Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

dilsubha94
Topic Author

cleanliness of the aircraft cabin?

Sun Jul 03, 2016 7:54 am

I am about to be enrolled with an aviation course to become a cabin crew member. As I was surfing through internet I came across with this article http://www.wonderdiscovery.com/aircraft-cabin-clean/ And it says even passengers are getting exposed to various kinds of infections due to the less cleanliness of the air craft cabin. So what about the cabin crew? they'll be always dealing with various people and various items that can be contaminated?
Any ideas on this and preventative actions?

Airshipcenter

Re: cleanliness of the aircraft cabin?

Sun Jul 03, 2016 9:10 am

I think it depends on which airline and aircraft you are operating on, and which travel class.
Where are you from if I may ask?

Overall I wouldn't worry too much. Buses, trains, etc; all public transport have the same issues with exposure to large groups of other people and hygiene. If you can't handle it, it's not something for you. The best preventative is really just a good old handwashing before you eat.

aviationaware

Sun Jul 03, 2016 10:03 am

Pretty idiotic article, writer is totally witless. Bad english too.
How anyone could assume anything on a plane would ever be sterilized is beyond me. Of course it's only wiped down. Not in a million years is an aircraft cabin any more 'dangerous' with respect to contracting anything than any other public transport. Probably far safer than a bus or regional train.
Meanwhile, if you didn't grow up in a completely sanitary environment like some of those rich kids, you will be just fine. If as a child you have played outside and weren't just fed processed food that made you an allergy-monster, working on an aircraft won't expose you to any more sickness as working any other public space.

Dalmd88

Sun Jul 03, 2016 3:15 pm

One of the big miss truths about aircraft is cabin air quality. Many think the air is never replaced and airborne illnesses can spread like wild fire through the cabin. It is not one bit true. The air is constantly being recirculated through HEPA filters and new air is being added by the bleed system. Air quality is on par with what is required by hospitals for containment of airborne illness. Far better than most office spaces. Airflow tends to stay within each row with new air coming from above and exiting near your feet at the sidewall.

For the hard surfaces, most airlines clean every overnight. That should include a wipe off all tray tables and other hard surfaces. The carpets get vacuumed but there are still lots of peanuts and other debris stuck in the seat tracks under those plastic covers.

LimaFoxTango

Sun Jul 03, 2016 4:31 pm

Airshipcenter wrote:
I think it depends on which airline and aircraft you are operating on, and which travel class.

Are you suggesting first class has less germs than economy's?
You are said to be a good pilot when your take-off's equal your landings.

Airshipcenter

Sun Jul 03, 2016 8:48 pm

LimaFoxTango wrote:
Airshipcenter wrote:

Are you suggesting first class has less germs than economy's?

Yes, general hygiene is better, because there are less people altogether in first class. Isn't it quite obvious?

DTWPurserBoy

Sun Jul 03, 2016 9:28 pm

Aircraft cabins stay as clean as those that use them. The air is totally recirculated out about every three minutes. In 42 years I think I have caught about 5 colds total. If you have a passenger that is constantly sneezing or coughing, remind them to do it in their elbow and NOT facing anyone else.

Hand washing is the key--every two hours. Wear disposable gloves for collecting trash and wash immediately afterwards. NEVER handle used Kleenex, baby diapers, etc. without gloves.

Carry in your personal first aid kit these items--Sudafed for sinus blockages (the little red ones--take two to keep your eardrums from rupturing from a cold. Also carry a prescription for Ciprofloxacin (for intestinal parasites picked up from food/water), and Azithromycin (AKA a "Z-Pak) for sinus-chest congestions. I also carry those little zinc candies. Take them at the first sign of a scratchy throat or a runny nose and it will help knock a cold out right away. Add in some Tylenol, aspirin and anything that you personally like.

And unless you are in a certain clean environment do NOT drink the tap water. Water in most European countries and Japan is safe-otherwise use bottled water, especially for brushing your teeth. An old crew member trick is to place a towel over the faucet so that if you wake up during the night and go to grab a glass of water you will be reminded NOT to drink from the tap.
Qualified on Concorde/B707/B720/B727/B737/B747/B757/B767/B777/DC-8/DC-9/DC-10/A319/A320/A330/MD-88-90

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos