Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

SteveXC500

Re: Minneapolis Air Service Discussion

Thu Jun 22, 2017 8:30 pm

Elementalism wrote:
fsafsx wrote:
I think a Southwest route to Dallas would be good for MSP.

I agree. One of the thing I looked forward to when Southwest arrived was non-stop to Dallas. But that never happened. I travel to Dallas a couple times a year. Southwest is not competitive on the route. It is usually 100 more than Sun Country and Delta. And it requires 1-2 stops while the competition is non-stop. I do fly Southwest to MKE.

Southwest to MKE ends in November.

jplatts

Thu Jun 22, 2017 10:31 pm

CIDFlyer wrote:
I could see G4 maybe, they could lure some customers to their PIE & PGD flights, while not competing head to head with the other carriers who serve the nearby larger airports. Has G4 gone into a major hub airport other than DEN?

G4 does have nonstop service out of EWR to AVL, CVG, TYS, and SAV plus seasonal nonstop service out of EWR to VPS.

G4 does serve BWI, which is a major focus city airport for Southwest but is not a hub airport for a legacy airline, and has nonstop service out of BWI to AVL, CVG, and SAV plus seasonal nonstop service out of BWI to VPS, TYS, LEX, and TUL.

G4 does serve CVG, which is a hub for Delta Air Lines, and RDU, which is a focus city for Delta Air Lines, and serves MSY, SFB, PGD, and PIE nonstop from both CVG and RDU. In addition, Allegiant will be starting nonstop service between CVG and RDU on November 16th, and Allegiant also currently serves 16 destinations nonstop from CVG.

G4 does serve LAX, which is a hub for American Airlines, Delta Air Lines, United Airlines, and Virgin America and a focus city for Southwest Airlines and Spirit Airlines, and serves 27 destinations nonstop from LAX with 17 of these destinations being served nonstop seasonally.

G4 does serve OAK, which is on the opposite side of the San Francisco Bay from UA's major hub at SFO, with nonstop service out of OAK to 10 destinations, with 6 of these destinations being served nonstop seasonally.

G4 does serve FNT and TOL, both of which are near the Detroit area but far enough from DTW, which is a major hub for Delta Air Lines.

G4 does serve USA/JQF, which is a secondary airport in the Charlotte metropolitan area and which is near AA's CLT hub.

G4 does serve FLL, which is in the Miami metropolitan area and near AA's MIA hub.

Elementalism

Thu Jun 22, 2017 11:09 pm

SteveXC500 wrote:
Elementalism wrote:
fsafsx wrote:
I think a Southwest route to Dallas would be good for MSP.

I agree. One of the thing I looked forward to when Southwest arrived was non-stop to Dallas. But that never happened. I travel to Dallas a couple times a year. Southwest is not competitive on the route. It is usually 100 more than Sun Country and Delta. And it requires 1-2 stops while the competition is non-stop. I do fly Southwest to MKE.

Southwest to MKE ends in November.

Wow that sucks.Kind of shocking given every time I have flown the plane is full.

SteveXC500

Fri Jun 23, 2017 1:06 am

It's shocking the plane is full! Been on that flight a few times as well and it was always empty for me!
Loads are terrible, if you look up the stats. LF in the 40-60 range.
If you look at a route like DSM-PHX (starting this January), one would guess it will have better loads than MSP-MKE, so WN puts a plane where it will do well. Sometimes it feels like they aren't giving MSP enough of a chance though.

klakzky123

Fri Jun 23, 2017 1:10 am

SteveXC500 wrote:
It's shocking the plane is full! Been on that flight a few times as well and it was always empty for me!
Loads are terrible, if you look up the stats. LF in the 40-60 range.
If you look at a route like DSM-PHX (starting this January), one would guess it will have better loads than MSP-MKE, so WN puts a plane where it will do well. Sometimes it feels like they aren't giving MSP enough of a chance though.

DL was price matching on that flight. The fares were absurdly low. DL was going to win that flight in the long run (even if you are paying more because of bag fees). This just wasn't a route worth fighting for anymore. DL seemed committed to removing WN from this route.

fsafsx

Fri Jun 23, 2017 2:39 pm

I think British Airways will be the next international airline at MSP. London service is pathetic, once daily 767-300?

jplatts

Fri Jun 23, 2017 7:46 pm

Will Southwest add nonstop service out of MSP to MSY, IND, and CMH? MSY, IND, and CMH are some of the top markets out of MSP that do not see nonstop service on airlines other than Delta, Southwest is the dominant carrier at MSY, IND, and CMH, and Southwest has long been at MSY, IND, and CMH.

wnflyguy

Fri Jun 23, 2017 7:55 pm

B6 coming to MSP in the spring 2018 ?
Flyguy
My Wings are clipped just another Retired Airline person. The Ultimate Armchair out of the loop airline industry geek. Aloha Mr Hand!

SteveXC500

Fri Jun 23, 2017 8:10 pm

fsafsx wrote:
I think British Airways will be the next international airline at MSP. London service is pathetic, once daily 767-300?

What feed does BA have? DL feeds themselves here.

What aircraft type would you see BA using?

SteveXC500

Fri Jun 23, 2017 8:14 pm

jplatts wrote:
Will Southwest add nonstop service out of MSP to MSY, IND, and CMH? MSY, IND, and CMH are some of the top markets out of MSP that do not see nonstop service on airlines other than Delta, Southwest is the dominant carrier at MSY, IND, and CMH, and Southwest has long been at MSY, IND, and CMH.

Southwest has proven (other than recent BWI and BNA additions) they are playing MSP softly vs. other growing markets for them.
They operate out of gates 10-13 - 4 gates. So, at peak efficiency and utilization, WN could have about 32 departures. Now, gate 13 is actually an A & B gate, so they could have a 5th gate, but cannot board both of those at the same time. Currently, seeing about 27 departures. Looking ahead to November, we will see 25 (loss of two MKE flights) and just 22 during the Jan/Feb schedule.

So, I just don't see WN adding any of the cities you listed. I can see them adding DAL or HOU next, however. Would have liked to see longer term Florida routes, instead of the Spring Break season, exclusively. Looking beyond those additions, if they can beat B6 to BOS, I could see it. LAS needs to return (was here March/April this year). Plus, CA, PNW?

SteveXC500

Fri Jun 23, 2017 8:14 pm

wnflyguy wrote:
B6 coming to MSP in the spring 2018 ?
Flyguy

Source? Or just speculation?

klm617

Fri Jun 23, 2017 11:04 pm

jplatts wrote:
CIDFlyer wrote:
I could see G4 maybe, they could lure some customers to their PIE & PGD flights, while not competing head to head with the other carriers who serve the nearby larger airports. Has G4 gone into a major hub airport other than DEN?

G4 does have nonstop service out of EWR to AVL, CVG, TYS, and SAV plus seasonal nonstop service out of EWR to VPS.

G4 does serve BWI, which is a major focus city airport for Southwest but is not a hub airport for a legacy airline, and has nonstop service out of BWI to AVL, CVG, and SAV plus seasonal nonstop service out of BWI to VPS, TYS, LEX, and TUL.

G4 does serve CVG, which is a hub for Delta Air Lines, and RDU, which is a focus city for Delta Air Lines, and serves MSY, SFB, PGD, and PIE nonstop from both CVG and RDU. In addition, Allegiant will be starting nonstop service between CVG and RDU on November 16th, and Allegiant also currently serves 16 destinations nonstop from CVG.

G4 does serve LAX, which is a hub for American Airlines, Delta Air Lines, United Airlines, and Virgin America and a focus city for Southwest Airlines and Spirit Airlines, and serves 27 destinations nonstop from LAX with 17 of these destinations being served nonstop seasonally.

G4 does serve OAK, which is on the opposite side of the San Francisco Bay from UA's major hub at SFO, with nonstop service out of OAK to 10 destinations, with 6 of these destinations being served nonstop seasonally.

G4 does serve FNT and TOL, both of which are near the Detroit area but far enough from DTW, which is a major hub for Delta Air Lines.

G4 does serve USA/JQF, which is a secondary airport in the Charlotte metropolitan area and which is near AA's CLT hub.

G4 does serve FLL, which is in the Miami metropolitan area and near AA's MIA hub.

They already serve the MSP market through St. Cloud
the truth does matter, guys. too bad it's often quite subjective. the truth is beyond the mere facts and figures. it's beyond good and bad, right and wrong...

FlyHappy

Sat Jun 24, 2017 12:26 am

klm617 wrote:

They already serve the MSP market through St. Cloud

I'm not sure St. Cloud qualifies as serving MSP........ and certainly not with just 2 measly routes.

jplatts

Sat Jun 24, 2017 1:49 am

SteveXC500 wrote:
jplatts wrote:

Southwest has proven (other than recent BWI and BNA additions) they are playing MSP softly vs. other growing markets for them.
They operate out of gates 10-13 - 4 gates. So, at peak efficiency and utilization, WN could have about 32 departures. Now, gate 13 is actually an A & B gate, so they could have a 5th gate, but cannot board both of those at the same time. Currently, seeing about 27 departures. Looking ahead to November, we will see 25 (loss of two MKE flights) and just 22 during the Jan/Feb schedule.

So, I just don't see WN adding any of the cities you listed. I can see them adding DAL or HOU next, however. Would have liked to see longer term Florida routes, instead of the Spring Break season, exclusively. Looking beyond those additions, if they can beat B6 to BOS, I could see it. LAS needs to return (was here March/April this year). Plus, CA, PNW?

Southwest probably does have room to do at least 40 flights per day out of MSP since Southwest does more than 10 flights per gate per day out of LAX and DAL.

CMH is near 3 Midwestern cities that see nonstop service to MSP on airlines other than Delta as CVG and CLE also have nonstop service to MSP on Frontier and as DTW also has nonstop service to MSP on Spirit. The demand for CMH-MSP is greater than that of CVG-MSP and Southwest is also the dominant carrier at CMH. There are also major companies headquartered in Columbus that have a presence in the Minneapolis/St. Paul metropolitan area, including Wendy's, Nationwide Insurance, and Big Lots, and there are business travelers in the Columbus area that would prefer to fly to MSP on Southwest if Southwest added nonstop service to MSP from CMH. Columbus is also the largest Midwestern city to only have nonstop service out of MSP on only Delta. If Frontier is actually doing well on CVG-MSP and CLE-MSP, it appears that Southwest might actually do well on CMH-MSP since there are business travelers who travel to MSP from CMH with Columbus-based businesses that do business in the Twin Cities and since the demand for CMH-MSP flights is greater than that of CVG-MSP.

IND is also near Chicago, which also has nonstop service to MSP on American, United, Southwest, and Spirit in addition to nonstops to MSP on Delta out of both ORD and MDW. The demand for IND-MSP was larger than that of CVG-MSP, even though I am unsure how big the IND-MSP market is currently as Southwest recently added CVG-MDW nonstop service and as Frontier recently added CVG-MSP nonstop service.

fsafsx

Sat Jun 24, 2017 3:07 pm

SteveXC500 wrote:
fsafsx wrote:

Incoild see them using a 787-800, five times per week. Msp has a growing London market and its a perfect time for a new carrier to grow with it.

SteveXC500

Sat Jun 24, 2017 5:02 pm

jplatts wrote:
SteveXC500 wrote:
jplatts wrote:

Southwest probably does have room to do at least 40 flights per day out of MSP since Southwest does more than 10 flights per gate per day out of LAX and DAL.

CMH is near 3 Midwestern cities that see nonstop service to MSP on airlines other than Delta as CVG and CLE also have nonstop service to MSP on Frontier and as DTW also has nonstop service to MSP on Spirit. The demand for CMH-MSP is greater than that of CVG-MSP and Southwest is also the dominant carrier at CMH. There are also major companies headquartered in Columbus that have a presence in the Minneapolis/St. Paul metropolitan area, including Wendy's, Nationwide Insurance, and Big Lots, and there are business travelers in the Columbus area that would prefer to fly to MSP on Southwest if Southwest added nonstop service to MSP from CMH. Columbus is also the largest Midwestern city to only have nonstop service out of MSP on only Delta. If Frontier is actually doing well on CVG-MSP and CLE-MSP, it appears that Southwest might actually do well on CMH-MSP since there are business travelers who travel to MSP from CMH with Columbus-based businesses that do business in the Twin Cities and since the demand for CMH-MSP flights is greater than that of CVG-MSP.

IND is also near Chicago, which also has nonstop service to MSP on American, United, Southwest, and Spirit in addition to nonstops to MSP on Delta out of both ORD and MDW. The demand for IND-MSP was larger than that of CVG-MSP, even though I am unsure how big the IND-MSP market is currently as Southwest recently added CVG-MDW nonstop service and as Frontier recently added CVG-MSP nonstop service.

But does WN have the planes to add that much? And, are their better routes in other markets?

lavalampluva

Tue Jul 18, 2017 4:11 pm

AS/QX added a 6:00am departure to SFO starting 12/15 on E75 equipment. This puts AS up to 7 departures.
Remind me to send a thank you note to Mr. Boeing.

SteveXC500

Tue Jul 18, 2017 4:29 pm

AS/QX already has 6:15 AM to SFO today, in addition to the 15:28 departure in the afternoon. I'm not sure the 12/15 adjustment you are noting is anything other than a time change.

lavalampluva

Tue Jul 18, 2017 5:03 pm

You're right. They are just changing the 6:15am OO flight to a 6:00am flight using QX.

jplatts

Tue Jul 18, 2017 5:34 pm

Is Southwest going to be announcing new nonstop service from MSP to DAL and HOU next Thursday (7/27)?

klakzky123

Tue Jul 18, 2017 6:00 pm

New flights on Frontier to Long Island, Trenton and Tampa. Good to see F9 with some growth in MSP. Wasn't expecting much if anything.

lavalampluva

Tue Jul 18, 2017 6:38 pm

klakzky123 wrote:
New flights on Frontier to Long Island, Trenton and Tampa. Good to see F9 with some growth in MSP. Wasn't expecting much if anything.

I believe MSP-TTN a resumption of service?

klakzky123

Tue Jul 18, 2017 6:50 pm

lavalampluva wrote:
klakzky123 wrote:

I believe MSP-TTN a resumption of service?

Yup, was cancelled a couple of years ago if I remember correctly. I actually flew that a couple of times. Can be a bargain way to get to NYC or Philadelphia if you catch those $30 one ways.

SteveXC500

Tue Jul 18, 2017 7:09 pm

jplatts wrote:
Is Southwest going to be announcing new nonstop service from MSP to DAL and HOU next Thursday (7/27)?

Doubtful. I'm guessing standard spring break additions only. It's a small schedule extension anyway.

jplatts

Tue Jul 18, 2017 7:44 pm

SteveXC500 wrote:
jplatts wrote:

Doubtful. I'm guessing standard spring break additions only. It's a small schedule extension anyway.

Southwest actually has done springtime schedule expansions involving the addition of new nonstop routes in the past, including the addition of new nonstop service from STL to BNA, MSY, RDU, SEA, and SAN in May 2010, the addition of new nonstop service from DAL to CMH, IND, MEM, MKE, SMF, SJC, SEA, PDX back in March 2015, the addition of new nonstop service from DAL to BUR in April 2016, the addition of nonstop service to ICT from PHX and STL in April 2016, and the addition of seasonal weekend-only nonstop service between DAL and JAX back in March of this year.

If Southwest plans on serving DAL or HOU nonstop from MSP, the possibility of Southwest announcing new nonstop service to DAL and HOU out of MSP later this summer might still be there as Southwest has started new nonstop service to non-vacation destinations in the springtime in the past.

lavalampluva

Wed Jul 19, 2017 6:48 pm

I believe MSP is the largest domestic market not served from DAL. I know DL had plans for it before the whole Virgin gate mess happened.

jplatts

Tue Jul 25, 2017 10:06 pm

lavalampluva wrote:
I believe MSP is the largest domestic market not served from DAL. I know DL had plans for it before the whole Virgin gate mess happened.

There is enough demand for Southwest to add nonstop service to DAL from MSP since Southwest and Delta have both considered serving DAL nonstop from MSP, since Delta is going to be discontinuing mainline service between MSP and DFW after November 4th, since the Minneapolis-St. Paul metropolitan area is the largest metropolitan area in the U.S. that does not have nonstop service to DAL, and since MSP is the largest market out of DAL that does not have nonstop service out of DAL. In addition, Southwest Airlines has its home base at Dallas Love Field and Southwest Airlines has a customer base in Dallas that would prefer to fly Southwest over American, Delta, Spirit, or Sun Country if Southwest added nonstop service to DAL from MSP.

Will Southwest be announcing new nonstop service from MSP to DAL on Thursday?

SteveXC500

Tue Aug 22, 2017 10:08 pm

TW870

Tue Aug 22, 2017 10:31 pm

SteveXC500 wrote:

Not yet at least. That article is a year old - and so far no plans have been announced for MSP 789 service except for KL. AF will bring the 777-200ER for the 2018 high season as it currently stands.

SteveXC500

Thu Aug 24, 2017 6:47 pm

Also being discussed here, but NK adding MSY-MSP, 4x weekly beginning Nov 9, 2017. Mon/Wed/Fri/Sat, A319
viewtopic.php?p=19768275#p19768275

http://ir.spirit.com/releasedetail.cfm? ... ID=1038189

jplatts

Fri Sep 08, 2017 4:43 am

Will Sun Country ever add service from MSP to Houston? If Sun Country does plan on serving Houston nonstop from MSP, would it serve HOU, IAH, or both nonstop from MSP?

KGRB

Fri Sep 08, 2017 5:25 am

fsafsx wrote:
SteveXC500 wrote:
fsafsx wrote:

Incoild see them using a 787-800, five times per week. Msp has a growing London market and its a perfect time for a new carrier to grow with it.

Funny that you call Delta's 767-300 "pathetic," while saying BA should fly a 787-8 (there is no such thing as a 787-800) to MSP. DL uses the 76W configuration for this route, which seats 208, while BA's 788 seats 214. That's only a difference of six seats. Is BA's 788 "pathetic" too?
First flight: NW DC-10 MKE-MSP December 1996
Most recent flight: DL/9E CRJ-900 LGA-MSN January 2020

Dfthu

Thu Sep 14, 2017 1:51 am

Yesterday a Delta B744 landed in MSP for fueling. DTWs longest runway is being worked on for another week. She had to takeoff empty and refuel before continuing back to Shanghai. Was also N662US the oldest Delta 744. Also not sure if this been mentioned yet but MSP-AMS winter season will be a KLM B787-9 and next summer a A330-300, upgraded from a A330-200.

flyfresno

Thu Sep 14, 2017 3:46 am

Dfthu wrote:
Yesterday a Delta B744 landed in MSP for fueling. DTWs longest runway is being worked on for another week. She had to takeoff empty and refuel before continuing back to Shanghai. Was also N662US the oldest Delta 744. Also not sure if this been mentioned yet but MSP-AMS winter season will be a KLM B787-9 and next summer a A330-300, upgraded from a A330-200.

Are you sure it was a fueling stop? To being, it appears the a/c was filed all the way to PVG and then "diverted." The times I've seen fuel stops (UAL would occasionally make them in HNL going to SYD from LAX and SFO with strong winds) on flight aware, the trip was filed that way. Also, from Delta's website, it looks like it spent almost two hours on the ground: a pretty long time for a fuel stop. Seems more likely it diverted for another reason?
Last edited by flyfresno on Thu Sep 14, 2017 3:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

SteveXC500

Thu Sep 14, 2017 3:47 am

maxbaby01 wrote:
Per KLM's website. The seasonal service is now going to be year-round. Also starting at the end of October MSP will see it's first scheduled 787-900 service via KLM.

I believe this was the original post on the 789.

SteveXC500

Thu Sep 14, 2017 3:48 am

flyfresno wrote:
Dfthu wrote:

Are you sure it was a fueling stop? To being, it appears the a/c was filed all the way to PVG and then "diverted." The times I've seen fuel stops (UAL would occasionally make them in HNL going to SYD from LAX and SFO with strong winds) on flight aware, the trip was filed that way. Also, from Delta's website, it looks like it spent almost two hours on the ground: a pretty long time for a fuel stop. Seems more likely it diverted for another reason?

Planned fuel stop from people in the know.

BAINY3

Thu Sep 14, 2017 3:58 am

SteveXC500 wrote:
flyfresno wrote:
Dfthu wrote:

Planned fuel stop from people in the know.

Why was it able to run non-stop today? Combination of wind/temperature/load factor?

I actually saw the flight on its way out of the MSP area on Tuesday evening as it was climbing through the western suburbs. It was hazy but I kept doing double-takes wondering if that was really a 747 I was seeing! It's been a few years since I actually managed to see a 747 in the area except at cruise. I had to run to my phone's app to verify what I was seeing.

SteveXC500

Thu Sep 14, 2017 6:13 pm

Sounds like DL583 will be making a stop in MSP again Friday and Saturday (15th/16th).

Dfthu

Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:57 pm

SteveXC500 wrote:
Sounds like DL583 will be making a stop in MSP again Friday and Saturday (15th/16th).

Do you know when the DTW RWY construction will end? I heard in a few days they will be done. I'm also surprised they have the same route back to back.

jrkmsp

Fri Sep 15, 2017 2:04 am

Dfthu wrote:
SteveXC500 wrote:

Do you know when the DTW RWY construction will end? I heard in a few days they will be done. I'm also surprised they have the same route back to back.

Rwy construction runs through 9/19.

SteveXC500

Sun Sep 24, 2017 3:57 am

MSP-LAS, which first flew March/April 2017 and is again March to early April 2018, now seems to be a Saturday-only beyond that point. Was not this way in the prior schedule extension.

klakzky123

Sat Nov 04, 2017 10:05 pm

WN is adding MSP-OAK effective July 15th and MSP-DAL on June 3rd. Pretty nice additions for the airport.

SteveXC500

Sat Nov 04, 2017 11:16 pm

Except DAL is Sunday only. Seems very odd for this route.

SQ22

Re: Minneapolis air service discussion - 2016-2017

Sun Apr 15, 2018 7:20 am

Please continue your discussion here:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1391641

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos