Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

jadedchameleon
Topic Author

Large UA OMA capacity increase

Sun Jul 31, 2016 12:53 pm

I noticed starting in September UA is running 4x mainline, 1x regional (3x 738, 1x A319, 1x E175 on 9/12) on OMA-DEN. This is a huge capacity increase over the 1 or 2 mainline flights (plus 3 crj200/700) UA has ran for years on this route.

Obviously with the the reduction in regional flying, more mainline is expected, but I expected less than this and possibly a reduction in frequency. UA has not fought for share aggressively in OMA in many years, arguably since the late 90s when they had a much larger marketshare.

Are other markets seeing a similar trend? Will it stick?

usflyer123

Re: Large UA OMA capacity increase

Sun Jul 31, 2016 1:39 pm

its nice to see UA frowing in there and they will soon add SFO-OMA. IMO, im pretty sure DEN is one of the best connection airports in the US.
for most people the sky is the limit. for those who love aviation, the sky is home...

IPFreely

Sun Jul 31, 2016 3:34 pm

usflyer123 wrote:
IMO, im pretty sure DEN is one of the best connection airports in the US.

It's the best domestic hub for connecting, by far. Sorry fanboys.

CIDFlyer

Sun Jul 31, 2016 4:11 pm

Wasn't UA OMA's largest carrier at one time? I think they've been eclipsed by Delta and American for sure so it's nice to see UA beefing up. Hopefully the trend continues in other markets

jetmatt777

Sun Jul 31, 2016 4:36 pm

This is more a result of UA growing on the SFO and DEN front. Most markets out of Denver are being upgauged.

UA444

Sun Jul 31, 2016 5:47 pm

There used to be several mainline flights to OMA and many markets like this from ORD/DEN. This is finally going back to how y should be since they're now finally starting to close the Narrowbody defecit they've had for years.

quickmover

Sun Jul 31, 2016 5:52 pm

I remember seeing DC10s on DEN-OMA

sldispatcher

Sun Jul 31, 2016 6:58 pm

IPFreely wrote:

I would second that motion and we only have one flight a day there. The single concourse connection makes it so much nicer. It also serves to break up rather long west of the Mississippi journeys for the traveler. My only beef is with the quite a few single RT's to specific markets that they do domestically which can cause grief with a misconnect. However, structurally, it works wonders in terms of no train rides, etc.

As far as OMA and UAL are concerned, it is good to see them have more capacity on a route. I know capacity is an ugly word in some parts, but not all of us have access to $129 OW fares. I expect to start at $400 RT for basic economy to just about anywhere. Some of us need some airfare relief that might be brought on by a little more capacity.

ScottB

Sun Jul 31, 2016 6:58 pm

CIDFlyer wrote:
Wasn't UA OMA's largest carrier at one time? I think they've been eclipsed by Delta and American for sure so it's nice to see UA beefing up. Hopefully the trend continues in other markets

Yep, back in 2003 and before UA was the largest carrier at OMA. WN passed them in 2004 and has been OMA's largest carrier since then. These days WN, DL, and AA (in that order) are all larger than UA at OMA.

piedmont762

Sun Jul 31, 2016 7:06 pm

Hardly news - united flew 757 on OMA to DEN within the last 5 years

AA737-823

Sun Jul 31, 2016 7:34 pm

IPFreely wrote:
usflyer123 wrote:

I really enjoy connecting at DEN, once I'm there, but the big problem for me at DEN is the TURBULENCE!!!
HATE those mountain approaches.
"Previous aircraft reporting gains and losses of three thousand knots, you're cleared to land one seven left..."

piedmont762

Sun Jul 31, 2016 8:55 pm

AA737-823 wrote:
IPFreely wrote:
usflyer123 wrote:

I really enjoy connecting at DEN, once I'm there, but the big problem for me at DEN is the TURBULENCE!!!
"Previous aircraft reporting gains and losses of three thousand knots, you're cleared to land one seven left..."

You think DEN is bad? Try SLC - every time I've connected there I've been in some nasty chop

quickmover

Sun Jul 31, 2016 9:22 pm

These days WN, DL, and AA (in that order) are all larger than UA at OMA.[/quote]

What are the big DL markets out of OMA? I suspect they might be MSP or DTW (former Northwest).

STT757

Mon Aug 01, 2016 12:23 am

AA737-823 wrote:
IPFreely wrote:
usflyer123 wrote:

Absolutely agree, love the airport (and the town) but that was the worst turbulence I've ever experienced. In 2011 I was flying DEN-EWR on a UA A319, as soon as the wheels left the ground we were experiencing what I described as severe turbulence. I was listening to CH-9, that aircraft had it, and the pilot was relaying to the controllers we were experiencing "mild turbulence". He kept asking for a higher altitude clearance trying to get us above it, the controller was reaching out to flights ahead of us (Midwest/F9 ERJ-190) asking when does it smooth out. I love flying, been that way since I can remember, but I was scared. It didn't help that we were in the last row and can really feel the aircraft yaw.
Eastern Air lines flt # 701, EWR-MCO Boeing 757

jetblastdubai

Mon Aug 01, 2016 3:13 am

piedmont762 wrote:

If UA hadn't purged the majority of the their 757 fleet over the past couple of years they'd still be running them between both DEN and ORD. The market didn't shrink, UA simply retired the lift and thereby gifted a huge amount of traffic to the 3 competitors that are now larger in OMA.

Not exactly sure where UA stands in total number of flights compared to DL/AA but their biggest drawback is the absurd amount of small RJ traffic flying to busy, congested airports clogging up gates and facilities. USAir leaving Terminal B for A when they combined with AA left two gates that are mostly unused next to UA's primary gates. Lots of potential for something.

tilerchin

Mon Aug 01, 2016 3:21 am

piedmont762 wrote:
AA737-823 wrote:
IPFreely wrote:

You think DEN is bad? Try SLC - every time I've connected there I've been in some nasty chop

Well I mean Delta and its turbulence :roll: :roll:

piedmont762

Mon Aug 01, 2016 3:48 am

jetblastdubai wrote:
piedmont762 wrote:

If UA hadn't purged the majority of the their 757 fleet over the past couple of years they'd still be running them between both DEN and ORD. The market didn't shrink, UA simply retired the lift and thereby gifted a huge amount of traffic to the 3 competitors that are now larger in OMA.

Not exactly sure where UA stands in total number of flights compared to DL/AA but their biggest drawback is the absurd amount of small RJ traffic flying to busy, congested airports clogging up gates and facilities. USAir leaving Terminal B for A when they combined with AA left two gates that are mostly unused next to UA's primary gates. Lots of potential for something.

Absolutely - bad move IMHO. Also post merger you saw the Q400 on OMA to DEN replacing 757 which was a mistake

jetblastdubai

Thu Aug 04, 2016 2:46 pm

Meanwhile, WN just announced OMA-HOU. 1 flight a day beginning March 2017.
Not sure if the author didn't do any research or purposely intended to downplay UA's current service but UA offers either 3 or 4 flights per day in the OMA-IAH market and the article refers to a single UA flight.

"Southwest Airlines will begin offering a daily nonstop flight next year between Omaha and Houston’s Hobby Airport, a smaller airport on the south side of the city.

The route will be flown with a Boeing 737 that seats 143 passengers. It will leave Omaha at 10:50 a.m. and land in Houston at 1:15 p.m. The return flight will leave Houston at 5 p.m. and arrive in Omaha at 7:15 p.m.

Southwest didn’t previously fly from Omaha to Houston. United Airlines offers a nonstop flight to Houston’s George Bush Intercontinental Airport, which is the city’s larger airport."

http://www.omaha.com/money/southwest-ai ... 17188.html

a380787

Thu Aug 04, 2016 3:53 pm

jetblastdubai wrote:
Meanwhile, WN just announced OMA-HOU. 1 flight a day beginning March 2017.
Not sure if the author didn't do any research or purposely intended to downplay UA's current service but UA offers either 3 or 4 flights per day in the OMA-IAH market and the article refers to a single UA flight.

So I did a quick scan of what UA's total OMA offering is, using a typical friday (8/19) :

ORD - 5x daily, 4x mainline 1x 2-class E75 (by comparison, DL is 7x MSP-OMA but I see only 3x are mainline)
DEN - 4x daily, 3x mainline 1x 2-class CR7
IAH - 4x daily ERJ
EWR - 2x daily ERJ (by comparison, OMA-NYC is 1x DL, 0x WN, 0x AA)

and coming soon :

SFO - 1x daily E75 (I can't locate any OMA-OAK offering by WN)

jetblastdubai

Thu Aug 04, 2016 4:20 pm

a380787 wrote:
IAH - 4x daily ERJ
EWR - 2x daily ERJ (by comparison, OMA-NYC is 1x DL, 0x WN, 0x AA)

IAH on most days is a combination of E45 and E75 with the occasional 738 on Saturday mornings
EWR is a combination of E45 and E70s normally.

Regardless, the smattering of random RJ service leads to an inconsistent product. It might be an issue with multiple Express carriers trying to coordinate resources but it's still frustrating as a paying pax.

ramprat74

Thu Aug 04, 2016 4:23 pm

Of course they add more mainline after they outsourced the the station. The United employees weren't even given a vote if they wanted to take a pay cut to stay in OMA, most of them would have.

tjwgrr

Thu Aug 04, 2016 4:40 pm

July 1983 OAG shows a 767 to OMA from both DEN and ORD.

http://www.departedflights.com/OMAp1.html
Last edited by tjwgrr on Thu Aug 04, 2016 4:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Direct KNOBS, maintain 2700' until established on the localizer, cleared ILS runway 26 left approach.

SurfandSnow

Thu Aug 04, 2016 4:41 pm

When you consider the fact that UA has significantly upgauged routes like MEM and MSN from DEN, it would be shocking if OMA did not see similar treatment. OMA seems to be a very strong market for everybody these days - especially from the West Coast.
Flying in the middle seat of coach is much better than not flying at all!

piedmont762

Thu Aug 04, 2016 4:48 pm

SurfandSnow wrote:
When you consider the fact that UA has significantly upgauged routes like MEM and MSN from DEN, it would be shocking if OMA did not see similar treatment. OMA seems to be a very strong market for everybody these days - especially from the West Coast.

Probably not enough mainly to go around at the moment. Hence why UA is still pathetically flying ERJ on OMA-EWR

a380787

Thu Aug 04, 2016 4:50 pm

piedmont762 wrote:
SurfandSnow wrote:

Probably not enough mainly to go around at the moment. Hence why UA is still pathetically flying ERJ on OMA-EWR

And yet UA has 200% of the frequencies on NYC-OMA compared to their closest competitor.

rj777

Thu Aug 04, 2016 4:54 pm

quickmover wrote:
I remember seeing DC10s on DEN-OMA

That was until F9 started whining about unfair competition and forced UA to scale it down to 757s.

jetblastdubai

Fri Aug 05, 2016 3:42 am

ramprat74 wrote:
Of course they add more mainline after they outsourced the the station. The United employees weren't even given a vote if they wanted to take a pay cut to stay in OMA, most of them would have.

I don't see the current vendor handling UA's ops in OMA lasting much longer. The ticket agent staff is about as motley-looking and unprofessional as I've ever seen anywhere. Someone must have mentioned this to WHQ at some point. One of the agents with 3"-long finger nails has to type with a pen.

I was picking up some clients the other night at 2330. A319 from ORD and it took 50 minutes to get the checked luggage to the carousel. There was just about a riot as the bags finally arrived a 0020. No one at the ticket counter or baggage office while the plane was being unloaded so pax were left with absolutely no information on what was going on. The vendor either has the station staffed so slim that they can't possibly get the job done in a reasonable time or the staff is just inept.