Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

ckfred
Topic Author

AA Y Beverage Service

Mon Aug 01, 2016 5:07 am

I just flew AA this past week, ORD-DEN-ORD. Although I got the much-heralded bag of pretzels, I didn't get the can of soda along with the cup. When did this start? I hadn't flown AA in Y since last October. Is the cost of the pretzels so high that AA has to cut back on the amount of soda loaded into the Y galley?

If the choice is a cup of soda and a bag of pretzels or a full can of soda and no pretzels, I'd vote for the later. Considering I spent a week in and around Rocky Mountain National Park, feeling the effects for being at 7200 feet and higher (Chicago is only 600 feet or so above MSL), I felt parched by the time we landed at ORD. Even on flights where both ORD and my destination are roughly the same elevation, the dryness of an airplane cabin gets to my throat.

grbauc

Re: AA Y Beverage Service

Mon Aug 01, 2016 5:26 am

I'm not sure that one flight is enough evidence on new policy. I've not experienced or read about any policy changes.

I do agree with you if I was offered a choice I'd take a full can of soda.

Super80DFW

Mon Aug 01, 2016 5:48 am

If you were feeling parched because of dehydration and the altitude, you shouldn't be drinking soda in the first place. You should be drinking water. That's beside the point.

AA is still provisioning the same amount of drinks as before the complimentary snacks started. Probably just had a batch of FA's who poured and didn't give you the can. It never hurts to ask for more if you need it, FYI..

JDAirCEO

Mon Aug 01, 2016 6:08 am

AA policy is to no longer give the can unless requested. However, the cups were increased in size at the same time. Overall it speeds up service and reduces waste, but one can assume it also reduces cost since it happened when snacks were reintroduced in Y. For every enhancement you see at an airline you can almost always find a service reduction at the same time that helps cover the enhancement cost.
An MD-80 is great... in first class

Eirules

Mon Aug 01, 2016 6:33 am

Slightly off topic but what's the policy regarding pre-departure drinks in domestic first? I flew LAS-PHL in April and got one but flew SAN-ORD over the weekend and didn't
The way you cut your meat reflects the way you live....

MaksFly

Mon Aug 01, 2016 6:39 am

Weird...

Anytime I flew UA, or my usual Delta... they only pour the drink... but no can unless you ask for it.

+1 to AA if they actually just gave you the can.

stlgph

Mon Aug 01, 2016 7:34 am

JDAirCEO wrote:
AA policy is to no longer give the can unless requested. However, the cups were increased in size at the same time. Overall it speeds up service and reduces waste, but one can assume it also reduces cost since it happened when snacks were reintroduced in Y. For every enhancement you see at an airline you can almost always find a service reduction at the same time that helps cover the enhancement cost.

Not sure how pouring from a can would speed up service instead of just giving the can.

They want a coke? Cup, add ice, grab a coke and hand it off. Voila and done.

Pour in a cup? Grab a cup, fill it with ice, look for a coke, pour some in, you don't have enough, look for another can, empty that one out, too (yay, flat coke), or take another one, open it up, pour, hand off.
if assumptions could fly, airliners.net would be the world's busiest airport

vhtje

Mon Aug 01, 2016 12:02 pm

JDAirCEO wrote:

Anecdotally, if you are Executive Platinum, you still get the full can. I am BA Gold/OW Emerald. This means that when travelling Y on AA domestically, I get free Main Cabin Extra and free booze and food. Most times, the crew look up on their hand held devices and see that I am "Executive Platinum" (it's how it shows on their devices) and proactively offer me booze and food. My last trip in Y early last week, it was late in the morning and I did not want anything alcoholic, and the crew member did not look at his handheld before asking me what I wanted. I asked for a tomato juice and for the trail mix bag. He poured the tomato juice into a cup, and put the remainder of the can back in the trolley, then asked for $5.00 as he handed me the snack. I told him I do not pay as I am BA Gold/OW Emerald, so he looked at his handheld device, and apologised saying he did not realise there was an Executive Platinum, thank you for choosing American, etc. He then immediately, without being prompted, handed me the remainder of the can of tomato juice.
I only turn left when boarding aircraft. Well, mostly. All right, sometimes. OH OKAY - rarely.

miaskies

Mon Aug 01, 2016 2:09 pm

While I can't speak for all mainline or Eagle E-145/CRJ catering, I can speak for the larger Eagle catering markets that co-exist with mainline routes such as ORD-DEN, I am flight attendant for Eagle on the E-175 side. Our catering is not that much different, with the exception of first class since we do not have a) ovens b) do not carry the larger bottles of wine.

Reasons for lack of soda can service in Y:

1) Provisions: when we work ORD-DEN 95% it is a turn from ORD, meaning we turn right back around and do not overnight. Being that DEN is not an AA hub or a larger AA station we do not get catered there; except for ice of course. Why is this important? If we are working a flight with 80 people going to DEN and 80 people going back to ORD or 145 people going to and back our provisioned catering supplies should be enough to get us there and back. Meaning we want to be able to fullfill everyone's beverage request the first time around while keeping in mind that 99% of the time the flight is completely full and we must get thru the whole cabin.

2) Popular beverage products: Coke, Diet Coke, Ginger Ale, Cran Apple
These products are EXTREMELY popular in the air and we have to watch our supplies to make sure we can get thru everyone. Believe me when I say, that if you ask 99% of us for a can if we can accomodate you - we will. I simply tell my guest, give me a minute or two to complete my service and I will be back up with your refill, and 99% gladly smile and say not a problem.

3) Planes on the domestic side for these type of markets are catered "roundtrip". So as stated earlier, it will be catered for the outbound ORD-DEN and the inbound DEN-ORD. So if you are on the inbound DEN-ORD know that the plane is going back to ORD which is a catering station; meaning whatever is left over on the plane at the time of provisioned catering items is yours (with exceptions of course - booze); meaning if you ask for a can of soda on that leg it really should not be an issue what's so ever.

4) What is being done to accomodate passengers a bit more? extra carts and storage compartments are being included now with more soft drinks; particularly the more popular ones (coke, diet coke, etc) in lieu of excess snack for sale.

5) Ps. I agree - higher altitude; drink more water :)

Anyway, here is a little insight from our end. Thank you for flying with us!

JC
LGA
Crosscheck Complete :)

Okcflyer

Mon Aug 01, 2016 2:20 pm

It seems odd to me they would fly excess catering to prevent having to buy supplies at the turn location. That extra weight certainly burns fuel and could be the difference in another pax being kicked off on performance critical routes!

kalvado

Mon Aug 01, 2016 3:46 pm

Okcflyer wrote:
It seems odd to me they would fly excess catering to prevent having to buy supplies at the turn location. That extra weight certainly burns fuel and could be the difference in another pax being kicked off on performance critical routes!

100 cans of soda (12 oz = 350 ml) would be about 1/3 of a passenger. Extra fuel burn would be in single digit dollars at most.

usflyer123

Mon Aug 01, 2016 3:56 pm

i flew CLT-LAX and got snack and a can of coke. i mean its not a meal but at least they gave something.
for most people the sky is the limit. for those who love aviation, the sky is home...

OzarkD9S

Mon Aug 01, 2016 6:49 pm

Has any airline opted for store-branded sodas and juices? My local store brands are half the retail price as Coke or Pepsi, sometimes even if the major brands are on sale. Now there's a way to cut costs.
"My soul is in the sky". -Pyramus- A Midsummer's Night Dream

Eirules

Mon Aug 01, 2016 7:20 pm

OzarkD9S wrote:
Has any airline opted for store-branded sodas and juices? My local store brands are half the retail price as Coke or Pepsi, sometimes even if the major brands are on sale. Now there's a way to cut costs.

I don't know about AA or indeed any other American carrier. But I know a certain large European low cost carrier doesn't pay for the sodas, tea / coffee, juices etc. Instead they charge the manufacturer for promoting their product on board

ScottB

Mon Aug 01, 2016 8:45 pm

OzarkD9S wrote:

The airlines aren't paying anywhere near retail price for those products, and it's pretty obvious from the inflight announcements and branding on items like napkins that they're likely receiving much, if not all of the cost of the beverages back from the manufacturer for promotion of the brand.

L1011

Mon Aug 01, 2016 9:45 pm

Why don't airlines in the U.S. use 7.5 ounce cans? In Europe, airlines use smaller cans and give you the whole can and a cup. It makes for a much faster beverage service.

Bob Bradley
Fly Eastern's Golden Falcon DC-7B

miaskies

Mon Aug 01, 2016 11:57 pm

L1011 wrote:
Why don't airlines in the U.S. use 7.5 ounce cans? In Europe, airlines use smaller cans and give you the whole can and a cup. It makes for a much faster beverage service.

Bob Bradley

In a perfect world...but this is the American market, MORE MORE MORE MORE. :)

And yes, most major beverage and liquor brands work with the airlines for brand recognition so the airlines are getting these products at dirt cheap prices etc.
Crosscheck Complete :)

NASBWI

Tue Aug 02, 2016 12:36 am

miaskies wrote:
In a perfect world...but this is the American market, MORE MORE MORE MORE. :)

I actually asked about those size cans at the airline for which I work. My reasoning (besides less waste) was that we could fit more of them onboard - especially since our service standard is to serve the entire unopened can, and perhaps even allow for more varieties of sodas (sodas popular in the US such as Root Beer and Dr Pepper - and to some extent, diet Ginger Ale - are not available). I was told that while it was a good idea, it indeed wasn't as cost-effective, and in fact not feasible, as the quantities of those size cans to supply our operation were not readily available.

While "more more more" might seem to be the case in some instances, it would appear that the regular 12oz can is just what's expected on US soil. If you look in grocery stores' soda aisle, you'll notice there are faaaaar fewer 7.5 cans (and fewer selections of flavors) than the 12oz.

Perhaps in the future, and if demand prevails, we'll see some changes in that regard. I do agree, though, that 7.5oz would be ideal not only for supply, but to help prevent wastage. I much prefer handing out a second can of drink, than throwing away a half-empty one.
Fierce, Fabulous, and Flawless ;)

usxguy

Tue Aug 02, 2016 1:17 am

or follow the likes of LAN & Copa by using 2L bottles of soda :)
xx

Boeing778X

Tue Aug 02, 2016 1:29 am

AA/MQ FA here!

All you got to do is ask! We're there for your comfort and safety!
United Airlines: $#!ttin' On Everyone Since 1931

braniff2hav

Tue Aug 02, 2016 2:42 am

It is the inconsistency that gets me. I understand operational issues. But there seems to be little consistency - particularly on short segments.

JDAirCEO

Tue Aug 02, 2016 3:12 am

kalvado wrote:
Okcflyer wrote:

100 cans of soda (12 oz = 350 ml) would be about 1/3 of a passenger. Extra fuel burn would be in single digit dollars at most.

Double provisioning happens for lots of reasons, although AA has catering out of DEN. The typical reasons are no contract with a local catering company so you get situations like BUR and ORF (in ORF there may not even be an available catering option), where almost three hour morning flights receive a shelf stable continental breakfast that came in on the inbound flight the night before. AA used to keep those in a cart with dry ice to prevent milk and fruit from spoiling but I believe US did away with anything that would spoil.
Quality issues can cause double provisioning. As is the case on most LAX domestic flights now since AA has been having serious quality issues with meals catered from that station. To the point high-profile flights have been switched to a totally different vendor.
In the case of DEN I would image its a time saver. No need to deal with a caterer and any possible issues that may arise if the flight is taken care of upline since a flight like ORD-DEN is pretty short and a quick turn.
An MD-80 is great... in first class

global1

Tue Aug 02, 2016 3:45 am

At DL we pour a generous glass which holds nearly half a can, and provide the full can if requested by the customer. Previously at NW we would 'can' them automatically.
It was very wasteful. I myself don't really want a whole can.
Flight attendants cried foul with the change, supposedly as advocates of customer service. However, the truth be told, it was just easier for them to hand you the full can and move on.
If requested , a full can is provided without hesitation. We don't have the time to be looking up on hand-held devices to see if you're Executive Platinum or what not and use that to determine if you should be given the whole can or not on based on your status. That's silly.

ckfred
Topic Author

Tue Aug 02, 2016 4:31 am

A. While sitting at the gate at DEN for about 90 minutes prior to my flight, I saw that every AA flight was catered by LSG/Sky Chefs. My assumption is that catering was putting F meals on the eastbound flights, and perhaps snacks on the flight to PHX. A friend of mine who is a pilot says that its very common for a catering truck to position at R1 on an MD-80, 738, or Airbus narrowbody, and beverage carts are wheeled back to the Y galley.

B. It's easy to say, just ask the F/A for the can, but I could see that the F/As were pouring multiple cups of soda from a single can. If you happen to have a beverage poured upon the opening of the can, that's fine. But, if the F/A is filling the third cup from a can, there won't be much soda left.

Too me, this seems like one of the ways that Doug Parker has tried to cheapen the AA experience. I remember AA not handing out cans after 9/11. About the time that AA stopped with the free Bistro Bags and went to Buy On Board is when the the F/As started handing out the cans again.

etops1

Tue Aug 02, 2016 4:38 am

Ok..here's the deal . AA uses the exact same size tall glass cups as Delta . Only ours read "American"with the "Flight symbol" on it .. AA adopted the tall glass from USAirways whom adopted that tall glass from America West . The policy for domestic flights is to pour a glass unless a can is requested ( which is basically the same policy at DL and UA) The policy for international economy is to offer the can for the first beverage service then pour a glass unless a can is requested.. That's the policy .. Now ..do all FA's follow it is the question . Consistency is the key here . As far as a pre departure beverage for first class . It is supposed to be offered on all flights . We are having a huge problem with FA's not offering it on domestic flights . Some are only offering Juice or water as well .. We've gotten memo upon memo from our VP of inflight Hector Adler about how important it is to offer the full pre departure beverage on our domestic flights . Of course ... There may be situations where this just cannot happen .. Delay, or non routine operations .. But I think if FA's just let the Passengers know that due to our delay or whatever the case may be . He or she will not be able deliver the pre departure drinks but will be happily able to offer you're drink of choice after take off .. That may come across much better than not just doing it . It's all about delivery in my opinion . Now if the passenger cannot accept this then well.. We tried .. We are not gonna always get what we want in life are we ? Hope this helps a little .. Fly safe everyone .

texdravid

Tue Aug 02, 2016 5:20 am

There's always that one flight attendant on an American International flight, usually a grandma aged one that is short tempered, is arrogant and extremely cheap with the booze, soft drinks and the like.

Most flights you just wish she would sit down, sulk and adjust her ill fitting girdle and pull up her 1970's Leggs pantyhose and STFU.
Tort reform now. Throw lawyers in jail later.

etops1

Tue Aug 02, 2016 5:29 am

Well that was super rude ..

Eirules

Tue Aug 02, 2016 5:35 am

Here's a question for the AA crew out there, rather off topic but...

I flew in international business the other evening and upon leaving the lavatory at the front of the J cabin I walked through the galley / clean up area on my A330 to see a flight attendant pour what was left in the end of a bottle of white wine into a cup and begin to drink it. I assume this is not allowed?

etops1

Tue Aug 02, 2016 5:39 am

I really think you're misinterpreting this with apple juice ..

Eirules

Tue Aug 02, 2016 6:15 am

etops1 wrote:

Without wishing to sound rude, at 34years old I'm well aware of the difference between a bottle of white wine & a carton of apple juice unless AA now serves apple juice from a glass bottle

Andy33

Tue Aug 02, 2016 8:12 am

kalvado wrote:
Okcflyer wrote:

Compare that to the cost of having a catering contract at the far end of the route, the cost of inventory held at the far end, the slower turn at the far end caused by unloading empty carts and reloading with full ones. That's why airlines the world over are moving to round-trip catering (or in most cases already have moved) other than on long haul flights. Now hub to hub flights are different. The contracts and inventory are there anyway, the turn speed is more governed by timing of connecting banks

ams747757

Tue Aug 02, 2016 12:43 pm

In a way, I don't mind only being served a cup instead of the whole can, as sometimes I don't want to drink a ton of soda or juice. I usually bring my own bottle of water on board so if I'm truly thirsty I have that. Drinking a ton of soda will make you have to get up a lot anyway...

etops1

Tue Aug 02, 2016 1:24 pm

Eirules wrote:
etops1 wrote:

Without wishing to sound rude, at 34years old I'm well aware of the difference between a bottle of white wine & a carton of apple juice unless AA now serves apple juice from a glass bottle

I am gonna still go with the apple juice . :)

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos