zchannel
Topic Author

Van Nuys Airport - Commercial Service

Fri Jul 08, 2016 4:23 pm

There is a Facebook group that celebrates the history of the San Fernando Valley in the greater LA area. One recent post in particular discussed Van Nuys airport (VNY) and the opening of Sherman Way underpass in 1953. Within this post is photograph of an American Airliners prop liner sitting atop of the pass.

I was always under the impression that VNY was always a general aviation airport and did not have any commercial service. The basic research I did could not confirm that VNY had ever had commercial ops either.

Can anyone familiar with the history of Los Angeles airports chime in? Myself and several respondents think the photo may actually be of LAX's Sepulveda under crossing. (I can't figure out how to post the photo here).

Thoughts?

Edited to include the link to the FB page:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/youknowyougrewupinthesanfernandovalleyif/permalink/1059596400743174/
Last edited by zchannel on Fri Jul 08, 2016 4:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ZChannel: Member FDIC

OA412

Re: Van Nuys Airport - Commercial Service

Fri Jul 08, 2016 4:27 pm

Do you have a link to the Facebook group?
Hughes Airwest - Top Banana In The West

wnflyguy

Fri Jul 08, 2016 4:58 pm

It's the LAX underpass I believe.
The only service VNY every had was Flying tigers freight airlines back during its early days before everything shifted to either BUR or LAX.

Flyguy
my post are my opinion only and not those of southwest airlines and or airtran airlines.

maxpower1954

Fri Jul 08, 2016 5:14 pm

Most people today don't realize it, but almost all airline training and check rides were performed in actual airplanes until the late 1980s, not in the very rudimentary simulators of the day. I know Ontario and Mojave were used in the LA basin for pilot training, and I'm guessing this AA DC-6 at VNY is there for this exact reason.

Russ Farris

timz

Re: Van Nuys

Fri Jul 08, 2016 5:22 pm

Van Nuys has appeared in the OAG several times-- no idea when its most recent appearance was. Never any big airlines like AA, of course.

It's a safe bet the pic is LAX. If it were Van Nuys, would we be looking east or west? Suspect if you go to Sherman Way and look you can rule out both possibilities.

knope2001

Fri Jul 08, 2016 9:51 pm

I believe all the Van Nuys service in the past several decades has been limited to occasional service from bottom-tier commuters using light <10 seat props. The last I see is from Skynet in 1994, a curious operation which served a bunch of general aviation airports in the LA basin briefly with peculiar multi-hop routings.

I don't have any record of anyone as notable as Golden West, Imperial, Golden Gate, Swift, Wings West, Inland Empire, WestAir, etc. flying there, nor anything as substantial as multiple flights to SAN, SFO, LAS, etc.

Wingtips56

Fri Jul 08, 2016 10:15 pm

It's so close to BUR, I wouldn't think VNY would need to exist for scheduled airline ops. Clay Lacy's charter fleet, though, was based at VNY IIRC.

I was going to chime in about Oxnard (OXR) having had scheduled airline service, but in looking at a map now, it's farther from VNY than I realized and therefore pretty much irrelevant to this discussion.
Worked for WestAir, Apollo Airways, Desert Pacific, Western, AirCal and American Airlines (Retired). Flight Memory: 181 airports, 92 airlines, 78 a/c types, 403 routes, 58 countries (by air), 6 continents. 1,119,414 passenger miles.

Home airport : CEC

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos