Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

 
a320fan
Posts: 863
Joined: Fri May 01, 2009 5:04 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread Part 143

Thu Jul 28, 2016 4:06 am

With the 717 increasingly operating on previously main line capital city domestic routes, I'm surprised to hear QF haven't already demanded that the flights be crewed to QF standard. They wear QF uniforms, so it would make sense to go all the way and provide service as if you were on a QF aircraft.
A319, A320, A321, A330-200, A350-900, A380, 737-700, 737-800, 777-200ER, 777-300, 777-300ER, 787-8, Q300, Q400
 
zkncj
Posts: 3975
Joined: Wed Nov 09, 2005 4:57 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread Part 143

Thu Jul 28, 2016 4:42 am

a320fan wrote:
With the 717 increasingly operating on previously main line capital city domestic routes, I'm surprised to hear QF haven't already demanded that the flights be crewed to QF standard. They wear QF uniforms, so it would make sense to go all the way and provide service as if you were on a QF aircraft.


Maybe its because the QF Link standard has an much cheaper oppex cost so they are happy with it?
 
User avatar
qf789
Moderator
Topic Author
Posts: 11408
Joined: Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:42 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread Part 143

Fri Jul 29, 2016 1:15 am

ATSB is investigating an incident that happened last Thursday at OOL
Jetstar pilots were forced to take evasive action over Coolangatta Airport last Thursday, when an AirAsia plane veered dangerously close during takeoff.

The two aircraft came within 152m of each other, violating the minimum 305m gap required by Air Services Australia.

A Jetstar spokesman told news.com.au the plane received clearance from air traffic control to descend when the alarms sounded.

“Our pilots took corrective action to restore the safe distance between the two aircraft,” he said.



http://www.news.com.au/travel/travel-up ... 3d9c1f1a9c
Forum Moderator
 
mpj
Posts: 18
Joined: Sun Sep 29, 2013 11:18 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread Part 143

Fri Jul 29, 2016 2:44 am

bunumuring wrote:
Hey guys,
Is there another international airline looking at flights into Canberra?
Heard some interesting chatter but no idea who it could be...
I could speculate (without basis) that ANZ may look at AKL flights, or even an EK flight in the medium term, or perhaps FJ returning with better timed, better marketed flights ...
All eyes are looking at the launch of the Singapore Airlines adventure: not long now. Haven't booked yet, but I cant wait to try a Canberra-Wellington leg!
Cheers,
Bunumuring

PS: just occurred to me ... could it be a Chinese airline looking at Canberra? If CZ is going to launch Adelaide, maybe, just maybe, Canberra is next?



Speaking of FJ, heard from a friend at FJ that they are looking at a NAN-NTL twice weekly flight that could start before the end of the year. Apparently they were looking at CBR as well.
If this is the case, FJ will beat out Jetstar for the 1st International flights out of NTL.
Last edited by mpj on Thu Aug 04, 2016 10:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
 
zkncj
Posts: 3975
Joined: Wed Nov 09, 2005 4:57 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread Part 143

Fri Jul 29, 2016 2:48 am

mpj wrote:
bunumuring wrote:
Speaking of FJ, heard from a friend at FJ that they are looking at a NAN-NTL twice weekly flight that will probably start before the end of the year. Apparently they were looking at CBR as well.
If this is the case, FJ will beat out Jetstar for the 1st International flights out of NTL.


Well technically the NZ Group has already done NTL-AKL before when Freedom Air (SJ) was around.

There is an chance that NZ could return to NTL, with SYD already at 6-7x Daily.
 
User avatar
vhqpa
Posts: 1723
Joined: Mon Jul 04, 2005 8:21 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread Part 143

Fri Jul 29, 2016 2:55 am

Also Norfolk Jet were operating NLK-NTL with Ozjet 737-200s a while back when NLK was international.
"There you go ladies and gentleman we're through Mach 1 the speed of sound no bumps no bangs... CONCORDE"
 
mpj
Posts: 18
Joined: Sun Sep 29, 2013 11:18 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread Part 143

Fri Jul 29, 2016 2:57 am

zkncj wrote:

Well technically the NZ Group has already done NTL-AKL before when Freedom Air (SJ) was around.

There is an chance that NZ could return to NTL, with SYD already at 6-7x Daily.


I actually thought of that after i posted, even though it didn't last long. But this could be NTL's first international flight since they completed their terminal extensions to include a dedicated international section. From memory, they never use to have that?

Speaking of NTL, what international routes can be sustainable, given how close Sydney is?
 
Qantas16
Posts: 781
Joined: Tue Jul 19, 2016 3:51 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread Part 143

Fri Jul 29, 2016 4:28 am

mpj wrote:
zkncj wrote:

Well technically the NZ Group has already done NTL-AKL before when Freedom Air (SJ) was around.

There is an chance that NZ could return to NTL, with SYD already at 6-7x Daily.


I actually thought of that after i posted, even though it didn't last long. But this could be NTL's first international flight since they completed their terminal extensions to include a dedicated international section. From memory, they never use to have that?

Speaking of NTL, what international routes can be sustainable, given how close Sydney is?


NTL-SYD is further away than OOL-BNE and OOL manages to sustain not insignificant international services (I know there are quite big differences between NTL and OOL). I am sure there is a market for NTL-AKL flights, especially with JQ.
 
zkncj
Posts: 3975
Joined: Wed Nov 09, 2005 4:57 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread Part 143

Fri Jul 29, 2016 4:48 am

mpj wrote:
Speaking of NTL, what international routes can be sustainable, given how close Sydney is?


Taking into account Sydney traffic peak hour traffic, NLK could appeal to anyone from the NorWestern Regions in Sydney.

A well timed NLK-AKL service on NZ could provide connections too: YVR,SFO,LAX,IAH,EZE,HNL,NAN,RAR,APW,TBU,PPT without the need to deal with SYD. You'd probably doing ok with local traffic from AKL into NTL from people heading up the coast.

AKL-MCY is doing pretty well, every year the season is getting extended and more weekly flights added. I'd say by next year it would be year round and maybe daily.
 
User avatar
allrite
Posts: 2615
Joined: Wed Aug 08, 2007 11:28 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread Part 143

Fri Jul 29, 2016 5:29 am

zkncj wrote:
mpj wrote:
Speaking of NTL, what international routes can be sustainable, given how close Sydney is?


AKL-MCY is doing pretty well, every year the season is getting extended and more weekly flights added. I'd say by next year it would be year round and maybe daily.


One difference between NTL and Queensland coastal airports is that the latter can support inbound tourism. The local demographics are also somewhat different. That said, I do have jetsetting colleagues who live on the Central Coast and in Newcastle. Low cost flights to leisure destinations would probably work best in my opinion.
I like artificial banana essence!
 
User avatar
qf789
Moderator
Topic Author
Posts: 11408
Joined: Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:42 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread Part 143

Fri Jul 29, 2016 10:03 am

In SIA's first quarter results they booked a S$41 million loss from its shareholding in VA

http://australianaviation.com.au/2016/0 ... g-outlook/
Forum Moderator
 
User avatar
qf789
Moderator
Topic Author
Posts: 11408
Joined: Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:42 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread Part 143

Fri Jul 29, 2016 5:26 pm

BITRE for May is out and QR's numbers for ADL aren't pretty to say the least. For May first flight arrived on the 2nd of May so numbers are worked out over 30 days, their A359's seats 283

Arriving 1728
Departing 4825

Available Seats 8490 in each direction

Load Factors
Arriving 20.35%
Departing 56.83%

Average number of seats used on flights
Arriving 57.6 per day
Departing 160 per day

EK saw a decrease in traffic
In 2015 arrivals for May were 7303 compared to 5750 this year, a drop of 1553 passengers (average of 50 per day)
In 2015 departures for May were 10454 compared to 7964 this year, a drop of 2490 passengers (average of 80 per day)

While May is not the best month to start a new route with it does backup those rumours we have been hearing and have discussed about ADL being operated as a tag onto MEL

It will be interesting to see how the figures come in over the next few months
Forum Moderator
 
Jetstar315
Posts: 157
Joined: Fri Sep 28, 2007 5:54 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread Part 143

Sat Jul 30, 2016 3:15 am

I can't help but notice how many posts have dropped off on the Australian, and New Zealand Aviation Threads lately!
I take a look every day at both, and here I am on a Saturday afternoon and the previous post was made 19 hours ago on the Australian thread!
A couple of months ago, new posts were being made on this thread at a great range of knots, but not any more.
Is it that the "nobody likes change" syndrome has crept in since ANet changed their whole website or is it that there just isn't any news any more??
 
qf2048
Posts: 126
Joined: Sat Apr 09, 2016 3:16 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread Part 143

Sat Jul 30, 2016 4:30 am

Jetstar315 wrote:
I can't help but notice how many posts have dropped off on the Australian, and New Zealand Aviation Threads lately!
I take a look every day at both, and here I am on a Saturday afternoon and the previous post was made 19 hours ago on the Australian thread!
A couple of months ago, new posts were being made on this thread at a great range of knots, but not any more.
Is it that the "nobody likes change" syndrome has crept in since ANet changed their whole website or is it that there just isn't any news any more??

I'm only new on here but have noticed the same thing.

Don't think it's been mentioned yet but Flypelican has started it's NTL-DBO route twice daily on Monday Wednesday and Friday's to begin. They have a poll running on their Facebook page asking about their next route.

Fly corporate are looking at BNE to Moree and Narrabri.
ZL,QF,KE,BA,AS,CX,FR,U2,W6,EI,IB,JL,AY,LH,AA,AC,FQ,DJ,JQ,LA,FJ,QS,NZ,NF,SB,PG,EK,AB,VA,MH,KA,VN
 
777ER
Head Moderator
Posts: 10124
Joined: Fri Dec 19, 2003 5:04 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread Part 143

Sat Jul 30, 2016 5:52 am

Jetstar315 wrote:
I can't help but notice how many posts have dropped off on the Australian, and New Zealand Aviation Threads lately!
I take a look every day at both, and here I am on a Saturday afternoon and the previous post was made 19 hours ago on the Australian thread!
A couple of months ago, new posts were being made on this thread at a great range of knots, but not any more.
Is it that the "nobody likes change" syndrome has crept in since ANet changed their whole website or is it that there just isn't any news any more??

Yes the site has experienced a drop off but that can be expected with change. Any site will experience a drop off with change till people get use to it again.

In terms of the 'last post', part of that isn't really correct. Last week I posted in the NZ Aviation Thread and when I read the thread again 3 hours later, it was showing that my post was posted 13 hours prior. I haven't a clue why this happens
Head Forum Moderator
[email protected]
Flown: 1900D,S340,Q300,AT72-5/6,DC3,CR2/7,E145,E70/75/90,A319/20/21,A332/3,A359,A380,F100,B717,B733/4/8/9,B742/4,B752/3,B763,B772/3, B789
With: NZ,SJ,QF,JQ,EK,VA,AA,UA,DL,FL,AC,FJ,SQ,TG,PR
 
qf2048
Posts: 126
Joined: Sat Apr 09, 2016 3:16 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread Part 143

Sat Jul 30, 2016 6:35 am

qf789 wrote:
BITRE for May is out and QR's numbers for ADL aren't pretty to say the least. For May first flight arrived on the 2nd of May so numbers are worked out over 30 days, their A359's seats 283

Arriving 1728
Departing 4825

Available Seats 8490 in each direction

Load Factors
Arriving 20.35%
Departing 56.83%

Average number of seats used on flights
Arriving 57.6 per day
Departing 160 per day

EK saw a decrease in traffic
In 2015 arrivals for May were 7303 compared to 5750 this year, a drop of 1553 passengers (average of 50 per day)
In 2015 departures for May were 10454 compared to 7964 this year, a drop of 2490 passengers (average of 80 per day)

While May is not the best month to start a new route with it does backup those rumours we have been hearing and have discussed about ADL being operated as a tag onto MEL

It will be interesting to see how the figures come in over the next few months

Would QR be better off serving ADL via SIN? Would be the only Oneworld flight on the route which might appeal to QF FF's, although the earn rate would be less i'm sure.

I know of a few people who like the QF-EK option of SYD-SIN-Europe with a overnight stopover in SIN. All legs about 7 hours
ZL,QF,KE,BA,AS,CX,FR,U2,W6,EI,IB,JL,AY,LH,AA,AC,FQ,DJ,JQ,LA,FJ,QS,NZ,NF,SB,PG,EK,AB,VA,MH,KA,VN
 
zkncj
Posts: 3975
Joined: Wed Nov 09, 2005 4:57 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread Part 143

Sat Jul 30, 2016 6:41 am

qf2048 wrote:
[
Would QR be better off serving ADL via SIN? Would be the only Oneworld flight on the route which might appeal to QF FF's, although the earn rate would be less i'm sure.

I know of a few people who like the QF-EK option of SYD-SIN-Europe with a overnight stopover in SIN. All legs about 7 hours


Or even the option of extending the route onto AKL? QR keeps pushing back the direct DOH-AKL service due to aircraft shortage. Maybe to start an service via ADL until they can go direct, plus it would allow ADL some time to build.
 
qf2048
Posts: 126
Joined: Sat Apr 09, 2016 3:16 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread Part 143

Sat Jul 30, 2016 7:35 am

zkncj wrote:
qf2048 wrote:
[
Would QR be better off serving ADL via SIN? Would be the only Oneworld flight on the route which might appeal to QF FF's, although the earn rate would be less i'm sure.

I know of a few people who like the QF-EK option of SYD-SIN-Europe with a overnight stopover in SIN. All legs about 7 hours


Or even the option of extending the route onto AKL? QR keeps pushing back the direct DOH-AKL service due to aircraft shortage. Maybe to start an service via ADL until they can go direct, plus it would allow ADL some time to build.


I think that is a good option too.

I also though QR to CBR via SIN would have been nice too but SQ have got in first.
ZL,QF,KE,BA,AS,CX,FR,U2,W6,EI,IB,JL,AY,LH,AA,AC,FQ,DJ,JQ,LA,FJ,QS,NZ,NF,SB,PG,EK,AB,VA,MH,KA,VN
 
Qantas16
Posts: 781
Joined: Tue Jul 19, 2016 3:51 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread Part 143

Sat Jul 30, 2016 9:35 am

zkncj wrote:
qf2048 wrote:
[
Would QR be better off serving ADL via SIN? Would be the only Oneworld flight on the route which might appeal to QF FF's, although the earn rate would be less i'm sure.

I know of a few people who like the QF-EK option of SYD-SIN-Europe with a overnight stopover in SIN. All legs about 7 hours


Or even the option of extending the route onto AKL? QR keeps pushing back the direct DOH-AKL service due to aircraft shortage. Maybe to start an service via ADL until they can go direct, plus it would allow ADL some time to build.


I think the problem with this would be the departure/arrival banks in Doha to Europe, without having a long layover in AKL which isn't ideal for a brand new aircraft. I can't figure out a schedule that works well for a DOH-ADL-AKL-ADL-DOH service that meets European flights
 
Nouflyer
Posts: 315
Joined: Sun Aug 24, 2014 9:38 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread Part 143

Sat Jul 30, 2016 11:32 am

qf789 wrote:
BITRE for May is out and QR's numbers for ADL aren't pretty to say the least. For May first flight arrived on the 2nd of May so numbers are worked out over 30 days, their A359's seats 283

Arriving 1728
Departing 4825

Available Seats 8490 in each direction

Load Factors
Arriving 20.35%
Departing 56.83%

Average number of seats used on flights
Arriving 57.6 per day
Departing 160 per day

EK saw a decrease in traffic
In 2015 arrivals for May were 7303 compared to 5750 this year, a drop of 1553 passengers (average of 50 per day)
In 2015 departures for May were 10454 compared to 7964 this year, a drop of 2490 passengers (average of 80 per day)

While May is not the best month to start a new route with it does backup those rumours we have been hearing and have discussed about ADL being operated as a tag onto MEL

It will be interesting to see how the figures come in over the next few months

So in other words there is no actual demand, they are just cannibalising Emirates' market?
 
qf002
Posts: 3684
Joined: Tue Jul 05, 2011 11:14 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread Part 143

Sat Jul 30, 2016 1:27 pm

Qantas16 wrote:
I can't figure out a schedule that works well for a DOH-ADL-AKL-ADL-DOH service that meets European flights


The best I can put together is:

dep DOH 0230 arr ADL 2210
dep ADL 2340 arr 0630+1

dep AKL 1200 arr ADL 1430
dep ADL 1600 arr DOH 2300

Connects from the main midnight bank eastbound and feeds into one of QR's secondary banks westbound. 5.5 hours at AKL isn't ideal but IMO it beats flying empty flights into ADL and opening a very costly nonstop to AKL.
 
kriskim
Posts: 425
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2016 12:44 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread Part 143

Sat Jul 30, 2016 1:48 pm

QR is currently the weakest player at both SYD and MEL behind EY and EK/QF. By linking ADL flights onto MEL, it could improve its competitiveness in that market and offer x2 daily services. EK and QF have 4 daily flights to DXB whilst EY has double daily services, all these 3 airlines fly their flagship A380's to MEL too, QR is only a mere daily 77W service. It has already established itself in the market but hasn't grown much, it is currently restricted by the bi-lateral so can't expand in the Big 4 cities. This is the only way to increase presence in MEL and I can see a DOH-ADL-MEL-DOH or DOH-MEL-ADL-DOH triangular routing working quite well for the airline.
A world built upon connectivity.
 
qf2048
Posts: 126
Joined: Sat Apr 09, 2016 3:16 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread Part 143

Sun Jul 31, 2016 1:06 am

kriskim wrote:
QR is currently the weakest player at both SYD and MEL behind EY and EK/QF. By linking ADL flights onto MEL, it could improve its competitiveness in that market and offer x2 daily services. EK and QF have 4 daily flights to DXB whilst EY has double daily services, all these 3 airlines fly their flagship A380's to MEL too, QR is only a mere daily 77W service. It has already established itself in the market but hasn't grown much, it is currently restricted by the bi-lateral so can't expand in the Big 4 cities. This is the only way to increase presence in MEL and I can see a DOH-ADL-MEL-DOH or DOH-MEL-ADL-DOH triangular routing working quite well for the airline.

Think QR have used up all their slots. They can only go to "secondary" ports now like ADL, OOL etc..
ZL,QF,KE,BA,AS,CX,FR,U2,W6,EI,IB,JL,AY,LH,AA,AC,FQ,DJ,JQ,LA,FJ,QS,NZ,NF,SB,PG,EK,AB,VA,MH,KA,VN
 
IndianicWorld
Posts: 3404
Joined: Mon Jun 04, 2001 11:32 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread Part 143

Sun Jul 31, 2016 1:17 am

qf2048 wrote:
kriskim wrote:
QR is currently the weakest player at both SYD and MEL behind EY and EK/QF. By linking ADL flights onto MEL, it could improve its competitiveness in that market and offer x2 daily services. EK and QF have 4 daily flights to DXB whilst EY has double daily services, all these 3 airlines fly their flagship A380's to MEL too, QR is only a mere daily 77W service. It has already established itself in the market but hasn't grown much, it is currently restricted by the bi-lateral so can't expand in the Big 4 cities. This is the only way to increase presence in MEL and I can see a DOH-ADL-MEL-DOH or DOH-MEL-ADL-DOH triangular routing working quite well for the airline.

Think QR have used up all their slots. They can only go to "secondary" ports now like ADL, OOL etc..


Not quite 100% right.

The Qatar-Australia bi-lateral does allow additional services to MEL/SYD/BNE/PER via a secondary Australian airport.

QR is rumoured to be looking at the ADL-MEL option but we will see. They are not exactly an easy airline to analyse :)
 
smi0006
Posts: 2592
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2008 7:45 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread Part 143

Sun Jul 31, 2016 2:12 am

I could see QR upgrade MEL to a 380 if they had the capacity- if an ADL tag was added. I suspect they haven't done this already due to the need for cargo capacity on the 77W. High yield pax could go on a 380 service, low yield pax and freight via ADL...

Although can ADL, handle a transit flight? Ex-MEL would be no problem, but ex-DOH the airport has no transit screening abilities. There is no link between arrivals and departures, and current regulation requires transit pax be security screened at the first port of entry. Customer would have to land clear baggage and come back through... Doubt BFA would let that happen.
 
User avatar
eta unknown
Posts: 2900
Joined: Wed Jun 13, 2001 5:03 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread Part 143

Sun Jul 31, 2016 7:21 am

It appears the 717 has already been deployed on some BNE-TSV flights, no surprise given the economic meltdown in TSV at the moment. The QF on-line timetable still hasn't made any changes to ADL.
 
kriskim
Posts: 425
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2016 12:44 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread Part 143

Sun Jul 31, 2016 8:23 am

smi0006 wrote:
Although can ADL, handle a transit flight? Ex-MEL would be no problem, but ex-DOH the airport has no transit screening abilities. There is no link between arrivals and departures, and current regulation requires transit pax be security screened at the first port of entry. Customer would have to land clear baggage and come back through... Doubt BFA would let that happen.


CX use to run HKG-ADL-MEL-HKG services, pax going through to MEL simply follow the international transit sign when arriving which leads to a security check point before proceeding up to the departures level. No need to re-check bags or enter customs.
A world built upon connectivity.
 
User avatar
qf2220
Posts: 1994
Joined: Fri Aug 16, 2013 9:16 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread Part 143

Sun Jul 31, 2016 9:42 am

Jetstar315 wrote:
I can't help but notice how many posts have dropped off on the Australian, and New Zealand Aviation Threads lately!
I take a look every day at both, and here I am on a Saturday afternoon and the previous post was made 19 hours ago on the Australian thread!
A couple of months ago, new posts were being made on this thread at a great range of knots, but not any more.
Is it that the "nobody likes change" syndrome has crept in since ANet changed their whole website or is it that there just isn't any news any more??


Ive noted a slowdown in news in the last 12-24 months (basically since QF got itself sorted), but recently, the new forum layout I think has really reduced the quantity of posts. Im hoping the powers that be are working on it. They've gone back to blue to make the experience a bit easier, but they've got more to go IMO.
 
Qantas16
Posts: 781
Joined: Tue Jul 19, 2016 3:51 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread Part 143

Sun Jul 31, 2016 10:43 am

On the BNE Airport website (and app) arrival and departure board, there is the following flight tomorrow:

ImageImage

Obviously, this is an error and the flight won't be arriving tomorrow, but shows that this flight should be happening soon!
 
User avatar
mariner
Posts: 19473
Joined: Fri Nov 23, 2001 7:29 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread Part 143

Sun Jul 31, 2016 11:42 am

qf2220 wrote:
Ive noted a slowdown in news in the last 12-24 months (basically since QF got itself sorted), but recently, the new forum layout I think has really reduced the quantity of posts. Im hoping the powers that be are working on it. They've gone back to blue to make the experience a bit easier, but they've got more to go IMO.


The site works just fine for me and in some ways I think it's easier than the old site - embedding photos in posts, e.g. I'll be glad when they've sorted out the staying logged-in issue, but otherwise I'm a happy camper.

As always, it will be what we - the users - make it.

mariner
aeternum nauta
 
IndianicWorld
Posts: 3404
Joined: Mon Jun 04, 2001 11:32 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread Part 143

Sun Jul 31, 2016 11:59 am

mariner wrote:
qf2220 wrote:
Ive noted a slowdown in news in the last 12-24 months (basically since QF got itself sorted), but recently, the new forum layout I think has really reduced the quantity of posts. Im hoping the powers that be are working on it. They've gone back to blue to make the experience a bit easier, but they've got more to go IMO.


The site works just fine for me and in some ways I think it's easier than the old site - embedding photos in posts, e.g. I'll be glad when they've sorted out the staying logged-in issue, but otherwise I'm a happy camper.

As always, it will be what we - the users - make it.

mariner


It is certainly improving.

It just takes time to get used to, especially after the years that things remained the same.
 
DeltaB717
Posts: 1727
Joined: Thu Jun 07, 2012 3:49 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread Part 143

Mon Aug 01, 2016 12:50 am

qf002 wrote:
Qantas16 wrote:
I can't figure out a schedule that works well for a DOH-ADL-AKL-ADL-DOH service that meets European flights


The best I can put together is:

dep DOH 0230 arr ADL 2210
dep ADL 2340 arr 0630+1

dep AKL 1200 arr ADL 1430
dep ADL 1600 arr DOH 2300

Connects from the main midnight bank eastbound and feeds into one of QR's secondary banks westbound. 5.5 hours at AKL isn't ideal but IMO it beats flying empty flights into ADL and opening a very costly nonstop to AKL.


If that's the only option, then it's not happening. ADL has a curfew starting at 2300.
 
DeltaB717
Posts: 1727
Joined: Thu Jun 07, 2012 3:49 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread Part 143

Mon Aug 01, 2016 12:58 am

eta unknown wrote:
It appears the 717 has already been deployed on some BNE-TSV flights, no surprise given the economic meltdown in TSV at the moment. The QF on-line timetable still hasn't made any changes to ADL.


Yup, the B717s kicked in on the TSV route on 17 June.

qf2048 wrote:
Fly corporate are looking at BNE to Moree and Narrabri.


They've already announced this route will commence on 29 August. https://flycorporate.com.au/articles/fl ... -brisbane/
 
User avatar
qf789
Moderator
Topic Author
Posts: 11408
Joined: Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:42 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread Part 143

Mon Aug 01, 2016 5:54 am

As of today EK424/425 to PER is upgraded to A388 from 77W
Forum Moderator
 
Qantas16
Posts: 781
Joined: Tue Jul 19, 2016 3:51 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread Part 143

Mon Aug 01, 2016 6:02 am

Image

VA171 has returned to Brisbane - reason unknown. Also happened on the 23rd of July.
 
fuffla
Posts: 383
Joined: Thu Feb 05, 2004 8:41 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread Part 143

Mon Aug 01, 2016 6:27 am

FlyCorporate inaugural service from Armidale to Brisbane departed this morning with 14 of 19 seats being filled, although some where local councillors and staff.
 
User avatar
XAM2175
Posts: 1156
Joined: Thu Oct 30, 2014 2:25 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread Part 143

Mon Aug 01, 2016 8:41 am

I'm rather excited about resumption of the ARM-BNE service actually, as I've family in both places and I'd used the FQ service on a few occasions to avoid back-tracking via SYD.

Operated by either an SF340 or SA227 - both fun little types too, although the JS41 FQ used trumped them ever so slightly for rarity ;)
 
a320fan
Posts: 863
Joined: Fri May 01, 2009 5:04 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread Part 143

Mon Aug 01, 2016 10:34 am

It seems todays TT1 MEL-DPS diverted to Darwin. Planned tech stop due to headwinds I presume as it seems to have flown straight there on a more north/eastern route than direct to DPS. However it has been there since this afternoon and not yet left, with two scheduled flights showing on Flightaware. One to Bali and one back to MEL. VOR was also scheduled to fly to PER as TT18, which has been cancelled.
Image
A319, A320, A321, A330-200, A350-900, A380, 737-700, 737-800, 777-200ER, 777-300, 777-300ER, 787-8, Q300, Q400
 
Qantas16
Posts: 781
Joined: Tue Jul 19, 2016 3:51 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread Part 143

Mon Aug 01, 2016 10:35 am

Lots of Oz-HKG cancellations due to Typhoon Nida, which appears to be affecting flights arriving/departing between 10pm tonight and 2pm tomorrow in HKG.

BNE
1/8 CX156 BNE-HKG Cancelled

PER
1/8 CX170 PER-HKG delayed 8 hours

MEL
1/8 CX104 MEL-HKG Cancelled
1/8 CX178 MEL-HKG Cancelled
2/8 CX105 HKG-MEL Cancelled
2/8 CX163 HKG-MEL Cancelled

SYD
1/8 CX100 SYD-HKG Cancelled
1/8 CX138 SYD-HKG Cancelled
1/8 QF117 SYD-HKG Cancelled
1/8 QF118 HKG-SYD Cancelled
1/8 CX101 HKG-SYD Cancelled
2/8 CX139 HKG-SYD Cancelled
 
Qantas16
Posts: 781
Joined: Tue Jul 19, 2016 3:51 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread Part 143

Mon Aug 01, 2016 10:48 am

a320fan wrote:
It seems todays TT1 MEL-DPS diverted to Darwin. Planned tech stop due to headwinds I presume as it seems to have flown straight there on a more north/eastern route than direct to DPS. However it has been there since this afternoon and not yet left, with two scheduled flights showing on Flightaware. One to Bali and one back to MEL. VOR was also scheduled to fly to PER as TT18, which has been cancelled.
Image


I believe there is volcanic ash affecting DPS (again...)

VA41 BNE-DPS diverted to DRW and hasn't left since (return flight cancelled)
VA65 SYD-DPS made it close to the NT/WA border before returning to SYD (which is a really long flight...) and return flight cancelled

JQ37 SYD-DPS is currently on it's way but looks like it's taking quite a southerly route

Can't find any other flights affected from Oz at the moment.
 
SYDSpotter
Posts: 904
Joined: Tue Oct 30, 2012 9:10 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread Part 143

Mon Aug 01, 2016 11:37 am

Jetstar315 wrote:
I can't help but notice how many posts have dropped off on the Australian, and New Zealand Aviation Threads lately!

I think your comment applies equally to the civil aviation forum as a whole. I think that traffic/activity has fallen off a cliff...

Qantas16 wrote:
Lots of Oz-HKG cancellations due to Typhoon Nida, which appears to be affecting flights arriving/departing between 10pm tonight and 2pm tomorrow in HKG.


Ouch, that will be a tricky little backlog to clear once the typhoon passes. Having said that, all of CX's op's are suspended in HKG because of the typhoon, so I don't envy CX staff over the next week or so having to get their schedule back to normal.
319_320_321_332_333_359_388 / 734_737_738_743_744_762_763_772_773_77W_788_789
 
luftaom
Posts: 782
Joined: Thu May 20, 1999 4:29 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread Part 143

Mon Aug 01, 2016 11:40 am

zkncj wrote:
mpj wrote:
Speaking of NTL, what international routes can be sustainable, given how close Sydney is?


Taking into account Sydney traffic peak hour traffic, NLK could appeal to anyone from the NorWestern Regions in Sydney.



You kind of have to be North of Hornsby and East of Berowra for NTL to make sense. Certainly for anyone living somewhere from Castle Hill to Richmond, Mascot is going to be a much easier and quicker proposition than Newcastle. Both the Pacific Highway (the part through Pymble etc with traffic lights) and Pennant Hills Road are slow going before you hit the Freeway and from the start of the Freeway it's quite a slog up to NTL. With the M2 widening the M7-M2-Lane Cove tunnel-HarbourTunnel-Eastern Distributor run has gotten a bit better outside absolute peak hours. Of course if there are super cheap fares then the lower cost of parking at NTL may be a factor - but this is fiddling around the edges at the bottom end of the market in terms of yield.

As others have said - the BNE/OOL (almost) conurbation is quite different from SYD/NTL.
 
User avatar
qf789
Moderator
Topic Author
Posts: 11408
Joined: Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:42 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread Part 143

Tue Aug 02, 2016 12:59 am

As of today AZ expands codeshares on VA domestic routes. These include

Sydney – Adelaide
Sydney – Ballina
Sydney – Coffs Harbour
Sydney – Gold Coast
Sydney – Hobart
Sydney – Maroochydore/Sunshine Coast
Sydney – Melbourne
Sydney – Perth

http://www.routesonline.com/news/38/air ... -aug-2016/
Forum Moderator
 
JQflightie
Posts: 548
Joined: Wed Mar 04, 2009 6:18 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread Part 143

Tue Aug 02, 2016 2:39 am

luftaom wrote:
zkncj wrote:
mpj wrote:
Speaking of NTL, what international routes can be sustainable, given how close Sydney is?


Taking into account Sydney traffic peak hour traffic, NLK could appeal to anyone from the NorWestern Regions in Sydney.



You kind of have to be North of Hornsby and East of Berowra for NTL to make sense. Certainly for anyone living somewhere from Castle Hill to Richmond, Mascot is going to be a much easier and quicker proposition than Newcastle. Both the Pacific Highway (the part through Pymble etc with traffic lights) and Pennant Hills Road are slow going before you hit the Freeway and from the start of the Freeway it's quite a slog up to NTL. With the M2 widening the M7-M2-Lane Cove tunnel-HarbourTunnel-Eastern Distributor run has gotten a bit better outside absolute peak hours. Of course if there are super cheap fares then the lower cost of parking at NTL may be a factor - but this is fiddling around the edges at the bottom end of the market in terms of yield.

As others have said - the BNE/OOL (almost) conurbation is quite different from SYD/NTL.


I think people would be surprised, although NTL airport is longer in Km from Hornsby/Central Coast it's quicker in time, when I was based there we had FAs who lived in both those places and chose to be based in NTL as it was quicker to get to.
Now internationals out of NTL, I think they could support the following a few times a week, and with the correct aircraft rotations in;
NTL-AKL/CHC
NTL-NAN
NTL-DPS
NTL-SIN/KUL

The catchment area of Newcastle quite big, it's as far north as Port Macquarie, as far inland as Tamworth and as far south as Hornsby, and that's from talking to pax and airport staff when I was there.
When is my next holiday?
 
User avatar
qf789
Moderator
Topic Author
Posts: 11408
Joined: Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:42 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread Part 143

Tue Aug 02, 2016 4:44 am

QF to open new lounge for business class travelers, gold & platinum FFQ and QF club members in KTA in early 2017

http://www.ausbt.com.au/qantas-to-open- ... t-karratha

VA completes $1.1 billion capital raising, with shareholders set to increase holding

http://australianaviation.com.au/2016/0 ... e-holding/
Last edited by qf789 on Tue Aug 02, 2016 4:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: wrong link
Forum Moderator
 
qf002
Posts: 3684
Joined: Tue Jul 05, 2011 11:14 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread Part 143

Tue Aug 02, 2016 6:27 am

JQflightie wrote:
I think people would be surprised, although NTL airport is longer in Km from Hornsby/Central Coast it's quicker in time


It's really not though. Without traffic you can get to SYD in ~50 minutes from Hornsby, add another 20-30 minutes during peak periods (potentially less once the new Northconnex tunnel opens).

NTL is 1hr 40m on the motorway, minimum. My family has a holiday house at Port Stephens so it's a trip I've done many times. The traffic on the M1 out of Wahroonga and then again coming off the M1 at Hexham can be as much of a nightmare as getting through the the harbour tunnel during busy periods plus NTL doesn't offer options such as the train or getting a taxi/uber. I'm not aware of any shuttle services that come down to Sydney.

That's not to say that NTL couldn't be an alternative for some Sydneysiders, only that I highly doubt that people in any part of Sydney currently use it over SYD. Even people I know who live on the Central Coast prefer SYD because it's so easy for them to get to on the train.
 
qf2048
Posts: 126
Joined: Sat Apr 09, 2016 3:16 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread Part 143

Tue Aug 02, 2016 7:48 am

IndianicWorld wrote:
qf2048 wrote:
kriskim wrote:
QR is currently the weakest player at both SYD and MEL behind EY and EK/QF. By linking ADL flights onto MEL, it could improve its competitiveness in that market and offer x2 daily services. EK and QF have 4 daily flights to DXB whilst EY has double daily services, all these 3 airlines fly their flagship A380's to MEL too, QR is only a mere daily 77W service. It has already established itself in the market but hasn't grown much, it is currently restricted by the bi-lateral so can't expand in the Big 4 cities. This is the only way to increase presence in MEL and I can see a DOH-ADL-MEL-DOH or DOH-MEL-ADL-DOH triangular routing working quite well for the airline.

Think QR have used up all their slots. They can only go to "secondary" ports now like ADL, OOL etc..


Not quite 100% right.

The Qatar-Australia bi-lateral does allow additional services to MEL/SYD/BNE/PER via a secondary Australian airport.

QR is rumoured to be looking at the ADL-MEL option but we will see. They are not exactly an easy airline to analyse :)

Thanks for the info. I didn't know that. A flight from MEL to DOH via ADL wouldn't suit the business traveller but i'm sure it would appeal to the price conscious traveller if the fare was right.
ZL,QF,KE,BA,AS,CX,FR,U2,W6,EI,IB,JL,AY,LH,AA,AC,FQ,DJ,JQ,LA,FJ,QS,NZ,NF,SB,PG,EK,AB,VA,MH,KA,VN
 
User avatar
eta unknown
Posts: 2900
Joined: Wed Jun 13, 2001 5:03 am

c

Tue Aug 02, 2016 8:07 am

qf002 wrote:
JQflightie wrote:
I think people would be surprised, although NTL airport is longer in Km from Hornsby/Central Coast it's quicker in time

It's really not though. Without traffic you can get to SYD in ~50 minutes from Hornsby, add another 20-30 minutes during peak periods (potentially less once the new Northconnex tunnel opens).
NTL is 1hr 40m on the motorway, minimum.
Absolutely correct- NTL isn't on any the radar of any SYD pax. The fare would need to be significantly cheaper, but by the time you add in the costs of shlepping up to NTL- then further to Williamtown- it's not worth it. Ditto OOL/BNE, if you live north of Logan it's the same scenario, the exception being a very off peak Air Asia or Scoot excursion to Asia.
As for JQ crew opting for NTL over SYD... well, yeah... cheaper rent!!!
 
User avatar
qf2220
Posts: 1994
Joined: Fri Aug 16, 2013 9:16 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread Part 143

Tue Aug 02, 2016 11:06 pm

mariner wrote:

As always, it will be what we - the users - make it.

mariner



Then why is there an entire industry devoted to User Experience (UX) and making websites/apps/software etc easier to use to make it more user friendly and increase the usage of things? I think a UX expert could take a look at this site, take some of the feedback and make recommendations for improvement.

Also, Im not harking on for bringing back the old site, I'm saying that this upgrade has not been an overly impressive one. I don't agree with the notion that we just have to get used to it, people who want us to use their site should do a decent job at making it user friendly
 
User avatar
mariner
Posts: 19473
Joined: Fri Nov 23, 2001 7:29 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread Part 143

Wed Aug 03, 2016 12:09 am

qf2220 wrote:
Then why is there an entire industry devoted to User Experience (UX) and making websites/apps/software etc easier to use to make it more user friendly and increase the usage of things? I think a UX expert could take a look at this site, take some of the feedback and make recommendations for improvement.

Also, Im not harking on for bringing back the old site, I'm saying that this upgrade has not been an overly impressive one. I don't agree with the notion that we just have to get used to it, people who want us to use their site should do a decent job at making it user friendly


As I've said before, I find this new website extremely easy to use, more so than the old site. Apart from the "staying logged in" problem, which I believe is being fixed, I don't have any problems with it.

I was appalled at the negative over-reaction to the interim "white site" - once I understood it was different I set about learning how to use it. I'm basically computer illiterate but it wasn't hard, and I'm glad to see some of the functions have been retained in this new blue site. I also remember that it took me some time to get used to all the functions of the old site when I first joined fifteen years ago.

mariner
aeternum nauta

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos