Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

KTPAFlyer
Topic Author

Why the hell is MCO so spotter unfriendly?

Sat Aug 06, 2016 4:03 am

I have two questions about MCO:

First, how come AS has a flight from MCO to SAN (and by extension, why DCA-LAX?)

Second, and more importantly, what on earth is wrong with MCO's airport authority? Sorry, I don't want to rant here, but outside of JFK and DXB, MCO is the only airport that comes to mind that ACTIVELY discourages photography. I find this ridiculous, as many major airports have no problem with it, and some even encourage it: TPA, MIA, ATL, ORD, DFW, IAH, LAX, SFO, SEA, DCA, MSP, YVR, YYC, YYZ, MAN, FRA, SYD, NRT, ie. the list goes on. I bring this issue to light because I saw a post on ajuriga's Instagram (Great page btw) regarding a cease and desist letter of sorts, laid out below:

flyajj "So I heard horror stories about Orlando and their attitude toward pictures but I've never had a problem so I didn't think anything of it. Well that ended today when the Airport Authority informed my manager that if I post anymore pictures they will suspend my badge. Never a warning, never shown a rule, just this out of the blue. Should have stayed in freaking Tampa.
So for the time being my content will be strictly outside the fence. I wish they were more like the great people at Tampa."

https://www.instagram.com/p/BIwB3CGh3yY/

I almost can't believe MCO here. Where do I start? I mean c'mon, this guy is working on your ramp, and he has all the necessary security clearances, evidently because you hired him, otherwise you wouldn't trust them to begin with! I don't get where this crap is coming from about MCO's security bluff, as somebody rightly points out in the comments, when MCO posts a pic on its own Instagram, there is no problem with it! I for one will now be out spotting at MCO more frequently, and if I am asked about it, I am going to have some strong words for the person in charge of this. They have no excuse, and I urge fellow A.netters to make MCO aware of this. All contributations appreciated, thank you.
Last edited by KTPAFlyer on Sat Sep 17, 2016 9:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

A388

Re: Why the hell is MCO so spotter unfriendly?

Sat Aug 06, 2016 4:34 am

I'm a spotter as well working at the airport too but a small airport though. Based on the quotes this person took pictures from the ramp which is air side. Most airports you mention of being friendly are friendly when you take pictures outside the fences. Taking pictures from the ramp won't be tolerated by many spotter friendly airports either especially if you do that without informing anyone about this. The reason is simple ramp areas are not public areas but secured areas. So I totally understand this person is warned. Could the authorities have handled this in a more friendly way? Probably. Are they in their full right to do what they did? Yes, they are. Air side rules are (very) strict based on international and national regulations.

A388

ChristopherS

Sat Aug 06, 2016 4:38 am

After 9/11 everybody believes that if anybody does anything out of the norm to an airliner, it'll explode. Not all airports are that agresive against spotters, but it's obvious that it's frowned upon. My local airport is SFO, and to get any good views, you'd need to drive several miles out, and that allows you views of the approach more then the landing. My dad says that before there was an observation tower, and the walls around the airport weren't obstructing of the view, but like every airport that changed after 9/11.
319, 320, 738, MD80

KTPAFlyer
Topic Author

Sat Aug 06, 2016 4:57 am

A388 wrote:
I'm a spotter as well working at the airport too but a small airport though. Based on the quotes this person took pictures from the ramp which is air side. Most airports you mention of being friendly are friendly when you take pictures outside the fences. Taking pictures from the ramp won't be tolerated by many spotter friendly airports either especially if you do that without informing anyone about this. The reason is simple ramp areas are not public areas but secured areas. So I totally understand this person is warned. Could the authorities have handled this in a more friendly way? Probably. Are they in their full right to do what they did? Yes, they are. Air side rules are (very) strict based on international and national regulations.

A388

Where I take issue with this is that taking photos does not in any way, shape, or form jeapordize safety. Even the most uptight airports, such as JFK and LHR do not bother rampers who take pics on their airside. If I were to point blank ask how it poses a problem, MCO cannot give me a legitimate reason to think otherwise.

coolian2

A388 wrote:
The reason is simple ramp areas are not public areas but secured areas.

If I can see it and take a photo of it from the terminal, that suggestion and concern is borderline insane.
Q300/ATR72-600/737-200/-300/-400/-700/-800/A320/767-200/-300/757-200/777-300ER/
747-200/-300/-400/ER/A340-300/A380-800/MD-83/-88/CRJ-700/-900

767333ER

Interesting you say this because I was there just about two weeks ago now and didn't notice anything of the sort. I even say people taking pictures. I have heard things about MCO though, so I do believe it.

Funny you mention YYC because there has been lots of trouble there lately. They were just recently telling spotters to leave airport property. There was one instance where a man was told to get lost so he asked why. They claimed that the tower reported them as being suspicious so the man goes to the spotters page on Facebook and asks people from tower on there if they actually report people like that and they said no.
Been on: 732 733 734 73G 738 752 763 A319 A320 A321 CRJ CR7 CRA/CR9 E145 E175 E190 F28 MD-82 MD-83 C172R C172S P2006T PA-28-180

2 ears for spatial hearing, 2 eyes for depth perception, 2 ears for balance... How did Boeing think 1 sensor was good enough?!

KTPAFlyer
Topic Author

Sat Aug 06, 2016 5:02 am

ChristopherS wrote:
After 9/11 everybody believes that if anybody does anything out of the norm to an airliner, it'll explode. Not all airports are that agresive against spotters, but it's obvious that it's frowned upon. My local airport is SFO, and to get any good views, you'd need to drive several miles out, and that allows you views of the approach more then the landing. My dad says that before there was an observation tower, and the walls around the airport weren't obstructing of the view, but like every airport that changed after 9/11.

You have a valid point, but while they may have obstructed the view, this was some time ago, and they have changed and adapted by coming to the realization that taking photos does not present an issue, and are now a much better airport for spotting, and are actually one of the airports that encourages it!

http://www.flysfo.com/content/plane-spotting-event-sfo

Armodeen

Sat Aug 06, 2016 5:03 am

Hmm. Do they harass you if you are taking pictures outside the fence? I am going soon and was hoping to do a little spotting. Is there somewhere to get good views of aircraft on short final?

KTPAFlyer
Topic Author

Sat Aug 06, 2016 5:08 am

767333ER wrote:
Interesting you say this because I was there just about two weeks ago now and didn't notice anything of the sort. I even say people taking pictures. I have heard things about MCO though, so I do believe it.

Funny you mention YYC because there has been lots of trouble there lately. They were just recently telling spotters to leave airport property. There was one instance where a man was told to get lost so he asked why. They claimed that the tower reported them as being suspicious so the man goes to the spotters page on Facebook and asks people from tower on there if they actually report people like that and they said no.

I visited YYC about 3 months ago and had no problems, so let's hope that this was a one off incident with somebody who was having a bad morning. Is this a frequent occurrence now? Hopefully the FB post was able to put the patrol back in their line of duty.

crownvic

Sat Aug 06, 2016 5:12 am

I give ACY the worst spotter friendly airport. Last year, I was taking a picture from the road of the "gate guard" aircraft on display (F-16, F106). From the guard entry booth, two armed National Guard service people rapidly approached me with their fingers on the trigger of their assault rifles aggressively telling me to stop taking pictures of these aircraft. I told them both, they were highly overreacting and of course I had to hear all about 9/11 and everything else. I was with my two kids and I was wearing shorts and a T-Shirt with a camera in my hand. Hardly a security threat. My last words to them were, I highly suggest they remove the aircraft from display, if they don't want people taking pictures, or erect a sign forbidding photography. I considered filing a complaint, but knew this would be a complete waste of my time.

KTPAFlyer
Topic Author

Sat Aug 06, 2016 5:13 am

Armodeen wrote:
Hmm. Do they harass you if you are taking pictures outside the fence? I am going soon and was hoping to do a little spotting. Is there somewhere to get good views of aircraft on short final?

Yeah, I'll make no secret of the fact that anywhere (including the airside now) at MCO is a bad idea, and if anything, I suggest TPA/MIA instead, but somebody has to tell MCO what their rights are, and I'll do it myself if I have to. If you head over to TPA, the bowling alley or Cypress Park are excellent for arrivals depending on the runway, and the holes at MIA are fantastic.

KTPAFlyer
Topic Author

Sat Aug 06, 2016 5:15 am

crownvic wrote:
I give ACY the worst spotter friendly airport. Last year, I was taking a picture from the road of the "gate guard" aircraft on display (F-16, F106). From the guard entry booth, two armed National Guard service people rapidly approached me with their fingers on the trigger of their assault rifles aggressively telling me to stop taking pictures of these aircraft. I told them both, they were highly overreacting and of course I had to hear all about 9/11 and everything else. I was with my two kids and I was wearing shorts and a T-Shirt with a camera in my hand. Hardly a security threat. My last words to them were, I highly suggest they remove the aircraft from display, if they don't want people taking pictures, or erect a sign forbidding photography. I considered filing a complaint, but knew this would be a complete waste of my time.

We need more people like you. Thanks for taking a stand!

767333ER

Sat Aug 06, 2016 5:19 am

KTPAFlyer wrote:
767333ER wrote:

I visited YYC about 3 months ago and had no problems, so let's hope that this was a one off incident with somebody who was having a bad morning. Is this a frequent occurrence now? Hopefully the FB post was able to put the patrol back in their line of duty.

I haven't been anywhere near the place after the day I got of an A320 there nearly two weeks ago. I don't really know what's going on, but no one is really taking pictures from the usual spots so I suspect there is still some issue. I might be wrong.
Been on: 732 733 734 73G 738 752 763 A319 A320 A321 CRJ CR7 CRA/CR9 E145 E175 E190 F28 MD-82 MD-83 C172R C172S P2006T PA-28-180

2 ears for spatial hearing, 2 eyes for depth perception, 2 ears for balance... How did Boeing think 1 sensor was good enough?!

CITRUS737ROC

Sat Aug 06, 2016 5:19 am

MCO does have a spotter program that allows you to access just about anywhere on their property. I sign the form everytime I spot up there to protect myself from the airport PD. The staff is very helpful with the filing of the paperwork and usually complete it within minutes. I understand that the photography from the parking garage may not be the best but having that paper is the best thing to access. The paper can be retrieved by going to the GOAA office in the main terminal by the east end. I think that you can also access the airsides with the paper but you would have to ask the folks there if airside photos are possible.

Hope this helps!

Cheers:
Brian

KTPAFlyer
Topic Author

Sat Aug 06, 2016 5:30 am

CITRUS737ROC wrote:
MCO does have a spotter program that allows you to access just about anywhere on their property. I sign the form everytime I spot up there to protect myself from the airport PD. The staff is very helpful with the filing of the paperwork and usually complete it within minutes. I understand that the photography from the parking garage may not be the best but having that paper is the best thing to access. The paper can be retrieved by going to the GOAA office in the main terminal by the east end. I think that you can also access the airsides with the paper but you would have to ask the folks there if airside photos are possible.

Hope this helps!

Cheers:
Brian

It's great if they have such a program, but it must be worth vaporware if somebody whose actual job is on the airside gets hassle from GOAA. I would be interested to try it though, can you provide the link? Additionally, I can't name a single airport (other than MCO of course) that lays this requirement. At most airports, as long as you're not jumping the fence and doing anything crazy, needing paperwork to take some cool pictures is virtually a non starter.

727LOVER

Sat Aug 06, 2016 5:58 am

I have to laugh a little....it's 2016 and you're just finding out now that TPA is pretty friendly and MCO is not. A few of us having been screaming this for years. By the way, you think MCO is bad, try going northward up to SFB,,,,now they actually have a sign that says no photography. Now that that redneck Larry Dale is gone, maybe it's better.

CITRUS737ROC wrote:

Hope this helps!

Cheers:
Brian

My understanding is that is only good for the garage...is more or less a waste of time.

MCO is not that bad. There's ample spots. It's certainly better than JAX, TLH or MLB

By the way, you CAN be hassled at TPA, I have been.

And here's a great example of spotter getting aggressive with the cops
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=921273&p=12489625&hilit=TPA#p12489625
"We must accept finite disappointment, but never lose infinite hope." - Martin Luther King, Jr.

KTPAFlyer
Topic Author

Sat Aug 06, 2016 6:11 am

727LOVER wrote:
I have to laugh a little....it's 2016 and you're just finding out now that TPA is pretty friendly and MCO is not. A few of us having been screaming this for years. By the way, you think MCO is bad, try going northward up to SFB,,,,now they actually have a sign that says no photography. Now that that redneck Larry Dale is gone, maybe it's better.

I've spotted at TPA for about 6 yrs, and am aware of MCO's notoriety, but never really made an issue of it until I saw this ramp incident. This was eye opening, because it shows the level of ridiculousness that MCO's paranoia has reached in not even being able to allow their own airside ops to take some pics! I could understand maybe they don't want civilians near the perimeter, fine. But what ajuriga mentions is something I've yet to see anywhere else. Additionally, I also know about SFB, but they have mostly Allegiant so it's not worth the hassle.

len90

Sat Aug 06, 2016 2:07 pm

MCO is far from being the worst. I have only spotted from inside the terminal. I've talked with airport officials and their exact statement was feel free to take as many pictures in the main terminal building as well as in the airsides. Just please do not take any pictures of the TSA checkpoint.

As for the outside perimeter, I've never done it but it looks like there could be some places to spot.

If you want unfriendly, I would highly suggest EWR. In there I have even had issues taking pictures of the planes outside the terminal windows.
Len90

777PHX

Sat Aug 06, 2016 6:04 pm

crownvic wrote:

The military is a bit different than civilian aviation and those MPs are given a lot of latitude on what they can do versus civilian law enforcement. I would not make a habit of pissing off military gate guards. They do not serve the public community and they do not have to be nice to you.

You might think you're harmless, but all they see is a guy coming up to the entrance of their base that they're tasked to secure, taking pictures.

nkops

Sat Aug 06, 2016 10:02 pm

crownvic wrote:

To be fair, that has nothing to do with the airport or airport authority, that is completely the ANG security.
Turn left heading 080 contact departure

altbg

Sun Aug 07, 2016 2:34 am

KTPAFlyer wrote:
ChristopherS wrote:
You have a valid point, but while they may have obstructed the view, this was some time ago, and they have changed and adapted by coming to the realization that taking photos does not present an issue, and are now a much better airport for spotting, and are actually one of the airports that encourages it!

http://www.flysfo.com/content/plane-spotting-event-sfo

Well, I've had a cop chase me from the Airtrain station at T2 all the way down into T3 and asked me questions about what I was doing. There was a second cop up at the mezzanine level watching us and eventually telling him to let me go. My first run-in with cops at an airport. Apparently someone called them because I was spotting up at the train station.

Thanks for posting that link by the way. I had no idea SFO was doing a monthly event! How long has this been going on?

teneriffe77

Sun Aug 07, 2016 2:45 am

I've never had any problems watching the action from the garage (heck i've seen some employees smoking up there). I think the key is at any airport is to stay out of the way and look as inconspicuous as possible. I tend to take some very good pics w/ my IPhone and that doesn't get the attention of the cops. At my home airport of SYR the cellphone/observation lot has great views of the main runway and sometimes gets some interesting lanes like last week when a 752 based at McQuire AFB did some touch and goes

A388

Sun Aug 07, 2016 2:52 am

coolian2 wrote:
A388 wrote:

If I can see it and take a photo of it from the terminal, that suggestion and concern is borderline insane.

When you take pictures of aircraft from the ramp you are able to take pictures of much more areas and/or angles that airport authorities don't like. From a terminal building as a passenger you don't see much of the activities on the ramp so that in most cases isn't a problem and even then I was some times asked what I was doing when taking pictures as a passenger.

So again I know what all of you mean and I agree with you because I'm a spotter too. I'm just telling what my experience is and how I think the authorities are thinking of people taking pictures at an airport. Airport authorities just don't know what the intentions are of people taking pictures at airports, especially air side pictures.

A388

Dominion301

Sun Aug 07, 2016 3:07 am

It's sad to hear about all of these cops or airport staff harassing spotters thinking they're know-it-all big shots who in reality are clueless about the regs thinking they can make up their own rules on the "fly".

Here at YOW, I have to give the Airport Authority props for embracing spotters as security partners via the YOW Airport Watch program. It's fantastic quite frankly..now all we need is for the Airport Authority to attract a couple of international airlines to the mix to make the spotting a lot more interesting. But at least we get all the VIP visitors being Canada's Capital. Heck I heard stories of the cops at YOW giving photographers the a-ok to photograph AF1 when Obama was in town a few weeks ago as soon as he had vacated the airport.

coolian2

Sun Aug 07, 2016 3:40 am

A388 wrote:
coolian2 wrote:
A388 wrote:

When you take pictures of aircraft from the ramp you are able to take pictures of much more areas and/or angles that airport authorities don't like. From a terminal building as a passenger you don't see much of the activities on the ramp so that in most cases isn't a problem and even then I was some times asked what I was doing when taking pictures as a passenger.

So again I know what all of you mean and I agree with you because I'm a spotter too. I'm just telling what my experience is and how I think the authorities are thinking of people taking pictures at an airport. Airport authorities just don't know what the intentions are of people taking pictures at airports, especially air side pictures.

A388

I agree with you, but fingers crossed you think it's a dumb as I do.
Q300/ATR72-600/737-200/-300/-400/-700/-800/A320/767-200/-300/757-200/777-300ER/
747-200/-300/-400/ER/A340-300/A380-800/MD-83/-88/CRJ-700/-900

CALTECH

Sun Aug 07, 2016 3:44 am

KTPAFlyer wrote:
I almost can't believe MCO here. Where do I start? I mean c'mon, this guy is working on your ramp, and he has all the necessary security clearances, evidently because you hired him, otherwise you wouldn't trust them to begin with!

767333ER wrote:

Have worked at MCO since the very early 1990s. Never heard of this 'problem' and have taken hundreds of pictures on the ramp. Even had a GOAA Airside Ops guy drive up and enjoy a sunset that everybody went out on the ramp to photograph along with me. He even photographed the sunset. A few of us even have a contest of who could take the best sunset photos. Been out where the tower could see me taking pictures, never had a problem. At the security checkpoints to get on the airside, they do have signs that photos and cell phones are not to be used at the checkpoint. There are some insane policies going through security, but I will not get specific about those.

When there was a Continental 727 landing with a MLG not down and locked and a MD-80 landing with the MLG doors extended, took a load of photos. And GOAA was all over the place. Photos are also taken of aircraft to show any damage that occurs on the aircraft, in front of GOAA.

You are here.

cotparampguy

Sun Aug 07, 2016 4:21 am

A388 wrote:

A388

I am the owner of said account and I was never given a warning. I worked in Tampa and I was allowed to take pictures whenever I wanted and was given ride alongs by the airport ops folks there. I have never and will never show any sensitive material or even security related issues, these are literally close ups of tails or random planes landing or taking off. I still haven't been showed the rule against photography but since I need my badge to work, I will have to refrain from taking pictures here.

crownvic

Sun Aug 07, 2016 5:55 am

777PHX wrote:
crownvic wrote:

The military is a bit different than civilian aviation and those MPs are given a lot of latitude on what they can do versus civilian law enforcement. I would not make a habit of pissing off military gate guards. They do not serve the public community and they do not have to be nice to you.

You might think you're harmless, but all they see is a guy coming up to the entrance of their base that they're tasked to secure, taking pictures.

Oh please. Your reaction is as bad as theirs. "Make a habit of pissing off military gate guards". It was an isolated incident and I was in and out of there in just a few minutes. I was not on a mission to piss anyone off. I was on a public road and not on military property. I was at least 30 feet from the gate entrance and walking parallel to it as anyone walking in this area would be doing and not approaching it. When a vehicle approaches the gate, I don't see them getting all excited and that car can do a lot more harm, than a person wearing shorts, T-Shirt and sandals and a camera in hand. I highly doubt I am the only person that has wanted to take pictures of these aircraft. Again, if it is that much of a problem, then erect a sign or move the damn things!

Fastphilly

Sun Aug 07, 2016 7:51 am

ChristopherS wrote:

Hmm, I don't recall a observation tower and I've been spotting there since the late 70's. I do remember a parking lot right beside runway 1R that was closed after 9/11. But the OP saying SFO encourages plane spotters and photography is a bit of a stretch.

DLX737200

Sun Aug 07, 2016 11:34 am

I worked the ramp at MCO from 2006-2007. I've been doing photography since 2003 and I was harassed so many times outside the fence at MCO. So when I started working the ramp, I knew if I went too crazy with the photos online, it could affect my employment. The airport can't do much to a regular civilian outside the fence other than kick them out. But if they hate photographers this much, why wouldn't they want to stop badged employees from taking photos, too? And with badged employees, they have much more control over them. I always thought this would be me some day. What's stopping them from shutting off a badge? It doesn't hurt GOAA at all and it will motivate the employee to stop. Social media wasn't what it is today when I worked there but I did upload a lot of photos to Airliners.net. I know GOAA did or may still monitor this website considering old forum posts about MCO spotting spots that would magically have "No Parking" signs put up in that spot weeks later.

One suggestion to airport workers, it would be wise to disguise your real name if you're going to use your access to photograph airplanes. Most airports don't care, except MCO, but your employer might. I know if I were a station manager for an airline, I would be a little upset if my employees were spending a lot of their shift, or company resources (Tugs, gas, etc) running around the ramps and airsides to get photos of airplanes on company time. You're there to work and do a job. Now if you have downtime or do this on your lunch break, that's a different story.

Best of luck to you all in Orlando. That was such a fun airport to work at but a shame such terrible people run it.

crownvic

Sun Aug 07, 2016 1:51 pm

Not sure what all the fuss about MCO here is....Some of the best spotting I have ever done recentley is at MCO..Im also hoping divluging the location doesnt bring out the photographers in groups and alert the assholes at GOAA as it is the best kept secret. The south exit parking lot is a short term lot and cell lot..They allow 2 hrs free parking and you drive right up to the taxiiway for 17R 35L and it offers some of the best unobstructed viewing I have ever seen at any airport. Better than MIA 9R by 94th Aero Squadron.

When they are using a North operation the planes taxi right in front of you...I shot 5 Virgin 747's last week at the gate all at the same time and every one of them taxiied right in front of me...Also caught 3 Thomas Cook A330's, LH 744, 2 BA 777's and a TAM 777 all within an hour..

Like I said anyone can use it, but it will only be a matter of time before GOAA spots a group of photographers and shuts it down..My recommendation is be discrete and dont ruin it for everyone else!

Beatyair

Sun Aug 07, 2016 2:07 pm

Some airports have got smart enough to add parks where people can watch the planes come in. Airport should get with the times, find out where the best place to spot is, and make it a spotting zone. This way the airport can(somewhat) control the situation.

EA CO AS

Sun Aug 07, 2016 2:28 pm

KTPAFlyer wrote:
I have two questions about MCO:

First, how come AS has a flight from MCO to SAN (and by extension, why DCA-LAX?)

Because they have substantial operations in both LAX and SAN, and both flights make money?

KTPAFlyer wrote:
Second, and more importantly, what on earth is wrong with MCO's airport authority? Sorry, I don't want to rant here, but outside of JFK and DXB, MCO is the only airport that comes to mind that ACTIVELY discourages photography. I find this ridiculous, as many major airports have no problem with it, and some even encourage it: TPA, MIA, ATL, ORD, DFW, IAH, LAX, SFO, SEA, DCA, MSP, YVR, YYC, YYZ, MAN, FRA, SYD, NRT, ie. the list goes on. I bring this issue to light because I saw a post on ajuriga's Instagram (Great page btw) regarding a cease and desist letter of sorts, laid out below:

flyajj "So I heard horror stories about Orlando and their attitude toward pictures but I've never had a problem so I didn't think anything of it. Well that ended today when the Airport Authority informed my manager that if I post anymore pictures they will suspend my badge. Never a warning, never shown a rule, just this out of the blue. Should have stayed in freaking Tampa.
So for the time being my content will be strictly outside the fence. I wish they were more like the great people at Tampa."

https://www.instagram.com/p/BIwB3CGh3yY/

I almost can't believe MCO here. Where do I start? I mean c'mon, this guy is working on your ramp, and he has all the necessary security clearances, evidently because you hired him, otherwise you wouldn't trust them to begin with! I don't get where this crap is coming from about MCO's security bluff, as somebody rightly points out in the comments, when MCO posts a pic on its own Instagram, there is no problem with it! I for one will now be out spotting at MCO more frequently, and if I am asked about it, I am going to have some strong words for the person in charge of this. They have no excuse, and I urge fellow A.netters to make MCO aware of this. All contributations appreciated, thank you.

In some ways I can understand where the MCO airport authority is coming from; if someone is interrupting their work to stop and take photos during their work day, they're potentially compromising safety in a safety-sensitive area. That's number one. Number two, if I'm the employer, I'm asking them why they're stopping in the middle of work to do something that's not work-related. Number three, if this is taking place outside of work hours, I'm reminding them that their SIDA badge is to aid them in performing their job, it's not a "backstage pass" to come and engage in a side hobby.

Now, are they overreacting? Maybe to some extent, but again, the aforementioned points are not invalid ones, and they're the ones issuing the SIDA badge for work, not photography, so....
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

777PHX

Sun Aug 07, 2016 5:35 pm

crownvic wrote:
777PHX wrote:
crownvic wrote:

Oh please. Your reaction is as bad as theirs. "Make a habit of pissing off military gate guards". It was an isolated incident and I was in and out of there in just a few minutes. I was not on a mission to piss anyone off. I was on a public road and not on military property. I was at least 30 feet from the gate entrance and walking parallel to it as anyone walking in this area would be doing and not approaching it. When a vehicle approaches the gate, I don't see them getting all excited and that car can do a lot more harm, than a person wearing shorts, T-Shirt and sandals and a camera in hand. I highly doubt I am the only person that has wanted to take pictures of these aircraft. Again, if it is that much of a problem, then erect a sign or move the damn things!

Ok, buddy. You clearly know more than I do on the subject.

Quit being a baby. You're just salty that someone told you what to do and made you look like a sissy in front of your family. Guess what? They have that ability. And if you continue to trespass, they can use lethal force. And heres's one more bit of advice since you don't seem to have a clue. If you ever somehow make it on a military base, NEVER approach a flight line of aircraft. They can and will use deadly force to prevent you from doing so. MPs are not civilian law enforcement and they don't operate under the same rules.

green12324

Sun Aug 07, 2016 6:15 pm

I agree that airport authorities, employers, etc are typically overreacting when they come down hard on spotters.

With that being said, I get that it looks suspicious if people are soliciting in/around the airport. Especially in our culture of "see something, say something" it's a good thing that people are noticing behavior out of the ordinary. Just be prepared to be civil, explain yourself, and understand that they may ask you to leave anyway. Whether or not you comply is a personal decision.

I used to work on the ramp, and refrained from taking too many pictures for a multitude of reasons. Most employers prohibit personal electronic devices on the ramp for safety reasons, and don't like it if you post pictures of their operation without permission. Additionally, it isn't professional to be spotting/taking pictures when on the job.

Personally I just stay aware of my surroundings. I love spotting and taking pictures as much as the next person, but if I start to attract unwanted attention I move along. I agree with the poster above who said that airports should encourage spotting parks/areas in order to control it.
The views expressed in this post are my own. They have not
been reviewed or approved by my employer.

YYZatcboy

Sun Aug 07, 2016 11:45 pm

777PHX wrote:
crownvic wrote:
777PHX wrote:

Quit being a baby. You're just salty that someone told you what to do and made you look like a sissy in front of your family. Guess what? They have that ability. And if you continue to trespass, they can use lethal force. And heres's one more bit of advice since you don't seem to have a clue. If you ever somehow make it on a military base, NEVER approach a flight line of aircraft. They can and will use deadly force to prevent you from doing so. MPs are not civilian law enforcement and they don't operate under the same rules.

What are you going on about? The poster clearly said that he was on a public sidewalk on a public road taking pictures of aircraft on display that are visible from public land. There is no trespassing going on and the MPs would not be in the right to stop him from accessing the spot. I highly doubt that the base there would be so incompetent as to have anything classified visible from a public area. It seems pretty clear IF the poster is correctly telling his account that this was on a public road and not a military owned road that the MPs in this case overstepped the limits of their authority.

Answering the YYC question, YYC is back to normal. They were sensitive for a while because of Pokemon Go which had locations that should not be publicly accessible, and the fact that someone jumped the fence in YEG a few weeks ago.
DH1/3/4 MD11/88 L1011 A319/20/21/30/50/80 717 727 735/6/7/8/9 744 762/3 77E/W 788/789 E40/75/90 CRJ/700/705 CC150
J/S DH8D 736/7/8 763

Clipper136

Mon Aug 08, 2016 12:45 am

First.

I am an employee at MCO, for the Aviation Authority, and in the department responsible for running off spotters.

I wanted to clear up a few misconceptions and provide a few facts to the conversation.

MCO had a fantastic spotting area on the approach to the 18 runways off of McCoy Rd. Before working at MCO I used it several times myself.

That area was closed after 9/11 for not only security reasons, but public safety and liability reasons. That viewing area was used after dark for rather unscrupulous activities, so at the behest of the City, OPD and Airport Lawyers it was permanently closed. That area is no longer available as it was given to the City to used for the SR528 expansion.

Also since 9/11 MCO has had a policy against anyone parking/stopping on airport property outside of designated parking areas. The policy is not specifically for spotters, it includes people waiting for arriving passengers, people waiting for employees to clock out, taxis, limos and shuttle vans, delivery trucks and everyone else. There are several reasons for the, policy, that I won't get into here, but it is not targeted at spotters.

MCO actually has a great spotters policy......from the terminal top parking garage (as mentioned above)! You can stay as long as you wish without harassment. It may not be in an ideal spot for some of you, but it is there and available. You are welcome to spot from any place you can legitimately park and wait. The Authority controls the use of its property. The Authority is not a public entity, like a city or municipality.

As for the complaint of the authority threatening the badge of an airport employee. I don't know the particulars if this instance, but you have only heard one side of the story. Unless the person is inadvertently included security access points in his pictures or accessing restricted areas, I don't see the Authority having a problem. I see many airport employees everyday taking photos. It may also be the Employer using the Authority as a scapegoat. The only time that I know that the Authority was involved in taking a badge away was an employee that was using their ID to access secure areas of the ramp when they were not on duty in order to take pictures. That is a clear violation for the use of the badge and the employer asked the authority to get involved.

I understand that this is a beloved "hobby" of many people, but I enjoy being employed and able to pay my mortgage and put food on my table. I don't write the rules. My job is to enforce the rules as written, as long as they continue to pay me to do so. I will not jeopardize my income for some unknown person, whether or not your intentions are good.

I have raised the subject of addressing your plight on this site several times before. Complaining on this forum will not change the policy. The Authority is governed by a board that oversees policy and procedures. Go before the board and plead your case. It is them you need to convince to change the policy, not anyone in this forum.

I would love for MCO to have a viewing park like the one at MAN. Parking, pick-nick areas, food vendors and observation binoculars. They might be able to turn a buck out of it. But they aren't going to build it on my word. You need to put in the effort and make your case.
You can't beat the Experience.

Lexy

Mon Aug 08, 2016 1:22 am

I've never had an issue at MCO. Even in the secure side of the terminal.
Nashville, Tennessee KBNA

rbavfan

Mon Aug 08, 2016 1:37 am

crownvic wrote:

That is a joint civil-military airport there are different security rules. So yes they will stop you. It's quite different from a standard airport. Also those guards can shoot you if you do not comply as its a military facility. You can however talk with the airbase commander and they can give permission, but only from certain locations & angles at the airfield & sometimes with an escort.

USAirKid

Mon Aug 08, 2016 1:37 am

Clipper136 wrote:
You are welcome to spot from any place you can legitimately park and wait. The Authority controls the use of its property. The Authority is not a public entity, like a city or municipality.

This is incorrect.

The Greater Orlando Aviation Authority is an agency of the City of Orlando.

There is hereby created a board or commission to be known as the "Greater Orlando Aviation Authority," and by that name the Authority may sue and be sued, plead and be impleaded, contract and be contracted with, and have an official seal. The Authority is hereby constituted an agency of the City, and exercise by the Authority of the powers conferred by this act shall be deemed and held to be an essential municipal function of the City.

from: Orlando Code of Ordinances: Title 1, Chapter 16, Section 3

cpd

Mon Aug 08, 2016 2:35 am

EA CO AS wrote:
Number two, if I'm the employer, I'm asking them why they're stopping in the middle of work to do something that's not work-related. Number three, if this is taking place outside of work hours, I'm reminding them that their SIDA badge is to aid them in performing their job, it's not a "backstage pass" to come and engage in a side hobby.

Now, are they overreacting? Maybe to some extent, but again, the aforementioned points are not invalid ones, and they're the ones issuing the SIDA badge for work, not photography, so....

I have to agree with you there. Photography airside should really only be when there is a valid reason (news story, you are the photographer for the media outlet, etc), not just because you like spotting and what to one-up your "rival" spotters outside the fence (as sometimes seems to be the case).

It should be that anyone wanting to do it has to apply for prior permission with the airport communications/media people and pay the standard fee to do so. Including those who already work airside as part of their jobs. And then the person granted the authority has someone accompany them while they are taking the required photos as agreed in the filming/photography contract.

Clipper136

Mon Aug 08, 2016 3:42 am

USAirKid wrote:
Clipper136 wrote:
You are welcome to spot from any place you can legitimately park and wait. The Authority controls the use of its property. The Authority is not a public entity, like a city or municipality.

This is incorrect.

The Greater Orlando Aviation Authority is an agency of the City of Orlando.

There is hereby created a board or commission to be known as the "Greater Orlando Aviation Authority," and by that name the Authority may sue and be sued, plead and be impleaded, contract and be contracted with, and have an official seal. The Authority is hereby constituted an agency of the City, and exercise by the Authority of the powers conferred by this act shall be deemed and held to be an essential municipal function of the City.

from: Orlando Code of Ordinances: Title 1, Chapter 16, Section 3

That ordinance granted GOAA the authority to act as an agent of the city. GOAA was created in 1975 by a Legislative Act of the State of Florida. The only power the city has in the Authority is a seat on the Board of Governors, held by the Mayor of the City, and the approval of the annual budget. The other Board members include the Orange County Mayor and 5 others appointed by the Governor of Florida and confirmed by the Florida Senate. GOAA holds the power of a municipality, granted by the City, when in actuality it is not. It is a Publicly Owned Corporation.
You can't beat the Experience.

Lexy

Mon Aug 08, 2016 3:55 am

cpd wrote:
EA CO AS wrote:
Number two, if I'm the employer, I'm asking them why they're stopping in the middle of work to do something that's not work-related. Number three, if this is taking place outside of work hours, I'm reminding them that their SIDA badge is to aid them in performing their job, it's not a "backstage pass" to come and engage in a side hobby.

I have to agree with you there. Photography airside should really only be when there is a valid reason (news story, you are the photographer for the media outlet, etc), not just because you like spotting and what to one-up your "rival" spotters outside the fence (as sometimes seems to be the case).

It should be that anyone wanting to do it has to apply for prior permission with the airport communications/media people and pay the standard fee to do so. Including those who already work airside as part of their jobs. And then the person granted the authority has someone accompany them while they are taking the required photos as agreed in the filming/photography contract.

That's complete garbage. If that's how you want it, move to China. Why should anyone who's undergone numerous background checks and been granted a SIDA badge have to have an escort to walk around the ramp they are approved to be on? That's just silly. Have you ever seen family members with their pictures taken at work? If so, did the person taking the photo have an escort and millions of dollars of life insurance? That's the most ridiculous thing I've seen on here in a long time.
Nashville, Tennessee KBNA

crownvic

Mon Aug 08, 2016 5:22 am

777PHX wrote:
crownvic wrote:
777PHX wrote:

First off, I am not your "buddy". I reported an incident there and you have resorted to name calling, so really, who is the baby (amongst some other names, i would like to call you?

jetpixx

Mon Aug 08, 2016 5:25 am

Add RDU to the list which is very spotter-friendly...there is the general aviation terminal, where you can get shots of the runways and apron -- and the tops of the parking garages, as well as the observation deck with piped in ATC, a playground and small runways for the kids to run on and play. I love our local airport, and lately the variety of aircraft/airlines has improved, too!
ABE, BIL, BOS, BUF, BWI, CAE, CAK, CHS, CLE, CLT, CVG, DAY, DFW, DTW, EWR, FLL, GSO, IAD, IAH, IND, ISP, JAX, JFK, LAS, LAX, LGA, MDW, MEM, MHT, MIA, MKE, MLB, MSO, MSP, OMA, ORD, PBI, PHL, PIT, PVD, RDU, SEA, SFO, SLC, SJU, STL, SYR, TLH, TMB, TUL, YVR

crownvic

Mon Aug 08, 2016 5:28 am

rbavfan wrote:
crownvic wrote:

That is a joint civil-military airport there are different security rules. So yes they will stop you. It's quite different from a standard airport. Also those guards can shoot you if you do not comply as its a military facility. You can however talk with the airbase commander and they can give permission, but only from certain locations & angles at the airfield & sometimes with an escort.

I grew up in the ACY/PHL area 55 years ago. I am well aware of what goes on there. I am also far more in tune to the facility, than 777PHX is considering I worked there for more than 10 years! I am not sure why you think I should have been shot (outside the base). They approached me and told me to stop and I complied. Plain and simple. Does that mean I cannot express my opinion to them? I was not rude to them nor was I combative. All I said was, they should either erect no photography signs or remove the planes. Is that grounds for being shot?

EA CO AS

Mon Aug 08, 2016 10:49 am

Lexy wrote:
Why should anyone who's undergone numerous background checks and been granted a SIDA badge have to have an escort to walk around the ramp they are approved to be on?

They shouldn't require an escort, provided they're using the SIDA badge for what it was intended; facilitating their ability to perform their job.

If they're stopping work to take photos or are accessing a secure area with their SIDA badge outside of the scope of their work, those are inappropriate, and both the employer and/or the airport authority have the right to step in and revoke that access.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

cpd

Mon Aug 08, 2016 12:10 pm

Lexy wrote:
cpd wrote:
EA CO AS wrote:

That's complete garbage. If that's how you want it, move to China. Why should anyone who's undergone numerous background checks and been granted a SIDA badge have to have an escort to walk around the ramp they are approved to be on? That's just silly. Have you ever seen family members with their pictures taken at work? If so, did the person taking the photo have an escort and millions of dollars of life insurance? That's the most ridiculous thing I've seen on here in a long time.

We aren't talking family members and happy snap photos though, it's more people with their DSLRs doing spotting type stuff and or using their credentials to access areas at times when they are not doing their actual job.

Taking a quick snap with a phone camera, probably okay. Even so, some places probably frown upon that too.

EA CO AS has summed it up well.

airbazar

Mon Aug 08, 2016 2:23 pm

coolian2 wrote:
A388 wrote:

But how do you know what they are taking pictures of? They could be taking pictures of something that you can't see from the terminal. This is not just airports. Any secure area typically forbids taking pictures. I was just on a tour of the Ben&Jerry's ice cream plant in Vermont and even though it's a public tour, pictures are strictly forbidden.

aerodog

Mon Aug 08, 2016 2:47 pm

There are hundreds of YouTube videos of individuals asserting their first amendment rights to photograph whatever from a public place. To the extreme, they will dress in combat gear, carry an AK-47 and march up and down in public areas knowing a concerned citizen will call 911. Everything is on video and the goal seems to be to school the authorities on citizens constitutional rights. Military base entry gates and MP's are favorite target.

I have learned that the Supreme Court has ruled that suspicious activity is not a crime, photography is not a crime, recording another individual (including those wearing a badge) in a public place is not a crime and unless suspected of a crime I do not need to identify myself to the authorities. It has cost numerous municipalities millions in lawsuits when these rights have been violated.

Don't flame me, I don't make the rules...don't provoke the authorities...it is the world we live in.

Having said all this, I would be concerned that standing up for your rights might lead to your name showing up mysteriously on the no-fly list

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos