Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

727LOVER
Topic Author

AA pilot restrains drunken pax: VIDEO

Tue Aug 02, 2016 4:24 pm

Well just tackles him

"you don't put your hands on my flight attendant!"

Looks like the plane had already landed.

https://www.yahoo.com/
Last edited by KaiGywer on Wed Aug 03, 2016 2:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Inappropriate thread title
"We must accept finite disappointment, but never lose infinite hope." - Martin Luther King, Jr.

airportugal310

Re: AA pilot beats up drunken pax: VIDEO

Tue Aug 02, 2016 5:29 pm

Good. Since the courts aren't really doing anything with these assholes, might as well do it yourself
“They bought their tickets, they knew what they were getting into. I say, let 'em crash.”

boeing808

Tue Aug 02, 2016 5:30 pm

That was after the drunken idiot shoved a flight attendant and tried to leave the plane. So yes, the pilot did get him to the ground-otherwise who knows what that tool would have done.

usflyer123

Tue Aug 02, 2016 5:45 pm

thats why every airline needs to have undercover security guy on every flight like LY does.
for most people the sky is the limit. for those who love aviation, the sky is home...

Andy33

Tue Aug 02, 2016 6:13 pm

Wouldn't it be even better to prevent people from boarding if they present any kind of threat to other passengers or the crew - something else that Israel does very well. Onboard security is all very well, but can't stop innocent bystanders being hurt before they get control of the situation. It's far easier to remove someone causing a drunken disturbance from an airport than from an airplane!

Scorpio

Tue Aug 02, 2016 6:14 pm

Link please? The link you provided just leads to the yahoo homepage...

clrd4t8koff

Tue Aug 02, 2016 6:24 pm

usflyer123 wrote:
thats why every airline needs to have undercover security guy on every flight like LY does.

They typically do - called Federal Air Marshals (FAM). Or did they stop putting them on flights?

winginit

Tue Aug 02, 2016 6:29 pm

Of note is the fact that the passenger has been rightfully barred from commercial airline travel while he awaits trial. It's possible if not likely that AA will bar him even after trial and swiftly recommend other carriers do the same.

Also, I'm not sure 'beat up', as is written in the title, is really appropriate. Forcefully restrained maybe?

barney captain

Tue Aug 02, 2016 6:31 pm

Was this AA mainline? It looks like possibly an RJ of some kind.
Southeast Of Disorder

Hhimm

Tue Aug 02, 2016 6:35 pm

Scorpio wrote:

http://www.miamiherald.com/news/nation- ... 52222.html

nws2002

Tue Aug 02, 2016 7:28 pm

clrd4t8koff wrote:
usflyer123 wrote:

They typically do - called Federal Air Marshals (FAM). Or did they stop putting them on flights?

FAM will not involve themselves in this type of altercation.

etops1

Tue Aug 02, 2016 7:35 pm

Federal Air Marshals are only on board to protect the flight deck . Nothing less..nothing more.. If the perpetrator is no harm to the integrity of the flight deck.. The FAM will not intervene.. As this could be a diversion to blow their cover..

clrd4t8koff

Tue Aug 02, 2016 7:45 pm

etops1 wrote:
Federal Air Marshals are only on board to protect the flight deck . Nothing less..nothing more.. If the perpetrator is no harm to the integrity of the flight deck.. The FAM will not intervene.. As this could be a diversion to blow their cover..

So question - if a terrorist managed to get on board with a weapon and started killing flight attendants and passengers a FAM would just sit there and not do anything since they're not compromising the integrity of the flight deck?

ssteve

Tue Aug 02, 2016 7:47 pm

barney captain wrote:

Doesn't the ALPA badge (can't read anything else) mean it wasn't mainline? Does look like an RJ.

tjwgrr

Tue Aug 02, 2016 7:55 pm

barney captain wrote:

The Miami Herald article says it was a flight from Lexington to CLT. All flights look to be operated by PSA:
http://flightaware.com/live/findflight/KLEX/KCLT/
Direct KNOBS, maintain 2700' until established on the localizer, cleared ILS runway 26 left approach.

tjwgrr

Tue Aug 02, 2016 7:58 pm

winginit wrote:
Also, I'm not sure 'beat up', as is written in the title, is really appropriate. Forcefully restrained maybe?

Yes, the drunk wasn't 'beat up' but forcibly taken down and restrained.
Direct KNOBS, maintain 2700' until established on the localizer, cleared ILS runway 26 left approach.

FriscoHeavy

Tue Aug 02, 2016 8:02 pm

This pilot deserves a huge reward/bonus and pat on the back for doing the right thing in this situation.
Whatever

727LOVER
Topic Author

Tue Aug 02, 2016 8:35 pm

winginit wrote:
Of note is the fact that the passenger has been rightfully barred from commercial airline travel while he awaits trial. It's possible if not likely that AA will bar him even after trial and swiftly recommend other carriers do the same.

I think I covered that with my 1st sentence...hey, gotta sell these threads, HEADLINE IS EVERY THING :D
"We must accept finite disappointment, but never lose infinite hope." - Martin Luther King, Jr.

PlanesNTrains

Tue Aug 02, 2016 10:31 pm

clrd4t8koff wrote:
etops1 wrote:

So question - if a terrorist managed to get on board with a weapon and started killing flight attendants and passengers a FAM would just sit there and not do anything since they're not compromising the integrity of the flight deck?

If a person has a gun and starts shooting, I would take that as an attack on the flight (deck). The goal is clearly to gain control of the plane or otherwise bring it down. I have no knowledge of the FAM program but can't imagine someone just sitting there while a shooter is actively killing people with a weapon.
-Dave

MAX’d out on MAX threads. If you are starting a thread, and it’s about the MAX - stop. There’s already a thread that covers it.

rampbro

Tue Aug 02, 2016 10:50 pm

The old side burns - shaved head combo looked really great on the guys face as the pilot mashed it into the floor.

thomasphoto60

Tue Aug 02, 2016 10:54 pm

winginit wrote:

Agree, he was merely subdued by the Captain, not "beaten up" by any measure.
"Show me the Braniffs"

clrd4t8koff

Wed Aug 03, 2016 1:30 am

PlanesNTrains wrote:
clrd4t8koff wrote:
etops1 wrote:

If a person has a gun and starts shooting, I would take that as an attack on the flight (deck). The goal is clearly to gain control of the plane or otherwise bring it down. I have no knowledge of the FAM program but can't imagine someone just sitting there while a shooter is actively killing people with a weapon.

Plenty of other weapons that could kill people on board other than guns. Think 9/11 and box cutters. Knives would work also. Neither of those weapons will penetrate the ballistic strength doors the cockpits are secured with (nor do I think a bullet would) and therefor would never compromise the integrity of the flight deck. So back to my question - is a FAM just going to sit there?

The reason I ask again is because if you watch the video the drunk guy is clearly near the cockpit which is open and he starts to barge his way towards it, which is possibly going to compromise the integrity of the flight deck, so why wouldn't the FAM get involved at this point?

TheF15Ace

Wed Aug 03, 2016 3:39 am

Scorpio wrote:

https://www.yahoo.com/news/captain-tack ... 00643.html

PlanesNTrains

Wed Aug 03, 2016 5:21 am

clrd4t8koff wrote:
PlanesNTrains wrote:
clrd4t8koff wrote:

Plenty of other weapons that could kill people on board other than guns. Think 9/11 and box cutters. Knives would work also. Neither of those weapons will penetrate the ballistic strength doors the cockpits are secured with (nor do I think a bullet would) and therefor would never compromise the integrity of the flight deck. So back to my question - is a FAM just going to sit there?

The reason I ask again is because if you watch the video the drunk guy is clearly near the cockpit which is open and he starts to barge his way towards it, which is possibly going to compromise the integrity of the flight deck, so why wouldn't the FAM get involved at this point?

I believe the video takes place on the ground. From the details it sounds like the door was open for de-boarding but the jetway wasn't connected yet. I'm not sure what the air marshall needs to do at that point?
-Dave

MAX’d out on MAX threads. If you are starting a thread, and it’s about the MAX - stop. There’s already a thread that covers it.