Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

FlyPeoria
Topic Author

American Eagle to Start CLT-CID/PIA 2x Daily Nov. 4!

Sat Jul 09, 2016 4:32 am

A news release on Peoria International Airport's website today announces that PSA Airlines dba American Eagle will begin two daily roundtrips between Peoria and Charlotte on November 4, 2016. Flights will be operated with 50-seat CRJ200s.

https://www.flypia.com/news.php?i=46

I'd expect this will heat up things with Delta [Connection] via Atlanta. I wonder if DL will shift capacity from Bloomington-Normal (BMI) to Peoria as a result?
Last edited by FlyPeoria on Sat Jul 09, 2016 5:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

FlyPeoria
Topic Author

Re: American Eagle to Start CLT-CID/PIA 2x Daily Nov. 4!

Sat Jul 09, 2016 5:22 am

I should add that Charlotte-Cedar Rapids (CID) is being added on the same date.

http://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/ne ... t-clt.html

CIDFlyer

Sat Jul 09, 2016 12:46 pm

I had long expected both PIA and CID would gain CLT service at some point so these are good adds! The flights will be a good alternative to DL/ATL and will provide 1 stop connections to some cities on AA in the southeast that previously required 2 stops. I see at CID DL is already stepping up by adding mainline 717 service October 1 to ATL. CID - CLT will be 2x CR7.

CIDFlyer

Sat Jul 09, 2016 12:51 pm

Forgot to add to this really builds up CLTs Midwest routes nicely. I recent years FWA, GRR, MSN, DSM SGF and OMA have been added to CLT and now PIA and CID. Down the road I think we could see maybe COU and CMI added. SPI, BMI and MLI could also be possible as they round out the network.

FlyPeoria
Topic Author

Sat Jul 09, 2016 1:25 pm

CIDFlyer wrote:
Forgot to add to this really builds up CLTs Midwest routes nicely. I recent years FWA, GRR, MSN, DSM SGF and OMA have been added to CLT and now PIA and CID. Down the road I think we could see maybe COU and CMI added. SPI, BMI and MLI could also be possible as they round out the network.

I could see MLI-CLT service in the not-too-distant future, and perhaps CLT-COU/CMI, but BMI is too close to PIA (notwithstanding existing duplication to ORD and DFW). I know officials there were trying to lure AA to start CLT service with a SCASD grant (which has probably expired anyway). It appears AA chose PIA over BMI this time.

IPFreely

Sat Jul 09, 2016 3:16 pm

FlyPeoria wrote:
I could see MLI-CLT service in the not-too-distant future.

These four airports -- CID, MLI, PIA, and BMI -- are in very small cities and are basically in a straight line down the interstate. Driving distances are 69 miles from CID to MLI, 94 miles from MLI to PIA, and 44 miles from PIA to BMI. Getting service to two of them (one of CID/MLI and one of PIA/BMI) should be considered a bonus considering their size and their driving distance to airports like ORD/MDW. Adding MLI-CLT would do nothing but cannibalize existing CID-CLT flights.

usflyer123

Sat Jul 09, 2016 3:36 pm

thats a nice addition to CID! CLT is much more convenient airport for connecting flights that ATL.
for most people the sky is the limit. for those who love aviation, the sky is home...

jbmitt

Sat Jul 09, 2016 3:37 pm

I don't know if very small is the way to describe CID, MLI, or PIA. CID services Cedar Rapids, Iowa City and much of eastern Iowa that would chose not to drive to DSM. There are in excess of 400k people in the combined areas with access to good jobs (Rockwell Collins), well educated (University of Iowa) and low unemployment.

Peoria and the Quad Cities have slightly smaller populations. Bloomington/Normal is about 200k.

FlyPeoria
Topic Author

Sat Jul 09, 2016 8:22 pm

jbmitt wrote:
I don't know if very small is the way to describe CID, MLI, or PIA. CID services Cedar Rapids, Iowa City and much of eastern Iowa that would chose not to drive to DSM. There are in excess of 400k people in the combined areas with access to good jobs (Rockwell Collins), well educated (University of Iowa) and low unemployment.

Peoria and the Quad Cities have slightly smaller populations. Bloomington/Normal is about 200k.

Based on 2011 estimates, Peoria's MSA has 380,000 people, The Quad Cities have 381,000 and Bloomington-Normal has 171,000.

CIDFlyer

Sun Jul 10, 2016 12:51 am

IPFreely wrote:
FlyPeoria wrote:
I could see MLI-CLT service in the not-too-distant future.

These four airports -- CID, MLI, PIA, and BMI -- are in very small cities and are basically in a straight line down the interstate. Driving distances are 69 miles from CID to MLI, 94 miles from MLI to PIA, and 44 miles from PIA to BMI. Getting service to two of them (one of CID/MLI and one of PIA/BMI) should be considered a bonus considering their size and their driving distance to airports like ORD/MDW. Adding MLI-CLT would do nothing but cannibalize existing CID-CLT flights.

I wouldnt characterize these cities as "small" necessarily. They are fairly decent sized. The same four markets all support flights to ATL & DFW as well as Allegiant flights too.

jbmitt wrote:

exactly...Speaking for my area Cedar Rapids & Iowa City metros combined (Linn, Benton, Jones, Johnson, Washington Counties in Iowa) account for over 400,000 people and as you mention contains the U of Iowa, and large employers like Rockwell as you mentioned, and Transamerica, among others. CID also pulls a lot of people in from the Waterloo/Cedar Falls market which is about another 150,000 or so people (and also contains the University of Northern Iowa) , the airport has been serving over 1 million pax the last 2 years so I wouldnt say small by any means. With that said I'm glad CID is getting this service before MLI, the two airports have competed a lot since the days when AirTran was at MLI. CID does well with its flights, its similar to MLI but does have Frontier and flights to LAX on G4 that MLI doesn't have.

panam330

Sun Jul 10, 2016 3:47 am

Looks like the CLT-CID flights have been loaded as CR7s. Nice to see some more dual-class service to the Midwest.

washingtonflyer

Tue Jul 12, 2016 8:46 am

I see the pulldown of CLT continues....... /sarcasm

etops1

Tue Jul 12, 2016 9:18 am

Do you guys think they will add CLT-ICT in the future ?

usflyer msp

Tue Jul 12, 2016 3:43 pm

etops1 wrote:
Do you guys think they will add CLT-ICT in the future ?

I think ICT, GRB, SHV, HOU and FNT are all good bets to receive CLT service in the relatively near future...

CIDFlyer

Tue Jul 12, 2016 5:55 pm

I could see TOL maybe getting some CLT serivce at some point as well. Would be a nice balance to the ORD flights

USAirALB

Tue Jul 12, 2016 6:40 pm

GRB, HOU, ICT, SHV all seem like safe bets from CLT. I am surprised US never attempted SHV.

US used to fly MDW-CLT, but that was when FL and TZ were both flying the route. I wonder if AA would ever restart the route, although that would require reopening a station.

I can't see anything else being added domestically for the time being. US attempted CLT-TUS and it didn't work out, although this was during the recession. CLT-ABQ was also attempted last year and it didn't work out either. I think AA could easily make CLT-SNA work if they have the slots.

US used to do CLT-EGE with a 757, and I feel like AA could make it work on a seasonal basis. I wonder if CLT-COS would work as well. That could probably be flown with an E-jet.
RJ85, F70, E135, E140, E145, E70, E75, E90, CR2, CR7, CR9, 717, 732, 733, 734, 735, 73G, 738, 739, 744ER, 752, 753, 762, 772, 77E, 77W, 789, 319, 320, 321, 332, 333, 343, 359, 388

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos