fsafsx

Re: Minneapolis Air Service Discussion

Mon Jan 09, 2017 6:55 pm

I was waiting for this to happen Msp will have 12 peak departures to Mco ahead of Dtw for most of the winter season now if only there was more flights in the summer to maintain more flights because it seems like a growing market. Rsw, Tpa and Fll can use more flights too maybe a few new routes to Srq and Dab since a lot of Minnesotans like to enjoy the Florida sun in the cold Minneapolis winter.

SteveXC500

Mon Jan 09, 2017 8:42 pm

SRQ can be done through ATL on DL. Additionally, TPA isn't that far anyway. I don't see it being added by anyone other than DL, if at all...same for DAB.

Look for others to step up their game against DL on Florida if it is sustainable. As was previously mentioned, the overall share of passengers, as a percentage, at MSP for DL is down while other carriers are up.

klakzky123

Wed Mar 08, 2017 10:25 pm

Didn't see this anywhere but SY announced flights to AUS and STS. Looks like a pretty limited run (1x weekly every Thursday) for this fall but it'll be an interesting experiment. Not sure if it will work but nice to see them trying this.

GSP psgr

Wed Mar 08, 2017 10:36 pm

I have to think that the recent rapprochement between KE and DL bodes well for some sort of eventual service on MSP-ICN. Have there been any rumors flying around to this effect?

maxbaby01
Topic Author

Wed Mar 08, 2017 10:41 pm

sunking737

Thu Mar 09, 2017 2:57 am

SY added N823SY today ex Air Europa 737-800. That gives them 26 the rest of the winter until the 4 HV planes go back to AMS...
"Don't believe it unless its parked on the ramp, or printed in the schedule...SUBJECT TO CHANGE"

I'm a SUNDUCK......Worked for RC & SY @ MSP

fsafsx

Thu Mar 09, 2017 3:19 pm

Nice to see MSP getting new routes! Heres my wishlist if you may. PBI, SRQ, JAX, MSY, BNA for Sun Country. DAB, TLH, ELM, HPN, GSP, GSO, MHT, BTV, ELP for Delta. MEX, GDL, MTY, HMO for Aeromexico or Volaris. YHZ, YYZ, YOW for WestJet. LAX for Virgin America. PTY for Copa. GRU for LATAM. ICN for KE. HND for ANA. FRA for Lufthansa. CGN for Eurowings. DUS or TXL for Air Berlin. DUB for Aer Lingus. LHR for British Airways. and MAD or BCN for Iberia.

Flighty

Thu Mar 09, 2017 3:41 pm

DL/NW previously served MHT and probably BTV. ELM (Elmira) you have got to be kidding, never. ELP not very likely. I was gonna say SAT, but they serve that.

ICN on KE may yet be a possibility if their relationship improves.

SY's STS route seems to be foodie route for the owners of SY who are in the kitchen industry. But whatever, good luck to them.

kinglobjaw

Thu Mar 09, 2017 6:02 pm

fsafsx wrote:
Nice to see MSP getting new routes! Heres my wishlist if you may. PBI, SRQ, JAX, MSY, BNA for Sun Country. DAB, TLH, ELM, HPN, GSP, GSO, MHT, BTV, ELP for Delta. MEX, GDL, MTY, HMO for Aeromexico or Volaris. YHZ, YYZ, YOW for WestJet. LAX for Virgin America. PTY for Copa. GRU for LATAM. ICN for KE. HND for ANA. FRA for Lufthansa. CGN for Eurowings. DUS or TXL for Air Berlin. DUB for Aer Lingus. LHR for British Airways. and MAD or BCN for Iberia.

PBI on Sun Country resumed December 2016! Seasonal only however. I wish SY would do BNA and MSY, but with Southwest starting BNA in June the likelihood of that just dropped. BA to LHR on the 787 would be truly stellar! With Condor doing 4X weekly 767 service to FRA, I don't see LH wanting to enter MSP anytime soon however. Would love to see MSP get more international carriers.
Kinglobjaw

usflyer msp

Thu Mar 09, 2017 7:09 pm

fsafsx wrote:
Nice to see MSP getting new routes! Heres my wishlist if you may. DAB, TLH, ELM, HPN, GSP, GSO, MHT, BTV, ELP for Delta. MEX, GDL, MTY, HMO for Aeromexico or Volaris. YHZ, YYZ, YOW for WestJet. LAX for Virgin America. PTY for Copa. GRU for LATAM. ICN for KE. HND for ANA. FRA for Lufthansa. CGN for Eurowings. DUS or TXL for Air Berlin. DUB for Aer Lingus. LHR for British Airways. and MAD or BCN for Iberia.

None of those is going to happen, except for AM to MEX (more likely with the JV) and KE to ICN (i don't even see that anytime in the next 5 years). If CM leaves Star to return to SkyTeam, I maybe could see a PTY flight eventually. MSP is pretty maxed out on TATL service, so I really don't see anyone (other than DL/AF/KL) adding more capacity there.

GSP psgr

Fri Mar 10, 2017 3:43 am

fsafsx wrote:

NW ran GSP-MSP back in the day two different times with a CRJ-200, which wasn't an ideal aircraft for the route. While I think Delta would be hesitant to overfly both ATL and DTW, it's not wholly inconceivable, as Delta flies MSP-TYS year round (although this may be because ExpressJet has a maintenance facility there) as well as MSP-SAV seasonally. GSP doesn't have DEN service, and NW services a lot of those regional markets from MSP. On the whole, it's more likely GSP sees upgraded service on GSP-DTW first, which serves the bulk of Midwest connecting flows equally well, with a stronger O&D component (auto industry).

kavok

Fri Mar 10, 2017 3:54 am

usflyer msp wrote:
fsafsx wrote:
Nice to see MSP getting new routes! Heres my wishlist if you may. DAB, TLH, ELM, HPN, GSP, GSO, MHT, BTV, ELP for Delta. MEX, GDL, MTY, HMO for Aeromexico or Volaris. YHZ, YYZ, YOW for WestJet. LAX for Virgin America. PTY for Copa. GRU for LATAM. ICN for KE. HND for ANA. FRA for Lufthansa. CGN for Eurowings. DUS or TXL for Air Berlin. DUB for Aer Lingus. LHR for British Airways. and MAD or BCN for Iberia.

None of those is going to happen, except for AM to MEX (more likely with the JV) and KE to ICN (i don't even see that anytime in the next 5 years). If CM leaves Star to return to SkyTeam, I maybe could see a PTY flight eventually. MSP is pretty maxed out on TATL service, so I really don't see anyone (other than DL/AF/KL) adding more capacity there.

A MSP-ICN flight as part of the JV would likely be operated on Delta metal. DL will want to have a similar TransPac capacity as KE in any JV agreement, and with that being the case, it makes sense for DL to operate flights to ICN from Delta Hubs, with KE taking on the North America to ICN flights from non-Delta hubs (SFO, ORD, DFW, etc.).

fsafsx

Fri Mar 10, 2017 3:30 pm

I want to see more routes at MSP that DTW has, it seems like traveling out of MSP always requires a connection through DTW to get to New York, I go to Indianapolis and had to make the unfortunate connection in DTW and they fly a 757 on DTW 2 IND? MSP 2 IND should have the 757. I am also scheduled to go to RDU next month and from DTW yet again another 757, MSP 2 RDU should be the 757 not CRJ900.

SteveXC500

Tue Mar 21, 2017 12:54 pm

Part of MAC meeting minutes. Gives a decent summary in tabular form of the upcoming 2nd quarter ops/seats and some info on destinations served. Thought I would post here for all to read and discuss.

http://metroairports.granicus.com/MetaV ... a_id=25394

lavalampluva

Tue Mar 21, 2017 1:37 pm

usflyer msp wrote:
fsafsx wrote:

I think most of what you say is pretty accurate. As far as TATL, maybe FRA would end up daily, but I don't think that fits Condors business model. Maybe they would extend service longer than just during the summer months. IMO I'm surprised that KEF numbers are so solid considering that both DL and FI fly that route. Not sure how DL didn't think FCO was profitable since loads were high. My guess is more a lack of a/c to go around.
Remind me to send a thank you note to Mr. Boeing.

Flighty

Tue Mar 21, 2017 4:08 pm

SteveXC500 wrote:
Part of MAC meeting minutes. Gives a decent summary in tabular form of the upcoming 2nd quarter ops/seats and some info on destinations served. Thought I would post here for all to read and discuss.

http://metroairports.granicus.com/MetaV ... a_id=25394

Interesting stuff. Put together by good people, "Major/Regional" misnomer aside.

It says that in 2Q 2017, Delta's 2nd largest hub by seat count is MSP. It narrowly beats DTW, which was the second biggest last year. Unless you combine LGA and JFK, in which case, Delta's second biggest city is New York. Delta's average seat count at LGA, 93.77 seats and climbing, is impressive. Delta is shrinking at Seattle year over year. Interesting stuff.

The international story at MSP is interesting too - record high for Delta, with Condor and Icelandair increasing by over 50% versus 2016. KLM returns in 2017 after they flew IIRC MD-11 in 2004 briefly. Of course it's non-material but it is interesting both AF and KLM will be in MSP for the first time ever (?).

SteveXC500

Tue Mar 21, 2017 4:42 pm

AF has been flying to MSP for a few seasons now. The bigger question with AF at MSP is will they ever extend/lengthen their season here and what aircraft will replace the A340 they currently are using on the MSP-CDG route?

iFlyDTW

Tue Mar 21, 2017 4:59 pm

SteveXC500 wrote:
AF has been flying to MSP for a few seasons now. The bigger question with AF at MSP is will they ever extend/lengthen their season here and what aircraft will replace the A340 they currently are using on the MSP-CDG route?
Air France switched their DTW flight from an A340 to a 777 so MSP will probably be a 777 in Summer 18.
Home of the "Bare Fare" /// Banana Plane Republic

klakzky123

Tue Mar 21, 2017 5:07 pm

SteveXC500 wrote:

I fly on the AF flight out of MSP a few times a year. It seems half empty in economy whenever I fly. If anything, I would think a smaller plane like an a330 would make more sense. A 777 is too much plane (especially now that DL generally upgauges to a 777 in the summer time) but maybe i've just had the luck of flying on flights with light loads.

The A340 has to go at some point but I would almost expect AF to downgauge rather than upgauge. But I could be totally wrong on this one.

CIDFlyer

Tue Mar 21, 2017 5:30 pm

Maybe more expansion by SY or some expansion by WN. I could see G4 maybe, they could lure some customers to their PIE & PGD flights, while not competing head to head with the other carriers who serve the nearby larger airports. Has G4 gone into a major hub airport other than DEN?

On the Delta side I would love to see the 50 seat CRJ's gone from markets like CID, MSN, GRB, OMA etc and upgrade to larger RJ's or 717s on all flights. I do see in my home market CID we are starting to see some ERJ75's and CR7 & CR9's...its just not consistent yet.

usflyer msp

Tue Mar 21, 2017 5:43 pm

klakzky123 wrote:
SteveXC500 wrote:

I fly on the AF flight out of MSP a few times a year. It seems half empty in economy whenever I fly. If anything, I would think a smaller plane like an a330 would make more sense. A 777 is too much plane (especially now that DL generally upgauges to a 777 in the summer time) but maybe i've just had the luck of flying on flights with light loads.

The A340 has to go at some point but I would almost expect AF to downgauge rather than upgauge. But I could be totally wrong on this one.

Don't be surprised if MSP is a 789 next summer...

SteveXC500

Tue Mar 21, 2017 5:54 pm

usflyer msp wrote:
klakzky123 wrote:
SteveXC500 wrote:

Don't be surprised if MSP is a 789 next summer...

You beat me to it.

SteveXC500

Tue Mar 21, 2017 5:55 pm

CIDFlyer wrote:
Maybe more expansion by SY or some expansion by WN. I could see G4 maybe, they could lure some customers to their PIE & PGD flights, while not competing head to head with the other carriers who serve the nearby larger airports. Has G4 gone into a major hub airport other than DEN?

On the Delta side I would love to see the 50 seat CRJ's gone from markets like CID, MSN, GRB, OMA etc and upgrade to larger RJ's or 717s on all flights. I do see in my home market CID we are starting to see some ERJ75's and CR7 & CR9's...its just not consistent yet.

Any truth to these statements or just your wish list?

jplatts

Tue Mar 21, 2017 6:22 pm

Both Delta Air Lines and Southwest Airlines have previously considered adding nonstop service from Minneapolis/St. Paul to Dallas Love Field. MSP-Dallas is one of the largest markets not served nonstop from Dallas Love Field, even though Delta operates 5-7 nonstops a day between MSP and DFW. Delta has filed a lawsuit against the City of Dallas in order to gain access to gates at Dallas Love Field in order to operate flights between its home base in Atlanta and Dallas Love Field.

Southwest would have competitive advantages over Delta if it operates nonstop service between MSP and Dallas Love Field, including the following:
  • No fees for the 1st and 2nd checked bags
  • No change fees to change flights
  • Access to destinations that Delta Air Lines does not serve, including Amarillo, Lubbock, and Midland/Odessa

Southwest would also face competition from American, Spirit, and Sun Country if it operates a MSP-DAL nonstop, and Southwest would be willing to keep the fares of MSP-DAL nonstop flights low, especially with the competition that it would face from both Spirit and Sun Country.

The MSP-DAL nonstop should go to Southwest first instead of Delta first, even though Southwest is the dominant airline at Dallas Love Field, because Southwest Airlines can provide connecting service to destinations that Delta, Sun Country, and Spirit cannot provide, because Southwest does not currently operate nonstop service between Dallas and MSP, because the Southwest nonstop would be more competitive by giving a 5th option for travel between Dallas and Minneapolis/St. Paul, and because Southwest has competitive advantages over all 4 of the airlines who have nonstops between DFW and Minneapolis/St. Paul.

flyfresno

Tue Mar 21, 2017 11:08 pm

fsafsx wrote:

PVG has been mentioned in the past by DAL. Also, add FAT to that wish list (only airport in FAT's top 10 domestic O&D markets without non-stop service).

fsafsx

Wed Mar 22, 2017 2:19 am

I think a Southwest route to Dallas would be good for MSP.

CIDFlyer

Sat Mar 25, 2017 2:46 pm

SteveXC500 wrote:
CIDFlyer wrote:

Any truth to these statements or just your wish list?

yes larger RJ service starting in May according to the Delta schedule. ER75 is coming in May for the 5:30 pm CID-MSP flight CR7 for 7am CID-MSP flight. In summer 3 CRJ's with a CR9 on the last CID-MSP flight.

factsonly

Sat Mar 25, 2017 6:14 pm

Monday March 27, 2017 - Inaugural of KLM's new 3x weekly A332 AMS-MSP service, as the 4th daily AMS-MSP-AMS in cooperation with DL:

- arr. 11.20am KL655 AMS A332 PH-AON Mon, Wed, Sat
- dep. 3.00pm KL656 AMS A332 PH-AON mon, Wed, Sat

codeshared with:
Air France (AF 8468)
Delta Airlines (DL 9537)
Jet Airways (9W 8595)

SteveXC500

Sat Mar 25, 2017 8:40 pm

KLM arrives and departs in daylight. Will make the spotters happy at Spotters Park!

maxbaby01
Topic Author

Sun Mar 26, 2017 6:02 pm

Does anybody know how well the HND flight is doing?

bfitzflyer

Sun Mar 26, 2017 10:05 pm

I am sure the HND flight is doing well with business travelers and all the connections into MSP

SFOtoORD

Sun Mar 26, 2017 10:36 pm

bfitzflyer wrote:
I am sure the HND flight is doing well with business travelers and all the connections into MSP

Any data to make the point? Quite a few airlines thought their HND flight would be great and didn't do well.

SteveXC500

Mon Mar 27, 2017 12:27 am

I was watching a clip from a recent MAC meeting. In the meeting, the HND flight was brought up. They stated consumers have made "adjustments" to this change. If they need more connectivity to other parts of Asia, they are flying via SEA or LAX. HND offers a better flight in to the heart of Tokyo versus Narita. So, IMO, DL is likely forcing people in to MSP if they want to go direct to Tokyo, but via other cities for connectivity. Just what I gathered from the meeting video.
OTOH, it would seem to bite having to connect twice to get to another Asian city (if going through NRT). I'm sure SEA/LAX offer a single connection to other cities in Asia.

maxbaby01
Topic Author

Fri May 19, 2017 7:23 pm

Per KLM's website. The seasonal service is now going to be year-round. Also starting at the end of October MSP will see it's first scheduled 787-900 service via KLM.

SteveXC500

Sat May 20, 2017 3:05 am

Is there a link to that info on KLMs website?

drmlnr1

Sat May 20, 2017 3:19 am

I'd love to see B6 because it would add more competition and drive fares lower
Flying is relaxing!

lavalampluva

Sat May 20, 2017 3:24 am

SteveXC500 wrote:
Is there a link to that info on KLMs website?

I didn't see an article but checking schedules the first 787 scheduled is for November 5. Also DL is dropping to only 2 flights starting October 29.

SteveXC500

Sat May 20, 2017 3:41 am

Got it. No news release but in the schedule

fsafsx

Sat May 27, 2017 10:44 pm

Nice a 787 coming to msp when until we see westjet? SJC on Alaska? JetBlue to Orlando and Boston?

lavalampluva

Mon Jun 12, 2017 7:31 pm

MSP-AUA DL391 9:00am-4:41pm 738 Saturdays starting 1/6/2018
AUA-MSP DL318 6:00pm-10:11pm 738 Saturdays starting 1/13/2018

SteveXC500

Mon Jun 12, 2017 8:40 pm

From this week's OAG thread. MSP-DTW on No going year round?

NK BDL-FLL JAN 1.0>1.7
NK BDL-MCO JAN 1.0>1.7
*NK DEN-PHX DEC 0.8>0 JAN 1.0>0
NK DTW-MCO JAN 3>4
*NK DTW-MSP JAN 0>1.0
*NK DTW-PHL NOV 0.8>0.3 DEC 0.8>0 JAN 1.0>0
NK FLL-PHL NOV 0.8>1.7 DEC 0.8>1.8 JAN 1.0>2
NK IAH-CUN OCT 0.4>0.5
NK MCO-SJU NOV 1.1>1.7
NK MSP-RSW NOV 1.3>0.7 JAN 2>1.0 FEB 1.0>0.5

flymco753

Tue Jun 13, 2017 2:30 pm

SteveXC500 wrote:
From this week's OAG thread. MSP-DTW on No going year round?

*NK DTW-MSP JAN 0>1.0
It appears so, and has switched places with PHL, so now PHL will be seasonal, it's a swap.
...the carriage of liquids, gels, and aerosols are prohibited through the screening checkpoint except for travel size toiletries of 3 ounces or less...

flyfresno

Tue Jun 13, 2017 2:47 pm

lavalampluva wrote:
MSP-AUA DL391 9:00am-4:41pm 738 Saturdays starting 1/6/2018
AUA-MSP DL318 6:00pm-10:11pm 738 Saturdays starting 1/13/2018

Interesting...not timed to arrive back in MSP in time for connections, especially when factoring in customs. Guessing they could swap this a/c to/from ATL to make that work?

lavalampluva

Tue Jun 13, 2017 3:50 pm

flyfresno wrote:
lavalampluva wrote:
MSP-AUA DL391 9:00am-4:41pm 738 Saturdays starting 12/23/2017
AUA-MSP DL318 6:00pm-10:11pm 738 Saturdays starting 12/23/2017

Interesting...not timed to arrive back in MSP in time for connections, especially when factoring in customs. Guessing they could swap this a/c to/from ATL to make that work?

Edit on the dates. It wouldn't allow me to edit my original post.

Back to the topic. I don't think that SY or DL will have problems filling AUA flights with just flyers from MSP by themselves. But I agree both are horrible for connections.

af773atmsp

Thu Jun 15, 2017 12:55 am

From the MSP Spotting Facebook group, next summer AF will be using a 772ER on the MSP-CDG service. Looks like my username isn't as far fetched as it was when I created it in 2006.
DC10-40,MD88,A319,A320,A332,717,722,733,737,738,752,ATR-72,736,788
SY,DL,FI,FL,BA,EI,NW,MG,DY,EZY,F9,WN,SN,ET,SK
Too many airports to fit in signature.

lavalampluva

Thu Jun 15, 2017 1:00 am

af773atmsp wrote:
From the MSP Spotting Facebook group, next summer AF will be using a 772ER on the MSP-CDG service. Looks like my username isn't as far fetched as it was when I created it in 2006.

I was curious to what they were planning to use since the 343 is going away.

lavalampluva

Thu Jun 22, 2017 5:06 pm

Alaska Airlines is adding a flight between MSP-SEA November 18, 2018 using a Horizon E175.

SteveXC500

Thu Jun 22, 2017 7:41 pm

lavalampluva wrote:
Alaska Airlines is adding a flight between MSP-SEA November 18, 2018 using a Horizon E175.

Interesting. Was there an article?

So AS will fly 2-3 738/739's daily and an E175?

lavalampluva

Thu Jun 22, 2017 7:47 pm

SteveXC500 wrote:
lavalampluva wrote:

Interesting. Was there an article?

So AS will fly 2-3 738/739's daily and an E175?

I got the information from Alaska's schedule. On November 18 they will be flying 2 739 and 1 E75. Interesting that the E75 starts the same day as the flight to SAN.

Elementalism

Thu Jun 22, 2017 8:06 pm

fsafsx wrote:
I think a Southwest route to Dallas would be good for MSP.

I agree. One of the thing I looked forward to when Southwest arrived was non-stop to Dallas. But that never happened. I travel to Dallas a couple times a year. Southwest is not competitive on the route. It is usually 100 more than Sun Country and Delta. And it requires 1-2 stops while the competition is non-stop. I do fly Southwest to MKE.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos