Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

 
aircatalonia
Topic Author
Posts: 643
Joined: Wed Nov 28, 2007 12:50 pm

Turkish military coup impact on civil aviation

Fri Jul 15, 2016 8:22 pm

Flights affected?
Last edited by SQ22 on Sat Jul 16, 2016 9:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Thread title updated
 
User avatar
OA260
Posts: 24613
Joined: Thu Nov 30, 2006 8:50 pm

Re: Turkish military coup

Fri Jul 15, 2016 8:26 pm

Tanks and military at IST

Image
.
Image
 
User avatar
pvjin
Posts: 3586
Joined: Fri Mar 16, 2012 4:52 pm

Re: Turkish military coup

Fri Jul 15, 2016 8:35 pm

It would appear according to reports that there's a lot of military activity in the air, I wonder how controlled all of this will be in such unstable conditions. Either way, best of luck to the military with their coup attempt.
"Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that." - Martin Luther King Jr
 
vr-hkg
Posts: 230
Joined: Sat Oct 06, 2001 7:32 am

Re: Turkish military coup

Fri Jul 15, 2016 8:38 pm

 
AAJFKLHR777
Posts: 21
Joined: Tue Feb 20, 2007 9:40 am

Re: Turkish military coup

Fri Jul 15, 2016 8:39 pm

Reports that Ataturk is currently closed to all inbound/outbound traffic.
 
vr-hkg
Posts: 230
Joined: Sat Oct 06, 2001 7:32 am

Re: Turkish military coup

Fri Jul 15, 2016 8:40 pm

And Reuters apparently now reporting all outbound flights cancelled:

http://www.itv.com/news/update/2016-07- ... cancelled/
 
User avatar
OA260
Posts: 24613
Joined: Thu Nov 30, 2006 8:50 pm

Re: Turkish military coup

Fri Jul 15, 2016 8:44 pm

Its a very fast moving and worrying development . There must be thousands stranded at IST right now.
 
b747400erf
Posts: 3172
Joined: Wed Jun 19, 2013 4:33 am

Re: Turkish military coup

Fri Jul 15, 2016 8:54 pm

The government claims there was a coup, and has sent out tanks as a show of force. Like all the last "coups" they are consolidating power by the dictator against imaginary enemies.
 
User avatar
pvjin
Posts: 3586
Joined: Fri Mar 16, 2012 4:52 pm

Re: Turkish military coup

Fri Jul 15, 2016 9:00 pm

b747400erf wrote:
The government claims there was a coup, and has sent out tanks as a show of force. Like all the last "coups" they are consolidating power by the dictator against imaginary enemies.


Not so sure whether those tanks are actually loyal to the present government. Also on twitter there are some videos showing explosions and attack helicopters firing.
"Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that." - Martin Luther King Jr
 
User avatar
airkas1
Posts: 7904
Joined: Sat Dec 20, 2003 7:01 am

Re: Turkish military coup

Fri Jul 15, 2016 9:02 pm

Planes are still landing at IST according to FR24. However, all of them are TK aicraft. KLM1617 to IST turned back to AMS when it was over Southwestern Romania and BA680 turned back off the coast near Burgas.
 
User avatar
thekorean
Posts: 1797
Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2011 9:05 pm

Re: Turkish military coup

Fri Jul 15, 2016 9:10 pm

Hoping for a bloodless coup to get Erdogan out of power and put secular democracy back.
 
Alexdk
Posts: 242
Joined: Thu Oct 01, 2015 9:08 pm

Re: Turkish military coup

Fri Jul 15, 2016 9:12 pm

Lufthansa and KLM are returning to FRA and AMS respectively. BA flight is apparently diverting to SOF.
 
User avatar
OA260
Posts: 24613
Joined: Thu Nov 30, 2006 8:50 pm

Re: Turkish military coup

Fri Jul 15, 2016 9:13 pm

Reports the military are now in charge of IST. Russian and French Dept of foreign affairs advising its citizens to stay indoors.
 
dubaiamman243
Posts: 1153
Joined: Tue Jan 13, 2015 8:00 pm

Re: Turkish military coup

Fri Jul 15, 2016 9:14 pm

flights are still arriving and landing
The next airline CEO :crossfingers:
 
Mainland
Posts: 277
Joined: Mon Jun 14, 2004 3:17 pm

Re: Turkish military coup

Fri Jul 15, 2016 9:22 pm

Aeroflot 2134 Has reversed course over the Black Sea, possible diversion.
You don't need a passport to know what state you're in...
 
User avatar
OA260
Posts: 24613
Joined: Thu Nov 30, 2006 8:50 pm

Re: Turkish military coup

Fri Jul 15, 2016 9:36 pm

Seems mostly Turkish aircraft are landing. Twitter and Facebook being closed down . Many foreign airlines diverting. Stand off between Police and Military in downtown Istanbul.
 
MaxxFlyer
Posts: 456
Joined: Thu Feb 18, 2016 6:29 pm

Re: Turkish military coup

Fri Jul 15, 2016 9:37 pm

vr-hkg wrote:
And Reuters apparently now reporting all outbound flights cancelled:

http://www.itv.com/news/update/2016-07- ... cancelled/


It's going on 01:00 in Turkey. Does TK have a overnight bank of flights like some other middle eastern hubs? MSNBC is reports TK flights departing IST to the U.S.are cancelled. I'd think there may be a couple TK flights from N. America in the air already
 
User avatar
Revelation
Posts: 24850
Joined: Wed Feb 09, 2005 9:37 pm

Re: Turkish military coup

Fri Jul 15, 2016 9:37 pm

OA260 wrote:
Its a very fast moving and worrying development . There must be thousands stranded at IST right now.

As if the Turkish travel and airline industries didn't have enough challenges, now this.

Pray no one gets hurt or killed during this very upsetting event!
Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world
The heart has its beaches, its homeland and thoughts of its own
Wake now, discover that you are the song that the morning brings
The heart has its seasons, its evenings and songs of its own
 
AF022
Posts: 1861
Joined: Fri Dec 26, 2003 10:41 pm

Re: Turkish military coup

Fri Jul 15, 2016 9:41 pm

Looks like a Gulf Air flight was just about to arrive at IST and turned around.
http://flightaware.com/live/flight/GFA45
I'm curious that THY flights are still arriving/departing.
 
b747400erf
Posts: 3172
Joined: Wed Jun 19, 2013 4:33 am

Re: Turkish military coup

Fri Jul 15, 2016 9:49 pm

pvjin wrote:
b747400erf wrote:
The government claims there was a coup, and has sent out tanks as a show of force. Like all the last "coups" they are consolidating power by the dictator against imaginary enemies.


Not so sure whether those tanks are actually loyal to the present government. Also on twitter there are some videos showing explosions and attack helicopters firing.


I stand corrected then, I was hoping it was a non violent show of force by the government, but this is something else the more I read. Hope no violences comes of this, but a lot of people are not happy about the ruling government.
 
User avatar
OA260
Posts: 24613
Joined: Thu Nov 30, 2006 8:50 pm

Re: Turkish military coup

Fri Jul 15, 2016 9:49 pm

AF022 wrote:
Looks like a Gulf Air flight was just about to arrive at IST and turned around.
http://flightaware.com/live/flight/GFA45
I'm curious that THY flights are still arriving/departing.


I think I read that THY are the only ones allowed to land. Foreign airlines being diverted. Obviously right now if I was on a flight to IST Id rather be diverted to a neighbouring place like SOF ATH OTP etc...
 
peterinlisbon
Posts: 1837
Joined: Wed Feb 01, 2006 3:37 am

Re: Turkish military coup

Fri Jul 15, 2016 9:53 pm

Air Arabia from Casablanca was over the Marmara Sea about 5 minutes from landing when it turned around and headed west. It's now back in Greek airspace.
 
AF022
Posts: 1861
Joined: Fri Dec 26, 2003 10:41 pm

Re: Turkish military coup

Fri Jul 15, 2016 9:56 pm

OA260 wrote:
AF022 wrote:
Looks like a Gulf Air flight was just about to arrive at IST and turned around.
http://flightaware.com/live/flight/GFA45
I'm curious that THY flights are still arriving/departing.


I think I read that THY are the only ones allowed to land. Foreign airlines being diverted. Obviously right now if I was on a flight to IST Id rather be diverted to a neighbouring place like SOF ATH OTP etc...


Are TK aircraft being permitted to depart? I can't imagine they would be. Can anyone confirm?
 
ChristopherS
Posts: 91
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2016 3:03 am

Re: Turkish military coup

Fri Jul 15, 2016 10:03 pm

Several PC and GF flights seem to be going back to where they came from.
319, 320, 738, MD80
 
User avatar
OA260
Posts: 24613
Joined: Thu Nov 30, 2006 8:50 pm

Re: Turkish military coup

Fri Jul 15, 2016 10:05 pm

Image
 
ChristopherS
Posts: 91
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2016 3:03 am

Re: Turkish military coup

Fri Jul 15, 2016 10:10 pm

It seems that a cargo TK A310 is going to be the last arrival, and there don't seem to be departues.

EDIT: The A310 arrived, and flight aware currently shows now more aircraft going to or leaving IST.
Last edited by ChristopherS on Fri Jul 15, 2016 10:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
319, 320, 738, MD80
 
User avatar
OA260
Posts: 24613
Joined: Thu Nov 30, 2006 8:50 pm

Re: Turkish military coup

Fri Jul 15, 2016 10:12 pm

Sky News reporting gunfire heard at IST. Also gunfire downtown Istanbul. Explosions in Ankara.
 
User avatar
giorgosk
Posts: 4
Joined: Thu Sep 10, 2009 8:08 pm

Re: Turkish military coup

Fri Jul 15, 2016 10:18 pm

GF45 from Bahrain to IST is diverting to Athens,
 
User avatar
giorgosk
Posts: 4
Joined: Thu Sep 10, 2009 8:08 pm

Re: Turkish military coup

Fri Jul 15, 2016 10:21 pm

peterinlisbon wrote:
Air Arabia from Casablanca was over the Marmara Sea about 5 minutes from landing when it turned around and headed west. It's now back in Greek airspace.


Just landed in Thessaloniki
 
planesandtrains
Posts: 1
Joined: Sat Apr 19, 2014 9:57 am

Re: Turkish military coup

Fri Jul 15, 2016 10:22 pm

Such a serious situation. We can only hope for the best.
 
MaxxFlyer
Posts: 456
Joined: Thu Feb 18, 2016 6:29 pm

Re: Turkish military coup

Fri Jul 15, 2016 10:25 pm

HH6371 still seems headed to IST.
 
ChristopherS
Posts: 91
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2016 3:03 am

Re: Turkish military coup

Fri Jul 15, 2016 10:27 pm

BA 660 and TK 1748 seem to be on track to IST.

Edit:BA 660 is diverting to SOF.
319, 320, 738, MD80
 
MaxxFlyer
Posts: 456
Joined: Thu Feb 18, 2016 6:29 pm

Re: Turkish military coup

Fri Jul 15, 2016 10:34 pm

HH6371 seems to be turning around, TK1748 seems on approach. Is anything happening at SAW?
 
User avatar
xaapb
Posts: 433
Joined: Sat Jan 22, 2005 2:08 pm

Re: Turkish military coup

Fri Jul 15, 2016 10:36 pm

KLM1617 landed at VIE and now airborne from VIE back to AMS. Can't find the DLH flight on FR24.
SIA312 from SIN turn around and heading back to SIA

Hope everything turns out ok.

Jorge
Jorge Meneses
 
GianiDC
Posts: 179
Joined: Wed Dec 11, 2013 6:30 pm

Re: Turkish military coup

Fri Jul 15, 2016 10:41 pm

xaapb wrote:
Can't find the DLH flight on FR24.




According to german media it also turned around back to FRA.
 
flylonghaul
Posts: 154
Joined: Wed Feb 10, 2010 9:31 pm

Re: Turkish military coup

Fri Jul 15, 2016 10:43 pm

ATC in IST is actually pleading with at least one flight not to proceed with pushback.
(Not sure how this would work, but thats whats happening)
One flight is saying that they intend to depart under their filed flight plan.
Military is in the tower apparently. But tower has no information about what is going on.
Flights have been at the gate waiting for pushback for several hours without any info, so understandably they are getting annoyed.
Tower just keeps saying she has no information.
Crazy situation!!
Last edited by flylonghaul on Fri Jul 15, 2016 10:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Flying for Pleasure
 
flylonghaul
Posts: 154
Joined: Wed Feb 10, 2010 9:31 pm

Re: Turkish military coup

Fri Jul 15, 2016 10:44 pm

GF45 from BAH diverted to ATH
Flying for Pleasure
 
User avatar
ikolkyo
Posts: 3001
Joined: Tue Nov 05, 2013 8:43 pm

Re: Turkish military coup

Fri Jul 15, 2016 10:50 pm

Complete chaos at IST currently.

People are now walking around the ramp
https://www.periscope.tv/w/1yoJMlNjLOzGQ

There is no security to be found here
https://www.periscope.tv/w/1BdGYVaoOXoJX
 
Planesmart
Posts: 2891
Joined: Sun Dec 05, 2004 3:18 am

Re: Turkish military coup

Fri Jul 15, 2016 10:50 pm

Potential massive boost for ME3 traffic.

Will a certain ME3 airline now suddenly decide they have no new aircraft with delivery faults that require extensive remedial work?
 
GianiDC
Posts: 179
Joined: Wed Dec 11, 2013 6:30 pm

Re: Turkish military coup

Fri Jul 15, 2016 10:52 pm

FR24 reporting that flights from SAW depart again.

http://twitter.com/flightradar24/status ... 9989865473
 
User avatar
TheLark
Posts: 46
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2016 6:53 pm

Re: Turkish military coup

Fri Jul 15, 2016 10:52 pm

TK791 from TLV just turned back to TLV.
Night's candles are burnt out, and jocund day stands tiptoe on the misty mountain tops
 
rfields5421
Posts: 6374
Joined: Thu Jul 19, 2007 12:45 am

Re: Turkish military coup

Fri Jul 15, 2016 10:55 pm

It would be completely normal and expected that ALL FLIGHTS by airlines not based in Turkey turn back, or divert to alternates tonight. Those non-Turkish airlines will also do everything they can to get their current aircraft out of Turkey, if it can be done safely.

No airline wants to take a chance on getting an aircraft, crews or passengers stuck in a situation which might take many days to resolve. Add to that the very remote, but still real, chance of damage to an aircraft if the situation turned violent.

While some people will be upset at not getting to Turkey today/ tonight - it is better for everyone to stay out until the situation is resolved.
Not all who wander are lost.
 
MaxxFlyer
Posts: 456
Joined: Thu Feb 18, 2016 6:29 pm

Re: Turkish military coup

Fri Jul 15, 2016 11:03 pm

Planesmart wrote:
Potential massive boost for ME3 traffic.

Will a certain ME3 airline now suddenly decide they have no new aircraft with delivery faults that require extensive remedial work?


I really don't think the executives at the ME3 are plotting the future in regards to what may or may not be happening at IST and TK.
 
StarAll
Posts: 1
Joined: Fri Jul 15, 2016 11:00 pm

Re: Turkish military coup

Fri Jul 15, 2016 11:04 pm

rfields5421 wrote:
It would be completely normal and expected that ALL FLIGHTS by airlines not based in Turkey turn back, or divert to alternates tonight. Those non-Turkish airlines will also do everything they can to get their current aircraft out of Turkey, if it can be done safely.

No airline wants to take a chance on getting an aircraft, crews or passengers stuck in a situation which might take many days to resolve. Add to that the very remote, but still real, chance of damage to an aircraft if the situation turned violent.

While some people will be upset at not getting to Turkey today/ tonight - it is better for everyone to stay out until the situation is resolved.


Long timer lurker here, travel a lot for work.
Watching this video https://www.periscope.tv/mhmtucan/1yoJMlNjLOzGQ at 18min or so, seems to show people all over the place.

Not the best place to leave your plane.
 
Pavlakakos
Posts: 55
Joined: Fri Jun 24, 2016 5:51 am

Re: Turkish military coup

Fri Jul 15, 2016 11:04 pm

Coup seems to be failing. However there was a report on SKAI TV Greece that a F-16 has shot down a Sikorsky chopper over Ankara. :(
 
DDR
Posts: 1734
Joined: Sat Sep 28, 2013 11:09 pm

Re: Turkish military coup

Fri Jul 15, 2016 11:18 pm

TV is showing people just walking past security checkpoints in the airport so, no surprise that there are no out going flights. Absolutely no security at the airport. Have to wonder if terrorists will use this opportunity.
 
User avatar
JetBuddy
Posts: 2580
Joined: Wed Dec 25, 2013 1:04 am

Re: Turkish military coup

Fri Jul 15, 2016 11:19 pm

MaxxFlyer wrote:
Planesmart wrote:
Potential massive boost for ME3 traffic.

Will a certain ME3 airline now suddenly decide they have no new aircraft with delivery faults that require extensive remedial work?


I really don't think the executives at the ME3 are plotting the future in regards to what may or may not be happening at IST and TK.


Of course they pay attention to the situation in Turkey. It has everything to do with their own business.

Regarding the coup, I was hoping it would succeed. But it seems like they've failed. Lot's of Erdogan supporters running to the streets after Erdogan told his supporters to do so. And Islamic imams and clerics have been shouting the same message from the minarets as well.
 
MaxxFlyer
Posts: 456
Joined: Thu Feb 18, 2016 6:29 pm

Re: Turkish military coup

Fri Jul 15, 2016 11:26 pm

JetBuddy wrote:
MaxxFlyer wrote:
Planesmart wrote:
Potential massive boost for ME3 traffic.

Will a certain ME3 airline now suddenly decide they have no new aircraft with delivery faults that require extensive remedial work?


I really don't think the executives at the ME3 are plotting the future in regards to what may or may not be happening at IST and TK.


Of course they pay attention to the situation in Turkey. It has everything to do with their own business.

Regarding the coup, I was hoping it would succeed. But it seems like they've failed. Lot's of Erdogan supporters running to the streets after Erdogan told his supporters to do so. And Islamic imams and clerics have been shouting the same message from the minarets as well.


Perhaps I should have qualified my statement. They likely are not looking at it in the days following this. I'm not sure what your information source is, but I have seen nothing to show the coup has failed. People in the streets to not equal success or failure. It likely will mean a lot of dead people. The media got it wrong initially in Egypt, they may in this. Still, it's too soon to call.
 
southsidesilver
Posts: 98
Joined: Wed Sep 29, 2010 10:14 am

Re: Turkish military coup

Fri Jul 15, 2016 11:35 pm

Looks like Eva Air 79 turned around over India and is heading back

https://www.flightradar24.com/data/flights/br79
I make videos about my airplane travels.
 
raaadek
Posts: 54
Joined: Sat Sep 08, 2007 1:09 am

Re: Turkish military coup

Fri Jul 15, 2016 11:36 pm

Erdogan deciding if it is safe to go to IST?
https://www.flightradar24.com/THY8456/a5a3952

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos