dubaiamman243
Topic Author

Airline of the year: Emirates

Tue Jul 12, 2016 2:40 pm

In a gala ceremony held at Farnborough Airshow, Skytrax today presented the 2016 World Airline Awards. Top leaders and management personnel from over 40 airlines from across the globe attended the event, where Emirates was voted the World’s Best Airline by air travellers.

Top ten Airlines of the year
1. Emirates
2. Qatar Airways
3. Singapore Airlines
4. Cathay Pacific
5. ANA All Nippon Airways
6. Etihad Airways
7. Turkish Airlines
8. EVA Air
9. Qantas Airways
10. Lufthansa

Top 10 airlines in the Middle East:
1. Emirates
2. Qatar Airways
3.Etihad Airways
4. Oman Airways
5. Gulf Air
6.Saudia
7. Royal Jordanian
8. FlyDubai
9.Middle East Airlines
10. Air Arabia

The Best Airlines in Africa
1 South African Airways
2 Air Seychelles
3 Air Mauritius
4 Ethiopian Airlines
5 Kenya Airways
6 TAAG Angola Airlines
7 Kulula
8 Mango
9 Royal Air Maroc
10 Air Austral

The Best Airlines in Asia
1 Singapore Airlines
2 Cathay Pacific
3 ANA All Nippon Airways
4 EVA Air
5 Garuda Indonesia
6 Hainan Airlines
7 Thai Airways
8 Asiana Airlines
9 Bangkok Airways
10 Japan Airlines

The Best Airlines in Australia/Pacific
1 Qantas Airways
2 Air New Zealand
3 Virgin Australia
4 Jetstar Airways
5 Fiji Airways
6 Tiger Airways (Australia)
7 Air Tahiti Nui
8 AirCalin
9 Air Vanuatu
10 Solomon Airlines

The Best Airlines in Europe
1 Turkish Airlines
2 Lufthansa
3 Air France
4 Swiss Int'l Air Lines
5 Austrian
6 KLM
7 British Airways
8 Finnair
9 Virgin Atlantic
10 Norwegian

The Best Airlines in North America
1 Virgin America
2 Air Canada
3 Delta Air Lines
4 Porter Airlines
5 WestJet
6 jetBlue Airways
7 Alaska Airlines
8 Southwest Airlines
9 United Airlines
10 Hawaiian Airlines

Source: http://www.worldairlineawards.com/Award ... egion.html
The next airline CEO :crossfingers:

dubaiamman243
Topic Author

Re: Airline of the year: Emirates

Tue Jul 12, 2016 9:26 pm

Emirates also won 'Best Airline in the Middle East', 'Best IFE' awards too

MaverickM11

Tue Jul 12, 2016 9:51 pm

7 abreast in J and 10 abreast in Y where the shorthaul catering choice is "mutton or mutton". Nope.
E pur si muove -Galileo

a380787

Tue Jul 12, 2016 10:04 pm

As expected, Star carriers are well represented among the ranks (queue the echo chamber about how Skytrax is all paid and rigged)

• 5 out of the Top 10 globally (SQ, NH, TK, BR, LH)
  • 2 out of the Top 5 in Africa (SA, ET), and 3 out of Top 10 to if you wanna count Mango as a "Star Connecting Partner"
  • 5 out of the Top 10 in Asia (SQ, NH, BR, TG, OZ)
  • 1 out of the Top 3 in Australia/Pacific (NZ)
  • 4 out of the Top 5 in Europe (TK, LH, LX, OS)
  • 1 out of the Top 3 in North America (AC)

Nabz82

Tue Jul 12, 2016 10:08 pm

Congratulations to Emirates.! Well deserved, it's clear they're doing many things right, and from experience, they are.!

TruemanQLD

Tue Jul 12, 2016 10:14 pm

dubaiamman243 wrote:

The Best Airlines in Australia/Pacific
1 Qantas Airways
2 Air New Zealand
3 Virgin Australia
4 Jetstar Airways
5 Fiji Airways
6 Tiger Airways (Australia)
7 Air Tahiti Nui
8 AirCalin
9 Air Vanuatu
10 Solomon Airlines

Source: http://www.worldairlineawards.com/Award ... egion.html

Doing the top 10 Airlines in Australia/Pacific pretty much counts all the airlines there are.... The only ones operating anything 737 size or bigger missing from the list is Air Niugini and Nauru Airlines (that I can think of...)

ElPistolero

Wed Jul 13, 2016 1:22 am

a380787 wrote:
As expected, Star carriers are well represented among the ranks (queue the echo chamber about how Skytrax is all paid and rigged)

• 5 out of the Top 10 globally (SQ, NH, TK, BR, LH)
  • 2 out of the Top 5 in Africa (SA, ET), and 3 out of Top 10 to if you wanna count Mango as a "Star Connecting Partner"
  • 5 out of the Top 10 in Asia (SQ, NH, BR, TG, OZ)
  • 1 out of the Top 3 in Australia/Pacific (NZ)
  • 4 out of the Top 5 in Europe (TK, LH, LX, OS)
  • 1 out of the Top 3 in North America (AC)

Probably because it's as nonsensical as ever. Cursory glance suggests that LH's overall ranking relative to its performance in many of the top 10 lists seems a bit high; if it's warranted, AF and QF have been shortchanged. Similarly, LH IFE superior to DL? Or, for that matter, LX J seats being top 10 in the world - there is no way they're better than AC J on any aircraft.

The LH group has fared a little too well ... certainly better than its generally mediocre products warrant.

HGL

Wed Jul 13, 2016 2:00 am

19.2 million passengers voted out of how many carried world wide? IATA estimates that 3.568 billion passengers were be carried in year 2015 so the sample is quite small. Most people simply haven't expressed an opinion through Skytrax, although they may have done so to individual airlines or other consumer review sites.

That some airlines appear to do well compared to others may simply be a product of their wider network or number of passengers carried. For example, while I would expect Qantas to rank highly in Australia, I would expect it to rank lower internationally simply due to it flying to so few locations overseas. But that would not be an actual reflection of the quality of pre-departure or on-board service. Another factor is that full service airlines and low cost carriers are included in the same categories so that apples are being compared with koalas.

I do note however that Emirates does less well in terms of its First Class product according to the results. 6th overall and even with its on-board showers on the A380, ranks only 4th for First Class Comfort Amenities.
Qui omnes despicit, omnibus displicit.

Viscount724

Wed Jul 13, 2016 2:31 am

As soon as I see "Skytrax" I stop reading.Their rankings are best ignored.

787fan8

Wed Jul 13, 2016 2:43 am

Something tells me Emirates will recieve a 5 star rating within the next 5 years, that is unless they start to decline in service.
Atlanta is an incredibly cool city - Andrew Lincoln

Future Auburn graduate

HGL

Wed Jul 13, 2016 5:34 am

787fan8 wrote:
Something tells me Emirates will recieve a 5 star rating within the next 5 years, that is unless they start to decline in service.

The Airline of the Year Award and Airline Ratings are two completely separate things. The first is decided by votes given by passengers and is ofetn highly subjective. The latter is meant to bethe result of an audit of the airlines based on objective criteria.

Product consistency is one area of judgement. Given that Skytrax have previously stated that an airline seating 10 abreast in a Boeing 777 would not be considered Skytrax would have to change the criteria before Emirates could be considered. In 2016 ANA All Nippon Airways, Asiana Airlines, Cathay Pacific Airways, EVA Air, Garuda Indonesia, Hainan Airlines, Qatar Airways and Singapore Airlines were considered at 5-Star standard.

chrisrad

Wed Jul 13, 2016 7:12 am

I find it laughable that an airline with such substandard business class products can win airline of the year. 15yr old sloping 7 across seats on the 77W fleet, sardine can narrow width seats on the A380. 10 Across in Y. Completely inconsistent cabin crew, DXB where you need a personal electric scooter to manage the airport. Unfortunately in their case, biggest is not always best, and there are too many inconsistencies across many areas for an 'Airline of the Year' award.
Welcome aboard Malaysia Airlines! Winner of Best Cabin Staff 2001,2002,2003,2004,2007,2009,2012

DL747400

Wed Jul 13, 2016 1:01 pm

dubaiamman243 wrote:
.....Skytrax today presented the 2016 World Airline Awards. Top leaders and management personnel from over 40 airlines from across the globe attended the event, where Emirates was voted the World’s Best Airline by air travellers.

Indeed....... Congratulations to EK for being the highest bidder for this transparent, meaningless award. Everyone knows that Skytrax awards go to the highest bidder and that certain easy-to-figure-out carriers routinely buy their way into the list.

Congratulations are also in order for Skytrax, for convincing companies to purchase status in this survey. News flash: Consumers and air travelers around the world pay no attention to anything with the name Skytrax.
From First to Worst: The history of Airliners.net.

All posts reflect my opinions, not those of my employer or any other company.

mugler

Thu Jul 14, 2016 12:27 am

So what about South America??

dubaiamman243
Topic Author

Thu Jul 14, 2016 4:10 pm

mugler wrote:

1. LAN Airlines
2. Azul Linhas Aéreas Brasileiras
3. Avianca
4. TAM Airlines
5. Sky Airline
6. Aerolineas Argentinas
7. Easyfly
8. Gol
9. Austral Líneas Aéreas
10. VivaColombia

mugler

Thu Jul 14, 2016 9:36 pm

dubaiamman243 wrote:
mugler wrote:

1. LAN Airlines
2. Azul Linhas Aéreas Brasileiras
3. Avianca
4. TAM Airlines
5. Sky Airline
6. Aerolineas Argentinas
7. Easyfly
8. Gol
9. Austral Líneas Aéreas
10. VivaColombia

Thanks! Surprised Azul is on top of Avianca. Does the North America include airlines from Canada, US, Mexico, Caribbean and Central America?

MaRoFu

Thu Jul 14, 2016 9:49 pm

Yet SkyTrax hasn't given Emirates 5 Stars... Very surprising. Same thing with Etihad Airways.
Airports I have been to:
DFW, EWR, IAH, JFK, LAS, LGA, MCO, MIA, NRT, ORD, PHL, PHX, SEA, SLC, YTZ, YYZ

MaxxFlyer

Thu Jul 14, 2016 11:42 pm

I find it funny that when Skytrax awards are announced, so many people dismiss them as laughable. Most posts so far on this thread are congratulating Emirates. Had the winner been, say Delta, would there be the same praise, or do we go back to the invalidity of Skytrax?

julio777

Fri Jul 15, 2016 12:35 am

Congratulation Emirates....! Despite the 10 abreast seat in economy they know how to keep the passangers entertainted by having the best and most comprehensive inflight entertainment system, so the passangers would forget about being in 10 abreast seat. I think that's a smart strategy. They also have demonstrated remarkable marketing strategy execution ...which many people love...just amazing.

cheers

DL747400

Fri Jul 15, 2016 1:45 am

MaxxFlyer wrote:
Had the winner been, say Delta, would there be the same praise, or do we go back to the invalidity of Skytrax?

Absolutely people would be still be proclaiming the fact that Skytrax ratings are meaningless. The reputation of Skytrax is well known.
From First to Worst: The history of Airliners.net.

All posts reflect my opinions, not those of my employer or any other company.

chrisrad

Fri Jul 15, 2016 2:53 am

MaxxFlyer wrote:
I find it funny that when Skytrax awards are announced, so many people dismiss them as laughable. Most posts so far on this thread are congratulating Emirates. Had the winner been, say Delta, would there be the same praise, or do we go back to the invalidity of Skytrax?

The same applies to any airline who wins the award. EK has too many inconsistencies across the board to warrant 'airline of the year'. Considering a few years ago they barely made it to the top 10, it's surprising. Not saying they are bad, they are good at many things, however not fantastic in many areas as well.
Welcome aboard Malaysia Airlines! Winner of Best Cabin Staff 2001,2002,2003,2004,2007,2009,2012

Flyinggeek33

Fri Jul 15, 2016 3:36 am

I still prefer SQ though I never flown QR. I wonder if SQ ever win the first. As for CX, I will say that they are great just a little overrated.

HGL

Fri Jul 15, 2016 4:16 am

chrisrad wrote:
The same applies to any airline who wins the award. EK has too many inconsistencies across the board to warrant 'airline of the year'. Considering a few years ago they barely made it to the top 10, it's surprising.

I am not surprised at all. Remember that the Airline of the Year Award is not based on objective criteria comparisons across all airlines. It is not an audit to see how an airline matches those criteria. It is the subjective vote of passengers who elect to participate.

This means you can have people voting who have only ever flown on one airline as well as those who have flown on many and who are in a better position to make a comparison. The vote can be influenced, not by throwing a generous bundle of cash into Skytrax's coffers but by the simple (and a lot cheaper) expedient of an airline using its Facebook page to solicit votes or by sending an email to all its loyalty programme members.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos