Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

OzarkD9S
Topic Author

Miami Opa-Locka: Any Previous Commercial Service or Possible Future Service?

Tue Jul 05, 2016 3:41 pm

Has there been any commercial flights to OPF? Any chance of OPF being opened up to some commercial flights in the future?
"My soul is in the sky". -Pyramus- A Midsummer's Night Dream

bohica

Re: Miami Opa-Locka: Any Previous Commercial Service or Possible Future Service?

Tue Jul 05, 2016 4:52 pm

OzarkD9S wrote:
Has there been any commercial flights to OPF? Any chance of OPF being opened up to some commercial flights in the future?

OPF used to be a military base that was converted to general aviation. The only commercial service is an occasional charter. The airport currently does not have the infrastructure to support commercial flights. It doesn't have a passenger terminal with the associated airside and landside facilities needed to support such an operation.

OPF also sits about 8 miles north of MIA and 14 miles southwest of FLL. Because of that there is no need for commercial service at OPF.

You will see commercial airliners at OPF once in a while. There is a heavy maintenance facility there as well as an airplane scrapyard. The last time I was there there were a few MD-80's and 737's being parted out.

OzarkD9S
Topic Author

Re: Miami Opa-Locka: Any Previous Commercial Service or Possible Future Service?

Tue Jul 05, 2016 5:15 pm

[/quote]

OPF also sits about 8 miles north of MIA and 14 miles southwest of FLL. Because of that there is no need for commercial service at OPF.

You will see commercial airliners at OPF once in a while. There is a heavy maintenance facility there as well as an airplane scrapyard. The last time I was there there were a few MD-80's and 737's being parted out.[/quote]

LGA sits 11 miles NE of JFK and 17 miles NW of EWR. So it's not about need so much as judging from a satellite view of OPF there appears to be room for a small, maybe 10 gate terminal. If the OPF administrators wanted to persue the commercial option to raise revenues, are the any legal obstructions to them doing so?

My apologies, I haven't got this new quoting format down.
"My soul is in the sky". -Pyramus- A Midsummer's Night Dream

727LOVER

Tue Jul 05, 2016 5:33 pm

There was a carrier there about 5 or 6 years ago. I think it was called Day Air....don't quote me on that.

OzarkD9S wrote:

You will see commercial airliners at OPF once in a while. There is a heavy maintenance facility there as well as an airplane scrapyard. The last time I was there there were a few MD-80's and 737's being parted out.[/quote]

LGA sits 11 miles NE of JFK and 17 miles NW of EWR. So it's not about need so much as judging from a satellite view of OPF there appears to be room for a small, maybe 10 gate terminal. If the OPF administrators wanted to persue the commercial option to raise revenues, are the any legal obstructions to them doing so?

My apologies, I haven't got this new quoting format down.[/quote]

Way larger and denser population. Lejune road between MIA and OPF doesn't strike me as a high-income area.
"We must accept finite disappointment, but never lose infinite hope." - Martin Luther King, Jr.

s4popo

Tue Jul 05, 2016 5:36 pm

OzarkD9S wrote:

OPF is a county airport just like MIA. It would be a waste of taxpayer money to invest money into OPF when MIA can easily handle any incremental capacity that OPF would offer.

United_fan

Tue Jul 05, 2016 6:20 pm

OPF is not in the greatest of neighborhoods.
"Suspicion is a matter of opinion"

KFLLCFII

Tue Jul 05, 2016 7:30 pm

United_fan wrote:
OPF is not in the greatest of neighborhoods.

Neither is MIA...There isn't a whole lot that distinguishes the neighborhoods of either.

That said, MIA does have better expressway access, whereas OPF could stand to receive a direct-access extension of the Gratigny/SR924 if it were ever to receive regular air-carrier service.
"About the only way to look at it, just a pity you are not POTUS KFLLCFII, seems as if we would all be better off."

hivue

Tue Jul 05, 2016 7:43 pm

727LOVER wrote:
....don't quote me on that.

Sorry -- couldn't resist. The quoting procedure on the new site takes some getting used to.
"You're sitting. In a chair. In the SKY!!" ~ Louis C.K.

skybird77

Tue Jul 05, 2016 10:39 pm

But doesn't OPF have some old piston powered Convairs flying freight to the Bahamas? I often hear them flying over my office (in Miramar) on the downwind / upwind leg. Don't these count as commercial operations? A few weeks back I noticed there was one of the ILF CV580's out of MIA going to OPF every morning. Anyone know why?

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos