Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

LeCoqFrancais
Topic Author

Air Canada strands passengers at Manchester for 48 hours

Sun Jul 24, 2016 5:27 pm

Air Canada has confirmed that the passengers stranded in Manchester for two days are now en route to Toronto.
The airline says it will be in touch with the affected customers for a full refund.
The flight to Toronto was scheduled to leave Friday, but Air Canada had said as many as 197 passengers would have to wait until Sunday before taking off.
In an email to The Canadian Press, Air Canada spokeswoman Isabelle Arthur says the airline apologizes for the extended delay and “we are sorry we’ve let our customers down.”
Canada’s largest airline was taking heat from the stranded passengers over the weekend.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/f ... -1.3692898
--
Sadly I can't say I am surprised, Air Canada -just like Air Transat- are -in my opinion- not the best in customer relations and customer satisfaction.
Sébastien C. Tourillon

AWACSooner

Re: Air Canada strands passengers at Manchester for 48 hours

Sun Jul 24, 2016 5:30 pm

Just curious, how hard would it have been to bus them to BHX or even LHR and re-accommodate them on the other AC flights?

LeCoqFrancais
Topic Author

Sun Jul 24, 2016 5:34 pm

AWACSooner wrote:
Just curious, how hard would it have been to bus them to BHX or even LHR and re-accommodate them on the other AC flights?

Does Air Canada serve BHX?
Also, I believe service to Manchester is done by Rouge and not Mainline Air Canada, so that could explain part of the reason why Birmingham and London were not options?
Sébastien C. Tourillon

ACDC8

Sun Jul 24, 2016 5:48 pm

And the AC bashing continues. AC can delays one flight - the passengers are traumatized for life and makes front page news. WS cancels multiple flights over weeks, stranding a heck of a lot more passengers than AC, WS staff unable to cope with the delays and stranded pax and still, WS can do no wrong - not a peep in the media until weeks after where a little blurb was written.
A Grumpy German Is A Sauerkraut

LeCoqFrancais
Topic Author

Sun Jul 24, 2016 5:55 pm

ACDC8 wrote:
And the AC bashing continues. AC can delays one flight - the passengers are traumatized for life and makes front page news. WS cancels multiple flights over weeks, stranding a heck of a lot more passengers than AC, WS staff unable to cope with the delays and stranded pax and still, WS can do no wrong - not a peep in the media until weeks after where a little blurb was written.

The reason media and people complain more about Air Canada then about WestJet is because you kinda expect problems and poor service from an LCC, where as you expect goof service, good customer relations and good customer service from a legacy airline like Air Canada. If Air Canada was not a full service airline then things would be different as the general public would not have the same expectancies. At the end the problem Air Canada is that, more often then not, they offer LCC quality service at Legacy price.
Sébastien C. Tourillon

rutankrd

Sun Jul 24, 2016 5:55 pm

During July mainline has been operating the Toronto- Manchester service

This flight was a mainline and not a Rouge service and involved a broken C-FCAB.

Right now the UK-YYZ routes are all pretty much FULL out of the UK and both mainline and rouge fleets are pretty stretched.

Almost certainly not even a spare seat out of Heathrow available.

For your information
Air Canada currently operate 4 daily LHR-YYZ
Rouge daily LGW-YYZ
Rouge 4 weekly EDI-YYZ
Rouge 3 weekly GLA-YYZ

Whilst MAN-YYZ is 5 weekly operated by Mainline in July but reverts to Rouge through August to seasons end

Birmingham has just one weekly flight to Toronto by Air Transat !

by738

Sun Jul 24, 2016 6:43 pm

Theres been plenty of available seats ex LHR all weekend, as Ive been needing to check for myself.

8herveg

Sun Jul 24, 2016 6:49 pm

rutankrd wrote:

This flight was a mainline and not a Rouge service and involved a broken C-FCAB.

Right now the UK-YYZ routes are all pretty much FULL out of the UK and both mainline and rouge fleets are pretty stretched.

For your information
Rouge daily LGW-YYZ
Rouge 4 weekly EDI-YYZ
Rouge 3 weekly GLA-YYZ

Whilst MAN-YYZ is 5 weekly operated by Mainline in July but reverts to Rouge through August to seasons end

Slightly off topic, but I'm surprised AC Rouge don't serve BHX either. Surely there is more demand than a 1 x weekly service by Air Transat to YYZ?

rutankrd

Sun Jul 24, 2016 6:50 pm

by738 wrote:
Theres been plenty of available seats ex LHR all weekend, as Ive been needing to check for myself.

As has been pointed out previously online seat checking is NOT an accurate measure when the flight closes at the airport !

It can be very unrepresentative especially in premium cabins where fully flexible ticket holders may not close the reservation till the last hour or so !
Last edited by rutankrd on Sun Jul 24, 2016 6:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rutankrd

Sun Jul 24, 2016 6:53 pm

8herveg wrote:
rutankrd wrote:

For your information
Rouge daily LGW-YYZ
Rouge 4 weekly EDI-YYZ
Rouge 3 weekly GLA-YYZ

Slightly off topic, but I'm surprised AC Rouge don't serve BHX either. Surely there is more demand than a 1 x weekly service by Air Transat to YYZ?

Apparently not it seems as the service has been a one weekly seasonal for several years and at the moment remain so for summer 2017 .

b747400erf

Sun Jul 24, 2016 7:53 pm

A few weeks ago Westjet had a similar story of delays, and people there said AC didn't have these issues. I guess they were wrong.

cabochris

Sun Jul 24, 2016 8:22 pm

b747400erf wrote:
A few weeks ago Westjet had a similar story of delays, and people there said AC didn't have these issues. I guess they were wrong.

Apples and Oranges..

WJA's issues were ongoing and lasting for quite some time longer than 48 hours and involved more than just one aircraft..

WJA 767 ops as I understand are now caught up and on sched. Omni Air is now or will be flying sched, and not HOT, while WJA pulls each 767 for a B Check essentially to solve those issues you read about in the news.

ACA had a perfect storm this week with their Rouge 767s. I was told 5 or more were AOG internationally at one time altogether Friday. Now, imagine if WJA's four 767 all went AOG internationally all at once. What news show we would see then! ;)

Happy flying.

LeCoqFrancais
Topic Author

Sun Jul 24, 2016 8:24 pm

b747400erf wrote:

Every airline will have the same issues more or less as they are all in the same field of operation.
Sébastien C. Tourillon

by738

Sun Jul 24, 2016 8:27 pm

rutankrd wrote:
by738 wrote:

As has been pointed out previously online seat checking is NOT an accurate measure when the flight closes at the airport !

It can be very unrepresentative especially in premium cabins where fully flexible ticket holders may not close the reservation till the last hour or so !

Come come now. Its a clear indicator that the flights are/were not full and seats were available to book at that point. The reason it may have been full would have been school holidays who do not book fully flex premium cabins. GDS access helps also ;)

Whiteguy

Sun Jul 24, 2016 8:56 pm

cabochris wrote:
b747400erf wrote:

Apples and Oranges..

WJA's issues were ongoing and lasting for quite some time longer than 48 hours and involved more than just one aircraft..

WJA 767 ops as I understand are now caught up and on sched. Omni Air is now or will be flying sched, and not HOT, while WJA pulls each 767 for a B Check essentially to solve those issues you read about in the news.

ACA had a perfect storm this week with their Rouge 767s. I was told 5 or more were AOG internationally at one time altogether Friday. Now, imagine if WJA's four 767 all went AOG internationally all at once. What news show we would see then! ;)

Happy flying.

Omni is gone and has been for a while as far as I can tell....since LGW started there have actually only been 4 or 5 flights canceled. Yes there were flight delays and plenty of OTP issues but people got to where they needed to be. Although they had to buy a sandwich and watch an overhead tv, first world I guess...

cabochris

Sun Jul 24, 2016 9:30 pm

"Rich People" problems... I know. But we still need functional toilets at 35,000ft... and I will take a two day extended holiday, and the compensation, than dealing with overflowing poopers or only one flushing for 8 hours, any day, but that is just me.

Transport Canada only approved Omni to sub for WJA until June 4th, then extended it to the 18th.. not sure if it was extended again or if a new order has been applied for.. but Omni will be back soon, and finish off the summer season as WJA rolls each of their 767s through B check, a lot of MELs to be fixed.

Westjet is making money on the Atlantic crossings, but the costs are adding up. WJA needs to add more 767s by next summer IMHO.

Whiteguy

Sun Jul 24, 2016 9:37 pm

cabochris wrote:
"Rich People" problems... I know. But we still need functional toilets at 35,000ft... and I will take a two day extended holiday, and the compensation, than dealing with overflowing poopers or only one flushing for 8 hours, any day, but that is just me.

Transport Canada only approved Omni to sub for WJA until June 4th, then extended it to the 18th.. not sure if it was extended again or if a new order has been applied for.. but Omni will be back soon, and finish off the summer season as WJA rolls each of their 767s through B check, a lot of MELs to be fixed.

Westjet is making money on the Atlantic crossings, but the costs are adding up. WJA needs to add more 767s by next summer IMHO.

I'm not sure Omni is coming back, they were extended into July but have been gone for a awhile now. The aircraft have been in the hanger most evenings having work done but I have also seen them parked out on the east pad by the new terminal or outside the hanger which makes me think the work getting done on them is less and less...

No new aircraft will be added until a new MOA has been negotiated with the pilots, which is in the process now.....

Beatyair

Sun Jul 24, 2016 10:39 pm

They could not have take a bigger plane to Heathrow and diverted to Manchester and picked a few up. With the amount of planes going back snd forth, you would think this could happen.

LeCoqFrancais
Topic Author

Mon Jul 25, 2016 12:03 am

Beatyair wrote:
They could not have take a bigger plane to Heathrow and diverted to Manchester and picked a few up. With the amount of planes going back snd forth, you would think this could happen.

Air Canada already flies there biggest plane to Heatrow, they do not have anything bigger so if the London flights are full they can't send anything bigger to pick extra passengers up. This is where an Airbus A380-841 or even a Boeing 747-8i would have been usefull ;)
Sébastien C. Tourillon

cornishsimon

Mon Jul 25, 2016 12:10 am

lets be honest here, these things happen, and they happen all the time with all airlines all over the world

the issue with the AC tech issue at MAN is the response by AC and the problem solving.

If AC had wanted to shift passengers off the cancelled service they could of, MAN is well connected to other major european airports, LHR, DUB etc, yes it would of taken work, yes it would of involved rebooking onto other airlines

but if they are getting bad press hey ho, they have weighed up the options and decided to hotel the passengers at MAN and delay 48 hours, s**t happens!

cs

ACCS300

Mon Jul 25, 2016 12:58 am

LeCoqFrancais wrote:
Beatyair wrote:

Air Canada already flies there biggest plane to Heatrow, they do not have anything bigger so if the London flights are full they can't send anything bigger to pick extra passengers up. This is where an Airbus A380-841 or even a Boeing 747-8i would have been usefull ;)

AC's HD 777-330ER's already pack-in 450 pax, no sure how much more useful a 747-8i would be. Irrelevant regardless.

Viscount724

Mon Jul 25, 2016 2:08 am

rutankrd wrote:

C-FCAB is AC's oldest current aircraft, age 28, originally CP's first 763 delivered April 15, 1988. All of AC's remaining mainline (non-Rouge) 763s are now ex-CP.

LeCoqFrancais
Topic Author

Mon Jul 25, 2016 10:57 am

ACCS300 wrote:
LeCoqFrancais wrote:
Beatyair wrote:

AC's HD 777-330ER's already pack-in 450 pax, no sure how much more useful a 747-8i would be. Irrelevant regardless.

Oh, I'm pretty sure Air Canada could find a way to fit some 500~600 seats on a 747-8i... :lol:
Sébastien C. Tourillon

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos