Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

FARmd90
Topic Author

jetBlue and New Markets

Wed Aug 03, 2016 8:15 pm

After B6 announced their new routes from LGB I was thinking how lackluster that was. I was hoping for more new markets rather then them just building on what they already have. Markets like DEN, PHX, ORD, DFW, BOS, JFK I though would of all been great adds for them rather then increasing frequency on SFO and LAS while opening SJC. After thinking about those routes I thought about if B6 would ever try winter ski destinations such as EGE, JAC, SBS from BOS, JFK, FLL and LGB? Just reading threads from A.net over the years these winter markets seem like popular destinations from a lot of B6's hubs and I think they could do well in these markets. AA, DL, UA all fly to EGE from NYC in the winter and AA also does so from MIA I believe. So why haven't we seen B6 try something like this even if it is Saturday only?

And also for just fun and good discussion say B6 did launch JFK-EGE would the 321 Mint planes have the performance for the route? Could the route even support that level of premium travel?
Also could we ever see B6 enter the Key West market? It would have to be from MCO or FLL due to the runway there, but if AirTran could try it with a 737 why not B6 with a 190.

SteveXC500

Re: jetBlue and New Markets

Wed Aug 03, 2016 8:22 pm

Still missing out on MSP.

DeltaRules

Wed Aug 03, 2016 8:50 pm

SteveXC500 wrote:

CMH would be real nice, too.
A310/319/320/321/333, ARJ, BN2, B717/722/73S/733/734/735/73G/738/739/744/757/753/767/763/764/777, CR1/2/7/9, DH6, 328, EM2/ERJ/E70/E75/E90, F28/100, J31, L10/12/15, DC9/D93/D94/D95/M80/M88/M90/D10, SF3, SST

thedetroitpole

Wed Aug 03, 2016 8:55 pm

Detroit has B6, but what we do not have is a direct flight to Orlando. I believe it is possible, others do not and I would love to have a discussion about it. B6 has growth potential in Detroit, increasing their Fort Lauderdale frequency, adding maybe twice daily New York-JFK, and beginning with once daily Orlando. Our Los Angeles market is fairly under served so Long Beach may not be far out of the question either, but who knows.

spinkid

Wed Aug 03, 2016 9:01 pm

DeltaRules wrote:
SteveXC500 wrote:

Tried and failed, but that was several years ago. I can see them returning one day

FARmd90
Topic Author

Wed Aug 03, 2016 9:07 pm

I agree with what everyone has said about DTW, CMH, and MSP. I would say that Jetblue still has a lot of easy low hanging fruit such as DTW-FL and ORD-FL. Before they have to get creative in the route planning department. And now that they have ordered somewhere around 30 A321s we will spatart to see some exciting new adds. But in the mean time how maxed out is the fleet at B6? Is that playing a part into this?

zippyjet

Wed Aug 03, 2016 9:44 pm

Several years ago the rumor mill had it Jet Blue would crack MIA. Is this still in the mix? I thought Spirit was going to MIA but haven't heard anything since. Still hope against hope we WN at least make a token presence. I know, FLL is our big ado in South Florida but if any LCC can be a David to the Goliath that is AA it's us. Just my 2 cents worth. And I'd like to see us make a go at Key West.
I'm Zippyjet & I approve this message!

southwest1675

Wed Aug 03, 2016 10:16 pm

I don't see why they couldn't go to STL.
Herb Kelleher 1931-2019

tomaheath

Wed Aug 03, 2016 10:34 pm

We are still waiting at MHT for them.

flyby519

Wed Aug 03, 2016 10:49 pm

FARmd90 wrote:
I agree with what everyone has said about DTW, CMH, and MSP. I would say that Jetblue still has a lot of easy low hanging fruit such as DTW-FL and ORD-FL. Before they have to get creative in the route planning department. And now that they have ordered somewhere around 30 A321s we will spatart to see some exciting new adds. But in the mean time how maxed out is the fleet at B6? Is that playing a part into this?

Current fleet is maxed out (at least during peak periods). I don't expect the adds this year to be exciting in terms of opening new cities, but I think there will be some surprising connect-the-dots type of routes announced.

aaflyer777

Wed Aug 03, 2016 10:55 pm

I think their next new destinations will be ATL and MSP, they're probably the biggest holes in their network. Only problem is they're gonna have to face the wrath of DL after they launch them.

lavalampluva

Wed Aug 03, 2016 11:20 pm

aaflyer777 wrote:
I think their next new destinations will be ATL and MSP, they're probably the biggest holes in their network. Only problem is they're gonna have to face the wrath of DL after they launch them.

BOS is sufficiently served from MSP with DL, SY, even NK is only seasonal. Maybe FLL might work, or JFK and LGB. But IMO, I think markets which are already served by SY might be tough in which to compete.
Remind me to send a thank you note to Mr. Boeing.

aaflyer777

Wed Aug 03, 2016 11:34 pm

lavalampluva wrote:
aaflyer777 wrote:

BOS is sufficiently served from MSP with DL, SY, even NK is only seasonal. Maybe FLL might work, or JFK and LGB. But IMO, I think markets which are already served by SY might be tough in which to compete.

Well if they're intention is to continue growing BOS they're gonna have to launch MSP at some point, its one of the larger markets they don't already serve ns from BOS. I don't think SY will be a problem for them either. I know they have a loyal following in the MSP area but they're a pretty small airline and I doubt they have much brand recognition outside of MSP. Its Delta they gotta watch, they threw a hissy fit when B6 launched BOS-DTW.

dfwjim1

Wed Aug 03, 2016 11:46 pm

I think DFW to FLL is a route B6 should start.

SurfandSnow

Thu Aug 04, 2016 12:43 am

FARmd90 wrote:
After B6 announced their new routes from LGB I was thinking how lackluster that was. I was hoping for more new markets rather then them just building on what they already have. Markets like DEN, PHX, ORD, DFW, BOS, JFK I though would of all been great adds for them rather then increasing frequency on SFO and LAS while opening SJC.

It really wasn't all that long ago when B6 ran LGB with that very mindset. B6 was the nation's hip airline, and they wanted to offer nonstop service to the sexiest destinations throughout the country from their Southern California hub - Austin, Bay Area, Boston, Chicago, DC, NYC, Seattle, South Florida and Vegas (yes, VX would have the exact same strategy from LAX a few years later). B6 quickly became a hit with the VFR and leisure travelers, but business travelers lamented the poor schedules and very limited network breadth. Even though B6 did an excellent job marketing not only its own brand but also the hassle-free LGB airport facility (even in Long Beach itself many people did not know of the airport before B6 came to town) to Southern Californians, yields sucked because the higher yielding types stuck with alternatives.

WN took a very different approach when building up operations at secondary airports in Greater Los Angeles. They focused all of their resources on the most popular short haul routes - primarily the "lackluster" Bay Area airports and LAS - offering competitive frequencies that truly appeal to business travelers. It seems like B6 is finally starting to realize that this is the best way to manage their LGB operation. WN has had to contend with very similar slot restrictions at SNA, and even they seem to struggle with the longer haul stuff like MDW, PDX, and SEA from there. Such services just aren't very competitive when you consider what is available on all airlines from all airports, while their flights to SJC and LAS are. You've got to make the most of what you have, and when you consider how few LGB slots B6 has, that means little more than a SFO shuttle operation (the frequency is still nowhere near what it should be) and LAS.

FARmd90 wrote:
B6 would ever try winter ski destinations such as EGE, JAC, SBS from BOS, JFK, FLL and LGB? Just reading threads from A.net over the years these winter markets seem like popular destinations from a lot of B6's hubs and I think they could do well in these markets. AA, DL, UA all fly to EGE from NYC in the winter and AA also does so from MIA I believe. So why haven't we seen B6 try something like this even if it is Saturday only? And also for just fun and good discussion say B6 did launch JFK-EGE would the 321 Mint planes have the performance for the route? Could the route even support that level of premium travel?

I've long wondered this myself, even suggesting that ski markets would be a great way to utilize LGB slots during the slower winter months. Seeing as how seasonal Mint service works to the Caribbean I have absolutely no doubt it could enjoy similar success to ski markets, but I too wonder if the B6 planes could actually get in and out with viable payloads.

FARmd90 wrote:
Also could we ever see B6 enter the Key West market? It would have to be from MCO or FLL due to the runway there, but if AirTran could try it with a 737 why not B6 with a 190.

Wasn't the real reason WN left EYW the incredibly poor customer experience? Apparently their 3x daily operation completely overwhelmed the airport, resulting in long security lines, no seats available past security, and planes waiting on the tarmac for the airline's sole aircraft parking position to open up. I believe there were frequent delays (and I'm sure, missed connections), although I think the airline could have done a lot better job with scheduling in the first place. We are talking about an airport that was never designed with mainline jet operations in mind, so I would imagine B6 would have a lot of the same issues WN did. Apparently B6 did consider service to EYW as WN was pulling out - they probably figured it just wasn't worth the risk/hassle.

http://keysnews.com/node/55060
Flying in the middle seat of coach is much better than not flying at all!

zrs70

Thu Aug 04, 2016 12:55 am

With places like ACK/MVA/HYA from BOS, I can see seasonal flights to Bar Harbor.
20 year airliners.net vet! 2000-2020

MKE22

Thu Aug 04, 2016 1:10 am

MKE could use MKE-FLL, BOS (maybe run DL out) and LGB as an alternative to WN LAX service.

Outside shots would be MCO (F9 re-entering market and DL/WN are there), JFK (DL failed, but a new brand could be a different game), seasonal SJU (doubtful, but would be cool to see). Just spit balling, would like to see more Midwest US service in general, like MSP, CMH, STL, CVG, etc. There is hope with CLE and DET being on the map.

DeltaRules

Thu Aug 04, 2016 4:22 am

You're right about their having lots of large, populated holes in flyover country. IND, too.

spinkid wrote:
DeltaRules wrote:
SteveXC500 wrote:

Tried and failed, but that was several years ago. I can see them returning one day

They left due to the combination of Skybus and the slowing economy, leaving at the same time as they left the now-restarted BNA (and, IIRC, at a point when PIT almost lost B6). If they'd have ridden it out a couple more months, Skybus would've been out of the picture.
A310/319/320/321/333, ARJ, BN2, B717/722/73S/733/734/735/73G/738/739/744/757/753/767/763/764/777, CR1/2/7/9, DH6, 328, EM2/ERJ/E70/E75/E90, F28/100, J31, L10/12/15, DC9/D93/D94/D95/M80/M88/M90/D10, SF3, SST

rbavfan

Thu Aug 04, 2016 4:41 am

FARmd90 wrote:
After B6 announced their new routes from LGB I was thinking how lackluster that was. I was hoping for more new markets rather then them just building on what they already have. Markets like DEN, PHX, ORD, DFW, BOS, JFK I though would of all been great adds for them rather then increasing frequency on SFO and LAS while opening SJC. After thinking about those routes I thought about if B6 would ever try winter ski destinations such as EGE, JAC, SBS from BOS, JFK, FLL and LGB? Just reading threads from A.net over the years these winter markets seem like popular destinations from a lot of B6's hubs and I think they could do well in these markets. AA, DL, UA all fly to EGE from NYC in the winter and AA also does so from MIA I believe. So why haven't we seen B6 try something like this even if it is Saturday only?

And also for just fun and good discussion say B6 did launch JFK-EGE would the 321 Mint planes have the performance for the route? Could the route even support that level of premium travel?

JFK-EGE would probably not be able to be done with the A319/737-700 due to range & runway limits. Most flights to Vail are short hops from DEN/SLC

rbavfan

Thu Aug 04, 2016 4:48 am

WN left Key west due to too few flights per day to meet the operational standards for southwest. They already were at a limit on planes at one time at the airport & could not expand enough to keep it.

izbtmnhd

Thu Aug 04, 2016 1:47 pm

spinkid wrote:
DeltaRules wrote:
SteveXC500 wrote:

B6 could have restarted CMH but instead choose to establish CLE/DTW. I certainly could be wrong but I don't see CMH coming down the pike for a while. Expansion of CLE/DTW are more likely.
Last edited by izbtmnhd on Thu Aug 04, 2016 1:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

thedetroitpole

Thu Aug 04, 2016 1:49 pm

izbtmnhd wrote:
spinkid wrote:
DeltaRules wrote:

And now B6 is already established at CLE. I certainly could be wrong but I don't see CMH coming down the pike for a while. Expansion of DTW and CLE are more likely.

I can almost bet the next expansion for Detroit and Cleveland will be Orlando and/or New York-JFK.

MIflyer12

Thu Aug 04, 2016 3:23 pm

thedetroitpole wrote:

I can almost bet the next expansion for Detroit and Cleveland will be Orlando and/or New York-JFK.

Maybe. But DTW-MCO has DL with frequency, amenities, and the DTW hub; it has both Spirit and Frontier for bare fares. I'm not sure DTW-MCO is big enough for four carriers, nor where B6 fits into the competitive matrix. Even Southwest doesn't fly DTW-MCO, and WN is the biggest domestic carrier by far at MCO.

AAlaxfan

Thu Aug 04, 2016 5:37 pm

IMHO B6 needs to add a presence in the mid-west (MN, IA, MO, OK, and WI). Places like MSP, DSM, STL/MCI, OKC and MKE could use service to both coasts and southern FL. Maybe not all of them, say MSP and MCI only, but they need SOMETHING in the middle of the map.

And yes, I would add a LA-MKE. (It's the route I fly most often and would like to see nonstop on something other than WN).
Grumpy. Not a dwarf, not an attitude. It's a lifestyle.

FARmd90
Topic Author

Thu Aug 04, 2016 6:09 pm

I think it can all be agreed on that jetBlue needs to add something into the middle of the country. I think a LA-MKE would have a good chance on B6 if they already flew to the middle of the country, they already offer a BUF-LAX flight so I don't think a MKE-LA would be to far fetched for them but not now.

As to what was posted above about WN pulling out of EYW mostly due to a bad passenger experience with seating, no gate and long lines. I think a 190 would be much better suited for that airport and B6 wouldn't experience those same problems. I mean after all B6 likes to go after the markets that suffer from high over priced airfare with little completion and EYW seems like a good fit for them. And the winter markets that I mentioned at the beginning of this thread, I think would of done great from LGB on a seasonal bases. and also from east coast markets.

masseybrown

Thu Aug 04, 2016 7:27 pm

thedetroitpole wrote:

In CLE's case, FLL could actually become as much a business route as tourist. Inter-hospital treatment and research programs continue to develop between the Cleveland Clinic operations at both ends of the route. I think a second CLE-FLL frequency might come ahead of a new city.

jetmatt777

Thu Aug 04, 2016 8:09 pm

AAlaxfan wrote:
IMHO B6 needs to add a presence in the mid-west (MN, IA, MO, OK, and WI). Places like MSP, DSM, STL/MCI, OKC and MKE could use service to both coasts and southern FL. Maybe not all of them, say MSP and MCI only, but they need SOMETHING in the middle of the map.

And yes, I would add a LA-MKE. (It's the route I fly most often and would like to see nonstop on something other than WN).

Not that I wouldn't like to see OKC, but OKC is pretty well served to the coasts.

SEA: AS
SFO: UA
LAX: UA AA
LAS: WN G4

EWR: UA
IAD: UA
BWI: WN
SFB: G4

I could see JFK and FLL, but that's probably the only place with room for B6. Other areas of the country pretty well served all ready.

usflyer123

Thu Aug 04, 2016 8:34 pm

i wonder if they will operate DUB-BOS ever...
also MCI-JFK/BOS will do great(maybe also MCO,TPA and FLL).
for most people the sky is the limit. for those who love aviation, the sky is home...

phxsanslcpdx

Thu Aug 04, 2016 8:46 pm

FARmd90 wrote:
B6 would ever try winter ski destinations such as EGE, JAC, SBS from BOS, JFK, FLL and LGB? Just reading threads from A.net over the years these winter markets seem like popular destinations from a lot of B6's hubs and I think they could do well in these markets. AA, DL, UA all fly to EGE from NYC in the winter and AA also does so from MIA I believe. So why haven't we seen B6 try something like this even if it is Saturday only? And also for just fun and good discussion say B6 did launch JFK-EGE would the 321 Mint planes have the performance for the route? Could the route even support that level of premium travel?

I've long wondered this myself, even suggesting that ski markets would be a great way to utilize LGB slots during the slower winter months. Seeing as how seasonal Mint service works to the Caribbean I have absolutely no doubt it could enjoy similar success to ski markets, but I too wonder if the B6 planes could actually get in and out with viable payloads.[/quote]

I doubt there's enough O&D demand to fetch decent prices from LGB or FLL. All that competition from AA, DL, and UA on the NYC-ski destination routes keeps prices capped, and jetBlue likely realizes that if they enter, it would just drive prices lower. SBS definitely can't handle big planes, and there's competition from UA at HDN. And no, I don't believe there's enough premium demand on for EGE to justify a Mint plane. ASE is a much more premium-focused market, and there's no East Coast competition... but can it handle B6 jets? Similarly, GUC seems like a potentially promising destination without competition from JFK or Boston, but again, can it handle E190s traveling that far?

I think a big challenge for all ski routes from the east coast is that bargain shoppers can usually find amazingly low fares to DEN, so it's tough to fill a plane heading anywhere else. For those willing to pay a premium and looking for adventure, BOS and JFK offer many nonstops to European hubs near good skiing, and at prices that are generally in line with what B6 would likely need to charge to turn a profit in the Rockies.

flyby519

Thu Aug 04, 2016 9:04 pm

usflyer123 wrote:
i wonder if they will operate DUB-BOS ever...
also MCI-JFK/BOS will do great(maybe also MCO,TPA and FLL).

I'd bet on DUB before MCI

thedetroitpole

Fri Aug 05, 2016 12:48 pm

MIflyer12 wrote:
thedetroitpole wrote:

Maybe. But DTW-MCO has DL with frequency, amenities, and the DTW hub; it has both Spirit and Frontier for bare fares. I'm not sure DTW-MCO is big enough for four carriers, nor where B6 fits into the competitive matrix. Even Southwest doesn't fly DTW-MCO, and WN is the biggest domestic carrier by far at MCO.

It is one of those route where it has a lot of PROS and a lot of CONS. This would be interesting to see, some think it can work, but for others, they think it is catastrophic. Than there is a large percentage that are in the middle, both sides provide a strong case. We shall see what the results are someday.

jfklganyc

Fri Aug 05, 2016 1:40 pm

I also second MCI.

Not sure why they havent looked at this yet.

0 flights to JFK
3 flights to EWR
RJs to LGA

WN runs a daily MCI flight to LGA that is always full. Once daily to JFK and or BOS would do well in this market where trips routinely cost $600.

Polot

Fri Aug 05, 2016 1:46 pm

jfklganyc wrote:
I also second MCI.

0 flights to JFK
3 flights to EWR
RJs to LGA

WN runs a daily MCI flight to LGA that is always full. Once daily to JFK and or BOS would do well in this market where trips routinely cost $600.

Because local traffic prefers LGA and lacking their own transatlantic network and dependent on partner airlines BOS and JFK are both terribly located for connecting B6 pax to/from MCI.

FLIHGH

Fri Aug 05, 2016 2:46 pm

jfklganyc wrote:
I also second MCI.

0 flights to JFK
3 flights to EWR
RJs to LGA

I can guarantee they have looked at MCI. They have a dedicated team for route planning, etc, that is continuously analyzing both current, future, and possible markets. Go Mets.

FlyingJhawk

Fri Aug 05, 2016 2:57 pm

jfklganyc wrote:
I also second MCI.

0 flights to JFK
3 flights to EWR
RJs to LGA

As my home airport I'll third the suggestion but the RJ issue isn't the issue as long as it not a CRJ. AS flies PDX/MCI. There are ERJs on the LAX and SFO/MCI route. They are comfortable enough for me.

No flights to JFK is a good reason and while WN flies daily non-stops to BOS the cheapest round trip published far is $500.

thedetroitpole

Mon Aug 08, 2016 1:19 pm

The thing about B6 doing the DTW to MCO route is a big speculation amongst all. Some are in favor, some are not in favor, and some can not determine a situation. It's generally a low yield route, but what B6 has done with the BOS and FLL routes, it could be a good impact on the MCO route. For example, JetBlue would begin MCO, the route will very likely be most or all O&D. Spirit and Frontier offer one-way prices as low as $49. JetBlue offers one-way fares as low as $75, and Delta can price accordingly. Sure, Delta would price one or two flights the same if not a tad bit more than a B6 one-way, it would be on their busiest O&D flights. The market would become easier for local passengers on both ends.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos