Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

tommyarias
Topic Author

UA Saves 2 Olympians From AA Delays to Rio.

Mon Aug 01, 2016 10:39 pm

April Ross and Brooke Sweat were set to fly on an American Airlines flight from Miami to Rio de Janeiro this week, in time for the Opening Ceremony on Friday August 5, 2016.

April Ross posted on her Instagram account that she was told American Airlines could get her into Rio de Janeiro on Saturday – the day after the Opening Ceremonies.

http://pointmetotheplane.boardingarea.c ... -disaster/
"Insert Generic Signature or Quote" - Generic Name

OB1504

Re: UA Saves 2 Olympians From AA Delays to Rio.

Mon Aug 01, 2016 10:49 pm

Flights to Brazil are absurdly full on just about every airline.

DocLightning

Mon Aug 01, 2016 10:50 pm

If you're competing in the Olympics and don't arrive a few days early, then that is a risk you take.
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

deltal1011man

Mon Aug 01, 2016 11:16 pm

DocLightning wrote:
If you're competing in the Olympics and don't arrive a few days early, then that is a risk you take.

its hard to say that without knowing why they are going down so late.

B737900ER

Tue Aug 02, 2016 7:40 am

DocLightning wrote:

They were going five days early. Don't see how an AA delay, and then their attempt to get them there six days later, is the athletes fault.

piedmont762

Tue Aug 02, 2016 1:19 pm

What's the point of this thread? The Olympics are in Rio, there will be delays & cancellations. Especially with relations to security.

UAL777UK

Tue Aug 02, 2016 1:22 pm

Aren't UA the official US Olympics team carrier anyway. They used to be or has that changed?

DolphinAir747

Tue Aug 02, 2016 1:50 pm

UAL777UK wrote:
Aren't UA the official US Olympics team carrier anyway. They used to be or has that changed?

Oh they are. In the last two months UA has had Olympic-themed safety videos, amenity kits, pins, teddy bears, ads. You can't spend an hour at UA without hearing about the Olympics. I'm not sure why there's not yet an aircraft in an Olympics livery. :geek:

910A

Tue Aug 02, 2016 1:56 pm

Why isn't this pair on the United's charters to Rio for the Olympic athletes?

redzeppelin

Tue Aug 02, 2016 2:30 pm

For many Olympic athletes, their competition schedule lasts for only a few days. If they don't compete until the second week, it makes sense to stay home and continue training, and perhaps arrive just in time for the opening ceremony, rather than go really early. I was a volunteer worker for one of the national teams at the SLC games in 2002. The travel schedules were a surprise to me. All of the athletes were welcome to be there for the full length of the games, but many choose to arrive just in time for their event and/or leave as soon as they are done. The latter is especially common--the number of athletes participating in the closing ceremony is a fraction of the number that participate in the opening. They need to get back to their training programs and/or move on to their next scheduled competition ASAP. For full-time athletes, the Olympic Games are a business trip.

ssteve

Tue Aug 02, 2016 2:50 pm

AA looks really, really stupid here.

UAL777UK

Tue Aug 02, 2016 3:38 pm

I'm not sure why there's not yet an aircraft in an Olympics livery. :geek:[/quote]

Maybe its coming. I would love to see that on a 747

Polot

Tue Aug 02, 2016 3:54 pm

I doubt there will be a Olympic livery, I don't think they have done so in the past (Sochi, London, etc). Remember that UA is the official airline of Team USA. They are not the official airline of the 2016 Olympic games. United can't go around using the Rio 2016 logo and what not.

psa1011

Tue Aug 02, 2016 4:04 pm

Is UA still just flying the one IAH-GIG flight to serve the Olympics?

UAL777UK

Tue Aug 02, 2016 4:26 pm

Polot wrote:
I doubt there will be a Olympic livery, I don't think they have done so in the past (Sochi, London, etc). Remember that UA is the official airline of Team USA. They are not the official airline of the 2016 Olympic games. United can't go around using the Rio 2016 logo and what not.

No one is saying it will be using the Olympic rings, no one can use them unless the pay big bucks but as the official USA team airline it would have been nice to have seen something.

ikramerica

Tue Aug 02, 2016 4:37 pm

The original link is short on details and makes no sense.

How does a delay (not cancelation) turn into a 5 day re accommodation?

Anyway, these professional athletes chose one more weekend paycheck before heading to rio. And then it would seem were on a cheapo ticket that put them in the back of the line for rebooking. One would assume that if the olympics are really important to you, better planning is in order. Good that UA found a way.
Of all the things to worry about... the Wookie has no pants.

DocLightning

Tue Aug 02, 2016 7:23 pm

B737900ER wrote:
DocLightning wrote:

They were going five days early. Don't see how an AA delay, and then their attempt to get them there six days later, is the athletes fault.

I did not see that. In that case, then yes, AA's bad.
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

ssteve

Tue Aug 02, 2016 7:38 pm

ikramerica wrote:

Ever miss a connecting flight?

Last time I did on AA, we got offered standby the next morning. Standby for 4 seats on an RJ.

Compound that with every flight to Rio being, of course, booked.

It's not like they're new to travel... I'm sure they know this was extraordinarily shitty. SIX days?

777PHX

Tue Aug 02, 2016 8:04 pm

ssteve wrote:

Because they had a cancelled flight and no space available to rebook them?

Shit happens.

According to the article, the UA flight they ultimately ended up taking was sold out as well, so more than likely, UA bumped paying customers for this little PR stunt.

DualQual

Tue Aug 02, 2016 8:50 pm

777PHX wrote:

According to the article, the UA flight they ultimately ended up taking was sold out as well, so more than likely, UA bumped paying customers for this little PR stunt.

No, they didn't. They were able to be accomodated due to misconnects.

piedmont762 wrote:
What's the point of this thread? The Olympics are in Rio, there will be delays & cancellations. Especially with relations to security.

I know! This positive thread really detracts from the usual UA sucks drivel.
There's no known cure for stupid

OB1504

Tue Aug 02, 2016 11:23 pm

ssteve wrote:

If I had had them, I know I could've gotten them out much sooner. I've had great luck finding availability lately.

Some flights are just impossible, though, with dozens of people on standby.

blueflyer

Tue Aug 02, 2016 11:41 pm

ikramerica wrote:
Anyway, these professional athletes chose one more weekend paycheck before heading to rio. And then it would seem were on a cheapo ticket that put them in the back of the line for rebooking. One would assume that if the olympics are really important to you, better planning is in order. Good that UA found a way.

Olympians do not usually make their own travel arrangements. Their federation or USOC does it for them. Depending on origin, travel dates, etc... they end on a charter or a commercial flight.

grbauc

Tue Aug 02, 2016 11:45 pm

DocLightning wrote:

Wow that's what I've been wondering.

MaxxFlyer

Wed Aug 03, 2016 12:58 am

Polot wrote:

Most of the time, Olympics themed liveries are for carriers from the host nation. Think DL in 1996, Ansett in 2000, BA in 2012.

ssteve

Wed Aug 03, 2016 1:11 am

777PHX wrote:
ssteve wrote:

Because they had a cancelled flight and no space available to rebook them?.

And it was American athletes flying to the Olympics, and they got on social media, so... yes.

The backstory may well be that coaches or other associates were in the party and they tried to rebook them all... and it's not necessarily clear if UA offered more than 2 seats.

jetwet1

Wed Aug 03, 2016 3:59 am

UAL777UK wrote:

yep

Polot wrote:

You probably have no idea how right you are, I will get to that in a minute.

MaxxFlyer wrote:

Most of the time, Olympics themed liveries are for carriers from the host nation. Think DL in 1996, Ansett in 2000, BA in 2012.

Being the host nation has nothing to do with it, it all comes down to who has paid the IOC for the right to be the official carrier. This is something the IOC takes seriously, to the point where you have official Olympic ***** of everything, trust me on this one, in fact, go do a quick search, there is even an space for the official Olympic egg incubator....I'm not joking.

About two weeks ago my company received a very nice letter from the IOC warning us that using the Olympic rings, the term Rio2016, RIO16 and a few pages of other stuff related to the Olympics in any way, shape or form would result in them suing us, this off course sent the legal team into a complete melt down, until it was pointed out that we in fact had not used and were not planning on using anything to do with the Olympics in our mailers, websites and social media pages.

Of course I also instructed our legal dept. to spend 5 minutes and send them a letter informing them that the use of our name and our intellectual property in connection with anything to do with the Rio 2106 Olympics would result in legal action from us....

ikramerica wrote:
The original link is short on details and makes no sense.

I was listening to a piece on NPR about the actual expenses of being an athlete that makes it to the Olympics, from what they were saying the US federation covers about $3000 of the expenses, after that it's down to the athlete, of course sponsorship deals help with that, but let's say you are a javelin thrower, how much sponsorship do you think they get ?
Last edited by jetwet1 on Wed Aug 03, 2016 4:47 am, edited 2 times in total.

kimshep

Wed Aug 03, 2016 4:04 am

Possible reason for the 'late' booking ?

I think a lot of the above posts are failing to recognise that with the 'drug control' situation, many Russian athletes are being banned, as we speak.

In some cases, athletes may have qualified in 4th place and not received entry into the Games proper - but with (Russian) athletes who may have 'qualified' for attendance being banned, that then frees up a place for the 4th (fastest, best etc) qualifier.

In Australia, we had an entire team of four that was a 4th place entrant, which denied them attendance. The Russian team for their sport was banned - and our lot were then qualified to attend. Last minute flight from SYD to GIG a couple of days ago. Perhaps a similar set of circumstances were gifted on these two girls?

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos