Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

wnflyguy
Topic Author

WN August 4 schedule release predictions.

Mon Jul 25, 2016 4:48 pm

WN next schedule release is coming soon.
So it's time again for rumors,speculation and predictions.

This release I see international flying from LAX being released for sale.
CUBA service will be released for sale.
Some new FLL flying like FLL-LGA, FLL-PWM and RIC-FLL.

Rumor has it WN will also add 2 Daily LGB-DEN flights.
This is all part of a deal WN traded 3 DCA slots with B6 for 5 LGB slots. Yes this sounds far fetched but WN plans to Double Down on California because of AS/VX merger.
And B6 could do better with 3 DCA slots vs 5 low revenue slots at LGB.

FAT and STS are rumored to actually be on the short list with possible 4 daily flights 2 LAX and 2 LAS.

LAX rumors
LAX-MEX
Taking away one slot away from HOU-MEX.
LAX-TPA
LAX-MCO
LAX-FLL
LAX-CMH
LAX-IAD

Other rumors
BOS-ISP
BOS-LAS

STL-ISP
STL-RIC
STL-PWM

MSP-LAS

Again this is all good clean fun arm chair network planning!

Flyguy
My Wings are clipped just another Retired Airline person. The Ultimate Armchair out of the loop airline industry geek. Aloha Mr Hand!

steex

Re: WN August 4 schedule release predictions.

Mon Jul 25, 2016 5:02 pm

wnflyguy wrote:
STL-ISP
STL-RIC
STL-PWM

I can't see any chance of these markets happening. Any east coast market where WN hasn't seen an opportunity for year-round MDW service is not ripe for STL barring some specific ties, which none of these have.

enilria

Mon Jul 25, 2016 5:08 pm

Have the early speculated routes ever happened as predicted?

Once again I think no station closures, but I think whenever the September 2017 schedule loads we will have the greatest chance for that.

I doubt the gates in LAX allow much net expansion.

wnflyguy wrote:
This is all part of a deal WN traded 3 DCA slots with B6 for 5 LGB slots.

We saw a reduction in flying at DCA/LGA in the latest OAG update. Is this story a fact or speculation? If true, #1 B6 got the much better end of that deal. #2 B6 is exiting LGB. If that's just a rumor then I think we will see the DCA/LGA slots go to an existing station without DCA/LGA, but that will be for sale in the existing schedule window.

Is this the schedule load where Altea handles the bookings exclusively? I'm thinking it is still 60 days away or more. They said "Fall".

Italianflyer

Mon Jul 25, 2016 6:00 pm

For selfish reasons I'd love to see STL-SDF return after falling victim to 100+ p/bbl oil. It's a do-able drive but harsh for day trips and STL is much more 'customer friendly' for westward connections than MDW (just my .02).

lavalampluva

Mon Jul 25, 2016 6:07 pm

I'm surprised that they haven't started MSP-DAL. That was a route DL was planning until the whole gate screw up at DAL.
Remind me to send a thank you note to Mr. Boeing.

aaflyer777

Mon Jul 25, 2016 6:18 pm

I can see BOS-LAS but BOS-ISP?

AWACSooner

Mon Jul 25, 2016 6:28 pm

OKC-BNA would be a nice add to break up the duopoly of DL/AA in the southeastern market from OKC.

AVLAirlineFreq

Mon Jul 25, 2016 6:50 pm

wnflyguy wrote:

...STS are rumored to actually be on the short list with possible 4 daily flights 2 LAX and 2 LAS.

Flyguy

Despite the increased activity there in recent years, I would think the natives would go bat#&%$ crazy at the thought of this.

Vctony

Mon Jul 25, 2016 6:52 pm

Any chance of international service out of PHX?

SteveXC500

Mon Jul 25, 2016 7:06 pm

Rumor the last couple of rounds also included MSP-BNA.

Again, MSP is opening 4 additional gates this fall. Expected that SY will take H1-H7. WN will take H8-H12 (increase of 1) and the last gate remains to be seen.

Would love to see LAS added as wnflyguy mentions is rumored.

As for MSP-DAL, also was rumored when WN gained the authority to go beyond the WA perimeters, but never came true. Not holding my breath much anymore with WN and the "rumors" for MSP.

ANA787

Mon Jul 25, 2016 7:59 pm

PDX - BNA

usflyguy

Mon Jul 25, 2016 8:32 pm

wnflyguy wrote:

FAT and STS are rumored to actually be on the short list with possible 4 daily flights 2 LAX and 2 LAS.

LAX rumors
LAX-MEX
LAX-TPA
LAX-MCO
LAX-FLL
LAX-CMH
LAX-IAD

Other rumors
BOS-ISP
BOS-LAS

STL-ISP
STL-RIC
STL-PWM

MSP-LAS

Flyguy

Unless cuts are made at LAX, nothing is going to be added right now. The number of gates have been reduced permanently and the ones remaining are not all in service due to construction.

Those STL routes are not happening. MDW-RIC, maybe.

BOS-ISP?! No. RSW-MCO and FLL-MCO would come back first. FLL-MCO may actually be returning soon.

PSP would come before STS.
My post is my ideas and my opinions only, I do not represent the ideas or opinions of anyone else or company.

winginit

Mon Jul 25, 2016 8:36 pm

wnflyguy wrote:
This is all part of a deal WN traded 3 DCA slots with B6 for 5 LGB slots. Yes this sounds far fetched but WN plans to Double Down on California because of AS/VX merger.

Are they not camping on those B6 slots with the 3x daily LASLGB service? I'd be surprised if DEN proves a more effective means of maintaining those slots but you never know.

fun2fly

Mon Jul 25, 2016 9:29 pm

F9 and NK both dropped CLE>DFW so the door is open for WN to move on CLE>DAL with only AA on the route now.

enilria

Mon Jul 25, 2016 9:36 pm

fun2fly wrote:
F9 and NK both dropped CLE>DFW so the door is open for WN to move on CLE>DAL with only AA on the route now.

My intuition tells me that it won't work well for WN and I think they know that. It's hard to explain why, but outside the perimeter DAL only seems to be doing well to markets where WN is very strong. CLE is not one of those markets.

fun2fly

Mon Jul 25, 2016 9:48 pm

enilria wrote:
fun2fly wrote:

My intuition tells me that it won't work well for WN and I think they know that. It's hard to explain why, but outside the perimeter DAL only seems to be doing well to markets where WN is very strong. CLE is not one of those markets.

Not even for the connections on the INTL side? The CLE thread notes 611 PDEW so it's a strong route that supported UA and AA for many years.

ERJ170

Mon Jul 25, 2016 9:51 pm

I'm going to say.. For RDU.. No new routes.. Maybe restoration of some.. Probably some decreases... The LUV in Raleigh seems to be drying out
Aiming High and going far..

carljanderson

Mon Jul 25, 2016 10:01 pm

wnflyguy wrote:

Can they do that? I thought the slots go back to the City for allocation.

maximairways

Mon Jul 25, 2016 10:03 pm

Could we see BUF-DEN come back year round? According to this article it was mentioned as possible to come back after its test period.

Also, mentioned the new B6 BUF-LAX route was doing better than expected, maybe WN will respond with some west coast route?

klm617

Mon Jul 25, 2016 10:27 pm

Hoping for some more FNT additions so that they can bring the Flint flying back up to par with the service AirTran offered there. Any word on how the FNT-MDW flights are doing.
the truth does matter, guys. too bad it's often quite subjective. the truth is beyond the mere facts and figures. it's beyond good and bad, right and wrong...

MaxxFlyer

Mon Jul 25, 2016 10:37 pm

fun2fly wrote:
enilria wrote:
fun2fly wrote:

Not even for the connections on the INTL side? The CLE thread notes 611 PDEW so it's a strong route that supported UA and AA for many years.

What international connections? There aren't any on either side. DAL can't have any and CLE is highly unlikely (aside AC to YYZ).

phluser

Mon Jul 25, 2016 10:38 pm

fun2fly wrote:
enilria wrote:
fun2fly wrote:

There are no international connections through DAL. Maybe WN could try DAL-CLE if it replaces some other city. I'm not sure how well WN does on DAL-PHL with AA having a much superior schedule out of DFW, granted it's hub-hub. WN's flight gets into PHL after 3:30pm, while AA has 3 flights from DFW that get into PHL before 1pm, and a 4th one before 3pm.

SurfandSnow

Mon Jul 25, 2016 11:56 pm

wnflyguy wrote:

The new U.S.-Mexico bilateral finally goes into effect on August 21st, which is very good news for WN! Don't forget that they have already applied for OAK-PVR/SJD too.

wnflyguy wrote:

It seems that WN is waiting to get final approval for HAV flights before any service to Cuba goes on sale.

wnflyguy wrote:

Construction of FLL's FIS-equipped Concourse A is scheduled to be completed in the second quarter of 2017, so we can certainly expect to see quite a few new flights at FLL next year. However, even then I highly doubt we will see WN add nonstop service to PWM (a market with a terrible track record when it comes to Florida) or RIC (B6 already has that one covered). PWM and RIC just aren't that important to South Florida FFers or a source of much feed for international flights. NYC, on the other hand, will probably have to be added for the sake of local fliers as well as the international flights. I figured WN would simply go for EWR-FLL, so as not to cannibalize ISP-FLL, but then again WN is no stranger to serving several metropolitan area airports from the exact same place (I can't imagine EWR/ISP/LGA-FLL is that much different from, say, OAK/SFO/SJC-LAS). It will be very interesting to see what WN is willing to do domestically from FLL as they establish a major international gateway there. In addition to LGA, I think nonstop service to BOS, CLT, EWR, IAD, LAX and OAK could really boost WN's appeal in the South Florida market and help fill the new international flights...

wnflyguy wrote:

I suppose giving up highly coveted DCA slots and doubling down on notoriously poor yielding LGB is one way to send a message to AS. Then again, AS is also about to have some perimeter-restricted DCA slots that it does not know what to do with, so maybe WN is just trying to dump its excess DCA slots before AS does.

wnflyguy wrote:

Now STS, that would really send a strong message to AS! Along the same lines, WN could look into PSP. However, I think both are extremely unlikely given their accessibility from existing WN stations. We all know WN has long had a knack for getting people to drive quite a ways to and from their flights!

FAT is an interesting suggestion. It is one of the largest U.S. markets without WN service, and unlike other such markets (i.e. GSO, MDT) it is actually quite far from any of the places they do serve. Call me crazy, but something like 2x daily LAS/1x daily PHX might just work.

wnflyguy wrote:
LAX rumors
LAX-MEX
LAX-TPA
LAX-MCO
LAX-FLL
LAX-CMH
LAX-IAD

LAX-MEX would probably happen from SNA-MEX, not HOU-MEX. The other suggestions are all plausible, and let's not forget about the continued lack of nonstop LAX-SEA service! Perhaps LAX-SEA will (finally) be added in conjunction with the LAX-CUN/PVR/SJD flights. Might not be a bad time to consider a resumption of LAX-PHL either - beat AS to the punch on that route.

wnflyguy wrote:
Other rumors
BOS-ISP
BOS-LAS

STL-ISP
STL-RIC
STL-PWM

MSP-LAS

None of those sound even remotely plausible except for BOS/MSP-LAS. If WN really is doubling down on California, I think we could see quite a bit more out of OAK - EWR, MCO, perhaps even DTW, FLL, IND, MSP, PIT, and/or SAT. There's also routes like BUR-MDW, ONT-DAL, SJC-HOU and SNA-BNA that I could see doing well.
Flying in the middle seat of coach is much better than not flying at all!

OzarkD9S

Tue Jul 26, 2016 12:09 am

wnflyguy wrote:

STL-ISP
STL-RIC
STL-PWM

Flyguy

Alas, even as an STL booster I don't see those happening. I would see STL-BDL before those, though RIC could use some more LUV and STL had RIC service during the TWA hub days, plus RIC could use some better connections to the WN network. With AA and UA operating ORD-RIC, STL might be possible since there would be no competition vs. Chicago and some MDW cities have been moved to STL (DSM/ICT) so it wouldn't surprise me.

My personal wish list for WN out of STL would be:

BDL
PVD
BUR
CUN
MEX
PVR
ONT

But STL is one of those markets that seem to gain a few, lose a few with WN but who knows? Those 2 new gates on D won't sit idle for too long.
Next up: STL DEN PSP DEN STL

lakeeffect

Tue Jul 26, 2016 12:19 am

fun2fly wrote:
enilria wrote:
fun2fly wrote:

That's both ways combined, so it's roughly 300 pax each way in the winter. WN hasn't really been chasing leisure traffic from CLE like the ULCC carriers, so a single DAL flight might be something they'd try to lure more business pax in CLE. But with DAL's gate constraints they'd have to drop something elsewhere to add CLE.

But there is the mystery of why WN picked up an extra gate at CLE this summer? Are they planning on adding a few new routes during the next year or just want the flexibility of 5 gates for a ~15 flights a day operation?

WN has slowly started connecting the dots at CLE with STL, PHX, and DEN added in the past couple years, but WN's ~14% market share in CLE is relatively weak compared to the rest of their Midwest stations. B6, NK, and F9 collectively grabbed a ton of routes immediately after UA dehubbed, it seems WN already missed their chance at CLE.

tomaheath

Tue Jul 26, 2016 12:43 am

Where's MHT-DEN? There were talks about this before.

whatusaid

Tue Jul 26, 2016 12:54 am

wnflyguy wrote:

Flyguy

FAT won't happen just yet. The 17 million dollar west ramp construction has taken two AS gates and one G4 gate out of service until 2017 and I'd expect there will be another gate shuffle come November when AS starts the E175s. It's going to be tight upstairs for some time. FAT has $300K incentives before WN, but I would expect DEN and maybe PHX over low yield LAX and LAS. I'd expect more AS expansion at FAT before we see WN.

DeltaRules

Tue Jul 26, 2016 4:01 am

LAX-CMH already has DL (739) and AA (319) on it daily. I wonder if there's enough there for a third in the market- WN's been good to CMH in recent years.
A310/319/320/321/333, ARJ, BN2, B717/722/73S/733/734/735/73G/738/739/744/757/753/767/763/764/777, CR1/2/7/9, DH6, 328, EM2/ERJ/E70/E75/E90, F28/100, J31, L10/12/15, DC9/D93/D94/D95/M80/M88/M90/D10, SF3, SST

flymco753

Tue Jul 26, 2016 4:30 am

I can see WN adding full time DTW from MCO or even HOU to DTW.
...the carriage of liquids, gels, and aerosols are prohibited through the screening checkpoint except for travel size toiletries of 3 ounces or less...

Mexicana757

Tue Jul 26, 2016 4:30 am

wnflyguy wrote:
LAX-MEX

Flyguy

I would like to see that slot used for MDW-MEX instead. For LAX-MEX they should use the SNA-MEX slot.

Here hoping they open up one these routes in this upcoming extension;
MDW-MEX
MDW-PVR
MDW-SJD
MDW-LIR/SJO Saturday seasonal

PlanesNTrains

Tue Jul 26, 2016 5:00 am

wnflyguy wrote:

LAX rumors
LAX-MEX
LAX-TPA
LAX-MCO
LAX-FLL
LAX-CMH
LAX-IAD

Other rumors
BOS-ISP
BOS-LAS

STL-ISP
STL-RIC
STL-PWM

MSP-LAS

Flyguy

Just so i'm reading all of this in the correct context, when you say that WN is "rumored" to be looking at FAT and STS with flights to LAX and LAS, that is an actual rumor that you have heard from someone that might actually have inside info? Or is it a "rumor" that someone is making up as speculation? I don't mean that rudely, but you mention armchair route planning so I just want to be clear.

Thanks,
-Dave

MAX’d out on MAX threads. If you are starting a thread, and it’s about the MAX - stop. There’s already a thread that covers it.

icebird757

Tue Jul 26, 2016 12:35 pm

wnflyguy wrote:

No way this is going to happen. B6 wouldn't trade any LGB slots away, let alone to WN.
I kick chocks

pwm2txlhopper

Tue Jul 26, 2016 2:36 pm

WNflyguy,

Southwest has been at PWM for over three years since they started PWM-BWI. The only additions they've made are to add a fourth daily flight to BWI, and a 1x per week seasonal to MCO and MDW.

If they can't even expand service to MDW, I'm doubtful there will be anything to STL. I'm hopeful for FLL, but won't keep my fingers crossed.

enilria

Tue Jul 26, 2016 3:15 pm

IMHO, now that NK has announced CAK to 5 cities, WN has to leave CAK. They will get demolished there. The only question is when, and if they will take the opportunity to close other poor stations at the same time. I think it goes in September 2016.

wnflyguy
Topic Author

Tue Jul 26, 2016 3:24 pm

Well B6 has said it plans to fully use all its 9 vacant LGB slots by January 2017.
So this kill the LGB/DCA slot swap rumor.
Also kills WN LGB-LAS connection.
May be WN could use those 3 DCA slots to add 3 DCA-BOS flights.
J
With MEX/USA Bilateral agreement finally signed into law. WN can now adding more Mexico flying point to point vs domestic point to point connections next year.

With regards to FAT and STS rumored service it's just that a Rumor.
I don't expect you will ever see it happen.
But I also never expected LGB to ever happen either.

I don't expect to see ANY new international cities until at least 4th quarter 2018.

Again I have no insider information what so ever!
This is just per speculation,predictions and Rumors among fellow Airline Nerds and Arm chair CEO's/Network planners all in good clean fun.
WN is always a guessing game or a WTF head scratcher.

Lastly I see WN adding first ever RED-EYE flying for summer 2017 with this reservation period under the new Aleta domestic Res system.

Flyguy
My Wings are clipped just another Retired Airline person. The Ultimate Armchair out of the loop airline industry geek. Aloha Mr Hand!

chrisnh

Tue Jul 26, 2016 3:44 pm

I wish MHT wasn't sliding so much down the other side of the mountain. This coming winter WN will have fewer flights at MHT than they started with in 1998. Most egregious to me is the lack of east-west flying from MHT. They once ran MHT-PHX and MHT-LAS which are ideal for those of us who need to reach the west coast for business in the winter. Ideally, you'd like a warm-weather city to connect at because you have no weather issues to deal with. Your chances of reaching places like SNA, LAX, SEA, SJC etc. are much better connecting at LAS/PHX than at MDW during the harsh winter months.

tomaheath

Tue Jul 26, 2016 5:05 pm

chrisnh wrote:
I wish MHT wasn't sliding so much down the other side of the mountain. This coming winter WN will have fewer flights at MHT than they started with in 1998. Most egregious to me is the lack of east-west flying from MHT. They once ran MHT-PHX and MHT-LAS which are ideal for those of us who need to reach the west coast for business in the winter. Ideally, you'd like a warm-weather city to connect at because you have no weather issues to deal with. Your chances of reaching places like SNA, LAX, SEA, SJC etc. are much better connecting at LAS/PHX than at MDW during the harsh winter months.

Do you think once the MAX comes we could see more of these longer flights return?

flyiguy

Wed Jul 27, 2016 7:02 am

As far as the DCA slots, WN can't trade slots...they could be subleased to B6 but not traded...They would go back to the DOT and auctioned off. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

FLY
The opinions I post are of mine and mine alone, not of the airline I work for.

wnflyguy
Topic Author

Wed Jul 27, 2016 1:37 pm

This morning I'm hearing DCA 3 slots adding only one new market.

Flyguy

usflyguy

Wed Jul 27, 2016 3:58 pm

PIT-DCA, PIT-LGA, and CMH-LGA.

or

RDU-DCA/LGA
My post is my ideas and my opinions only, I do not represent the ideas or opinions of anyone else or company.

rajincajun01

Wed Jul 27, 2016 4:09 pm

usflyguy wrote:

or

RDU-DCA/LGA

WN will not add RDU to either of those. Way too much competition. DL is adding DCA to fight AA and LGA already has 3 airlines serving it.
A319 A320 A321 A330 B1900 B717 B727 B737 B757 B767 B777 B787 C172 C402 CR2 CR7 CRJ9 DH8 E120 ERJ135 ERJ145 E170/175/190 L1011 MD80 MD90 SF340

enilria

Wed Jul 27, 2016 4:11 pm

wnflyguy wrote:

usflyguy wrote:

usflyguy wrote:
RDU-DCA/LGA

PIT could be, but DCA-PIT is probably too short to make much sense. Perhaps CLE? RDU makes some sense, but is super-competitive. CVG would work pretty well if they flew there. They should mercy kill CAK and add CVG. BUF?
flyiguy wrote:
As far as the DCA slots, WN can't trade slots...they could be subleased to B6 but not traded...They would go back to the DOT and auctioned off. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
FLY

Pretty sure you are wrong. Only the Air21 and Beyond Perimeter slots cannot be auctioned. The NPRM to provide slot transfer transparency has not been acted upon. They can sell or trade these slots unless they are one of those categories.

czek6

Wed Jul 27, 2016 4:21 pm

My prediction is nothingness. In fact, with FLL international starting in 2017 the big question is what service will be cut to accommodate that growth. Since the WN fleet will be flat through 2017 that won't have any new planes to grow service. Sure, as they swap smaller, old planes out for the bigger, new ones there will be an overall capacity increase but all that means is that some of those routes will see frequency drops since the overall number of planes will be constant. If they add at FLL, they cut somewhere else.

In short, minimal if no 'growth'. A few deck chairs rearranged, but nothing like we've come to expect in Southwest schedule releases.

wnflyguy
Topic Author

Wed Jul 27, 2016 5:06 pm

usflyguy wrote:

or

RDU-DCA/LGA

I heard the PIT-LGA/DCA rumor also.

In addition I've heard 1 daily ISP-DCA

Flyguy

southwest1675

Wed Jul 27, 2016 5:17 pm

MSP-BNA, PDX-BNA would be good additions for both markets.
Herb Kelleher 1931-2019

jbmitt

Wed Jul 27, 2016 5:22 pm

enilria wrote:
wnflyguy wrote:

PIT could be, but DCA-PIT is probably too short to make much sense. Perhaps CLE? RDU makes some sense, but is super-competitive. CVG would work pretty well if they flew there. They should mercy kill CAK and add CVG. BUF?

Could WN eliminate CAK and DAY at once and open CVG? 3 flights a day CVG to MDW (from DAY), 3 flights a day CVG to ATL (from CAK) plus adds to DCA, LGA, maybe BWI, STL, BNA, or DEN?

SteveXC500

Wed Jul 27, 2016 5:36 pm

southwest1675 wrote:
MSP-BNA, PDX-BNA would be good additions for both markets.

Would be nice. Any actual truth behind them?

izbtmnhd

Wed Jul 27, 2016 5:51 pm

jbmitt wrote:
enilria wrote:
wnflyguy wrote:

Could WN eliminate CAK and DAY at once and open CVG? 3 flights a day CVG to MDW (from DAY), 3 flights a day CVG to ATL (from CAK) plus adds to DCA, LGA, maybe BWI, STL, BNA, or DEN?

Are you suggesting the move from CAK to CVG for plane utilization? Because if it's just for serving pax/markets, CVG is about a 3.5-4 hour drive away from CAK and in a completely different market. It would make way more sense to move CAK-ATL to CLE (or even PIT) in this instance.

I second that DCA-PIT may not work because it would be very short flight but who knows.

jbmitt

Wed Jul 27, 2016 5:58 pm

No. I'm suggesting there are 3 RTs per station if DAY and CAK would be closed in favor of CVG. CVG - ATL would be DL hub to hub (being generous) but should be sufficient demand.

TWA302

Wed Jul 27, 2016 6:01 pm

Wishes for my travels out of STL:
STL-CUN (Seasonal)
STL-IAD
STL-PVR (Seasonal)
STL-SLC

Of these I could see the below as front runners for new services:
STL-CUN (Seasonal)
STL-IAD

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos