Legend757
Topic Author

F9 Announces COS-MCO Nonstop, Daily

Wed Jun 29, 2016 3:14 pm

http://gazette.com/frontier-to-fly-to-o ... le/1579217

At the PHX inaugural today, Barry Biffle announced the third destination from COS this year, following LAS and PHX. Daily MCO, A320 service begins on October 30th. Timing isn't bad either except for perhaps cruise traffic. Frontier flew MCO from COS for a very short time in 2012-2013 I believe.

Departs COS 5:10PM- Arrives MCO 10:30PM
Departs MCO 8:50AM- Arrives COS 11:00AM

Great news for COS! Hopefully this trend will continue for the under served airport.

slcdeltarumd11

Re: F9 Announces COS-MCO Nonstop, Daily

Wed Jun 29, 2016 3:30 pm

I think the route has a chance
MCO is a leisure destination and they can probably pull in the people. Good luck and nice to see for COS, they need a few routes like this

usflyguy

Wed Jun 29, 2016 3:41 pm

Legend757 wrote:
Timing isn't bad either except for perhaps cruise traffic. Frontier flew MCO from COS for a very short time in 2012-2013 I believe.

Great news for COS! Hopefully this trend will continue for the under served airport.

Timing is horrible. No one wants to pay for an extra hotel night at the beginning of their vacation AND then again at the end of their vacation. Especially in an expensive vacation city like Orlando. The optimal time for a service like this would be something like a noon arrival and 2 pm departure.
My post is my ideas and my opinions only, I do not represent the ideas or opinions of anyone else or company.

usflyguy

Wed Jun 29, 2016 3:50 pm

How long until Allegiant announces COS-SFB?
My post is my ideas and my opinions only, I do not represent the ideas or opinions of anyone else or company.

wnflyguy

Wed Jun 29, 2016 3:59 pm

But this could work great for the Disney crowds! Especially with the Disney resort bags TOGO product you check out and check in your luggage hit the park or Pool one last time before you head to the airport.
This has a Disney vacation packages all over it!
I can see this doing well for the new ULLC F9.

COS is on WN radar with F9 growing south DEN I wouldn't put it past them to drop a few flights in also.
No one saw LGB coming so anything possible!

Flyguy
my post are my opinion only and not those of southwest airlines and or airtran airlines.

Vctony

Wed Jun 29, 2016 4:06 pm

I've never understood why neither AA nor WN serve PHX - COS.

Anyways, good news for COS and F9.

phluser

Wed Jun 29, 2016 4:07 pm

usflyguy wrote:
Legend757 wrote:
Timing isn't bad either except for perhaps cruise traffic. Frontier flew MCO from COS for a very short time in 2012-2013 I believe.

Timing is horrible. No one wants to pay for an extra hotel night at the beginning of their vacation AND then again at the end of their vacation. Especially in an expensive vacation city like Orlando. The optimal time for a service like this would be something like a noon arrival and 2 pm departure.

I agree that the timing isn't ideal, especially the late PM arrival flight. The late PM arrival flights atleast from cities I've flown into seem to have less demand. The AM flight outbound from MCO might not be a big deal. I don't think the AM flight out is so bad - anectodally, the AM flights out of MCO haven't been light load or lower fare.

And, I don't agree that Orlando/MCO is an expensive vacation city. Disney is expensive but there are cheap places by MCO or closer into the airport. Boston, New York and San Francisco are cities that are expensive vacation cities and where by the airport it's still expensive.

usflyguy

Wed Jun 29, 2016 4:13 pm

wnflyguy wrote:
But this could work great for the Disney crowds! Especially with the Disney resort bags TOGO product you check out and check in your luggage hit the park or Pool one last time before you head to the airport.

This is an 8:50 am departure out of MCO to COS... so passengers would need to be at the airport no later than 7:30, if they don't mind pushing the timing on a carrier with 1 flight a day. They will be leaving their hotels at about 6:30 am.

And with an arrival into MCO at 10:30 pm, passengers will be getting to their hotel rooms after midnight...

phluser wrote:
And, I don't agree that Orlando/MCO is an expensive vacation city. Disney is expensive but there are cheap places by MCO or closer into the airport.

True, and F9 passengers are probably more the Red Roof/Motel 6/McDonald's crowd than they are the Disney resort crowd.

enilria

Wed Jun 29, 2016 4:29 pm

Legend757 wrote:
Timing isn't bad either except for perhaps cruise traffic.

The schedule is only not bad if you have reversed the times. That's what really sucks is that the plane is in the air at times that it could provide a great schedule, but it's flying the wrong way both times.
usflyguy wrote:
Timing is horrible. No one wants to pay for an extra hotel night at the beginning of their vacation AND then again at the end of their vacation.

Yes, it is a horrible schedule, but beggars...choosers.

wnflyguy wrote:
Especially with the Disney resort bags TOGO product you check out and check in your luggage hit the park or Pool one last time before you head to the airport.

The Disney Magical Express bag delivery is notoriously slow. I'd suggest you not plan on seeing your bags before 6am.

dabpit

Wed Jun 29, 2016 4:39 pm

I mentioned possible MCO-COS service before so it is good to see it happening!

As for the times they are not ideal but it comes down to the utilization of the aircraft.
enilria wrote:
The Disney Magical Express bag delivery is notoriously slow. I'd suggest you not plan on seeing your bags before 6am.

I use to tell passengers on late arriving flights to take their bags with them as they may not see them till the next morning. The service is really bad for those on late night arriving flights.
Carpe Diem

phluser

Wed Jun 29, 2016 5:03 pm

usflyguy wrote:
True, and F9 passengers are probably more the Red Roof/Motel 6/McDonald's crowd than they are the Disney resort crowd.

Yeah, but there are better hotels like Holiday Inn and Marriotts by MCO with room rates under $100/night, providing ability for one to be in a comfortable bed before midnight, possibly without even needing to get a rental car when one is too tired to deal with that.

Also, many people drive into the Orlando region, avoiding flight entirely, and reach in by night, with that extra room night expense. If F9 can similarly offer a better flight experience with nonstop service (less time waste) from COS, and at a low fare, I'm sure many from COS will take that and deal with the extra room night expense.

Anecdotally, it gets expensive in Orlando around March close to Spring Break, and particularly applicable for the rental cars, where all rental car agencies are charging high. With hotel rooms, there generally is always cheaper places to stay. Granted, some places are quite undesirable.

ScottB

Wed Jun 29, 2016 5:54 pm

usflyguy wrote:

Absolutely true! Not just that, but with a 5 PM departure and 10:30 PM arrival going COS-MCO, you're probably going to be scrambling to find something for yourself (and your kids) to eat at one or both ends of the flight. An early departure from COS (say, 8 AM) gets you to your hotel around 3 PM to check in and relax around the pool for the rest of the afternoon, while a mid-afternoon departure allows for a leisurely morning in Orlando, getting home in time for a late dinner.

wnflyguy wrote:
Especially with the Disney resort bags TOGO product you check out and check in your luggage hit the park or Pool one last time before you head to the airport.

I doubt there's time to hit the park or pool before a 9 AM flight. You pretty much have to get the kids up by 5 AM in order to get the rental car returned and arrive at the ticket counter in time to check your bags & clear security.

enilria wrote:
The schedule is only not bad if you have reversed the times. That's what really sucks is that the plane is in the air at times that it could provide a great schedule, but it's flying the wrong way both times.

Not just that, but they do have a better schedule from DEN (except for the eastbound red-eye, unless you can get your kids to sleep on the plane).

lavalampluva

Wed Jun 29, 2016 6:21 pm

I dunno. Just seems like F9 is still trying to find their nitch. You would think that a 22 year old airline would have a much more solid route structure. They have been creating hubs/focus cities (Wilmington, Trenton) and cutting service to them almost as fast. Oddly enough major fortress hubs like Atlanta and OHare have been holding on pretty tight.

But maybe this route will work.
Remind me to send a thank you note to Mr. Boeing.

klwright69

Wed Jun 29, 2016 6:27 pm

It will be interesting if this route has a shot. I think it does. It is about time COS gets more service. The timings aren't great, but not terrible either. If you are traveling from Colorado to FL, I would hope that you have the money for a room the night you get there. If money is so tight, stay closer to home. Florida is always nice in the winter from Colorado. Maybe some people have work to do the day you leave on your trip.

With this timing you can get up the next morning already in your destination in FL. This is nice. To get to FL earlier in the day, you would have to get up very, very early. Or you can take a flight later in the morning and get there at 3 or 4 PM, in that case, you have spent your whole day traveling.

Not everyone has the same preference for timings.

mariner

Wed Jun 29, 2016 8:04 pm

usflyguy wrote:
Timing is horrible. No one wants to pay for an extra hotel night at the beginning of their vacation AND then again at the end of their vacation. Especially in an expensive vacation city like Orlando.

The optimal time for a service like this would be something like a noon arrival and 2 pm departure.

When you live where I do, you get well used to arriving at cities all over the world at that time of night, and later. It works well, especially with kids. You get to your hotel, have a good zizz and then have a full day at wherever it is.

To have everything arrive at MCO between noon and 2 pm would create interesting traffic jams - LOL.

mariner
aeternum nauta

phluser

Wed Jun 29, 2016 8:29 pm

enilria wrote:
The schedule is only not bad if you have reversed the times.

Atleast on the routes that I fly (F9 MCO-PHL, and NK MCO-ACY) the late PM flight from MCO back into the home city (PHL/ACY) doesn't appear to command highest fares, but the late morning one does.

From the first two weeks of July, F9 does fly MCO-PHL 3x daily and it does charge a premium for the middle, 10:40am flight, of the three flights (8:25am, 10:40am, 8:50pm) Between the 8:25am and 8:50pm flights, on more days the 8:25am flight has higher fares.

NK has two flights, an early morning and late evening. I can't see any greater pricing premium even this Sunday 7/3 on the MCO-ACY trips.

I fly Southwest on the MCO-PHL route as well, but they are irregular. They seem content charge business passenger fares (like $318 one-way) matching AA for the business passenger expectation, with no low fare option on short notice, but will be tolerable of planes half empty and less back into PHL (very applicable in the slower months like October). NK and F9 try to fill the planes to MCO and back to the max.

COS, is a different and smaller market much farther away from MCO. Maybe the route will be thin, but I have my doubts if it will be because of scheduling.

Polot

Wed Jun 29, 2016 8:38 pm

phluser wrote:
From the first two weeks of July, F9 does fly MCO-PHL 3x daily and it does charge a premium for the middle, 10:40am flight, of the three flights (8:25am, 10:40am, 8:50pm) Between the 8:25am and 8:50pm flights, on more days the 8:25am flight has higher fares.

That is because the evening flight arrives back at PHL so late (just after 11), meaning most people are not getting home until after midnight, then have to deal with putting kids to bed etc before going to bed themselves. That is not the most popular option with passengers who often have to go to work the next day.

Frontier14

Wed Jun 29, 2016 8:57 pm

Biffey spoke of some eastward expansion for F9 from COS if the new west flowing routes were meeting expectations. Good to see it for Colorado Springs. Despite the schedule that some find obstructive, having the flight available without having to travel the distance to KDEN will make a difference for some.

I will not be surprised if come next spring we do not see DFW announced by F9. AA has a monopoly on the route now and F9 could certainly pick up some of the VFR revenue.

Frontier 14

wnflyguy

Wed Jun 29, 2016 9:35 pm

usflyguy wrote:
wnflyguy wrote:

This is an 8:50 am departure out of MCO to COS... so passengers would need to be at the airport no later than 7:30, if they don't mind pushing the timing on a carrier with 1 flight a day. They will be leaving their hotels at about 6:30 am.

And with an arrival into MCO at 10:30 pm, passengers will be getting to their hotel rooms after midnight...

phluser wrote:
And, I don't agree that Orlando/MCO is an expensive vacation city. Disney is expensive but there are cheap places by MCO or closer into the airport.

My bad I miss read the flight time I thought the we're both PM flights.

Flyguy
my post are my opinion only and not those of southwest airlines and or airtran airlines.

n471wn

Wed Jun 29, 2016 11:18 pm

This airport is a gem waiting to be discovered and would attract so many people who wish to avoid DIA and it is the Oakland equivalent to SFO

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos