readytotaxi
Topic Author

Int Airlines serving local produce inflight.

Sun Jul 17, 2016 6:06 pm

I am wondering how many airlines serve customers local produce, or just go with the GateGoumet "style" of mass catering.
just watched a Rick stein video from Tasmania where Wallaby meat is King, like saddle of Lamb.
Are there any daring airlines out there promoting national local food in fight?
you don't get a second chance to make a first impression!
Growing older, but not up.

777klm

Re: Int Airlines serving local produce inflight.

Sun Jul 17, 2016 7:26 pm

Home airport: AMS
Next flight: CNX - BKK

AZa346

Sun Jul 17, 2016 7:50 pm

Alitalia's business food is italian... Thus it has been often been rated number 1 when it comes to food!

ETinCaribe

Mon Jul 18, 2016 5:17 am

ET has Ethiopian dishes on select flies in J.

voodoo

Mon Jul 18, 2016 10:33 am

Luckily Icelandair doesn't serve rotten shark.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/H%C3%A1karl
` Yeaah! Baade 152! Trabi of the Sky! '

kottok

Mon Jul 18, 2016 11:29 am

Swiss serves Raclette in Business Class

oldannyboy

Tue Jul 19, 2016 3:29 pm

I've had delicious curry on Srilankan, and truly excellent beef (if local I don't know) on Malaysia. I also remember delicious roastbeef with plenty of gravy, along with roast potatoes served on BA back in the day...not sure if that was local, but it certainly was an extremely British dish!

persiangulf93

Tue Jul 19, 2016 3:44 pm

All Iranian airlines only serve Persian food!

kimshep

Wed Jul 20, 2016 7:34 am

Qantas [QF] meals are local produce and overseen / inspired by executive chef Neil Perry (of 'Rockpool' fame) which originate from the Qantas Catering kitchens. Its not unusual to find Barramundi with a mild curry sauce as a main, local plum-based deserts or local cheese-platters with fruit.

Mid-flight items such as ice-cream are locally produced Weiss items (ahh, the excellent Mango Bar) and fresh Australian fruit is served on long-haul ex Australian ports. Cakes & slices are also Australian local produce. Snack foods in the Raid the Larder such as 'Maltesers' etc. are generic in origin but also still produced locally.

As a frequent winner of 'Best Cellar in the Sky', Australian wines are always present and showcased on all QF flights.

sirdanilot

Wed Jul 20, 2016 8:32 am

KLM doesn't serve any to my knowledge, but having a lowly pea soup or mashed potatoes with cabbage (the epitomes of Dutch cuisine) would be a bit lackluster for business class I suppose. And wine hardly grows here so no possibility for local wines either. Most 'local' thing they sell will be the beers such as Heineken (which albeit local, being produced about 5 kms from where I currently live, can be bought anywhere inthe world anyway).

Find this thread interesting though. Flying in Y I always seem to get the same old generic meals. Some dry pasta and chicken+rice as options. Of course variety will be a bit better in J but still I find it interesting t see which airlines sell local food/dishes.

raffik

Wed Jul 20, 2016 8:54 am

Middle East Airlines (MEA) serve local produce on flights departing Beirut.
All morning flights offer a traditional Lebanese sweet breakfast choice known as Knafeh. Served even with the little sesame flat breads and rose and orange blossom syrup- offered in Business and Economy.

Starters include local cheeses, breads and hommous, baba ghanoush, tabouleh in Business class and a stripped down version in Economy. Hot dishes include skewered meats, traditional Lebanese dishes also.
And of course they stock local wines from the Bekaa Valley - Ksara Sauvignon Blanc or red wine.
- Alec

oldannyboy

Wed Jul 20, 2016 9:06 am

persiangulf93 wrote:

Oh wow.... wish I could have one nice long flight in Homa Class. The flight itself would be a perfect holiday for me! Nothing beats Iranian hospitality... and food! ;-)

notconcerned

Wed Jul 20, 2016 9:07 am

MH serves Nasi Lemak, SQ serves Laksa, NH/JL serves Washoku dishes, TG serves Panang curry, etc. What might be "local food" for people in one country might be considered "mass catered" for another group of people.

bwest

Wed Jul 20, 2016 9:20 am

777klm wrote:

Not only do they serve Belgian fries, Brussels Airlines also works together with top Belgian chefs to create their long haul business class menu, quite often with a Belgian touch. On their flights I have come across typical dishes like carbonnades Flamandes, Brussels sprouts, or endives with shrimps. And then there's the beers. Next to the standard Stella Artois, Leffe and the likes, every month a lesser known Belgian beer gets selected as beer of the month.

bwest

Wed Jul 20, 2016 9:21 am

persiangulf93 wrote:

That looks amazing! Would love to taste!

777klm

Mon Jul 25, 2016 9:11 am

sirdanilot wrote:
KLM doesn't serve any to my knowledge, but having a lowly pea soup or mashed potatoes with cabbage (the epitomes of Dutch cuisine) would be a bit lackluster for business class I suppose. And wine hardly grows here so no possibility for local wines either. Most 'local' thing they sell will be the beers such as Heineken (which albeit local, being produced about 5 kms from where I currently live, can be bought anywhere inthe world anyway).

Find this thread interesting though. Flying in Y I always seem to get the same old generic meals. Some dry pasta and chicken+rice as options. Of course variety will be a bit better in J but still I find it interesting t see which airlines sell local food/dishes.

Well, they always serve cheese with their bread rolls. Also the meals in J are created by Dutch top chefs.

I remember way back in 2000 I was on a flight from AMS to NCE and they served traditional Dutch herring (with pickles and raw onion). Although I love herring, the smell of the fish and the onions in the cabin was unbearable...
Home airport: AMS
Next flight: CNX - BKK

Lofty

Mon Jul 25, 2016 9:18 am

Jet Time have:
On flights from Denmark, we purchase meat products from the famous butcher at Kultorvet in Copenhagen, bread from Il Fornaio - the Italian stone-oven bakery, and butter, cheese and yogurt from a organic dairy.

Lofty

Mon Jul 25, 2016 9:24 am

Also just had a look on BA.com they have:
Herefordshire Beef
Loch Fyne Salmon
Wiltshire Pork
Cornish Clotted Cream
Cumberland Sausages
Cheddar Cheese

Cipango

Mon Jul 25, 2016 9:46 am

Cathay Pacific serve dishes created by top chefs from Hong Kong restaurants and hotels. They are primarily served in F/J but they appear on Y menus now and then.

--

Aer Lingus' short-haul Buy-On-Board menu was created by an Irish chef (Clodagh McKenna) and she uses local produce for the ingredients for most of the items on the menu. It's a very good BoB offering!
Let's fly! Unless it's on a CRJ 200, then I'll stay down here.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos