Austin- BA and Condor
San Jose- BA and LH
Orlando- Emirates
Atlanta- QR and TK
Oakland- Norwegian
Philadelphia- Qatar
Fort Lauderdale- Norwegian
Miami- QR and TK

How have these new/first Int'l destinations impacted growth/ traffic of these airports?

atcsundevil

Re: Airports that benefitted from new/first Int'l service

Tue Jul 05, 2016 1:37 am

It undoubtedly changes the dynamic of the region and, in many cases, legitimizes the airport's case for increased service (domestic and international). The trouble with most cities is clearing that first hurdle to bring that first carrier (or in some cases, the first carrier to an unserved region) in to take a chance. Subsidies and incentives only go so far. I live in PHX, and while we have Central America, Canada, and a daily BA to LHR, things have been relatively stagnant for a long time. Many hoped LH would return or that NH or JL would start service, but it's such a difficult task to overcome.

What remains to be seen in some of those cities you mentioned is if the service is indeed sustainable, which is the second biggest hurdle to clear. I would even add UA DEN-NRT to the list, because while DEN had existing international service to Europe, attracting UA for a meaningful int'l flight, and one to Asia no less, was many years in the making and took exactly the right aircraft to accomplish it. It has proved itself worthy of being an important route in UA's network. If a city like PHX can coax AA to similarly take the plunge that UA did in DEN (now that AA has the right equipment to fly the route), then that could be the tipping point for the region and open up the potential for increased service.

It is all such a lengthy and protracted process for cities to overcome, and is far easier said than done. Proving one's worth over hundreds of other options is a losing battle in many cases, but the numerous success stories (as with the cities/airlines you've mentioned) proves that there is hope to offer.

a380787

Tue Jul 05, 2016 2:02 am

ATL and MIA both had ample international service to begin with. AUS, on the other hand, got a major helping hand when BA arrived.

Whether YUL was truly helped by CA is still yet to be proven.

The Bay Area is definitely helped by being one of the rare metros globally that has long haul service from 3 airports. I was slightly surprised WOW chose SFO over OAK.

zkanz

Tue Jul 05, 2016 2:34 am

I would say that WLG and CBR will benefit from the new SQ SIN-CBR-WLG service which isn't too far away from commencing.

While WLG would need the runway extension to get a direct service to Asia, if SQ increase service and there are enough passengers traveling WLG-SIN, then the extension project may gain the support it needs. I doubt WLG will see a direct service to LAX (the most likely entrance point to the US) in the next 15-20 years even with the extension, but I could see 2 or even 3 Asian carriers jumping into WLG (CZ, CX, CI, HU, or even EK if they can get more 5th freedom AU-NZ rights).
CBR on the other hand has been looking for international service for years now, and has the facilities to handle flights, and the market could certainly handle a daily E190 or 738/320 service to AKL or WLG and this new service will test the waters for the CBR-Asia (and possibly connecting to Europe) market. I think that if there are enough passengers connecting to Europe, EK will jump into CBR.

bill142

Tue Jul 05, 2016 3:19 am

zkanz wrote:
I would say that WLG and CBR will benefit from the new SQ SIN-CBR-WLG service which isn't too far away from commencing.

While WLG would need the runway extension to get a direct service to Asia, if SQ increase service and there are enough passengers traveling WLG-SIN, then the extension project may gain the support it needs. I doubt WLG will see a direct service to LAX (the most likely entrance point to the US) in the next 15-20 years even with the extension, but I could see 2 or even 3 Asian carriers jumping into WLG (CZ, CX, CI, HU, or even EK if they can get more 5th freedom AU-NZ rights).
CBR on the other hand has been looking for international service for years now, and has the facilities to handle flights, and the market could certainly handle a daily E190 or 738/320 service to AKL or WLG and this new service will test the waters for the CBR-Asia (and possibly connecting to Europe) market. I think that if there are enough passengers connecting to Europe, EK will jump into CBR.

WLG & CBR have a lot of similarities. I doubt either will see long haul service to the US especially when both are located close to larger hubs of AKL & SYD/MEL

LamboAston

Tue Jul 05, 2016 4:41 am

Queenstown (ZQN) took off after it's first flight to Australia
AS350, B733/4/7/8, B744/8, B762/3, B77E/L/W, B789, A319, A320, A321, A332, A346, A380, AT73/5/6, Q300, Q400, CR2/7, E190, S340, B1900C/D, E110 (E for epic)
NZ, EK, QF, SQ, UA, US, CO, FZ, FR, U2, BA, VA, VS, MH, EI, EY, LH, EN, NM, TG, GZ

BoeingGuy

Tue Jul 05, 2016 4:50 am

KTPAFlyer wrote:
San Jose- BA and LH

BA and LH were not the first international overseas services at SJC. That's the tail wagging the dog.

NH starting SJC-NRT is what started SJC's expansion. HU, BA, and LH came after NH kicked off the growth of SJC. BA and LH are there because of NH.

migair54

Tue Jul 05, 2016 6:44 am

i can add some more to the list. Emirates has added few destination that we could discuss.

Adelaide, ADL, is very interesting, this flight opens the region to a huge number of possibilities via DXB with only 1 stop.

Yinchuan, INC, and Zhengzhou, CGO, in China were a big surprise when they were announced, but Emirates is looking for many more flights to China, however for our surprise EK started this two. I guess cargo is a very important factor for this route, but it could be a huge boost for the region to have this flight.

What about the non-stop flight to AKL, although not a new destination it's an interesting development, specially the way EK did, just few days after QR announced the intentions.

I am sure Lusaka, LUN, and Harare, HRE, were more than happy to get another airline in the list when EK started the flights, specially with such a big network to Asia and Europe, both had in the past few flights to Europe but I think now they had nothing, I am not sure if KLM is still in LUN.

With TK we could spend few hours here talking about destination were they are basically the "only" carrier. MBA, TNR, JRO, MGQ and many more.

slcdeltarumd11

Tue Jul 05, 2016 7:22 am

DL starting SLC-CDG. That flight was attacked on here, but now SLC sees 4x flights a day to europe in Summer. That flight started it all.

zkanz

Tue Jul 05, 2016 11:53 am

migair54 wrote:
What about the non-stop flight to AKL, although not a new destination it's an interesting development, specially the way EK did, just few days after QR announced the intentions.

I don't agree with this being of any more benefit to AKL than previous services already operating. Yes, it was a logical step for EK to to operate a non-stop and eliminating the stop in Australia for passengers connecting to other EK services at DXB (already operating 3x daily services via SYD/MEL/BNE), but the AKL-EU market is already served with connections offered in many places (Asia: HKG, NRT, SIN, PEK, PVG, CAN, BKK and KUL. NthAm: LAX, SFO, YVR, IAH). DXB simply offers a few more destinations than have previously not been one-stop away from AKL

commavia

Tue Jul 05, 2016 12:03 pm

Going back a bit further, RDU has certainly benefited - for years - from the early investment in (longhaul) international service dating back to when AA opened the hub there. While AA's ORY flights didn't last (and nor, obviously, did the hub), AA has consistently maintained nonstop service from RDU to LON for over two decades, first to LGW and now for over eight years to its JV hub at LHR, offering both nonstop access to Europe's largest and most important O&D market and onward connectivity to numerous global destinations.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos