IPFreely
Topic Author

Did Delta commit fraud?

Wed Aug 10, 2016 4:23 am

As everyone knows, Delta has had an operational disaster that began on Monday and is still continuing as of this moment. In the main discussion thread on the topic, various trolls and fanboys were pointing out throughout the day on Monday that Delta's website was selling tickets for flights later in the day on Monday and all day Tuesday, and showing seat availability. The trolls were using flights with open seats as evidence of some sort of operational recovery. As we all know many of those flights were actually cancelled, some well in advance of departure and some near departure. And many more were delayed, some by many hours. Until reading that thread it did not occur to me that Delta's so-called power outage did not affect their website or ticket sales. Which brings up the question -- is it fraud for an airline to sell a ticket for a same-day or next-day flight when they know that the flight in question will be cancelled? Once the airline accepts payment, the customer is screwed. They will be able to re-book for a later date and may receive a nearly worthless voucher but if they were buying a same-day or next-day ticket because they needed to travel, they likely have to eat the money they gave Delta and buy a duplicate ticket on another airline.

I am not a lawyer but it seems to me this is a question worth asking. So tonight I have written a letter to my state's Attorney General asking if it is considered fraud for an airline to sell a ticket for a flight if they know the flight will be, or likely will be cancelled. I encourage others to do the same. Our Attorney General's office has a strong consumer fraud protection service and I have also asked that they use their powers to help affected consumers receive appropriate compensation.

On a side note I believe that Delta should have immediately stopped selling tickets for Monday & Tuesday flights as soon as the meltdown began on Monday morning and I wish to thank all the trolls and fanboys who pointed out that Delta was selling tickets for cancelled flights.

jbs2886

Re: Did Delta commit fraud?

Wed Aug 10, 2016 4:32 am

This is not fraud in the slightest. Ignoring the fact that you haven't shown any evidence that Delta specifically sold a tickets on a flight it intended to cancel (yes, they probably did sell tickets on flights that ultimately were cancelled, but this is different), there has to be an intent to defraud a person. Also, to stop selling tickets for ALL flights is a bit extreme when only about a quarter (if I remember correctly) were cancelled. Furthermore, you are ignoring that each person buying a ticket on Monday and Tuesday for a flight on one of those days was doing so with HUGE WARNINGS on the FRONT PAGE. That is, in layman's terms, accepting the risk.

PIEAvantiP180

Re: Did Delta commit fraud?

Wed Aug 10, 2016 4:46 am

As a travel agent who spent the better part of last 2 days working on this mess I can tell you that the consumer is not screwed. DL gave refunds to anyone who wanted one and did not want to get rebooked, or found a new flight on a diff airline. Even if u purchased tickets today or yesterday per DOT rules you have 24hrs for a full refund even if u purchased a non refundable ticket. Since no one knew what flights wild go or get canceled I have had clients book on DL flights today and yesterday. Sone got lucky, others did not.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos