Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

WaywardMemphian
Topic Author

MEM B Concourse Modernization Being Tweaked Again

Wed Aug 03, 2016 2:00 pm

No new renderings at this time but the previous plans are not up to snuff and MEM is looking at more new construction instead of remodeling the old.

http://www.bizjournals.com/memphis/news ... or.html#g6

“The new vision will reflect a little more newness — not as much of the existing facility will remain,” Brockman said.

The MSCAA is getting ever closer to being able to roll out its own comprehensive vision, similar to the Metropolitan Nashville Airport Authority's $1 billion BNA Vision announced Monday, Aug. 1. The emerging Memphis-Nashville rivalry stems from pride and competition, which helps drive the MSCAA’s visioning process for its own facilities, Brockman said. The new vision is to create something that is even more open then the first with more natural light, greater areas of openness and higher ceilings over the moving walkways. Brockman is waiting to present the new vision to the public until he’s confident the costs are reasonable and rational.

“When we can get to a cost that will reflect what we get when we bid, then it will be time to roll everything out,” he said.

Architects and engineers are anticipated to give the MSCAA an update on the latest modernization effort costs by early September.

“The time has certainly not been wasted, it’s been invested in getting to a better product, a better project, and is certainly moving us towards a project that when completed, will be a terminal concourse that this community can be extremely proud of,” Brockman said.

BOSMEMFlyer

Re: MEM B Concourse Modernization Being Tweaked Again

Wed Aug 03, 2016 2:40 pm

The only thing that comes to mind is that they temporarily move everyone out of B to either A or C and demolish it in favor or something entirely new OR they go along the lines of an RDU design and temporarily move everyone to B in favor of demolishing C to make it a long, legacy concourse and pseudo spruce up A and have all the low-cost carriers over there. We shall see!

Cubsrule

Wed Aug 03, 2016 3:02 pm

MEM and BNA could both use some sprucing up for sure, but planning based on a rivalry with BNA is silly for any number of reasons. The most obvious couple are that BNA now connects many more passengers than does MEM and that BNA has unique passenger handling concerns stemming from the very uneven nature of its outbound traffic.
I can't decide whether I miss the tulip or the bowling shoe more

WaywardMemphian
Topic Author

Wed Aug 03, 2016 3:16 pm

Cubsrule wrote:
MEM and BNA could both use some sprucing up for sure, but planning based on a rivalry with BNA is silly for any number of reasons. The most obvious couple are that BNA now connects many more passengers than does MEM and that BNA has unique passenger handling concerns stemming from the very uneven nature of its outbound traffic.

You may be misinterpreting the "competition" angle of this. I don't see it as trying to be as big as Nashville but better in terms of user experience. And... that is fine.

What I want to see Memphis do is to to come up with plans (at the very least) of connecting it to downtown via light rail. I always thought this was an Achilles Heel type problem from the hub days and something an airport that wanted to be a hub needs to have and for Memphis even as an O&D airport could benefit greatly from.

The status of the Global Entry Office opening is supposedly any day now.

enilria

Wed Aug 03, 2016 3:25 pm

Cubsrule wrote:
MEM and BNA could both use some sprucing up for sure, but planning based on a rivalry with BNA is silly for any number of reasons.

WaywardMemphian wrote:
The emerging Memphis-Nashville rivalry stems from pride and competition, which helps drive the MSCAA’s visioning process for its own facilities, Brockman said.

I'm sorry, but what BNA is doing should have nothing to do with what MEM is doing. That's borderline irresponsible. It's a 3.5 hour drive between airports, there is virtually zero leakage now that MEM has normalized air fares. I don't know what competition they are talking about? Competition to get a new hub? Not happening at either. Competition to steal BNA's WN "hub" away in MEM? If that were even possible (and it isn't) it would only happen because BNA overbuilt and drove away the airlines with high costs, but building more in MEM won't help that alternate universe to come into focus.

Bottom line, these are two completely different markets and while airport costs come into the equation to an extent, no airline is going to decide which airport to fly to based upon the amount of natural light or openness. Just build what the market will bear and what the airlines will pay for with a modular expansion plan if it fills up. That's it.

GSPSPOT

Wed Aug 03, 2016 3:29 pm

I think MEM's mid-century modern complex should be preserved as much as possible. It's serviceable as is - just tear down what's not needed and polish the details of the remainder. It's not likely to be used as a hub anytime in the foreseeable future, so no need to reinvent the wheel here.
Great Lakes, great life.

enilria

Wed Aug 03, 2016 3:35 pm

GSPSPOT wrote:
I think MEM's mid-century modern complex should be preserved as much as possible. It's serviceable as is - just tear down what's not needed and polish the details of the remainder. It's not likely to be used as a hub anytime in the foreseeable future, so no need to reinvent the wheel here.

Their bread and butter was always been being a much cheaper hub airport for DL than other hubs. BNA is serving up lower costs on a silver platter again with this over-built expansion plan. MEM needs to keep their eye on the ball and market the lower costs, not compete on terminal opulence. The economy of MEM can't match BNA, so they need another method to compete and cost remains a good one.

NASHVILLE GDP 106B
MEMPHIS 70B

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_U ... eas_by_GDP

BOSMEMFlyer

Wed Aug 03, 2016 3:37 pm

I do think it needs a big modernization effort, as everyone seems to universally gripe at how old the gate ares are as much as they universally praise the BBQ. I'm curious as to what the gate number might be if they go in the direction of entirely new. I know that around 60 gates were going to be left (admittedly some sealed off) with the modernize B and close off the stubs of A and C plan.

15-20 gates are likely used simultaneously at peak currently, no?

geologyrocks

Wed Aug 03, 2016 3:41 pm

MEM's biggest problem for future growth is that it is located in a cesspool city.

WaywardMemphian
Topic Author

Re: MEM B Concourse Modernization Being Tweakedb Again

Wed Aug 03, 2016 4:12 pm

geologyrocks wrote:
MEM's biggest problem for future growth is that it is located in a cesspool city.

See, this is the nonsense Memphis has to put up with. And get this, it's growing. It's not the juggernaut Nashville has become but more and more is happening in Memphis. Realtor Mag named Memphis #3 as a top places for Millenials to move to. Chicago sez hi and there isn't homeless poop all over the sidewalks every morning like San Francisco.

St. Jude has announced a 7 Billion Dollar expansion and is consistently ranked as a top place to work nationally.

I could go on.

Again, as for the competition, I think those outside the region aren't getting it. It's more Sibling Rivalry than this economic battle you all are portraying. It's more about Commercialized Country vs. Authentic Blues, Elvis vs. Twitty not my GDP is bigger than yours.

Anyway, the tires on B737's may be made in Memphis soon.

geologyrocks

Wed Aug 03, 2016 4:19 pm

WaywardMemphian wrote:
geologyrocks wrote:

See, this is the nonsense Memphis has to put up with. And get this, it's growing. It's not the juggernaut Nashville has become but more and more is happening in Memphis. Realtor Mag named Memphis #3 as a top places for Millenials to move to. Chicago sez hi and there isn't homeless poop all over the sidewalks every morning like San Francisco.

St. Jude has announced a 7 Billion Dollar expansion and is consistently ranked as a top place to work nationally.

I could go on.

Again, as for the competition, I think those outside the region aren't getting it. It's more Sibling Rivalry than this economic battle you all are portraying. It's more about Commercialized Country vs. Authentic Blues, Elvis vs. Twitty not my GDP is bigger than yours.

Anyway, the tires on B737's may be made in Memphis soon.

Statistics don't lie and it's not growing. The population within the city has declined (again). That's why home values are stagnant.

Cubsrule

Wed Aug 03, 2016 4:39 pm

enilria wrote:
Their bread and butter was always been being a much cheaper hub airport for DL than other hubs. BNA is serving up lower costs on a silver platter again with this over-built expansion plan. MEM needs to keep their eye on the ball and market the lower costs, not compete on terminal opulence.

Hope springs eternal, of course, but if recent construction is any indication, BNA has its eye on CPE. Increasing passenger numbers are helpful in that regard.

william

Wed Aug 03, 2016 5:11 pm

They could do what Dallas Love field did and build a simple 2o something gate T shaped concourse. Move everyone out of the central concourse, tear it down and rebuild as a T concourse.

BOSMEMFlyer

Wed Aug 03, 2016 5:45 pm

Agreed...I flew through HOU a few months ago and thought it also had a design (also similar to DAL) that could work for MEM.

TWA772LR

Wed Aug 03, 2016 8:51 pm

BOSMEMFlyer wrote:
Agreed...I flew through HOU a few months ago and thought it also had a design (also similar to DAL) that could work for MEM.

MEM doesn't really need a new structure. I like what I've seen with the renderings of the renovations for B, and I think they should keep A and C open once B is totally renovated, then demolish (or at least mothball) A and C. B has ample room to hold MEMs current operations.
When wasn't America great?

The thoughts and opinions shared under this username are mine and are not influenced by my employer.

zippyjet

Wed Aug 03, 2016 9:14 pm

]Was in Memphis almost 10 years ago. Back then I worked for FL. If I'm not mistaken our gate was in B Concourse. With me being sentimental, I liked the intimate style gate areas. (Low Ceilings) good sized windows. It had that 1963 look cinderblock walls. A little drab in color. I'm one for renovate and restore. I sort of like the old school/old style designs. However anything built in the 70's onward for my money can be demolished. The 70's and 80's were the age of the sterile cheap look that did not age well. I say spruce up B with the latest techno must haves, some local art (hopefully) aviation related mixed with Elvis. That's just how I roll!
I'm Zippyjet & I approve this message!

WaywardMemphian
Topic Author

Wed Aug 03, 2016 10:15 pm

geologyrocks wrote:
Statistics don't lie and it's not growing. The population within the city has declined (again). That's why home values are stagnant.

You completely dismiss all of the surrounding area and cherry pick the immediate city limits. But I some it up best when the St. Jude CEO stated he was tired of building garages in the tens of millions for workers to drive into work and that's why they had bought up lots of land around the hospital to promote new housing. St. Jude is a major driver of the whole Pinch redevelopment plan released just a couple of weeks ago. They own several parcels they will likely push mixed use on.

Anyway MEM serves a big area. We'll know what the new plans will call for an a month, but they likely hold to that 40ish gate y shaped outline we saw in the previous plan's B Concourse upgrade. I don't think you'll see where new BNA's 1 billion dollar plan just a bump up to 250 million range, if that.

A bit about the area that MEM serves:

The greater Mid-South area as a whole has a population of 2.4 million according to 2013 census estimates.This area is covered by Memphis local news channels and includes the Missouri Bootheel, Northeast Arkansas, West Tennessee, and North Mississippi.

Memphis has that 800 pound gorilla on the north end of the facility to make any big improvements not push fees too high.

geologyrocks

Wed Aug 03, 2016 11:44 pm

WaywardMemphian wrote:
You completely dismiss all of the surrounding area and cherry pick the immediate city limits. But I some it up best when the St. Jude CEO stated he was tired of building garages in the tens of millions for workers to drive into work and that's why they had bought up lots of land around the hospital to promote new housing. St. Jude is a major driver of the whole Pinch redevelopment plan released just a couple of weeks ago. They own several parcels they will likely push mixed use on.

Anyway MEM serves a big area. We'll know what the new plans will call for an a month, but they likely hold to that 40ish gate y shaped outline we saw in the previous plan's B Concourse upgrade. I don't think you'll see where new BNA's 1 billion dollar plan just a bump up to 250 million range, if that.

A bit about the area that MEM serves:

The greater Mid-South area as a whole has a population of 2.4 million according to 2013 census estimates.This area is covered by Memphis local news channels and includes the Missouri Bootheel, Northeast Arkansas, West Tennessee, and North Mississippi.

Memphis has that 800 pound gorilla on the north end of the facility to make any big improvements not push fees too high.

If you think I'm cherry picking because I pointed out that the city population is declining, even though you said it's growing, then I guess I'm guilty as charged.

A bit about Memphis:

It's above average crime and below average income make it a tough market. So far, there have been 133 homicides this year. Memphis has a city population of 650,000. Chicago has had 380 homicides this year with a population of 2,700,000.

But by all means, modernize the airport. I don't know about you but I've never once flown to an airport to see the airport.

CIDFlyer

Thu Aug 04, 2016 12:16 am

comparing both cities is like apples to oranges. MEM I see as older but starting to reinvent itself. Its outlying areas east of Memphis and in Mississippi are very nice. Nashville I see as more flashy and new.... but MEM must have had something going for it over BNA to land IKEA. I would have thought Nashville for sure would have gained an IKEA before Memphis.

OzarkD9S

Thu Aug 04, 2016 12:20 am

[/quote]

But by all means, modernize the airport. I don't know about you but I've never once flown to an airport to see the airport.[/quote]

Then how can you call yourself a true aviation buff if you indeed are? You're on here for what reason?

I routinely schedule myself through airports I haven't been to or revamped airports just to see what has changed since the last time I was through.

Maybe it's just me, but on this site I know I am not alone.
"My soul is in the sky". -Pyramus- A Midsummer's Night Dream

geologyrocks

Thu Aug 04, 2016 12:25 am

OzarkD9S wrote:

Then how can you call yourself a true aviation buff if you indeed are? You're on here for what reason?

I routinely schedule myself through airports I haven't been to or revamped airports just to see what has changed since the last time I was through.

Maybe it's just me, but on this site I know I am not alone.

So, in order to be a true aviation buff you have to fly to airports you've never been to just to say you've been there? So, if I decide to fly to Paducah, KY tomorrow will I then be a true aviation buff? OK, you're not alone. How many people do you think there are out there? Do you think that now justifies the city spending money on this project?

IAHWorldflyer

Thu Aug 04, 2016 2:31 am

I personally think it would be nice to keep as much of the original design as possible. I liked the update to widening Terminal B, as the area where it splits becomes very narrow. I don't think MEM needs to spend lots of money just to try to out-glam Nashville. The airports serve very different demographics. MEM has become very O/D focused, and that traveler isn't going to compare the airport to SIN or DOH.
As to growth, there's just not much that's going to happen over the next 5 years. The immediate metro area population is stagnant. I truly respect St. Jude and it's mission, but an expansion alone will not drive much in terms of air traffic. If medical facilities were drivers or air traffic, you'd still see CLE with a hub. Pharma reps travel,not medical doctors and nurses, other than to a few conferences.And Memphis needs to get a handle on crime before tourists find out how bad it is. This year people have been shot on or around Beale Street, The Pinch, and the Pyramid.
I do hope that at some point, WN will expand destinations from MEM. It's amazing to me that there is either no, or only small commuter service from MEM to STL, MSY, RDU, and BNA.

TWA772LR

Thu Aug 04, 2016 3:36 am

IAHWorldflyer wrote:
It's amazing to me that there is either no, or only small commuter service from MEM to STL, MSY, RDU, and BNA.

One of my earliest childhood memories is me, my dad, and my brother dropping my mom off at the airport to go somewhere. We walked by a gate with a 727 and I remember the gate agent making boarding announcements to New Orleans.

IMO, this is where an all-RJ/turboprop airline could survive. Smaller cities with almost all O&D (i.e. former hubs). An airline flying Emb145/175/195s can do some damage with all of it's hubs in cities like MEM, PIT, STL, RNO, etc...
When wasn't America great?

The thoughts and opinions shared under this username are mine and are not influenced by my employer.

MaxxFlyer

Thu Aug 04, 2016 3:54 am

Nashville and Memphis have always had rivalries, but two very different places. Nashville will soon overtake Memphis in population give the growth rate. I'm not convinced much of the new BNA Vision plans will happen outside of concourse A brought up to standards for a decent FIS facility, and some general upgrades. It certainly doesn't need a new runway. MEM is getting some decent service from the LCC's, I expect the changes there will be modest.

BOSMEMFlyer

Thu Aug 04, 2016 2:32 pm

Moving past the trolls, I don't think any of us MEM fans will deny that the city has been through hard times, but I do think you can see it hit rock bottom and is moving forward. New leadership in City Hall, strengthened ties with local business (ServiceMaster stays and moves HQ to downtown...woot woot!), continued residential surge downtown, new interstates, new tourist venues...there is a light at the end of the tunnel MEM has floundered in for a while. Nashville is definitely ahead in the evolution, but I have faith in the airport authority in MEM and that they simply made an off-the-cuff remark that is now getting turned into a pissing match. There were moments during the NW hub days of talks of increased construction and terminal expansion, and they were wise to wait and see what happened. I doubt they have since lost their foresight in the years since and plan on building a bridge to nowhere.

WaywardMemphian
Topic Author

Thu Aug 04, 2016 3:24 pm

IAHWorldflyer wrote:
I personally think it would be nice to keep as much of the original design as possible. I liked the update to widening Terminal B, as the area where it splits becomes very narrow. I don't think MEM needs to spend lots of money just to try to out-glam Nashville. The airports serve very different demographics. MEM has become very O/D focused, and that traveler isn't going to compare the airport to SIN or DOH.
As to growth, there's just not much that's going to happen over the next 5 years. The immediate metro area population is stagnant. I truly respect St. Jude and it's mission, but an expansion alone will not drive much in terms of air traffic. If medical facilities were drivers or air traffic, you'd still see CLE with a hub. Pharma reps travel,not medical doctors and nurses, other than to a few conferences.And Memphis needs to get a handle on crime before tourists find out how bad it is. This year people have been shot on or around Beale Street, The Pinch, and the Pyramid.
I do hope that at some point, WN will expand destinations from MEM. It's amazing to me that there is either no, or only small commuter service from MEM to STL, MSY, RDU, and BNA.

You say pharma reps, Memphis has become a hot spot for the medical device business. This a somewhat date article, the industry has since grown more.

http://www.businessclimate.com/medical- ... tennessee/

geologyrocks

Thu Aug 04, 2016 5:31 pm

BOSMEMFlyer wrote:
Moving past the trolls, I don't think any of us MEM fans will deny that the city has been through hard times, but I do think you can see it hit rock bottom and is moving forward. New leadership in City Hall, strengthened ties with local business (ServiceMaster stays and moves HQ to downtown...woot woot!), continued residential surge downtown, new interstates, new tourist venues...there is a light at the end of the tunnel MEM has floundered in for a while. Nashville is definitely ahead in the evolution, but I have faith in the airport authority in MEM and that they simply made an off-the-cuff remark that is now getting turned into a pissing match. There were moments during the NW hub days of talks of increased construction and terminal expansion, and they were wise to wait and see what happened. I doubt they have since lost their foresight in the years since and plan on building a bridge to nowhere.

Yes, anyone who doesn't agree with this is a troll. When Delta kept downsizing, so many kept saying to let Delta go because their high airfares are destroying Memphis (as if higher air fares originating/terminating from hub cities was something unique to Memphis) and that Delta's stronghold prevented competition. Let them go! Others will take their place...that's what they said, at least.

There are so many others parts of this city that are broken but once again, it's going to flush more money away on projects such as modernizing the airport terminal which will do absolutely nothing to drive additional demand at the airport. Oh and save the Greensward! That'll do it!

ScottB

Thu Aug 04, 2016 6:02 pm

WaywardMemphian wrote:

St. Jude might have the money to promote housing development near its campus (although I question the relevance to the stated charitable mission), but they won't get staff with school-aged children to live there unless/until the deep-rooted issues with the local schools are resolved. But whether the employees live in the city or suburbs, St. Jude does generate some air traffic demand, although not as much as other technology industries.

IAHWorldflyer wrote:
It's amazing to me that there is either no, or only small commuter service from MEM to STL, MSY, RDU, and BNA.

MEM-BNA is a drive market -- under three hours at current interstate speed limits. MEM-STL is on the edge of being a drive market, but the O&D traffic isn't large enough to support frequent enough point-to-point service to get people out of their cars. I have doubts as to whether MEM-MSY could work for any major carrier without the ability to connect traffic at MSY or MEM.

MaxxFlyer

Thu Aug 04, 2016 6:12 pm

IAHWorldflyer wrote:

As another poster said, I don't know anyone who would fly to Memphis from Nashville given it's 3 hours driving. The only reason there was BNA-MEM-BNA traffic in the past is when there were hubs on either end.

IAHWorldflyer

Thu Aug 04, 2016 6:39 pm

My comments on service to STL, MSY and BNA were modified by my previous sentence about WN expanding destinations out of MEM. WN has pretty major operations in both STL and BNA, so people could connect to other flights in those cities. MSY would seem to me to have economic ties to the Memphis region, but maybe neither of those two cities has enough economic activity to fill planes with business flyers.
BNA may only be 3 hours by car away, but it is the state capital. HOU-DAL is a bit over 3 hours driving time, but there are flights just about hourly between the 2 cities. There's also plenty of daily flights between Houston and San Antonio and Orlando and Miami. But I'll agree, other than if WN started the route and offered connections, there may not be enough O&D to make it work.

Cubsrule

Thu Aug 04, 2016 7:37 pm

IAHWorldflyer wrote:
My comments on service to STL, MSY and BNA were modified by my previous sentence about WN expanding destinations out of MEM. WN has pretty major operations in both STL and BNA, so people could connect to other flights in those cities. MSY would seem to me to have economic ties to the Memphis region, but maybe neither of those two cities has enough economic activity to fill planes with business flyers.
BNA may only be 3 hours by car away, but it is the state capital. HOU-DAL is a bit over 3 hours driving time, but there are flights just about hourly between the 2 cities. There's also plenty of daily flights between Houston and San Antonio and Orlando and Miami. But I'll agree, other than if WN started the route and offered connections, there may not be enough O&D to make it work.

Short of a cataclysmic wreck, there's not much traffic between MEM and BNA. And, for traffic to downtown, Williamson County, and other places, traffic to BNA is often not pretty. Also, keep in mind that Nashville and Memphis are a good bit smaller than most of the cities you list.

HOU-AUS might be a more interesting comparison with the capital angle, and it has lost a ton of service over the years.

WaywardMemphian
Topic Author

Fri Aug 05, 2016 4:31 am

St. Jude has bought the land with the idea of growth. That will allow them to find suitable developers to buy it from them and build stuff that suits St. Jude needs.

MEM has had 16 straight quarters of growth, up over 10% from last year. Right now, the majors are upgrading equipment to increase capacity but AA has gone 4 times daily during the week to DCA.

Anyhoo this is good news for Memphis as well as Tennessee. Good jobs and more of them/

http://www.commercialappeal.com/busines ... ?d=mobile#

william

Fri Aug 05, 2016 4:35 am

So what's the new concourse design? Still think it will a T like structure.

WaywardMemphian
Topic Author

Fri Aug 05, 2016 3:15 pm

They are saying late Aug or early Sept for the new revamped plans.

atypical

Fri Aug 05, 2016 4:59 pm

WaywardMemphian wrote:
geologyrocks wrote:

Generally a good indication of an airport(s) catchment is looking at Primary Statistical Areas. The PSA is primarily going to be a Combined Statistical Area however Metropolitan Statistical Areas not included in CSA are included. It is almost impossible to use the MSA population if it is part of a CSA when looking at an airport's catchment. For example the Riverside, CA MSA is slightly larger than the Detroit, MI MSA. Obviously the Riverside MSA is in a airport catchment not within the MSA's borders. Riverside is apart of the LA CSA which answers what airports are serving the area as a whole.

The CSA for Nashville is 1,912,819 and the CSA for Memphis is 1,370,129. The 2.4 million you are using is not valuable when comparing two areas because your is singular. I think if you applied the same methodology to Nashville you would probably still have the two areas with about the same proportional as you find with the CSAs. Please also note that a TV service audience is a dicey way to delineate an airport's catchment area. By using that metric you can make an argument that Dayton, Columbus, and Cincinnati would have catchments for airports that overlap to the point of becoming a meaningless distinction. These airports do overlap but television markets are not going to show a meaning indication of that overlap.

Cubsrule

Fri Aug 05, 2016 5:57 pm

atypical wrote:
The CSA for Nashville is 1,912,819 and the CSA for Memphis is 1,370,129. The 2.4 million you are using is not valuable when comparing two areas because your is singular. I think if you applied the same methodology to Nashville you would probably still have the two areas with about the same proportional as you find with the CSAs.

Yup, if not a little bit more disparate. The Nashville CSA does not include the Clarksville CSA or the Bowling Green CSA, about 400,000 people combined who use BNA virtually exclusively.

WaywardMemphian
Topic Author

Fri Aug 05, 2016 8:04 pm

atypical wrote:
WaywardMemphian wrote:
geologyrocks wrote:

Generally a good indication of an airport(s) catchment is looking at Primary Statistical Areas. The PSA is primarily going to be a Combined Statistical Area however Metropolitan Statistical Areas not included in CSA are included. It is almost impossible to use the MSA population if it is part of a CSA when looking at an airport's catchment. For example the Riverside, CA MSA is slightly larger than the Detroit, MI MSA. Obviously the Riverside MSA is in a airport catchment not within the MSA's borders. Riverside is apart of the LA CSA which answers what airports are serving the area as a whole.

The CSA for Nashville is 1,912,819 and the CSA for Memphis is 1,370,129. The 2.4 million you are using is not valuable when comparing two areas because your is singular. I think if you applied the same methodology to Nashville you would probably still have the two areas with about the same proportional as you find with the CSAs. Please also note that a TV service audience is a dicey way to delineate an airport's catchment area. By using that metric you can make an argument that Dayton, Columbus, and Cincinnati would have catchments for airports that overlap to the point of becoming a meaningless distinction. These airports do overlap but television markets are not going to show a meaning indication of that overlap.

Name me one commercial airport with more than EAS service in what is used to come up with the 2.4 million number. It 's completely different than those examples. It's completely different than my home in NWA. XNA is surrounded with other airports. Tulsa, Ft. Smith [same tv market there], Joplin, Springfield and even Branson with it's United connections now surround XNA no question mark markets in between.

Jonesboro Arkansas is not included in the CSA of Memphis nor is Oxford or Tupelo MS or Jackson TN You would have to include these markets as part of MEM's primary area. It reflects the actual market.

You folks can parse all you want about what Memphis needs and needs not do or build and I'll just post what they say they want to do, going to do and are currently doing.

I'll just hop on a Southwest flight to Chicago in late Sept to catch a Cubbies game with a friend back home for under 150 bucks R/T. That was Un effing think able 5 years ago.

Cubsrule

Fri Aug 05, 2016 9:12 pm

WaywardMemphian wrote:
Jonesboro Arkansas is not included in the CSA of Memphis nor is Oxford or Tupelo MS or Jackson TN You would have to include these markets as part of MEM's primary area. It reflects the actual market..

Jonesboro MSA: 125,000

Tupelo MSA: 135,000

Oxford MSA: 50,000

Jackson MSA: 165,000

Total: 375,000

Clarksville MSA: 280,000

Bowling Green MSA 165,000

Total: 445,000

This argument doesn't really help your case.