Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

jetliners
Topic Author

I Fly A380 Dot Com

Fri Jul 15, 2016 1:08 am

The A380 seems to be most loved by travelers, ironically Airlines seem to be in flavor of twin engine jets. I have some questions about:

1. Can this I Fly A380 scheme trigger more tickets on A380 flights in order to increase its popularity and perhaps push more airlines to order the A380 to fulfill what aircraft types travelers really like?

2. If this is going to be successful, will it work for Boeing to start a similar scheme for the Dreamliner?

3. If this is not going to be successful, is it the end of the A380's production line.

http://iflya380.com/

Sorry if it has been discussed before.

Good day. :)

DLPMMM

Re: I Fly A380 Dot Com

Fri Jul 15, 2016 1:27 am

Won't be successful, but really didn't cost Airbus anything to try.

wjcandee

Fri Jul 15, 2016 1:39 am

Okay, so the funniest thing about this is CNN's take.

Their actual article on all this, "Fans Get A Website", has the correct headline and the correct photos.

However, on the CNN homepage, where all this first came to my attention, there is a big box that says, "A320 Fans Get A Booking Site!" With a correct photo of an A320!

I said, "Huh? I mean, I like the A320, but to go out of my way to book it on a special site??"

Then I noticed the part that asked, "Love the Superjumbo?" Which the A320, of course, is decidedly not.

Ohhhhhh. I think I see the problem.

Clicking on the link, I was taken to the article, which made a little more sense.

Good of CNN to match the proper aircraft photo to the headline, even if they both were not what the actual article was discussing...

IslandRob

Fri Jul 15, 2016 1:51 am

I guess the A380 sales campaign has come to this. -ir
If you wrote me off, I'd understand it
'Cause I've been on some other planet
So come pick me up, I've landed

CANPILOT

Fri Jul 15, 2016 2:02 am

jetliners wrote:
The A380 seems to be most loved by travelers, ironically Airlines seem to be in flavor of twin engine jets. I have some questions about:

1. Can this I Fly A380 scheme trigger more tickets on A380 flights in order to increase its popularity and perhaps push more airlines to order the A380 to fulfill what aircraft types travelers really like?

2. If this is going to be successful, will it work for Boeing to start a similar scheme for the Dreamliner?

3. If this is not going to be successful, is it the end of the A380's production line.

1. Can it trigger more tickets: Yes, but probably not a very significant amount, at least in comparison to existing online travel booking websites. Increase popularity: Yes, but probably not a great deal, if nothing else its good marketing for the A380 and Airbus. Pushes more airlines to order the A380: I doubt you will see any major push like that any time soon, at least not because of this. But in the long term if the additional marketing and popularity of the A380 even bring in one extra order for Airbus, I suppose it would have been more than worth it for them.

2. Will Boeing start a similar scheme: I doubt it, people aren't exactly queuing to board the 17 inch economy seats for a long range flight on the 787, and most 787's don't have fancy first classes with on board bars and showers with the website can advertise. Perhaps we will see something similar for the 777X, but I doubt it. I do however, see existing booking websites adopting features from this website. One thing I would love to see is Google Flights add a refine by airplane feature so you can search for flights on a specific type of airplane. I also see other websites adopting the approach to show high quality pictures and other media for premium cabins so travelers can compare the fares with more information on what their seat is going to look like and what in-flight features are available. Similar to the way you book hotels, you can see pictures of your hotel room and details about the features available to cross compare, this can be adopted by existing booking sites for air travel, especially on the premium end. I would also love to see a refine by seat width and/or pitch feature for economy flights, but I doubt they will be able to get airlines to sign up to provide that information.

3. Is it the end of the A380's production line: This is way too insignificant to have any real effect on whether or not the A380 production ends any time soon.

TheFlyingDisk

Fri Jul 15, 2016 2:03 am

jetliners wrote:

1) I doubt it. Your average passenger/traveler cares only about price & schedule. They don't care much for the type of plane used - only us avgeeks care whether or not we're flying on a B747/A380/B787.
2) It's a good PR scheme, but I doubt Boeing's going to do the same thing. There are now more than 2x 787s flying passengers than A380s so the Dreamliner don't really need such schemes to gain publicity.
3) I don't think this has any bearing on the end of the A380. Emirates is the deciding factor on whether or not the A380 continues to be produced.
I FLY KLM+ALASKA+QATAR+MALAYSIA+AIRASIA+MALINDO

flyingclrs727

Fri Jul 15, 2016 2:49 am

I don't know what's so great about the A380 or at least Lufthansa'a version of it in Y class. Lufthansa's A380 seats are similar to their slimline A320 seats. The skimpy padding on the seat backs is tolerable, but the lack of padding of the seat bottoms is awful. It's bad enough to have such hard seats in a 3 hour flight on an A320, but it can be unbearable on an 11 hour flight on an A380. The seat might be just fine for 18 year olds who are in perfect health, but they are terrible for someone like me who has had back surgery. I don't have much cushioning effect from the discs in my spine at the L5-S1 level. If it weren't for the lack of padding, the seats do have lots of space. There is so much space between the cabin wall and the window that it's like sitting in an aisle seat.

GSPFlyer

Fri Jul 15, 2016 3:51 am

[quote="flyingclrs727"][/quote]

That's exactly it. With all other things equal (style of the interior, cabin service), there's no difference between an A380 and any other aircraft from a passenger's perspective. I've flown on a Delta 737-900 that was just as comfortable as the Qantas A380 I flew on, and would've been the same with an equal level of service from the DL cabin crew. The only reason the average passenger knows they're on an A380 is the distinctive shape, otherwise, they wouldn't be able to tell a 757 from an A319, or a 777 from a 767. I bet the only reason the few that "prefer" an A380 over other flights is because they like the novelty of flying on the largest passenger aircraft in the world. Judging by the lack of recent A380 orders, there aren't enough passengers that care about that enough to warrant airlines to order it instead of large twin-engine, long-range planes like the 777 and A350.

CANPILOT

Fri Jul 15, 2016 4:01 am

flyingclrs727 wrote:
I don't know what's so great about the A380 or at least Lufthansa'a version of it in Y class. Lufthansa's A380 seats are similar to their slimline A320 seats. The skimpy padding on the seat backs is tolerable, but the lack of padding of the seat bottoms is awful. It's bad enough to have such hard seats in a 3 hour flight on an A320, but it can be unbearable on an 11 hour flight on an A380. The seat might be just fine for 18 year olds who are in perfect health, but they are terrible for someone like me who has had back surgery. I don't have much cushioning effect from the discs in my spine at the L5-S1 level. If it weren't for the lack of padding, the seats do have lots of space. There is so much space between the cabin wall and the window that it's like sitting in an aisle seat.

For some reason, Lufthansa only has a seat width of 18.2 inches and a pitch of 31 inches, which means they are likely using a slim seat with less padding, hence your discomfort. However, it is possible to install 19 inch width (with the same 10 abreast seating as Lufthansa), and most airlines seem to pitch 32 inches. A good example of this is Singapore's A380s. I think it ultimately comes down to the airline, but at least it is possible to install very comfortable economy seats and keep economics intact with the A380, while with the 787 (although its an excellent plane as well) it is not possible to install seats wider than 17.3 inches with the 9 abreast seating. If you go 8 abreast and 19 inch seat width on the 787 you pretty much throw its otherwise excellent economics out the window.
Last edited by CANPILOT on Fri Jul 15, 2016 5:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

CANPILOT

Fri Jul 15, 2016 4:18 am

GSPFlyer wrote:
flyingclrs727 wrote:

That's exactly it. With all other things equal (style of the interior, cabin service), there's no difference between an A380 and any other aircraft from a passenger's perspective. I've flown on a Delta 737-900 that was just as comfortable as the Qantas A380 I flew on, and would've been the same with an equal level of service from the DL cabin crew. The only reason the average passenger knows they're on an A380 is the distinctive shape, otherwise, they wouldn't be able to tell a 757 from an A319, or a 777 from a 767. I bet the only reason the few that "prefer" an A380 over other flights is because they like the novelty of flying on the largest passenger aircraft in the world. Judging by the lack of recent A380 orders, there aren't enough passengers that care about that enough to warrant airlines to order it instead of large twin-engine, long-range planes like the 777 and A350.

I disagree, I think there is more to it than just the novelty of being the largest airliner. Firstly, it is generally considered the quietest airliner, in terms of interior noise level, even more so than the 787 and A350. Secondly, like I mentioned on the previous post, at 10 abreast in economy, its possible max seat width is larger than the other aircraft you mentioned while keeping its economics intact. Lastly, when it comes to premium passengers, since the A380 has more space (over 40% more usable floor space than the 747-8), airlines can add full-service bars and showers, etc. to attract first class and business class passengers, which is something that is harder to do on the smaller 787, 777 and A350.

So, in terms of passenger comfort I do think there can be a noticeable step up, but it depends on how the airline configures it and what seats are installed. Does that mean a lot more airlines will order it, I don't think so, some passengers may like the A380, but the vast majority aren't willing to pay significantly more to fly it, unlike what Airbus would have us believe. Most airlines would struggle to fill the A380 on most routes throughout the year, and many don't have a luxury/premium brand position which is conducive to the A380's extra space (i.e. it doesn't make sense for them to provide bars and showers).

aw70

Fri Jul 15, 2016 5:35 am

That's exactly it. With all other things equal (style of the interior, cabin service), there's no difference between an A380 and any other aircraft from a passenger's perspective.

Oh, but there is. On a 14 hour flight (say, FRA-LAX), the noise level in the cabin can make a huge difference to how rested you arrive. I do not have any hearing problems, but still try to make long haul flights on the A380 for that one reason alone. I even put up with Lufthansa's spartan service in Y (and their seats...) due to this.

trent1000

Fri Jul 15, 2016 11:01 am

Some airlines have a surcharge on A380 routes. For instance, SQ charges (US) $500 to $2700 per route according to class.
With nearly 200 of the jets in service, there's hardly a "new" or "novelty" factor in booking an A380 if one has to pay such surcharges which are a disincentive rather than an incentive.

tjcab

Fri Jul 15, 2016 1:41 pm

Look, even if the seats are 17inches in economy, there is no denying that there is still a vast amount of additional lateral space between seats. So yes, all else equal, the 380 is much better. People can spin it whichever way they want to favor their preference, but, until they place 12 seats in a row, it will always be better. It is like trying to claim that 3-3-3 in an A330 is going to be the same as 3-3-3 on a 787 if they installed the same seats. I think not.

dmstorm22

Fri Jul 15, 2016 2:43 pm

TheFlyingDisk wrote:
jetliners wrote:

1) I doubt it. Your average passenger/traveler cares only about price & schedule. They don't care much for the type of plane used - only us avgeeks care whether or not we're flying on a B747/A380/B787.
2) It's a good PR scheme, but I doubt Boeing's going to do the same thing. There are now more than 2x 787s flying passengers than A380s so the Dreamliner don't really need such schemes to gain publicity.
3) I don't think this has any bearing on the end of the A380. Emirates is the deciding factor on whether or not the A380 continues to be produced.

I think we are being a little harsh and the average passenger. I think the 747 and A380 gained enough mainstream traction a lot of the general flying public would know what those are. Now, would they go out of their way to fly them? I heavily doubt that. Even I, as an aviation geek, did so only until I realized the difference is not that great in terms of in-cabin service/feel than most other 77W services.

I absolutely agree on your other two points. People don't need to go out of their way to fly a 787, that will naturally just happen given how common the type is becoming in medium/long haul ops. And yes, this is not going to 'save' the A380. The issue with the A380 is not a lack of prestige, it is purely the economic realities of the aircraft.

rocketPower

Fri Jul 15, 2016 6:31 pm

Not sure I'd start a 787 booking site for a chance to be squished into a 17.3" seat! The reviews online have been horrible, all in the vein of great aircraft, terrible seats!

Really a shame for such a game-changing plane.
rocketPower

Life is about enjoying being uncomfortable. If you're complacent, something is wrong!

jetliners
Topic Author

Wed Jul 20, 2016 1:00 am

rocketPower wrote:
Not sure I'd start a 787 booking site for a chance to be squished into a 17.3" seat! The reviews online have been horrible, all in the vein of great aircraft, terrible seats!

Have you been on one? I wanted to try B787 on ANA but 3-3-3 stopped me from booking it. 17.3 sounds awful but is it really that bad in reality? Thanks.

PEK777

Wed Jul 20, 2016 1:06 am

for me it is the aisle width that is the killer on the 333 787. you will be getting carts and bodies the knees the whole flight

neutronstar73

Wed Jul 20, 2016 1:13 am

trent1000 wrote:
Some airlines have a surcharge on A380 routes. For instance, SQ charges (US) $500 to $2700 per route according to class.
With nearly 200 of the jets in service, there's hardly a "new" or "novelty" factor in booking an A380 if one has to pay such surcharges which are a disincentive rather than an incentive.

This seems to basically put to bed this statement:

CANPILOT: while with the 787 (although its an excellent plane as well) it is not possible to install seats wider than 17.3 inches with the 9 abreast seating. If you go 8 abreast and 19 inch seat width on the 787 you pretty much throw its otherwise excellent economics out the window.

Because if you are charging a surcharge to fly on the airplane, it seems to me that your economics aren't working out, and there is a point where a passenger will say "2700 dollars more to fly on a bigger jet, that may have showers on board? Nope. I think I'll save that 2700 on an upgraded hotel room at my destination, or do a few more things at my destination.

Cute little gimmick by Airbus, as it now shows some pretty desperate measures to try to get the flying public to clamor for more jets. Which won't happen because as people have already said, the vast majority fly on price and care not a whip what airplane it is that gets them to the destination. And there aint enough premium passengers to keep the A380 in production for showers and spas and bars.

I seem to remember another jumbo jet that promised the exact thing upon its introduction, and they, too, had those bars and stuff mostly removed. I wonder what plane that is??

rocketPower

Wed Jul 20, 2016 2:53 am

jetliners wrote:
rocketPower wrote:

Have you been on one? I wanted to try B787 on ANA but 3-3-3 stopped me from booking it. 17.3 sounds awful but is it really that bad in reality? Thanks.

Nope, will be on an AC 789 soon, but in W. First time on a dreamliner, kinda excited!!!
rocketPower

Life is about enjoying being uncomfortable. If you're complacent, something is wrong!

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos