Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

KTPAFlyer
Topic Author

Jetbridge incident with Inagural A380 at 'O Hare

Wed Jul 20, 2016 1:54 am

Appears that the jetway has scraped Emirates' A380 at the inaugural 'O Hare flight for the super jumbo. Damage appears minor, but the return may be cancelled. This must be very embarrassing for them, much like how ARFF scraped the wingtip of the inagural 787 down here in Tampa. I can imagine that somebody will be fired over this PR distaster!

Source:

http://onemileatatime.boardingarea.com/ ... -a380-ord/

admanager

Re: Jetbridge incident with Inagural A380 at 'O Hare

Wed Jul 20, 2016 2:28 am

From the thread title I was afraid Delta was using the gate EK expected to use and we would be dealing with another international incident. Hopefully no significant impact.

reltney

Wed Jul 20, 2016 4:23 am

Good point! Too bad Delta did not have the gate... Making them push up air stairs would have been a hoot! However, ramming the plane seems to do the job!
Knives don't kill people. People with knives kill people.
OUTLAW KNIVES.

I am a pilot, therefore I envy no one...

Qatara340

Wed Jul 20, 2016 4:31 am

This is the second "embarassing" situation involving inaugurals, A380's, and ME3 carriers. Hmmm.....
لا اله الا الله محمد رسول الله

jreuschl

Wed Jul 20, 2016 5:15 am

http://flightaware.com/live/flight/UAE2 ... /KORD/OMDB

Looks like it is headed back fine with a delay.

clrd4t8koff

Wed Jul 20, 2016 8:57 am

KTPAFlyer wrote:
Appears that the jetway has scraped Emirates' A380 at the inaugural 'O Hare flight for the super jumbo. Damage appears minor, but the return may be cancelled. This must be very embarrassing for them, much like how ARFF scraped the wingtip of the inagural 787 down here in Tampa. I can imagine that somebody will be fired over this PR distaster!

Source:

Who is operating the 787 to Tampa?

dubaiamman243

Wed Jul 20, 2016 10:26 am

The aircraft is currently enroute back to DXB
The next airline CEO :crossfingers:

727LOVER

Wed Jul 20, 2016 12:30 pm

clrd4t8koff wrote:
KTPAFlyer wrote:

Source:

Who is operating the 787 to Tampa?

He's talking about this JAL charter a few years ago.
http://www.jetphotos.net/photo/7840909
"We must accept finite disappointment, but never lose infinite hope." - Martin Luther King, Jr.

CARST

Wed Jul 20, 2016 1:19 pm

I heard from various sources that the jetbridge was operated by a new guy. Some Mexican immigrant, who just started working on the ramp. The name was something like Ricardo Anderson...

zeke

Wed Jul 20, 2016 1:27 pm

Makes ORD looks like a gateway for a third world country when you see how many A380 movements a small single runway airport like AKL.
Human rights lawyers are "ambulance chasers of the very worst kind.'" - Sky News

KrustyTheKlown

Wed Jul 20, 2016 4:29 pm

CARST wrote:
I heard from various sources that the jetbridge was operated by a new guy. Some Mexican immigrant, who just started working on the ramp. The name was something like Ricardo Anderson...

I know that guy, he makes decent enough tacos but they taste more of ATL than of MEX.

vv701

Wed Jul 20, 2016 4:59 pm

Amazing. When BA took delivery of their first 380 and before it entered service it visited BA's Maintenance Base at CWL for a planned five hours of ground handling trials and training. It was then flown CWL-STN for similar trials and training at a possible LHR diversionary airport. Similar programmes were implemented the following day at SNN (where a photo opportunity of the BA 380 nose-to-nose with a 319 operating LCY-SNN-JFK was created). From SNN the 380 was flown to another possible diversionary airport, LGW, for further local trials and training. Then that evening (30 July 2013) it was flown to LHR to enter commercial service,

Obviously holding such trials and training cannot be carried out at all airports that the 380 is scheduled to visit let alone all those to which it might it might divert. However if KARST is right about who operated the jetbridge at ORD it is not his but his management's head that should roll. Leaving the operation of the bridge to a new and inexperienced operator for the first visit of any type, let alone the Whale Jet, is hardly a resounding endorsement of management's responsibilities.

Polot

Wed Jul 20, 2016 5:27 pm

vv701 wrote:
Obviously holding such trials and training cannot be carried out at all airports that the 380 is scheduled to visit let alone all those to which it might it might divert. However if KARST is right about who operated the jetbridge at ORD it is not his but his management's head that should roll. Leaving the operation of the bridge to a new and inexperienced operator for the first visit of any type, let alone the Whale Jet, is hardly a resounding endorsement of management's responsibilities.

CARST was making a joke. Look at the name of the "Mexican immigrant" who "operated the jetbridge." Look up the name of DL's former CEO, current Executive Director of the BoD, and outspoken ME3 critic.

ScottB

Wed Jul 20, 2016 6:31 pm

KrustyTheKlown wrote:
CARST wrote:

I know that guy, he makes decent enough tacos but they taste more of ATL than of MEX.

They'd be more likely to taste of HOU or GLS given his background...

usxguy

Wed Jul 20, 2016 6:58 pm

still not sure I'd trust Ricardo Anderson's salsa...
xx

dopplerd

Wed Jul 20, 2016 8:42 pm

Does this video capture the moment the damage occurred at 0:25?

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/ct-a ... video.html

airzim

Wed Jul 20, 2016 9:13 pm

zeke wrote:
Makes ORD looks like a gateway for a third world country when you see how many A380 movements a small single runway airport like AKL.

This seems like a desperate attempt to discredit anything that makes an Airbus look bad. Your bias is well known but this is a big stretch.

Please tell me how in anyway is AKL similar to ORD. AKL has 1 runway, with a custom built A380 terminal with maybe 420 movements a day.

Ohare has something like 8 crisscrossing runways, with legacy infrastructure, narrow taxiways and close to 2700 movements a day.

Not even close to being a fair comparison.

vhtje

Wed Jul 20, 2016 9:46 pm

airzim wrote:
zeke wrote:

This seems like a desperate attempt to discredit anything that makes an Airbus look bad. Your bias is well known but this is a big stretch.

Please tell me how in anyway is AKL similar to ORD. AKL has 1 runway, with a custom built A380 terminal with maybe 420 movements a day.

Ohare has something like 8 crisscrossing runways, with legacy infrastructure, narrow taxiways and close to 2700 movements a day.

Not even close to being a fair comparison.

I do not think that was quite called for. I think Zeke was pointing out how incredible and amazing it is that ORD - for all its size, complexity and vast passenger numbers - is only just seeing, now, its first scheduled A380 service. Where as good old AKL, with its smaller capacity, fewer movements and fewer passengers - has been seeing regular A380 services for years.

Which is indeed a remarkable fact when you think about it, and it has heck of a lot more to do with market forces, government regulations and passenger travel patterns than any A vs B bias.
I only turn left when boarding aircraft. Well, mostly. All right, sometimes. OH OKAY - rarely.

coolian2

Wed Jul 20, 2016 11:40 pm

AKL has a custom built A380 terminal? Where?
Q300/ATR72-600/737-200/-300/-400/-700/-800/A320/767-200/-300/757-200/777-300ER/
747-200/-300/-400/ER/A340-300/A380-800/MD-83/-88/CRJ-700/-900

zeke

Thu Jul 21, 2016 12:17 am

The rest of the world continually get condescending remarks on how everything is bigger and better in the USA. When push comes to shove a single A380 movement could not be executed without causing issues. The A380 is not exactly a new aircraft type anymore, it has been in commercial service now for around 9 years.

Before the extension to Pier B, AKL could handle a single A380 on stand 10 on the southern side of the international terminal. Prior to the international terminal upgrade AKL operated on an exemption basis whereby incoming/outgoing pax used to mix, that all stopped after 9/11. The security related upgrades to the terminal cost around 50 million kiwi.

The extension to Pier B opened I think in 2009 the same year EK started operating the A380 to AKL, to date four airlines that I know of EK, SQ, CZ, and QF have operated A380s into AKL. The A380 upgrades including the Pier B to AKL cost around 27 million kiwi. The Pier B stands are also used for other aircraft types. Pllans are in place to expand pier B even more to add further gate capacity to the airport.

AKL has a 30 year master plan to grow their airport, the extension to pier B is part of the plan. They have plans for more terminal expansion extending pier B even further with additional fingers and a new parallel runway located to the north.

The difference with ORD and AKL is AKL has a 30 year master plan they are executing and are seeing massive inflows to the national economy as a result. This is not "just A380" works, they are even contemplating handling an aircraft twice the size of the A380 in the future.

https://www.aucklandairport.co.nz/downl ... erplan.pdf
Human rights lawyers are "ambulance chasers of the very worst kind.'" - Sky News

airzim

Thu Jul 21, 2016 1:16 am

zeke wrote:
The rest of the world continually get condescending remarks on how everything is bigger and better in the USA. When push comes to shove a single A380 movement could not be executed without causing issues. The A380 is not exactly a new aircraft type anymore, it has been in commercial service now for around 9 years.

Before the extension to Pier B, AKL could handle a single A380 on stand 10 on the southern side of the international terminal. Prior to the international terminal upgrade AKL operated on an exemption basis whereby incoming/outgoing pax used to mix, that all stopped after 9/11. The security related upgrades to the terminal cost around 50 million kiwi.

The extension to Pier B opened I think in 2009 the same year EK started operating the A380 to AKL, to date four airlines that I know of EK, SQ, CZ, and QF have operated A380s into AKL. The A380 upgrades including the Pier B to AKL cost around 27 million kiwi. The Pier B stands are also used for other aircraft types. Pllans are in place to expand pier B even more to add further gate capacity to the airport.

AKL has a 30 year master plan to grow their airport, the extension to pier B is part of the plan. They have plans for more terminal expansion extending pier B even further with additional fingers and a new parallel runway located to the north.

The difference with ORD and AKL is AKL has a 30 year master plan they are executing and are seeing massive inflows to the national economy as a result. This is not "just A380" works, they are even contemplating handling an aircraft twice the size of the A380 in the future.

https://www.aucklandairport.co.nz/downl ... erplan.pdf

Your novella is all very interesting but in no way explains how ORD is 3rd world (whatever that means). AKL (while a lovely airport) is tiny in both size and movements. Handling an A380 in AKL is not nearly as taxing to the infrastructure as it is in ORD.

It's not just about terminal space, it's taxiways, spacing, congestion, and demand.

I'm particularly intrigued by your rant about the US condensing attitude to the rest of the world. Is that a voice in your head because I don't see that being brought up anywhere in this thread except by you.

The A380 is by most accounts an abject failure, where 80% of all frames to be delivered will be to 1 company. For an airport to spend the millions to accommodate potentially one aircraft type from one airline once a day could be construed as a misuse of funds and wasteful spending. But I'm intrigued by your fantasy plane that's twice the size of the A380. Can't wait to see that paper airplane.

However, while you tout AKLs capital plan, ORD has also announced its own initiative to expand and modernize the airport, with one of the goals to accommodate A380 aircraft. But given such trivial nuances such as being a hub for 2 major carriers, 3000 operations a day, massive cargo hub, constrained on all side by highways and residential development, and having to deal with local feedback and regulations, I think it's safe to say Ohare is moving beyond your perceived third world moniker.

Cubsrule

Thu Jul 21, 2016 2:22 am

zeke wrote:

You seem to have forgotten that ORD has built three new runways in the past decade. For how long has AKL been trying to build a single new runway?
I can't decide whether I miss the tulip or the bowling shoe more

LamboAston

Thu Jul 21, 2016 3:25 am

ORD has announced an initiative, AKL has put it into place, getting up to 5 daily A380 flights (4 EK, 1 SQ in summer), and ORD is getting it's first, and struggling. The EK flights trans tasman have had quite a high load factor regularly. With a relatively small airport like Auckland being able to accomodate 5 daily A380 flights and ORD struggling with it's first one, and it is hard to see why. Unless you think about the fact that Atlanta, the airport with the largest amount of passengers globally (including domestic, Dubai is international top) has one A380 gate. That was occupied by an A320. That is how well the US airports work.
AS350, B733/4/7/8, B744/8, B762/3, B77E/L/W, B789, A319, A320, A321, A332, A346, A380, AT73/5/6, Q300, Q400, CR2/7, E190, S340, B1900C/D, E110 (E for epic)
NZ, EK, QF, SQ, UA, US, CO, FZ, FR, U2, BA, VA, VS, MH, EI, EY, LH, EN, NM, TG, GZ

Revelation

Thu Jul 21, 2016 3:43 am

LamboAston wrote:
ORD has announced an initiative, AKL has put it into place, getting up to 5 daily A380 flights (4 EK, 1 SQ in summer), and ORD is getting it's first, and struggling.

One of the largest airline hubs in the world manages to prioritize and build A380 facilities for a tiny number of movements for relatively small tenants whilst all other kinds of projects are going on. One airplane gets SCRAPED and this airport is said to be STRUGGLING? HA HA HA HA!

LamboAston wrote:
The EK flights trans tasman have had quite a high load factor regularly. With a relatively small airport like Auckland being able to accomodate 5 daily A380 flights and ORD struggling with it's first one, and it is hard to see why.

Main airport of small island nation "at the edge of the world" in terms of world airline networks finds they need to service the world's largest airplane to get airlines to justify flying there is applauded for handling FIVE daily flights. Hurrah!

LamboAston wrote:
Unless you think about the fact that Atlanta, the airport with the largest amount of passengers globally (including domestic, Dubai is international top) has one A380 gate. That was occupied by an A320. That is how well the US airports work.

When you think of the fact that an international allegedly high-caliber airline failed to file a request for a gate by the well known deadline and was told they would not be able to use said gate yet still chose to operate the flight then complained mightily about a situation they totally created and were totally able to remedy all by themselves...

zeke wrote:
AKL has a 30 year master plan to grow their airport

I hear people get big consulting fees for contributing to such plans.

Just sayin'...
Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world
The heart has its beaches, its homeland and thoughts of its own
Wake now, discover that you are the song that the morning brings
The heart has its seasons, its evenings and songs of its own

zeke

Thu Jul 21, 2016 3:59 am

Cubsrule wrote:
You seem to have forgotten that ORD has built three new runways in the past decade. For how long has AKL been trying to build a single new runway?

Haven't forgotten at all, that's my point. Everything should have been put in place with that works. Meanwhile T5 the only international terminal has not had any expansion in 23 years.

jcwr56

Thu Jul 21, 2016 10:03 am

dopplerd wrote:
Does this video capture the moment the damage occurred at 0:25?

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/ct-a ... video.html

Yes, it was the metal covering for the retractable canopy that made contact first. It should be noted all the bridges at T5 have this since they were originally installed over 20 years ago and its' the first time this has happened.

Cubsrule

Thu Jul 21, 2016 12:58 pm

zeke wrote:
Haven't forgotten at all, that's my point. Everything should have been put in place with that works. Meanwhile T5 the only international terminal has not had any expansion in 23 years.

Again I am not sure of your point. T-5 was grossly overbuilt. How is that a basis for criticism?

zeke

Thu Jul 21, 2016 1:10 pm

Cubsrule wrote:
Again I am not sure of your point. T-5 was grossly overbuilt. How is that a basis for criticism?

How silly of me, of course it is "grossly overbuilt" and needs no improvement.

That is why they are spending $300 million to expand it by 25% to add 9 gates. :shock:

Cubsrule

Thu Jul 21, 2016 1:24 pm

zeke wrote:
How silly of me, of course it is "grossly overbuilt" and needs no improvement.

That is why they are spending $300 million to expand it by 25% to add 9 gates. :shock:

They are expanding the terminal because it needs expansion today. Your post implied that it needed--and did not get--expansion in the past.

mjoelnir

Thu Jul 21, 2016 1:37 pm

Revelation wrote:
When you think of the fact that an international allegedly high-caliber airline failed to file a request for a gate by the well known deadline and was told they would not be able to use said gate yet still chose to operate the flight then complained mightily about a situation they totally created and were totally able to remedy all by themselves....

You seem still to be arguing that a 60 days requirement of declaring a change of frame for a certain flight is reasonable, you must be joking. If you could show me this requirement on any other airport, or for Atlanta for any other type of frame but A380...

Cubsrule

Thu Jul 21, 2016 3:05 pm

mjoelnir wrote:
You seem still to be arguing that a 60 days requirement of declaring a change of frame for a certain flight is reasonable, you must be joking. If you could show me this requirement on any other airport, or for Atlanta for any other type of frame but A380...

What is the typical notice period when an airline wants to bring an aircraft that does not fit in its normally-assigned gate?

United787

Thu Jul 21, 2016 6:48 pm

Not sure how to quote people on the new site but this was from Zeke:

"Meanwhile T5 the only international terminal has not had any expansion in 23 years."

It would have been silly to expand any of the terminals/concourses and add gates because the previous runway configuration has been maxed out. The city needed to fix the runway capacity issue before even touching the terminals. So, 11+ years ago, ORD put a plan together, the Modernization Plan, and immediately starting implementing it. With 3 new runways complete and 1 new runway to go, the plan is well underway. This also includes significant amount of land acquisition, demolition of entire neighborhoods, relocation of a cemetery, acres of new taxiways, extension of two existing runways, removal of two runways, rerouting of a creek, two new control towers, a new fire station (I think), relocation of cargo facilities etc etc etc. This project has been the single largest runway reconfiguration project for any airport, anytime, anywhere, period (please let me know if there has been one bigger) - likely to be north of $9,000,000,000 when all said and done.

Now that most of the Modernization Plan is complete, the capacity issue has shifted to the terminals/concourse, finally announced last week.

Zeke, you make it sound like ORD is a backwater that hasn't and isn't doing anything to upgrade when the opposite is true. That could be said about a lot of the airports in the US, especially on the east coast where they don't have the real estate to expand and/or they don't have the political clout to get anything done... that is far from the case here. Chicago does a lot of things wrong, this isn't one of them.

Thankfully, airports aren't judged by the quantity of A380 movements. ORD could support numerous A380 movements if the demand was there. Most of the A380 users at ORD have shown to prefer frequency.

Revelation

Thu Jul 21, 2016 7:35 pm

mjoelnir wrote:
Revelation wrote:
When you think of the fact that an international allegedly high-caliber airline failed to file a request for a gate by the well known deadline and was told they would not be able to use said gate yet still chose to operate the flight then complained mightily about a situation they totally created and were totally able to remedy all by themselves....

The change of frame was accommodated in a perfectly normal and acceptable way, the pax experience was quite similar to the one I had the last time I landed in FRA, a comfy coach was provided that took me right to customs, less walking if I had been dropped at a gate.

mjoelnir

Thu Jul 21, 2016 8:25 pm

Revelation wrote:
mjoelnir wrote:
Revelation wrote:

The change of frame was accommodated in a perfectly normal and acceptable way, the pax experience was quite similar to the one I had the last time I landed in FRA, a comfy coach was provided that took me right to customs, less walking if I had been dropped at a gate.

What in the world has that to do with your post that I was replying to? Change of subject when you have a bad argument? Show me another airport that has a 60 days requirement for changing the frame on a scheduled flight and/or what time frames apply to other type of frames or airlines at Atlanta..

Revelation

Fri Jul 22, 2016 3:22 am

mjoelnir wrote:
Revelation wrote:
mjoelnir wrote:

What in the world has that to do with your post that I was replying to? Change of subject when you have a bad argument? Show me another airport that has a 60 days requirement for changing the frame on a scheduled flight and/or what time frames apply to other type of frames or airlines at Atlanta..

I replied to the your question about if what ATL did was reasonable or not. It's perfectly reasonable. Just because you have a hard on about it all doesn't make it unreasonable. What is unreasonable is your demanding tone. I'm not going to do a survey of world airports for your benefit. The fact is ATL's procedure was known to EK, they were told it wasn't going to change for them, they understood what service would be provided, they chose to operate the flight knowing the service they would get, and that's the service they got.

LamboAston

Sun Jul 31, 2016 12:07 pm

Revelation wrote:
LamboAston wrote:
ORD has announced an initiative, AKL has put it into place, getting up to 5 daily A380 flights (4 EK, 1 SQ in summer), and ORD is getting it's first, and struggling.

One of the largest airline hubs in the world manages to prioritize and build A380 facilities for a tiny number of movements for relatively small tenants whilst all other kinds of projects are going on. One airplane gets SCRAPED and this airport is said to be STRUGGLING? HA HA HA HA!

LamboAston wrote:
The EK flights trans tasman have had quite a high load factor regularly. With a relatively small airport like Auckland being able to accomodate 5 daily A380 flights and ORD struggling with it's first one, and it is hard to see why.

Main airport of small island nation "at the edge of the world" in terms of world airline networks finds they need to service the world's largest airplane to get airlines to justify flying there is applauded for handling FIVE daily flights. Hurrah!

LamboAston wrote:
Unless you think about the fact that Atlanta, the airport with the largest amount of passengers globally (including domestic, Dubai is international top) has one A380 gate. That was occupied by an A320. That is how well the US airports work.

When you think of the fact that an international allegedly high-caliber airline failed to file a request for a gate by the well known deadline and was told they would not be able to use said gate yet still chose to operate the flight then complained mightily about a situation they totally created and were totally able to remedy all by themselves...

zeke wrote:
AKL has a 30 year master plan to grow their airport

I hear people get big consulting fees for contributing to such plans.

Just sayin'...

If Auckland can handle 5 daily A380s, and not have a problem, and Chicago can't handle a single one-off flight without damaging the aircraft, there is something seriously wrong. Also, before the A380s, the same flights were operated by 77Ws and A345s. Since when was Emirates and Singapore Airlines small tenants? If you were the CEO of an airline wanting to make an impression with a new route, you sure would send out your flagship for an inaugural flight, and nothing would stop you from backing down and damaging your reputation. All they did was damage Delta and Atlanta's reputation by showing how they are unable to make a simple change and use an A380 gate for an A380.
AS350, B733/4/7/8, B744/8, B762/3, B77E/L/W, B789, A319, A320, A321, A332, A346, A380, AT73/5/6, Q300, Q400, CR2/7, E190, S340, B1900C/D, E110 (E for epic)
NZ, EK, QF, SQ, UA, US, CO, FZ, FR, U2, BA, VA, VS, MH, EI, EY, LH, EN, NM, TG, GZ

Beatyair

Sun Jul 31, 2016 3:28 pm

Only a flesh wound! Get some touch up paint and all is good. You would think Chicago would have there best operator on this one.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos