Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

NichCage
Topic Author

Why does Korean Air fly to Kathmandu (KTM)?

Wed Jul 27, 2016 12:51 am

Could anyone give me some reasons to why Korean Air flies to Kathmandu? It seems like an odd route.

Cointrin330

Re: Why does Korean Air fly to Kathmandu (KTM)?

Wed Jul 27, 2016 1:12 am

Not really. Nepal is a major tourist destination and Kathmandu Airport is of limited size, and can only handle a fairly small number of flights. I believe it has a complicated approach and take off pattern given the altitude. There is money to be made there in tourism and not many airlines fly there. Nepal's airline is small, believe it only has 1 or 2 aircraft.

Rookinla

Wed Jul 27, 2016 2:43 am

In addition to the tourist traffic, there is a substantial amount of traffic generated from USAID and also non-profits that are not government funded. The fares are quite high and KE gets a nice chunk of this business thanks to the DL codeshare through ICN. It's not an odd route at all. More often than not it's sold out.

Freshside3

Wed Jul 27, 2016 3:15 am

Mountain climbers also tend to pay for excess and oversized pieces of equipment, and a lot of them on this route.

BoeingGuy

Wed Jul 27, 2016 4:11 am

Cointrin330 wrote:
Not really. Nepal is a major tourist destination and Kathmandu Airport is of limited size, and can only handle a fairly small number of flights. I believe it has a complicated approach and take off pattern given the altitude. There is money to be made there in tourism and not many airlines fly there. Nepal's airline is small, believe it only has 1 or 2 aircraft.

I take it you are guessing on most accounts. KTM is at 4300 feet, hardly an issue with altitude.

It does have one capacity issue in that you have to back taxi partway down the runway for one direction. Domestic flight do an intersection departure at the end of the taxiway.

Tourism is a factor but there is a lot of population there.

KE is never the cheapest option in my experience. I've bought tickets for SEA-KTM and SEA-RGN in the past few years. KE has the only one stops to each (NH does to RGN but with long or overnight layovers), but they are always like $600 more than the cheapest reasonable schedule on AS/CZ or CI routings. So KE doesn't get my frequent tourism business.

notconcerned

Wed Jul 27, 2016 5:32 am

Cointrin330 wrote:

I believe you might be confusing it with PBH (Paro Airport, Bhutan) which has the complicated approach and limited flights. KTM sees lots of widebodies from TG, D7, TK, etc.

zeke

Wed Jul 27, 2016 5:50 am

BoeingGuy wrote:
I take it you are guessing on most accounts. KTM is at 4300 feet, hardly an issue with altitude.

Its 4390 ft, and with temperatures at times over 30 deg C the density height can be over 8000 ft. The IAF at RATAN for the RNP-AR is at 10500 ft, which can be 16,000 ft density altitude. You can easily have a TAS in excess of 220 kts at that point which makes it very difficult for any modern widebody to descend on a normal profile without accelerating past flap limit speeds.

notconcerned wrote:
I believe you might be confusing it with PBH (Paro Airport, Bhutan) which has the complicated approach and limited flights. KTM sees lots of widebodies from TG, D7, TK, etc.

The RNP-AR approach int KTM requires special operator approval, which includes the requirement for crew conducting the approach to have flown the approach in a simulator beforehand.

https://www.caanepal.org.np/publication ... 0Final.pdf
Human rights lawyers are "ambulance chasers of the very worst kind.'" - Sky News

Atlwarrior

Wed Jul 27, 2016 5:55 am

I flew to Nepal from Atlanta. I had stop in Mumbai and New Delhi for a flight to Nepal. I would definetely take Atlanta to Seoul and then Nepal to avoid getting a India visas just to transfer flight.

VCEflyboy

Wed Jul 27, 2016 6:30 am

is the TK A330 that crash landed still there?

NichCage
Topic Author

Wed Jul 27, 2016 12:39 pm

VCEflyboy wrote:

Thanks for all the responses people, and no the crashed Turkish Airlines A330 has long been removed, too damaged to go back to service. Were talking about TC-JOC here.

ptcflyer

Wed Jul 27, 2016 2:23 pm

NichCage wrote:
VCEflyboy wrote:

Thanks for all the responses people, and no the crashed Turkish Airlines A330 has long been removed, too damaged to go back to service. Were talking about TC-JOC here.

The Turkish Airlines A330 was still there as of June 18. It is located on the opposite side of the airport from the terminal. It has no engines, but appeared to be on landing gears. The logos and markings have been painted over. We landed in KTM back from Lukla via a helicopter. The helicopter pad area is right in front of the damaged A330.

usflyer123

Wed Jul 27, 2016 5:17 pm

its one of their many routes in asia that is highly relying on tourists to asia that connect via ICN.
for most people the sky is the limit. for those who love aviation, the sky is home...

SLCLAXKIXKHH

Wed Jul 27, 2016 6:14 pm

usflyer123 wrote:
its one of their many routes in asia that is highly relying on tourists to asia that connect via ICN.

ICN is in an excellent location to funnel passengers between North America and KTM.
I'm not anti-social. I'm just not user friendly.

United787

Wed Jul 27, 2016 6:36 pm

Was looking at the wiki for KTM and surprised there is no service to PEK and PVG, is that correct?

tjwgrr

Wed Jul 27, 2016 6:49 pm

.....this thread reminds me of a classic tune:

That's why I'm goin to Katmandu
Up to the mountains where I'm going to
If I ever get out of here
That's what I'm gonna do
Direct KNOBS, maintain 2700' until established on the localizer, cleared ILS runway 26 left approach.

NeBaNi

Wed Jul 27, 2016 11:19 pm

Good answers above, but I think the reason has to do with South Korea's Employment Permit System (EPS), where S Korea takes a lot of Nepalese workers. Korea is becoming an important labor destination for Nepalese, similar to the Gulf countries, Malaysia and so on. Working conditions are much better in S Korea than in the Gulf, but of course there is the added challenge of having to learn Korean and pass a language proficiency test.

Korean Air flies ICN-KTM only 2x a week, which isn't very good to capture business-related traffic. But to transport the growing numbers of Nepalese workers who work in S Korea, this route works perfectly.

NichCage
Topic Author

Thu Jul 28, 2016 12:10 am

United787 wrote:
Was looking at the wiki for KTM and surprised there is no service to PEK and PVG, is that correct?

China Eastern operates a one stop service from Shanghai via Kunming to Kathmandu.

Air China flies between Chengdu and Kathmandu, along with service to Lhasa as well. No direct flight to Beijing.

However, China Southern operates an KTM-CAN service.

ptcflyer

Thu Jul 28, 2016 1:36 am

Atlwarrior wrote:
I flew to Nepal from Atlanta. I had stop in Mumbai and New Delhi for a flight to Nepal. I would definetely take Atlanta to Seoul and then Nepal to avoid getting a India visas just to transfer flight.

I flew ATL to KTM in June. Flew Qatar Airlines. Wow! Great airline with the best service imaginable in the premium cabin. The fares are exceptional as well. One stop in DOHA, which is an incredible airport... and you are there. With Qatar, we had a long layover and was able to take advantage of their Stop Over Program, which includes Visa, free hotel, and transportation to/from hotel. Anyone flying to KTM should look into Qatar. They fly into 9 US cities now.

Atlwarrior

Thu Jul 28, 2016 2:14 am

ptcflyer wrote:
Atlwarrior wrote:

I flew ATL to KTM in June. Flew Qatar Airlines. Wow! Great airline with the best service imaginable in the premium cabin. The fares are exceptional as well. One stop in DOHA, which is an incredible airport... and you are there. With Qatar, we had a long layover and was able to take advantage of their Stop Over Program, which includes Visa, free hotel, and transportation to/from hotel. Anyone flying to KTM should look into Qatar. They fly into 9 US cities now.

How was Qatar airline flight load from Atlanta?

b747400erf

Thu Jul 28, 2016 4:57 am

NeBaNi wrote:
Working conditions are much better in S Korea than in the Gulf

Understatement of the year!

LamboAston

Thu Jul 28, 2016 5:31 am

It was hilarious watching an Oman Air B738 land there, then have the large TG B772 taxi past close to us in Domestic. Korean B772 is definitely a preferable aircraft to a lot of the other options, especially FZ. Sorry about being a bit off topic.
AS350, B733/4/7/8, B744/8, B762/3, B77E/L/W, B789, A319, A320, A321, A332, A346, A380, AT73/5/6, Q300, Q400, CR2/7, E190, S340, B1900C/D, E110 (E for epic)
NZ, EK, QF, SQ, UA, US, CO, FZ, FR, U2, BA, VA, VS, MH, EI, EY, LH, EN, NM, TG, GZ

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos