Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

MaRoFu
Topic Author

Emirates possible future U.S. destinations?

Sun Jul 17, 2016 10:33 pm

Any guesses on where else in the United States Emirates will start flying?

My guesses are:

Atlanta (Delta cancelled ATL-DXB flights, although Delta still may have sour feelings about Emirates coming into their largest hub)
Miami (Only Qatar flies there, so... [but American might complain])
Newark (New Jersey has the highest demand for traffic heading to India, in which India is Emirates' largest connecting market, not to mention there is a huge Arab/Turkish community in Paterson that is probably yearning to have nonstop flights to the Middle East from the much closer Newark Airport.)
Airports I have been to:
DFW, EWR, IAH, JFK, LAS, LGA, MCO, MIA, NRT, ORD, PHL, PHX, SEA, SLC, YTZ, YYZ

787fan8

Re: Emirates possible future U.S. destinations?

Sun Jul 17, 2016 10:35 pm

From most likely to least likely: ATL, MIA, DTW, EWR, PHL, LAS, DEN, PHX, MSP, SJC
Atlanta is an incredibly cool city - Andrew Lincoln

Future Auburn graduate

MaRoFu
Topic Author

Sun Jul 17, 2016 10:36 pm

I've heard that Philadelphia has been announced as a new destination by Emirates (no exact date)
Airports I have been to:

enilria

Sun Jul 17, 2016 10:39 pm

IMHO it would be dumb for them to do ATL on top of QR and probably TK. The market just isn't big enough. EWR is smarter than PHL.

dubaiamman243

Sun Jul 17, 2016 10:43 pm

I would say Philadelphia, Atlanta, Indianapolis, Miami and Detroit.
The next airline CEO :crossfingers:

MaRoFu
Topic Author

Sun Jul 17, 2016 10:44 pm

enilria wrote:
EWR is smarter than PHL.

I don't get why Emirates didn't choose EWR over PHL... Oh wait, Ras Baraka thinks that if Emirates flew to EWR, the city's economy would fall... How ridiculous... Slots have been freed up at EWr anyways, and the beast that is United lost a ton of money due to it. Always a good thing, because United can charge more than an International Airline but offer a worse product... What great business strategies... Not.
Airports I have been to:

Viscount724

Sun Jul 17, 2016 11:03 pm

MaRoFu wrote:
Any guesses on where else in the United States Emirates will start flying?

My guesses are:

Atlanta (Delta cancelled ATL-DXB flights, although Delta still may have sour feelings about Emirates coming into their largest hub)
Miami (Only Qatar flies there, so... [but American might complain])
Newark (New Jersey has the highest demand for traffic heading to India, in which India is Emirates' largest connecting market, not to mention there is a huge Arab/Turkish community in Paterson that is probably yearning to have nonstop flights to the Middle East from the much closer Newark Airport.)

EK already serves ATL but cargo only.They've been operating a couple of 777F freighters a week to ATL since April 2014. They stop at FRA westbound and CPH eastbound. I think it was once a week when it started but appears to be twice a week now.

usairways85

Sun Jul 17, 2016 11:52 pm

MaRoFu wrote:
I've heard that Philadelphia has been announced as a new destination by Emirates (no exact date)

I'm pretty sure the only talk about PHL is the standard "EK has been in talks with the airport." Something that a number of airports in the US can claim.

Miami

Mon Jul 18, 2016 12:34 am

My guess would be EWR, DTW, and MIA/FLL (most likely MIA)

PHL, I don't see because QR is struggling. And ATL has enough with QR and TK, IMO.
Aviation is proof that given, the will, we have the capacity to achieve the impossible. - Eddie Rickenbacker

enilria

Mon Jul 18, 2016 1:13 am

MaRoFu wrote:
enilria wrote:
EWR is smarter than PHL.

I don't get why Emirates didn't choose EWR over PHL... Oh wait, Ras Baraka thinks that if Emirates flew to EWR, the city's economy would fall... How ridiculous... Slots have been freed up at EWr anyways, and the beast that is United lost a ton of money due to it. Always a good thing, because United can charge more than an International Airline but offer a worse product... What great business strategies... Not.

When was PHL announced?

lavalampluva

Mon Jul 18, 2016 11:09 am

In no particular order

ATL
MIA
MSP
PHL
Remind me to send a thank you note to Mr. Boeing.

wedgetail737

Mon Jul 18, 2016 1:22 pm

enilria wrote:
IMHO it would be dumb for them to do ATL on top of QR and probably TK. The market just isn't big enough. EWR is smarter than PHL.

Didn't the FAA suspend TK from flying to the United States for the time-being? With TK out of the picture and the unrest in Turkey, this might situation might advantageous to the ME3 carriers.

flymco753

Mon Jul 18, 2016 1:37 pm

I'm not going to guess with this thread, I'm going to give a legitimate possibility, Detroit. The Detroit area has the largest number of middle eastern people in the USA with such a lack of flights to the Middle East. Most are predominantly Lebanese, Syrian and Iraqi, BUT there's still a sizable population from the gulf states. Not to mention over 250 passengers daily travel between Detroit and India, you could easily fill a 77L to DXB. Over all options I believe that EK is the best option for Detroit.
...the carriage of liquids, gels, and aerosols are prohibited through the screening checkpoint except for travel size toiletries of 3 ounces or less...

yowza

Mon Jul 18, 2016 1:43 pm

dubaiamman243 wrote:

Errr. Indianapolis? Care to explain that one? I don't think anything more exotic than AC is seen down there.

YOWza

dubaiamman243

Mon Jul 18, 2016 1:55 pm

flymco753 wrote:
I'm not going to guess with this thread, I'm going to give a legitimate possibility, Detroit. The Detroit area has the largest number of middle eastern people in the USA with such a lack of flights to the Middle East. Most are predominantly Lebanese, Syrian and Iraqi, BUT there's still a sizable population from the gulf states. Not to mention over 250 passengers daily travel between Detroit and India, you could easily fill a 77L to DXB. Over all options I believe that EK is the best option for Detroit.

Detroit has RJ

dubaiamman243

Mon Jul 18, 2016 1:56 pm

yowza wrote:
dubaiamman243 wrote:

Errr. Indianapolis? Care to explain that one? I don't think anything more exotic than AC is seen down there.

YOWza

Ops! I meant Minneapolis :D

OslPhlWasChi

Mon Jul 18, 2016 1:57 pm

usairways85 wrote:
MaRoFu wrote:

I'm pretty sure the only talk about PHL is the standard "EK has been in talks with the airport." Something that a number of airports in the US can claim.

You are probably correct that there is no real evidence of PHL beyond "EK has been in talks with the airport" which always made it curious why about a year ago anna.aero published a leaked route of Emirates on DXB-PHL. Don't know much about them but are they not particularly credible? Maybe something was going to launch but something changed? Some other scenario? Article is here: http://www.anna.aero/2015/07/08/leak-we ... ly-philly/

FLIHGH

Mon Jul 18, 2016 1:57 pm

From what I've heard, JetBlue's BOS-DTW-BOS have a good number of Emirates connections, as well.

jfk777

Mon Jul 18, 2016 2:22 pm

Miami is the obvious missing American city for Emirates. Atlanta would only be to challenge Delta. Qatar and Turkish have also announced or launched flights to ATL, is there really that much demand to that part of the world from ATL ? ATL seems like this huge market but more a huge amount has to be Delta's hub there. The ME3 must be counting on DL feed to make Atlanta work for them.

dfwjim1

Mon Jul 18, 2016 3:15 pm

dubaiamman243 wrote:
yowza wrote:
dubaiamman243 wrote:

YOWza

Ops! I meant Minneapolis :D

Minneapolis as a EK destination ?1?

2travel2know2

Mon Jul 18, 2016 4:17 pm

EWR
BWI

MIA
DTW
MSP
DEN
I'm not on CM's payroll.

allegiantflyer

Mon Jul 18, 2016 4:36 pm

I could Imagine a PHX-DEN-DXB type services where they pick up more passengers at lower yielding destionations

BoeingGuy

Mon Jul 18, 2016 6:32 pm

Amazingly, no-one has said PDX yet. I can see that before some of the others mentioned.

aviationjunky

Mon Jul 18, 2016 7:38 pm

LAS DTW MSP PHX SLC DEN PHL
LAS is Life

directorguy

Mon Jul 18, 2016 8:19 pm

The ME3 are running out of cities in the US that they can fly to on dedicated, terminator services. A large number of these destinations can't really support 2 ME3 carriers in town, let alone 3.
Some potential routes:
EK DXB-AUS
DXB-CLT
DXB-SAN
DXB-SJC
DXB-DUB/BHX/MAN-HNL

ANA787

Mon Jul 18, 2016 8:32 pm

[*]
BoeingGuy wrote:
Amazingly, no-one has said PDX yet. I can see that before some of the others mentioned.

Way before some of the mentioned. DEN? Really? What partnership/Alliance going to feed DEN-DXB? DEN is a star alliance hub. Last time I checked EK was not in the star alliance. At least at PDX they would get plenty of feed from partner AS.

thekorean

Mon Jul 18, 2016 8:34 pm

Probably a city very few people here think of. AUS?

MCO was a surprise. At least for me. So I'd venture something like that. I would have said SAN if the airport wasn't so physically limited.

MaxxFlyer

Mon Jul 18, 2016 8:49 pm

allegiantflyer wrote:
I could Imagine a PHX-DEN-DXB type services where they pick up more passengers at lower yielding destionations

Emirates really seems to avoid tags, unless there's a range issue. EK is not just going to fly to every city just because people want them to. Maybe 3-5 larger airports and I think they are done in the U.S.

Atlwarrior

Mon Jul 18, 2016 9:40 pm

Atlanta because Alpharetta in the northern suburbs of the city has a growing population from India. They also love to fly as most of my early morning Uber pax are from India and talk about how flying Turkish and Qatar airlines saves so much time. I don't see that changing if Emirate was to start Atlanta service. I think people forget that Atlanta is one of the five US cites with an Embassy for India.

klm617

Mon Jul 18, 2016 11:06 pm

As much as I'd like to see DTW added I think the window of opportunity for DTW to get an ME3 is pretty much closed. The only carrier that mentioned DTW was QR and that was a while back when they said they were adding BOS, ATL,LAX and DTW they have now added the others and passed over DTW to add LAS so I think DTW is pretty much dead as a destination for the ME3.
the truth does matter, guys. too bad it's often quite subjective. the truth is beyond the mere facts and figures. it's beyond good and bad, right and wrong...

dfwjim1

Mon Jul 18, 2016 11:38 pm

My vote is for MIA with a 777 to start with.

flyPIT

Mon Jul 18, 2016 11:50 pm

thekorean wrote:

MCO was a surprise. At least for me. So I'd venture something like that. I would have said SAN if the airport wasn't so physically limited.

Exactly. ANY healthy mid sized or greater city is fair game for EK. They stimulate their market. Just a couple years ago people were shocked they added SEA; now it is double daily and there are threads about when it will get an A-380. The Emirates Affect is the new Southwest Effect. AUS, RDU, MSP, PDX, DEN, and a handful of others are all fair game within the next 5 years.
FLYi

thekorean

Mon Jul 18, 2016 11:52 pm

flyPIT wrote:
thekorean wrote:

Exactly. ANY healthy mid sized or greater city is fair game for EK. They stimulate their market. Just a couple years ago people were shocked they added SEA; now it is double daily and there are threads about when it will get an A-380. The Emirates Affect is the new Southwest Effect. AUS, RDU, MSP, PDX, DEN, and a handful of others are all fair game within the next 5 years.

Austin is thriving with young people right now, and it is a great city. Think tech industry there will allow EK to feed on India traffic?

BoeingGuy

Tue Jul 19, 2016 12:01 am

ANA787 wrote:
[*]
BoeingGuy wrote:

Way before some of the mentioned. DEN? Really? What partnership/Alliance going to feed DEN-DXB? DEN is a star alliance hub. Last time I checked EK was not in the star alliance. At least at PDX they would get plenty of feed from partner AS.

Not sure you understood my comment. I was surprised that no-one had suggested PDX as a viable EK destination. I said nothing about DEN. I'm fully aware of the EK/AS partnership.

nmraja

Tue Jul 19, 2016 12:02 am

Though I would love to see a PDX-DXB from EK, I doubt it will materialize. PDX may be able to sustain the A330s, but wouldn't the A330s range be a little off for this distance? If there can be a load penalty, this might be a good option. Lot of people going to/from India from/to PDX currently use SEA connection.
Raja.

MaxxFlyer

Tue Jul 19, 2016 12:12 am

flyPIT wrote:
thekorean wrote:

Seems the general thought about SEA being double daily is belly cargo. I expect Boeing ships a lot of 777 parts to Dubai. SEA has no where to park a 380 without taking out an international gate, which they need more of. The 2nd flight might go to a 77W.

doug_or

Tue Jul 19, 2016 1:11 am

nmraja wrote:
Though I would love to see a PDX-DXB from EK, I doubt it will materialize. PDX may be able to sustain the A330s, but wouldn't the A330s range be a little off for this distance? If there can be a load penalty, this might be a good option. Lot of people going to/from India from/to PDX currently use SEA connection.

PDX-DXB is over 6,500NM (longer than SEA-BKK would be), not even the HGTW versions could do it and I think Emirates is getting rid of their 330s anyway. The PDX market is a fraction the size of SEA, and my impression was that the loads and yields on SEA were both lacking. While Alaska could provide feed in PDX, it wouldn't add any significant new sources of feed not available through SEA. Then again, its Emirates. Who knows.
When in doubt, one B pump off

Ytraveller

Tue Jul 19, 2016 1:23 am

doug_or wrote:
The PDX market is a fraction the size of SEA, and my impression was that the loads and yields on SEA were both lacking.

EK started a second daily flight on SEA-DXB so that can't be the case.

flymco753

Wed Jul 20, 2016 4:03 am

dubaiamman243 wrote:
flymco753 wrote:

Detroit has RJ

...okay? The largest Arab american and one of the largest Indian populations and they deserve twice weekly summer nonstops? DTW deserves more than that.
...the carriage of liquids, gels, and aerosols are prohibited through the screening checkpoint except for travel size toiletries of 3 ounces or less...

flymco753

Wed Jul 20, 2016 4:04 am

klm617 wrote:
As much as I'd like to see DTW added I think the window of opportunity for DTW to get an ME3 is pretty much closed. The only carrier that mentioned DTW was QR and that was a while back when they said they were adding BOS, ATL,LAX and DTW they have now added the others and passed over DTW to add LAS so I think DTW is pretty much dead as a destination for the ME3.

You bet it is, DTW deserves more than what they have and the garbage that they've been handed.

DolphinAir747

Wed Jul 20, 2016 3:50 pm

flymco753 wrote:
dubaiamman243 wrote:
flymco753 wrote:

Detroit has RJ

...okay? The largest Arab american and one of the largest Indian populations and they deserve twice weekly summer nonstops? DTW deserves more than that.

Most of the DTW Arab population is from the Levant (Syria, Palestine, Jordan, Lebanon etc.) so flying DTW-DXB-BEY would be a huge detour versus going via CDG (42% versus 0% detour, as per gcmap). In addition given that many Arabs in DTW aren't recent immigrants and what's happening in places like Syria now, I can't imagine that the travel demand is that large. DTW has to be very far down EK's list of potential routes.

klm617

Wed Jul 20, 2016 4:23 pm

DolphinAir747 wrote:
flymco753 wrote:
dubaiamman243 wrote:

Detroit has RJ

Most of the DTW Arab population is from the Levant (Syria, Palestine, Jordan, Lebanon etc.) so flying DTW-DXB-BEY would be a huge detour versus going via CDG (42% versus 0% detour, as per gcmap). In addition given that many Arabs in DTW aren't recent immigrants and what's happening in places like Syria now, I can't imagine that the travel demand is that large. DTW has to be very far down EK's list of potential routes.

Are you kidding me Arabic people are immigrating to the Detroit area daily. Most of the migrant population is from within the last 10 years and are very price conscious so we lose a lot of these passenger to YYZ A flight from the ME3 to Detroit would cater to the Indian and Bangladeshi immigrates that live in the Detroit which there are many. So the travel habits of the Detroit passengers that travel to the middle east would have very little to do with weather a ME3 carrier adds Detroit of not. Which by the way I think is very unlikely at this point because of the lack of aggressiveness by the WCAA to more flight options for DTW because of the fear of backlash from their main tenant Delta.
the truth does matter, guys. too bad it's often quite subjective. the truth is beyond the mere facts and figures. it's beyond good and bad, right and wrong...

Cipango

Wed Jul 20, 2016 4:26 pm

nmraja wrote:

EK would never send the A330's to the US either way.
Let's fly! Unless it's on a CRJ 200, then I'll stay down here.

gregn21

Wed Jul 20, 2016 4:31 pm

DXB-ATL
DXB-SJC
DXB-MIA
DXB-PHL
DXB-SAN
DXB-DTW
DXB-LAS
DXB-CLT
DXB-BKK-SFO/LAX
DXB-LHR-JFK
DXB-MAN-LAX
DXB-HNL/DXB-XYZ-HNL
DXB-HND-PHL (To solve everbody's PHL-Asia issues)

mict

Wed Jul 20, 2016 4:38 pm

DolphinAir747 wrote:
flymco753 wrote:
dubaiamman243 wrote:

Detroit has RJ

DTW would be a nice addition to the TK network!

izbtmnhd

Wed Jul 20, 2016 5:09 pm

2travel2know2 wrote:
EWR
BWI

MIA
DTW
MSP
DEN

Emirates is never ever coming to BWI. Only 1x daily A380 now at IAD. Lots of room to expand there.

flyPIT wrote:
thekorean wrote:

SEA is way larger than AUS, RDU, PDX and DEN. They still don't serve much larger markets like MIA, PHL, ATL and DTW and are only a single daily out of WAS. MCO is like LAS. It punches over it's weight due to tourism.

flymco753

Wed Jul 20, 2016 7:26 pm

[/quote]
DTW would be a nice addition to the TK network![/quote]

It would but with the issues going on right now it's not feasible. I'd rather RJ just maintain year round 5x weekly or daily nonstops but of course that won't happen according to RJ.

fsafsx

Wed Jul 20, 2016 9:59 pm

Emirates should add flint to dubai that can take away detroit passengers.

acentauri

Sat Jul 23, 2016 12:50 am

Miami wrote:

PHL, I don't see because QR is struggling. And ATL has enough with QR and TK, IMO.

If PHL's "struggling" - which is your theory, this surely doesn't support the route's demise:
http://www.routesonline.com/news/38/air ... perations/

Miami

Sat Jul 23, 2016 3:49 am

acentauri wrote:
Miami wrote:

If PHL's "struggling" - which is your theory, this surely doesn't support the route's demise:
http://www.routesonline.com/news/38/air ... perations/

PHL is by far QR's worst performing US route. It's no secret.
Aviation is proof that given, the will, we have the capacity to achieve the impossible. - Eddie Rickenbacker

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos