Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

 
User avatar
chrisnh
Topic Author
Posts: 4135
Joined: Tue Jun 29, 1999 3:59 am

EKA380: Who gets it first, SEA, ORD, BOS

Wed Jul 13, 2016 10:44 pm

With so many A380s to deploy, which of these three cities will likely see it first? All are at various stages of 'readiness' for the A380.
 
User avatar
piedmontf284000
Posts: 470
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2016 12:00 pm

Re: EKA380: Who gets it first, SEA, ORD, BOS

Wed Jul 13, 2016 10:53 pm

BOS at 2 to 1 odds. ORD at 3 to 1. SEA at 5 to 1.
 
FlyPeoria
Posts: 450
Joined: Wed Oct 05, 2005 7:30 am

Re: EKA380: Who gets it first, SEA, ORD, BOS

Wed Jul 13, 2016 11:08 pm

piedmontf284000 wrote:
BOS at 2 to 1 odds. ORD at 3 to 1. SEA at 5 to 1.


Remember that EK is using an A380 on a scheduled ORD flight July 19. Probably a test for a future deployment.
 
Ammad
Posts: 333
Joined: Sun Feb 09, 2014 8:10 pm

Re: EKA380: Who gets it first, SEA, ORD, BOS

Wed Jul 13, 2016 11:11 pm

ORD, BOS, SEA. In this order.
 
User avatar
HALtheAI
Posts: 296
Joined: Wed Feb 04, 2015 8:30 pm

Re: EKA380: Who gets it first, SEA, ORD, BOS

Wed Jul 13, 2016 11:36 pm

SEA can't even handle it and last I heard, they don't intend to redo the runway layout to accommodate it.
 
dfwjim1
Posts: 2469
Joined: Fri Sep 09, 2011 8:46 pm

Re: EKA380: Who gets it first, SEA, ORD, BOS

Wed Jul 13, 2016 11:46 pm

Lol...DFW
 
jcwr56
Posts: 984
Joined: Wed Jul 04, 2012 11:36 am

Re: EKA380: Who gets it first, SEA, ORD, BOS

Thu Jul 14, 2016 1:06 am

MCO
 
User avatar
chrisnh
Topic Author
Posts: 4135
Joined: Tue Jun 29, 1999 3:59 am

Re: EKA380: Who gets it first, SEA, ORD, BOS

Thu Jul 14, 2016 1:18 am

I agree on the ORD-BOS sequence; EK has announced a trial flight for ORD but not BOS. But I do think both cities will debut the A380 within months of each other.
 
wedgetail737
Posts: 5287
Joined: Mon Aug 04, 2003 8:44 am

Re: EKA380: Who gets it first, SEA, ORD, BOS

Thu Jul 14, 2016 2:34 am

SEA's runways are not equipped to handle the A380. The 747-8 is pushing it.
 
Fatbus
Posts: 42
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2016 9:14 am

Re: EKA380: Who gets it first, SEA, ORD, BOS

Thu Jul 14, 2016 3:00 am

Sea is code F compliant, EK uses it as an enroute alt. Recurrent sim training used Sea . 1 380 gate.
 
airway1
Posts: 150
Joined: Wed Apr 23, 2014 6:02 am

Re: EKA380: Who gets it first, SEA, ORD, BOS

Thu Jul 14, 2016 5:36 am

BOS doesn't need a test trial for the A380 as Logan gets diverted A380 flights from NYC in winter. I think its an approved airport as per FAA regulation.
 
User avatar
PerfectGriffin
Posts: 539
Joined: Thu Jun 16, 2016 7:35 am

Re: EKA380: Who gets it first, SEA, ORD, BOS

Thu Jul 14, 2016 6:44 am

Think it will be ORD since BOS and SEA are already served twice daily.
 
Cipango
Posts: 1498
Joined: Wed Jul 22, 2009 3:55 pm

Re: EKA380: Who gets it first, SEA, ORD, BOS

Thu Jul 14, 2016 9:07 am

airway1 wrote:
BOS doesn't need a test trial for the A380 as Logan gets diverted A380 flights from NYC in winter. I think its an approved airport as per FAA regulation.

Also British Airways are operating the A380 to BOS next February and March.
Let's fly! Unless it's on a CRJ 200, then I'll stay down here.
 
User avatar
chrisnh
Topic Author
Posts: 4135
Joined: Tue Jun 29, 1999 3:59 am

Re: EKA380: Who gets it first, SEA, ORD, BOS

Thu Jul 14, 2016 10:09 am

Although several A380s have diverted to Boston (Singapore, Korean, AF, EK, LH and maybe others), none of them pulled up to a gate to deplane and receive passengers I don't believe. As diversions, they landed and parked and waited things out. The BA 'trial' is pretty much a series of 'familiarization flights' as I see it, to get the folks on the ground a sense of the mechanics involved...from how the plane and the jetways operate together all the way to CBP and what kind of 'flow time' penalties an A380 presents. Being in the dead of winter, I don't believe any of these BA A380 flights will be as 'full' as might be expected over the summer months, so it isn't because the capacity is needed.

As for EK, it poses an interesting situation because now they pull the 777-300ER over to C after it empties out from Dubai...a scenario they won't be able to accommodate with the A380. So if only one of these A380-capable gates is ready this winter, and BA is using it, then EK will have to wait until the 2nd one is ready. BA isn't going to want their A380 towed away so EK can have the gate. EK is on the ground for around 10 hours; the BA flight only 2-3. And I can't see EK putting the A380 on their daytime flight out of Boston, because that is the weaker performer. Perhaps they will 'trial' the A380 on the morning inbound because it's pretty much a dead terminal when he comes in and goes back out.
 
soectre99
Posts: 26
Joined: Mon Apr 11, 2016 11:35 am

Re: EKA380: Who gets it first, SEA, ORD, BOS

Thu Jul 14, 2016 11:15 am

Surely BOS, I fly PER-BOS quite regularly on CX, QR or EK. EK is always 95-100% 773 capacity, with mainly passengers from Southern Asia connections.
 
dubaiamman243
Posts: 1153
Joined: Tue Jan 13, 2015 8:00 pm

Re: EKA380: Who gets it first, SEA, ORD, BOS

Thu Jul 14, 2016 11:34 am

I would say ORD, BOS then SEA
The next airline CEO :crossfingers:
 
airbazar
Posts: 10197
Joined: Wed Sep 10, 2003 11:12 pm

Re: EKA380: Who gets it first, SEA, ORD, BOS

Thu Jul 14, 2016 12:29 pm

BOS will be fist for sure. The only reason EK has not operated a trial to BOS is because there is nothing to try out yet. The A380 gates at BOS will be ready at the end of this year and I would be surprised if we don't see an EK A380 operating here for the busy Christmas season.
BA has already announced A380 service for February, so I guarantee you that EK won't want to be upstaged at BOS.
 
UAEflyer
Posts: 1265
Joined: Thu Nov 02, 2006 8:29 pm

Re: EKA380: Who gets it first, SEA, ORD, BOS

Thu Jul 14, 2016 4:20 pm

BOS, SEA & ORD all will get the A380 in 2017
 
alexinwa
Posts: 878
Joined: Fri Sep 29, 2000 2:08 pm

Re: EKA380: Who gets it first, SEA, ORD, BOS

Thu Jul 14, 2016 4:31 pm

UAEflyer wrote:
BOS, SEA & ORD all will get the A380 in 2017


Where will they Park it? Cargo ramp? SEA has a shortage of W/B gates as is. I doubt they will lose it for a single 380.
You mad Bro???
 
User avatar
Stitch
Posts: 27308
Joined: Wed Jul 06, 2005 4:26 am

Re: EKA380: Who gets it first, SEA, ORD, BOS

Thu Jul 14, 2016 4:44 pm

Fatbus wrote:
Sea is code F compliant, EK uses it as an enroute alt. Recurrent sim training used Sea . 1 380 gate.

alexinwa wrote:
UAEflyer wrote:
BOS, SEA & ORD all will get the A380 in 2017

Where will they Park it (at SEA)? Cargo ramp? SEA has a shortage of W/B gates as is. I doubt they will lose it for a single 380.


As noted by Fatbus, SEA can handle an emergency diversion of an A380, but as of 2015, the airport did not have a master plan in place to accommodate normal A380 operations due to the wingspan. While the 747-8 and A380-800 are both FAA Category F due to their wingspans, the 747-8's span is 37 feel less than the A380's and that makes a difference as the 747-8's wing can clear Taxiway B with traffic on it when operating on Runway 19L / 34R whereas the A380's cannot. So Taxiway B traffic would need to be held while the A380 was on 19L / 34R.

That being said, a single daily A380 operation would not impact SEA too much, so I could see the airport developing a plan to accommodate a daily service from EK to replace the two-daily 777 services.

http://www.bizjournals.com/seattle/news ... -into.html

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/ ... _diagram(2).svg/2000px-Seattle-Tacoma_International_Airport_diagram(2).svg.png
 
Sooner787
Posts: 2728
Joined: Thu Jul 18, 2013 1:44 am

Re: EKA380: Who gets it first, SEA, ORD, BOS

Thu Jul 14, 2016 5:29 pm

DFW on September 1st :) :)
 
airbazar
Posts: 10197
Joined: Wed Sep 10, 2003 11:12 pm

Re: EKA380: Who gets it first, SEA, ORD, BOS

Thu Jul 14, 2016 5:35 pm

Stitch wrote:
While the 747-8 and A380-800 are both FAA Category F due to their wingspans, the 747-8's span is 37 feel less than the A380's and that makes a difference as the 747-8's wing can clear Taxiway B with traffic on it when operating on Runway 19L / 34R whereas the A380's cannot. So Taxiway B traffic would need to be held while the A380 was on 19L / 34R.


IIRC the main issue with the A380 vs. 748 is not so much the wingspan but the outboard engines which are further out on the A380 thus putting the jet blast over the "grass" where it can lift a lot of debris as opposed to over the taxiway. BOS's plan is to do just that, to hold adjacent traffic when the A380 is taxiing. Fortunately for BOS there have been enough diversions here so the folks should know how to handle it by now.
 
jreuschl
Posts: 412
Joined: Tue Jul 28, 2009 3:04 am

Re: EKA380: Who gets it first, SEA, ORD, BOS

Thu Jul 14, 2016 5:36 pm

So ORD is set for A380 now?
 
Galvan
Posts: 9
Joined: Thu Aug 06, 2015 5:06 pm

Re: EKA380: Who gets it first, SEA, ORD, BOS

Thu Jul 14, 2016 6:51 pm

ORD is set for A380 services. T5 gate M11 can now Handle the A380, RWY 28/10C will be able to handle the aircraft. EK will be sending the A380 into ORD 7/19 as a trial run.
 
jcwr56
Posts: 984
Joined: Wed Jul 04, 2012 11:36 am

Re: EKA380: Who gets it first, SEA, ORD, BOS

Thu Jul 14, 2016 11:48 pm

Galvan wrote:
ORD is set for A380 services. T5 gate M11 can now Handle the A380, RWY 28/10C will be able to handle the aircraft. EK will be sending the A380 into ORD 7/19 as a trial run.


I'll split hairs, I would say ORD is in theory ready to handle the A380. Between Air traffic, taxiways and operations from the aircraft arriving at the gate, to attaching the dual bridges (which was just trail run on a LH 748 today, it was interesting to see a bridge attached to the upper deck door) to roadways closures on push back, hold room issues to ticket counter queuing. Lets not get too excited EK or anyone else will be rushing to start service.

After Tuesdays EK flight, they'll be plenty of meetings to discuss what went wrong to, oh s**t, how was this missed items.

ORD will get its' 380 but not before next summer.
 
Galvan
Posts: 9
Joined: Thu Aug 06, 2015 5:06 pm

Re: EKA380: Who gets it first, SEA, ORD, BOS

Fri Jul 15, 2016 3:37 am

jcwr56 wrote:
I'll split hairs, I would say ORD is in theory ready to handle the A380. Between Air traffic, taxiways and operations from the aircraft arriving at the gate, to attaching the dual bridges (which was just trail run on a LH 748 today, it was interesting to see a bridge attached to the upper deck door) to roadways closures on push back, hold room issues to ticket counter queuing. Lets not get too excited EK or anyone else will be rushing to start service.


ORD will get its' 380 but not before next summer.



Very good points. I might be mistaken, but ORD has been able to take A380 diversions at least since January?


On the Subject of A380 service.

Do you see LH and/or BA being the airlines that bring the 380 into ORD in addition to EK?

Does the newly announced ORD expansion plans include more 380 capable gates?
 
UAEflyer
Posts: 1265
Joined: Thu Nov 02, 2006 8:29 pm

Re: EKA380: Who gets it first, SEA, ORD, BOS

Fri Jul 15, 2016 10:52 am

SEA will be A380 ready by the second half on 2017, although EK should have some respect to Boeing and don't send A380 to their territory
 
cloud4000
Posts: 484
Joined: Fri Dec 12, 2003 3:38 am

Re: EKA380: Who gets it first, SEA, ORD, BOS

Fri Jul 15, 2016 1:02 pm

Correct if I'm wrong, but BOS doesn't have the gate facilities to handle a 380? I know EK said it would like to do double daily with 380s, but it was due to lack of facilities.
Boston, USA
 
airbazar
Posts: 10197
Joined: Wed Sep 10, 2003 11:12 pm

Re: EKA380: Who gets it first, SEA, ORD, BOS

Fri Jul 15, 2016 1:12 pm

cloud4000 wrote:
Correct if I'm wrong, but BOS doesn't have the gate facilities to handle a 380? I know EK said it would like to do double daily with 380s, but it was due to lack of facilities.

BOS is expanding the terminal and building 3 A380 gates. The full project completion date is set for Summer 2017 however there are rumors that at least one gate will be ready by the end of 2016 and BA has already announced A380 service to BOS starting in February.
http://www.routesonline.com/news/38/air ... bmar-2017/
 
User avatar
chrisnh
Topic Author
Posts: 4135
Joined: Tue Jun 29, 1999 3:59 am

Re: EKA380: Who gets it first, SEA, ORD, BOS

Fri Jul 15, 2016 4:01 pm

cloud4000 wrote:
Correct if I'm wrong, but BOS doesn't have the gate facilities to handle a 380? I know EK said it would like to do double daily with 380s, but it was due to lack of facilities.


None of the diversion A380 landings (including yesterday's AF) have posed a problem because the planes just sit where they are told to park and never pull up to the terminal. I personally think 2x A380s to Dubai is a stretch for Boston. I think the right mix would be to downgrade the morning one to a -200LR and upgrade the evening one to the A380. But I also realize there aren't many -200LR's in the EK fleet (ten, I think) while they've got well over 100 of the -300ERs. So a -300ER (AM) + A380 (PM) seems to be a good mix.

The question is whether EK announces a 'trial' at BOS much like they'll do next week at ORD. If only to somewhat upstage BA by legitimately being 'first' at BOS with the A380 even though everyone knows BA will have it in there February & March. Others have suggested they'll do the trial over the Christmas holiday season and I'll bet they're right.
 
User avatar
7BOEING7
Posts: 3039
Joined: Fri Oct 12, 2012 5:28 pm

Re: EKA380: Who gets it first, SEA, ORD, BOS

Fri Jul 15, 2016 4:37 pm

UAEflyer wrote:
SEA will be A380 ready by the second half on 2017, although EK should have some respect to Boeing and don't send A380 to their territory


What are they doing? I know they're planning on remodeling the South Terminal (international arrivals) and adding a lot more widebody gates but that's still years off.
 
lavalampluva
Posts: 1433
Joined: Tue Jun 24, 2014 7:33 pm

Re: EKA380: Who gets it first, SEA, ORD, BOS

Fri Jul 15, 2016 5:13 pm

My suspicions are the ORD will be next.
Remind me to send a thank you note to Mr. Boeing.
 
User avatar
chrisnh
Topic Author
Posts: 4135
Joined: Tue Jun 29, 1999 3:59 am

Re: EKA380: Who gets it first, SEA, ORD, BOS

Fri Jul 15, 2016 5:47 pm

Seems like BOS and ORD are neck-and-neck in this unofficial poll! I say it's a coin-flip, notwithstanding the fact that ORD has a July 19 'trial' while BOS doesn't.
 
alexinwa
Posts: 878
Joined: Fri Sep 29, 2000 2:08 pm

Re: EKA380: Who gets it first, SEA, ORD, BOS

Sun Aug 14, 2016 10:54 pm

Im sorry.....IMHO SEA has bigger fish the fry than EK. The DL AS battle is forefront!!!
You mad Bro???
 
User avatar
Miami
Posts: 6181
Joined: Sat Sep 15, 2012 8:37 pm

Re: EKA380: Who gets it first, SEA, ORD, BOS

Mon Aug 15, 2016 12:30 am

Technically ORD got it first with that one-off.. ;)
Aviation is proof that given, the will, we have the capacity to achieve the impossible. - Eddie Rickenbacker
 
User avatar
RL777
Posts: 651
Joined: Thu Jul 28, 2016 1:43 am

Re: EKA380: Who gets it first, SEA, ORD, BOS

Mon Aug 15, 2016 12:52 am

ORD then BOS. SEA can't currently handle the A380 and the airport authority has made it clear that it doesn't intend to renovate its infrastructure unless there is significant interest from multiple carriers. I would say the chances of SEA seeing the A380 from any carrier is nearly zero.
 
frmrCapCadet
Posts: 4423
Joined: Thu May 29, 2008 8:24 pm

Re: EKA380: Who gets it first, SEA, ORD, BOS

Mon Aug 15, 2016 1:05 am

I am sure SeaTac will welcome 380 service to Seattle, there may be some costs which would need to be recouped by fees. But we would like to see 380 service to our airport, Boeing fan boys or not.
Buffet: the airline business...has eaten up capital...like..no other (business)
 
airbazar
Posts: 10197
Joined: Wed Sep 10, 2003 11:12 pm

Re: EKA380: Who gets it first, SEA, ORD, BOS

Mon Aug 15, 2016 2:21 am

alexinwa wrote:
Im sorry.....IMHO SEA has bigger fish the fry than EK. The DL AS battle is forefront!!!

Why? What does the Port of Seattle have to do with that battle?
 
DBun
Posts: 24
Joined: Fri Apr 08, 2016 9:30 pm

Re: EKA380: Who gets it first, SEA, ORD, BOS

Mon Aug 15, 2016 6:18 am

I believe one of the reasons EK flies double daily B777 to SEA is to pick up replacement parts for their 777 fleet.

Replacing these flights with the A380 would yield more passenger space, but less cargo space (which is what they really want).
 
User avatar
787fan8
Posts: 517
Joined: Thu May 01, 2014 8:05 pm

Re: EKA380: Who gets it first, SEA, ORD, BOS

Mon Aug 15, 2016 11:13 am

By far ORD will get it first. You know when EK flies a one off A380 they'll come back. BOS would be second. SEA can't even handle the A380 yet, so it's an obvious third.
Atlanta is an incredibly cool city - Andrew Lincoln

Future Auburn graduate
 
airbazar
Posts: 10197
Joined: Wed Sep 10, 2003 11:12 pm

Re: EKA380: Who gets it first, SEA, ORD, BOS

Mon Aug 15, 2016 1:33 pm

DBun wrote:
I believe one of the reasons EK flies double daily B777 to SEA is to pick up replacement parts for their 777 fleet.
Replacing these flights with the A380 would yield more passenger space, but less cargo space (which is what they really want).

I very much doubt that would be a deciding factor. It's not like they fly to TLS and of course, Boeing like many other industrial manufactures source parts from many suppliers, the biggest one of them being Spirit who is not in Seattle and has facilities all over the World. I'm not even sure that a lot of Boeing parts are provisioned from Seattle.

787fan8 wrote:
By far ORD will get it first. You know when EK flies a one off A380 they'll come back. BOS would be second. SEA can't even handle the A380 yet, so it's an obvious third.

BOS first, SEA second, ORD maybe. Lets not forget ORD was only the 8th or so U.S. destination for EK and it's only a single daily so far, which tells me demand is not great. By contrast, SEA was the second U.S. destination to go double-daily, after only JFK. After the debacle that was IAH I don't expect them to deploy an A380 on another marginal ULH route. Meanwhile BOS is already at 2x daily with 77W.
 
User avatar
PerfectGriffin
Posts: 539
Joined: Thu Jun 16, 2016 7:35 am

Re: EKA380: Who gets it first, SEA, ORD, BOS

Mon Aug 15, 2016 8:02 pm

airbazar wrote:
DBun wrote:
I believe one of the reasons EK flies double daily B777 to SEA is to pick up replacement parts for their 777 fleet.
Replacing these flights with the A380 would yield more passenger space, but less cargo space (which is what they really want).

I very much doubt that would be a deciding factor. It's not like they fly to TLS and of course, Boeing like many other industrial manufactures source parts from many suppliers, the biggest one of them being Spirit who is not in Seattle and has facilities all over the World. I'm not even sure that a lot of Boeing parts are provisioned from Seattle.

787fan8 wrote:
By far ORD will get it first. You know when EK flies a one off A380 they'll come back. BOS would be second. SEA can't even handle the A380 yet, so it's an obvious third.

BOS first, SEA second, ORD maybe. Lets not forget ORD was only the 8th or so U.S. destination for EK and it's only a single daily so far, which tells me demand is not great. By contrast, SEA was the second U.S. destination to go double-daily, after only JFK. After the debacle that was IAH I don't expect them to deploy an A380 on another marginal ULH route. Meanwhile BOS is already at 2x daily with 77W.


They started ORD late but perhaps it's because ORD already had so much competition. EK has much less competition at SEA, and BOS has only recently become competitive with services to Asia.
 
User avatar
ER757
Posts: 3858
Joined: Tue May 10, 2005 10:16 am

Re: EKA380: Who gets it first, SEA, ORD, BOS

Mon Aug 15, 2016 8:51 pm

I'm not even sure that a lot of Boeing parts are provisioned from Seattle.
They are but it certainly wouldn't be a deciding factor on whether EK were to deploy the A380 to SEA. If the Port of Seattle ever did make the necessary upgrades, it's a pretty good bet EK would rather bring in a single A380 instead of a 77L and a 77W. They do haul quite a lot of cargo out of here, but they could always start freighter service a couple days a week if it's enough - maybe add SEA to the ORD/DWC run - make it a loop DWC/SEA/ORD/DWC or similar
 
User avatar
chrisnh
Topic Author
Posts: 4135
Joined: Tue Jun 29, 1999 3:59 am

Re: EKA380: Who gets it first, SEA, ORD, BOS

Mon Aug 15, 2016 9:12 pm

On a related note, BA has pushed back the debut of the A380 to Boston until spring '17 at the earliest. The plane was loaded into the schedules for February and March but got yanked...presumably because the gates won't be ready. However, this trio of A380 gates will be ready soon thereafter because you can see construction is already far along.
 
MaxxFlyer
Posts: 456
Joined: Thu Feb 18, 2016 6:29 pm

Re: EKA380: Who gets it first, SEA, ORD, BOS

Mon Aug 15, 2016 9:19 pm

UAEflyer wrote:
SEA will be A380 ready by the second half on 2017, although EK should have some respect to Boeing and don't send A380 to their territory


OK, this is funny. I needed the chuckle. I have been under the impression SEA is 2x with 772/77W is belly cargo driven. I love SEA, but it's bursting at the seams. Until they get more international gates, it's going to remain a zoo during certain hours.
 
User avatar
ER757
Posts: 3858
Joined: Tue May 10, 2005 10:16 am

Re: EKA380: Who gets it first, SEA, ORD, BOS

Mon Aug 15, 2016 9:37 pm

SEA will be A380 ready by the second half on 2017
UAEFlyer - where did you get this info? To the best of my knowledge they'll do no such thing. I would love to be proven wrong, nothing with please me more than to see the Big Bus touch touch at SEA. Do you have a source for this news? If so please share it
 
User avatar
flyer1225
Posts: 85
Joined: Tue Jun 14, 2016 10:44 pm

Re: EKA380: Who gets it first, SEA, ORD, BOS

Mon Aug 15, 2016 10:02 pm

All three airports will recieve the EK A380 in time, but I'm guessing ORD in late 2017, BOS in early to mid 2018, and SEA in late 2019 or whenever it can accommodate it.
6E/9W/AA/AF/AI/AS/B6/BA/DJ/DL/EK/FL/HA/IC/IT/JQ/LH/LX/OS/QF/S2/SG/UA/US/VS/VX/WN
 
747megatop
Posts: 1785
Joined: Wed May 23, 2007 8:22 am

Re: EKA380: Who gets it first, SEA, ORD, BOS

Mon Aug 15, 2016 10:39 pm

chrisnh wrote:
With so many A380s to deploy, which of these three cities will likely see it first? All are at various stages of 'readiness' for the A380.

ORD first; and then...maybe BOS?
 
Kno
Posts: 571
Joined: Mon Aug 15, 2016 10:08 pm

Re: EKA380: Who gets it first, SEA, ORD, BOS

Mon Aug 15, 2016 11:09 pm

jcwr56 wrote:
Galvan wrote:
ORD is set for A380 services. T5 gate M11 can now Handle the A380, RWY 28/10C will be able to handle the aircraft. EK will be sending the A380 into ORD 7/19 as a trial run.


I'll split hairs, I would say ORD is in theory ready to handle the A380. Between Air traffic, taxiways and operations from the aircraft arriving at the gate, to attaching the dual bridges (which was just trail run on a LH 748 today, it was interesting to see a bridge attached to the upper deck door) to roadways closures on push back, hold room issues to ticket counter queuing. Lets not get too excited EK or anyone else will be rushing to start service.

After Tuesdays EK flight, they'll be plenty of meetings to discuss what went wrong to, oh s**t, how was this missed items.

ORD will get its' 380 but not before next summer.


Any photos of that 747 with the jetway connected to the top? WOuld be cool to see the novelty of a 747 top boarding.
 
Viscount724
Posts: 19316
Joined: Thu Oct 12, 2006 7:32 pm

Re: EKA380: Who gets it first, SEA, ORD, BOS

Tue Aug 16, 2016 2:14 am

chrisnh wrote:
On a related note, BA has pushed back the debut of the A380 to Boston until spring '17 at the earliest. The plane was loaded into the schedules for February and March but got yanked...presumably because the gates won't be ready. However, this trio of A380 gates will be ready soon thereafter because you can see construction is already far along.


As a sidenote, BA had two A380 medical emergency diversions to BOS a day apart last month, one from LAX to LHR on July 20 and another from SFO to LHR on July 21. Following from Transport Canada occurrence reports. Aircraft were over Quebec at the time. The LAX-LHR flight originally requested to divert to YUL but then changed the destination to BOS.

A British Airways Airbus A380-800 (BAW268) from Los Angeles, CA (KLAX) to London, England (EGLL) declared PAN PAN due to a medical emergency and requested a diversion to Montreal, QC (CYUL). The aircraft dumped fuel at FL380 from 1012Z until 1016Z. The pilot requested ambulance to be ready upon arrival. At 1028Z, the pilot requested a diversion to Boston, MA (KBOS). Boston ARTCC was advised. No impact to operations.

A British Airways Airbus A380-800 (BAW6B), from San Francisco, CA (KSFO) to London, England (EGLL), requested to divert to Boston (KBOS), MA because of a medical emergency (sick passenger).


Both flights arrived LHR around 4 hours late.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos