Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

arireznik
Topic Author

RUMOR: LH MUC to EZE?

Wed Jul 06, 2016 4:44 pm

There is a somewhat strong rumor going around in Argentinian aviation forums saying that Lufthansa will start Munich to Buenos Aires. They already fly from MUC to MEX and GRU, and they are doing quite good in FRA-EZE, so maybe it would make sense? Does anybody have real info on this? Thanks a lot! :) :)

NichCage

Re: RUMOR: LH MUC to EZE?

Wed Jul 06, 2016 6:51 pm

I think there a few good points to why this service will be launched. First of all, the demand for the route must exist. If you have Lufthansa flying FRA-EZE for so long, it makes sense to add MUC-EZE. The first point I have is that on Munich Airport's anna.aero route shop profile, EZE is listed as an demanded destination. Lufthansa tends to add services from Munich served from Frankfurt that perform well (such as IKA, DEN) and maybe it may happen. Munich Airport is becoming an major airport in Europe and is growing by destinations and passengers.

a380787

Wed Jul 06, 2016 6:57 pm

and of course, MUC's layout is far better than FRA from a connecting pax point-of-view. Everytime I pass through FRA it's harder than spinning plates while solving the Rubik's cube

SQ325

Wed Jul 06, 2016 8:01 pm

I heard some strong Rumors about MUC-GRU being CXX!
MUC-EZE would be a huge surprise.

ojjunior

Thu Jul 07, 2016 7:57 pm

SQ325 wrote:

I'm sorry but what's CXX?

NichCage

Thu Jul 07, 2016 9:17 pm

SQ325 means the the MUC-GRU could be cut due to the recession in brazil. Honestly, brazil is a bad place for airlines and some airlines (Korean Air, Singapore Airlines) have cut there routes to GRU.

dcajet

Thu Jul 07, 2016 11:10 pm

SQ325 wrote:

Two different markets with very different political and economic situations; no airline is running to the exit in Argentina, which is exactly what is happening in Brazil. Argentina is not in a recession and the country is projected to grow by 4% in 2017. The picture in Brazil is quite the opposite.

Germany and Argentina have strong business and VFR travel links, many Argentinians have German ancestry. Lufthansa is currently the #2 European carrier @ EZE in terms of passengers carried, only behind Iberia. A direct link to MUC has been rumoured for sometime now. I guess it depends on this potential service not cannibalizing the existing FRA service, which I don't think will be the case. Perhaps a MUC-EZE-SCL makes more sense, and FRA paxs can use EZE as a transfer point to SCL.

SCL has not been on the LH map for over 10 years now, and with AZ and BA starting service there, I wonder why LH keeps neglecting Chile.
Keep calm and wash your hands.

dennys

Mon Jul 11, 2016 2:53 pm

My dream would be a 747-8i FRA - MUC -EZE , with traffic right on the domestic sector

aviationaware

Mon Jul 11, 2016 6:30 pm

ojjunior wrote:

A colorful way of saying cancelled. I have heard canx before, never cxx tho.

Anyhow, it would be a nice surprise - but seeing how the Argentine economy is totally in the gutter and has been for years and years now, it would be a huge surprise indeed.

dcajet

Mon Jul 11, 2016 10:24 pm

aviationaware wrote:
ojjunior wrote:

A colorful way of saying cancelled. I have heard canx before, never cxx tho.

Anyhow, it would be a nice surprise - but seeing how the Argentine economy is totally in the gutter and has been for years and years now, it would be a huge surprise indeed.

Errr... I think you need to brush up your South American current politics/economics. 

aviationaware

Tue Jul 12, 2016 8:34 am

dcajet wrote:
Errr... I think you need to brush up your South American current politics/economics. 

Then enlighten me please. What I see is a per capita GDP that dropped 30% over the past two years (!), investment dropping for years now as well, exploding public debt, inflation from another galaxy, interest rates at almost 30%, extreme fluctuations in currency exchange rates, both exports and imports dropping like a rock - again, for years in a row.

How on earth do you expect me to see anything remotely positive in their economy? The latest news out of Argentina were a rapidly contracting industrial output, accompanied by mass layoffs and consumer confidence near the freezing point.

And you want to sell me a new long haul route there? Really?

steve6666

Tue Jul 12, 2016 4:34 pm

aviationaware wrote:
How on earth do you expect me to see anything remotely positive in their economy? The latest news out of Argentina were a rapidly contracting industrial output, accompanied by mass layoffs and consumer confidence near the freezing point.

Yes but they had an election in December which kicked the idiots out and resulted in a significantly more business friendly, non-Bolivarian, free market orientated President being voted in. The currency lost 50% of its value overnight because he put an end to the ridiculous charade that Kirschner was perpetuating, with an "official" exchange rate of about 10 to the dollar, whereas every spiv on the street in Buenos Aires would give you 15. The indications I'd heard reported were that, virtually overnight, Argentina's economics improved, but clearly that will take some time to feed through into annual trends.

I'd definitely rather be living in Argentina at the moment than Brazil. That said, I suspect starting MUC-EZE would cannibalise some of FRA-EZE, and, if true, I wouldn't expect it to be daily upon launch.
A306, A318, A319, A320, A321, A332, A333, A343, A346, A388, B722, B732, B733, B734, B735, B73G, B738, B742, B744, B752, B753, B762, B763, B764, B772, B773, B77W, B787-8, BAe-146, Cessna Something, DC-10, E175, E195, ERJ145, MD-11, MD-80, PA Something

aviationaware

Tue Jul 12, 2016 4:51 pm

steve6666 wrote:
The indications I'd heard reported were that, virtually overnight, Argentina's economics improved, but clearly that will take some time to feed through into annual trends.

Last I saw reported was poverty spiking after the new President took office. Now don't get me wrong, I am not judging this man or his policies at all - I was just stating that Argentina's economy was and is in terrible shape at the moment. If his reforms work mid to long term, then we might just as well see a MUC-EZE route - but not any time soon.

usflyer123

Tue Jul 12, 2016 6:13 pm

they should add it and cut the GRU route.
BTW, i is their MUC-CLT route is doing?(especially after the AA-US Airways meger).
for most people the sky is the limit. for those who love aviation, the sky is home...

dcajet

Tue Jul 12, 2016 11:18 pm

aviationaware wrote:
dcajet wrote:

Then enlighten me please. What I see is a per capita GDP that dropped 30% over the past two years (!), investment dropping for years now as well, exploding public debt, inflation from another galaxy, interest rates at almost 30%, extreme fluctuations in currency exchange rates, both exports and imports dropping like a rock - again, for years in a row.

A. I do not want to sell you anything.

B. The economy in Argentina was a time bomb that the previous government carefully assembled to explode on Macri's face. In only six months more has been done that in the previous twelve years. DIg a bit deeper for your information and look 2-3 years out and you will see a different picture. The IMF, the World Bank and scores of private firms can't all be wrong. Are you aware that after 15 years as a world deade beat Argentina has good credit standing again?

C. Believe what you want regarding aviation there - but allow me to tell you some of the facts.

1; Delta upgauging its flight to an A330-300 from 763/4.

2. AA adding the 77W to its 4 daily services there

3. UA upgauging from the 788 to the 772

4. Avianca opening a new airline there on Dec. 1st.

5. Irelandia Aviation (Ryan family of Ryanair fame) to open an LCC in Argentina in 2017

6. CM & LATAM opening new routes bypassing EZE

7. Air Europa adding COR, its second destination in the country, linking it to MAD

8. Air New Zealand is increasing its frequencies to EZE

9. KLM is doing the same from Oct.

10 Local powerhouses AR & AU are adding a new plane this year to their fleets to the tune of one a month. Concentrating mostly on increasing frequencies domestically; MIA just added a new, third daily flight on Th/Sa, one more frequency added to BCN amd FCO, new non stops flights to PUJ, and on the opposite end, axing service to HAV and cutting CCS to only 2x week.

So you see, in the big picture, LH adding another flight to MUC or not won't move the needle from its present + setting. But fact is all tha above airlines can't be wrong.

And don't expect to fix in 6 months what took 12 years to get to this point. Just look a bit beyond this year.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos