Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

oldannyboy
Topic Author

Gay pilots...

Thu Aug 11, 2016 9:38 am

Hey folks,

A couple of nights back I was talking to a friend who is a semi-pro footballer -and who is gay- who was saying that it's no longer a big deal now to be open about it and that his team mates are generally very cool and nonchalant about it. More and more sports professionals are finally allowed to be open about who they are he said.

I am wondering though, what is the situation for airline pilots...? I know there are many gay pilots because I have met them, but I am wondering if it is happening more now to have pilots who are open about their homosexuality, or if it's still frowned upon, like in the military. I know it probably depends from country to country, but my question is a generic one.. Being a gay F/A is pretty much a non-event, but I am wondering if pilots, Captains especially, are put under any pressure not to reveal their sexual identity?

Thank you.

usflyer123

Re: Gay pilots...

Thu Aug 11, 2016 9:58 am

in western airlines i really dont think its an issue, and also i think it gives a good name to the airline that it is open to all people.
and on the other hand, i dont see gay pilots on Saudia and the ME3, or even any other muslim country yet...
for most people the sky is the limit. for those who love aviation, the sky is home...

An767

Thu Aug 11, 2016 10:04 am

Does it really matter ? I am gay but that does not mean anything in my industrie . Sick of all the "gay" tags around the world. If I can do my job or any other gay person can do theres who cares

AN767
If its got wings put me on it. If it floats on water take it away

Motorhussy

Thu Aug 11, 2016 10:33 am

If I can do my job or any other gay person can do theres who cares

In the perfect world you'd be right, but the world is at best imperfect and minorities have to fight in most societies to be respected and acknowledged. One school of thought is that visibility normalises things and all groups need role models; female pilots for example. The young athlete struggling with his sexuality and his sport will be encouraged to hear about the OP's semi-pro friend, as I was.

Gay pilots, on the other hand, I don't think anybody would give a toss about, how would they know or not unless there was a 'fabulous' address from the flight deck?!
come visit the south pacific

EIDL

Thu Aug 11, 2016 11:20 am

I know a few, all with UK or Irish carriers.

The biggest problem they've had is that its impractical to go work for a sandpit airline; or to go hour-build on an SE Asian pay to fly carrier. Nothing stopping them in theory but it would involve giving up any relationships, social life they're accustomed to etc as well as obfuscating or downright lying about themselves. I'd imagine there are still plenty of gay pilots with those carriers though - there certainly are FAs.

SR380

Thu Aug 11, 2016 11:39 am

I really think it depend on where you work. As mentioned before, working in Saudi Arabia or Iran wouldn't be the same as working in the US or Eastern Europe. Never the less, some mentalities takes time to change. No later that in 2009, I flew SFO-ORD on AA. The cockpit crew happen to be all females. We got delay because at the gate some passengers wanted to get off... So...

kaitak

Thu Aug 11, 2016 11:52 am

Several US - and a small number of European carriers - also employ transgender pilots (and FAs). Again, much the same applies as with gay pilots, although the situation with transgender rights is a few years behind that of gay pilots as far as rights are concerned. However, as long as they can do their job, it's no problems. Most large carriers would have diversity programs which would happily accommodate gay or transgender pilots.

jfklganyc

Thu Aug 11, 2016 12:01 pm

US Aviation Profile of a Pilot: White, Straight, Male, Republican, Midwestern or Southern, Type A.

Of course not everyone fits that description. These days the cockpit is a very open place in the US believe it or not.

It is open under threat of employment to the closed-minded.

chepos

Thu Aug 11, 2016 12:03 pm

Plenty of gay pilots in the US of A, at least in the US the airline industry is a safe place ro work for if you are a member of the lgbt community. I have encountered more difficulties due to my ethnicity than due to my sexual orientation. While I am openly gay it is not spmething I see a need to advertise.
Fly the Flag!!!!

777222LR

Thu Aug 11, 2016 12:27 pm

American Airlines tends to be one of the most vocal when it comes to LGBT issues and rights. They routinely promote gay pride on their social media. Some airlines in the US are a bit more conservative when it comes to the issue, but all have non-discrimination policies, to my knowledge. Having said that, when AA promotes gay pride or gay rights, their social media feeds turn into a backlog of terrible, hateful comments, by those who completely do not understand issues surrounding LGBT people. I'm sure it's a headache for them on those days, but being gay myself, I so appreciate that they do that.

oldannyboy
Topic Author

Thu Aug 11, 2016 2:13 pm

Thanks everyone for your open, honest feedback.
I am a gay man myself and find that being open and "easy" about my sexuality is a very healthy thing in the workplace; it's this sort of daily exposure and visibility that I feel enables those who are not perhaps "aware" of diversity issues to get a chance and get accustomed to the fact that whilst we are all different, we are all equal... I am the first to dislike tags, but if it helps to raise awareness and visibility, and if this in turn helps someone who is younger and maybe a little insecure, then I am happy to wave the rainbow flag...
Peace.
Thanks again, Danny

ro1960

Thu Aug 11, 2016 2:29 pm

An767 wrote:
Does it really matter ? I am gay but that does not mean anything in my industrie . Sick of all the "gay" tags around the world. If I can do my job or any other gay person can do theres who cares

AN767

I don't think the OP meant to apply tags. It's more a question of openness and visibility. As simple as saying things like "my husband/boyfriend" for men or "my wife/girlfriend" for women in the briefing room or in the cockpit.
You may like my airport photos:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/aeroports

georgiaame

Thu Aug 11, 2016 2:34 pm

usflyer123 wrote:
i dont see gay pilots on Saudia and the ME3, or even any other muslim country yet...

Nor are you likely to, for any time soon. Let's just say, for "health" reasons.
"Trust, but verify!" An old Russian proverb, quoted often by a modern American hero

TWA1985

Thu Aug 11, 2016 2:35 pm

I am gay myself,and I have met several gay pilots in the Chicago area and none of them seem to have any issues in their perspective companies. I think that is extremely encouraging and a sign that tolerance is the rule these days.
Be Young. Be Wild. Be Free.

LeCoqFrancais

Thu Aug 11, 2016 2:47 pm

I know a Gay pilot at FX and he is very active in the LGBT communit via different organisations and associations, and he is an active member of the NGPA (National Gay Pilot Association). I'm Gay myself, and quite flamboyant about it so even if I agree that sexual orientation should not be looked at when hiring an employee I also know the harst truth that it usually is, one way or another...
I suggest you read this: https://www.runwaygirlnetwork.com/2016/ ... ight-deck/
Sébastien C. Tourillon

Eirules

Thu Aug 11, 2016 3:29 pm

I have often wondered about the number of gay people on anet & the number of gay people interested in aviation generally. In my experience there is a disproportionately large number of gay people interested in aviation versus many other hobbies / interests. The number of posts on this thread support that, but then maybe most people reading a topic about gay pilots are likely to be gay themselves thus leading to such statistics
The way you cut your meat reflects the way you live....

LeCoqFrancais

Thu Aug 11, 2016 4:05 pm

Eirules wrote:
I have often wondered about the number of gay people on anet & the number of gay people interested in aviation generally. In my experience there is a disproportionately large number of gay people interested in aviation versus many other hobbies / interests. The number of posts on this thread support that, but then maybe most people reading a topic about gay pilots are likely to be gay themselves thus leading to such statistics

I can not speak about A.net or the love for aviation in general and the Gay community, however I can say that most people in the aviation safety card collection world is Gay. Which can complicate the trades, as many gays want to trade safety cards only if the ones being traded are just like new.
Sébastien C. Tourillon

quic330

Thu Aug 11, 2016 4:15 pm

oldannyboy wrote:
Thanks everyone for your open, honest feedback.
I am a gay man myself and find that being open and "easy" about my sexuality is a very healthy thing in the workplace; it's this sort of daily exposure and visibility that I feel enables those who are not perhaps "aware" of diversity issues to get a chance and get accustomed to the fact that whilst we are all different, we are all equal... I am the first to dislike tags, but if it helps to raise awareness and visibility, and if this in turn helps someone who is younger and maybe a little insecure, then I am happy to wave the rainbow flag...
Peace.
Thanks again, Danny

TWA1985 wrote:
I am gay myself,and I have met several gay pilots in the Chicago area and none of them seem to have any issues in their perspective companies. I think that is extremely encouraging and a sign that tolerance is the rule these days.

Eirules wrote:

I'm gay myself and always thought of me like the odd one interested in aviation... but this post just blew my mind! (at leas a bit)
2018: AMS - BOS - BRU - CDG - EWR - FRA - GRU - HEL - HKG - LAX - LCY - LIS - MAD - MCO - MIA - MUC - MVD - ORD - OVD - PTY - PVG - RDU - SAN - SCQ - SFO - VCE - VNO - YYZ - ZRH

NW747-400

Thu Aug 11, 2016 4:30 pm

I am a gay pilot. I am not always completely open at work; I usually base the decision to talk about my personal life on how receptive my audience might be. Someone summed it up nicely: most pilots are white, heterosexual, conservative males and many have prior military service.

That being said, I've never felt uncomfortable at work. Most pilots have seen enough of the world to be generally accepting of gays and other minorities. I've had to occasionally let people know that their comments are getting inappropriate and offensive and I won't hear another word about it for the remainder of the trip.

There are thousands of gay pilots in the US alone. We all love our careers, and our companies are all very supportive of the LGBT community. The flight deck environment has taken quite a bit more time to evolve and welcome minorities compared to other departments in the industry, but overall its a very comfortable work environment and improving every day.

flyrocoak

Thu Aug 11, 2016 4:43 pm

quic330 wrote:

I'm gay myself and always thought of me like the odd one interested in aviation...

Bingo, same here.

I don't typically gravitate towards these types of post when going through the new Anet posts. It was the last one I poked into- as they're not nearly as interesting to me compared to new Boeing sales and jets, or schedule updates, the retirement of the A380 and the rebirth of the 747-8 :D , or stuff going on at the airports I am interested in. But, I am glad to hear (at least on Anet) that being a gay pilot isn't a big deal, as it should be.

tlecam

Thu Aug 11, 2016 4:45 pm

I volunteered at the GLAAD awards in NYC this year as my firm is a sponsor. Delta is also a sponsor - there were several LGBTQ pilots and flight attendants there as well. Nothing is perfect, but it does seem like society in the states is coming to either acceptance or indifference (e.g. you live your life, I'll live mine) Of course, there still are vocal bigots and its still painful for many LGBTQ people in rural and conservative areas, but overall, things are improving - especially int he workplace.

I'm sure it's a different story in certain parts of Asia, like the middle east.
BOS-LGA-JFK | A:319/20/21, 332/3, 346 || B:717, 735, 737, 738, 739, 752, 753, 762, 763, 764, 787, 772, 744 || MD80, MD90

knope2001

Thu Aug 11, 2016 5:45 pm

Eirules wrote:
I have often wondered about the number of gay people on anet & the number of gay people interested in aviation generally. In my experience there is a disproportionately large number of gay people interested in aviation versus many other hobbies / interests.

I agree there seem to be an over-representation in the travel industry of LGBT people, both as a career and as hobbiests. And over the years I’ve had friends speculate why that might be.

Obviously there’s a danger in stereotyping so take this with a grain of salt – plenty of people may have different experiences. But these are consensus items when the topic has come up.

--Some LGBTQ grew up in less-than-friendly confines or unpleasant circumstances, and travel careers appealed as a way to get out. These could range from getting away from physically dangerous family situations to simply not having as many ties to the old neighborhood or hometown to keep you there. Travel is one of the career paths which takes you away.

--Many LQBTQ people grow up with an awareness of being an “other” even if they are close to their families and communities. And when you don’t quite fit in this can open one’s eyes to the bigger world out there sooner than might otherwise happen. You recognize earlier that there’s more to life than your family, your neighborhood, your school – different sorts of people, different places, different ways of life, etc. And this can spur curiosity and the travel instinct. Not necessarily anything as dramatic as yearning for a place you fit in (though that can sometimes be) but earlier recognition that there’s so much out there.

--The LQBTQ life has (had?) traditionally been less family-geared, and many travel professions fit better with a less-anchored lifestyle. If you don’t foresee yourself setting down (with or without kids) any time soon, the possibility of a travel career is more wide open.

Certainly these are broad generalizations – being LGBTQ isn’t the only way to be born into difficult circumstances, feel like an “other” growing up, or gain the realization that there’s a whole lot to see and experience outside of your own narrow world. And plenty of young straight people don’t envision settling down. But I think these factors underlie a lot of the reasons why LGBTQ people are over-represented in the travel world, both as career and as hobby.

Crackshot

Thu Aug 11, 2016 5:52 pm

It's one of those things that shouldn't matter, but in the eyes of many it does. There's no inherent gay trait that would make one a lesser pilot (same with being female, or black, etc) but attitudes take a long time to change.

seven3seven

Thu Aug 11, 2016 6:21 pm

I am a 17 year captain for a major US airline and I'm gay.

When I was hired in 99 I was in the closet because I was new and working with a lot of older conservative white males. Then all of society changed over just a few years.

When I got into a long term relationship with my love of now 15 years I was proud to finally be out. In 17 years I've had 3 people who have been weird with gay people and not have the tact to keep their mouths shut. We had a talk and I still work well with all of them.

Today I still continually out myself when someone asks about what my wife does. But it's no big deal at all to tell them and we move on.
My views are mine alone and are not that of any of my fellow employees, officers, or directors at my company

MOW

Thu Aug 11, 2016 6:22 pm

Happened to fly in a cockpit of a western airline recently. The captain and the co-pilot spent literally half of the flight discussing gays (among the cabin crew and in general) and not in pleasant terms - with pure bigotry and hatred. Didn't they have other topics to discuss, I though to myself? And what would happen if one of them was mixed with an open gay pilot on one of their next flights? I would really hate to be on that flight for safety reasons.

quic330

Thu Aug 11, 2016 6:49 pm

flyrocoak wrote:
quic330 wrote:

I'm gay myself and always thought of me like the odd one interested in aviation...

Bingo, same here.

I don't typically gravitate towards these types of post when going through the new Anet posts. It was the last one I poked into- as they're not nearly as interesting to me compared to new Boeing sales and jets, or schedule updates, the retirement of the A380 and the rebirth of the 747-8 :D , or stuff going on at the airports I am interested in. But, I am glad to hear (at least on Anet) that being a gay pilot isn't a big deal, as it should be.

I agree 100%, I was very hesitant if this post was worth clicking. I'm happy to know that it seems we're not the odd ones (or at least we're several odd ones ;) )

BTW, you're very optimistic wishing for the rebirth of the 747-8 :lol:
2018: AMS - BOS - BRU - CDG - EWR - FRA - GRU - HEL - HKG - LAX - LCY - LIS - MAD - MCO - MIA - MUC - MVD - ORD - OVD - PTY - PVG - RDU - SAN - SCQ - SFO - VCE - VNO - YYZ - ZRH

usxguy

Thu Aug 11, 2016 7:20 pm

Some of you haven't been around here long enough, but the non-av coming out threads were always a fun read. Didn't ever get to see too many pilots in there, though.

I think a majority of gay aviators still keep it quiet as homophobia still exists in the business.
xx

Bohemian

Thu Aug 11, 2016 7:38 pm

How is the situation for gay pilots? It is the same as for every other 'normal' pilot at least here in Europe.
I'm openly gay and never had a bad experience because of my sexuality and there are many gay and lesbian colleagues who would tell you the same.

TWA1985

Thu Aug 11, 2016 7:56 pm

Bohemian wrote:
How is the situation for gay pilots? It is the same as for every other 'normal' pilot at least here in Europe.
I'm openly gay and never had a bad experience because of my sexuality and there are many gay and lesbian colleagues who would tell you the same.

I've heard the same thing from multiple gay pilots. Nobody seems to care at all. :-)
Be Young. Be Wild. Be Free.

Corpsnerd09

Thu Aug 11, 2016 10:51 pm

kaitak wrote:
Several US - and a small number of European carriers - also employ transgender pilots (and FAs). Again, much the same applies as with gay pilots, although the situation with transgender rights is a few years behind that of gay pilots as far as rights are concerned. However, as long as they can do their job, it's no problems. Most large carriers would have diversity programs which would happily accommodate gay or transgender pilots.

I've heard that one of the FAs in AA's safety video is transgender, and it's not the one most people usually point out either. I think it's interesting, but I've never confirmed this.

coolian2

Thu Aug 11, 2016 11:06 pm

Eirules wrote:

I take great offence at anecdotal evidence being called statistics. Total pet peeve.
Q300/ATR72-600/737-200/-300/-400/-700/-800/A320/767-200/-300/757-200/777-300ER/
747-200/-300/-400/ER/A340-300/A380-800/MD-83/-88/CRJ-700/-900

iahcsr

Thu Aug 11, 2016 11:26 pm

MOW wrote:
Happened to fly in a cockpit of a western airline recently. The captain and the co-pilot spent literally half of the flight discussing gays (among the cabin crew and in general) and not in pleasant terms - with pure bigotry and hatred. Didn't they have other topics to discuss, I though to myself? And what would happen if one of them was mixed with an open gay pilot on one of their next flights? I would really hate to be on that flight for safety reasons.

A few years ago an airline pilot was talking that way.. And he didn't know his radio mic was open and broadcasting his words to ATC and every other aircraft on frequency. IIRC he got in BIG trouble with his employer over it.
Working Hard, Flying Right Friendly....

EK773

Thu Aug 11, 2016 11:38 pm

Plenty of gay pilots in the ME3. Don't let stereotypes cloud your judgement.

777Jet

Thu Aug 11, 2016 11:41 pm

EK773 wrote:

Open or closet?

Just curious if the slave drivers there have *some* tolerance towards gays, or if they just don't know...
DC10-10/30,MD82/88/90, 717,727,732/3/4/5/7/8/9ER,742/4,752/3,763/ER,772/E/L/3/W,788/9, 306,320,321,332/3,346,359,388

AllSevens

Thu Aug 11, 2016 11:44 pm

There are a lot of gay pilots in the US, mainly. I am surprised that in other countries there are not more gay pilots attracted to the cockpit.

kearnet

Fri Aug 12, 2016 12:06 am

Well I'm not a pilot (although I really wanted to be one when I was younger), but I am the gay grandson of a commercial pilot (Robinson > Mohawk > Allegheny > USAIr).

Was my pilot grandfather gay? Well let me share the anecdote of when I came out to my grandmother:

It was 5 years ago, my grandfather had passed away about 12 years prior. I'd been in the process of coming out and had told everyone in my family except my grandmother. We were in her kitchen going though old paper work as she was getting ready to move. In one box, she came across my Catholic baptismal certificate. She asked if I wanted to keep it as we hadn't been practicing Catholics since I was about 3, and I hadn't gone to church in almost a decade. .

"Nah" I said "I don't need it"

"But what if you meet a nice Catholic girl?" she responded

"I doubt that will happen"

"Oh, why not?"

It was the moment of truth. She was an 88 year old woman, who was moving into hospice, and could be easily upset. Although she certainly wasn't homophobic, having a few gay acquaintances herself, I still didn't know how she'd take it. After debating whether I should keep the lie going in hopes of her being in peace or do I tell her the truth, for what seemed to me like eons. I decided I couldn't lie to her.

"Well, that's 'cause I'm gay"

My grandmother reaction was the best. Why? Because there wasn't one. Without blinking, pausing, or raising an eyebrow she simply replied.

"Oh, I always thought your grandfather was gay"

Now it was my turn to react.

"WHAT?!?!?!"

"Well you know we never had a happy marriage and the only reason we did marry was because our families made us. Fellow pilot friends always thought it was odd he never chatted up the girls in back the way they did*."

"So.... You don't care that I'm gay?"

"No not at all dear as long has your happy and healthy"

*This was back in the classic days of flying where the flight attendants had to be slim, beautiful, and unmarried and had strict... er...ehm.... "Dimensional requirements".
C402 9K | B1900D US | ATR72 AA | DHC8 US | CRJ2 US | E175 UA | E190 B6 | D93 US | M88 US/AA | 732 US | 733 US/WN | 734 US | 73G WN | B738 FJ/QF | B752 US/AA | B762 DL | B77W EK | F28 US | F100 US | A319 US | A320 B6 | A332 FJ | A380 EK

mariner

Fri Aug 12, 2016 12:15 am

Bohemian wrote:
How is the situation for gay pilots?

There is an association in the US - the National Gay Pilots Association - and a Facebook page:

https://www.facebook.com/NGPA.FB/?fref=nf

There's an interesting article here - with photos of pilots:

https://www.runwaygirlnetwork.com/2016/ ... ight-deck/

"National Gay Pilots Association spreads advocacy beyond flight deck"

mariner
aeternum nauta

LeCoqFrancais

Fri Aug 12, 2016 1:02 am

mariner wrote:
Bohemian wrote:
How is the situation for gay pilots?

There is an association in the US - the National Gay Pilots Association - and a Facebook page:

https://www.facebook.com/NGPA.FB/?fref=nf

There's an interesting article here - with photos of pilots:

https://www.runwaygirlnetwork.com/2016/ ... ight-deck/

"National Gay Pilots Association spreads advocacy beyond flight deck"

mariner

I had already posted that exact article a few posts up, its a good article that I shared on my aviation blog as well. I had a few people dislike my blog when I started too support the NGPA and other Gay and LGBT foundations and associations, but after all I have my aviation blog for my own pleasure and if people don't want to read it then be it.
Sébastien C. Tourillon

USAirKid

Fri Aug 12, 2016 1:13 am

I'm not in the industry, but I've been a geek about planes ever since I was a kid flying US Air out of BGM..

AFAIK, Unions have long been supportive of many minorities including LGBT people, but I'm not sure if that was also the case in the airline industry. If it was, I'd expect it worked toward their LGBT folks' advantage.

Whywhyjay

Fri Aug 12, 2016 1:24 am

It's so nice to see this has been up for eight hours now and not one single negative or offensive comment.
Whywhyjay
Whywhyjay?
Vickers Viscount. DHC-3, 6, 7, 8, Q-400 CRJ. 720-B, 727, 732, 738, 739, 742, 744, 762, 773, 788. DC-3, 9,10, MD-81.
A-310, 319, 320, 333. E-190. L-1011. BAE-ATP.

crownvic

Fri Aug 12, 2016 3:15 am

jfklganyc wrote:
US Aviation Profile of a Pilot: White, Straight, Male, Republican, Midwestern or Southern, Type A.

Of course not everyone fits that description. These days the cockpit is a very open place in the US believe it or not.

It is open under threat of employment to the closed-minded.

Ironically, even though I fit this description you listed above, I would say the forum participants are dominated by the complete opposite, yet I am here. Why? Because I could care less. The gay community has got to let it go. People are always going to hate gays, minorities and people with 3 eyes, but the more you make it an issue, the more you will allow it to linger and bring attention to it. OK everyone, start throwing darts at me, but I am just trying to help you out.

Beatyair

Fri Aug 12, 2016 3:26 am

It is nobody's business. You are there to fly a plane, to carry people or cargo safely from one place to another, that is it.

Atlwarrior

Fri Aug 12, 2016 4:21 am

Who cares about your sexuality. You want a male or female who is component. I notice threads about sexuality on airliners.net. I think we should talk about aviation.

b747400erf

Fri Aug 12, 2016 4:44 am

EK773 wrote:

What stereotypes? You cannot be openly gay it is illegal. In the west, there are gay pilots, most prefer to be silent but many are open. Anywhere else, you risk losing a job or even going to jail and you keep your sexuality private. If you want the ME3 region to be thought of as more open, perhaps you can petition your governments to not be so authoritarian. Instead of complaining how judgemental people are about countries that are strictly illiberal.

SWALUV

Fri Aug 12, 2016 5:05 am

As a gay pilot, I'm glad to say that I have yet to run into an issue with homophobia in the cockpit. Granted, I don't really bring it up unless someones asks about it, or if relationships come up in conversation. Some of my most supportive friends have come from this industry. It's really taken a turn for the better!

boilergo

Fri Aug 12, 2016 6:10 am

I haven't ever really had an issue with it at all. I've worked in multiple capacities in commercial, corporate, and military aviation, and for the most part was openly gay, though very few people assumed I was. When they found out they were surprised, but at the same time didn't care one bit. One place I worked was a Canadian-based company that had pretty much the most inclusive policies of any company in aviation, and the topic there didn't come up for literally years. Again, when it did, everyone had an "oh!" moment, and that was it. From operations, to ramp, to flight operations, everyone has been cool. I know that everyone has their own different experiences, and it may be because (and please don't shoot me) I enjoy and associate with many things society would consider "heterosexual," but I am very lucky and fortunate to say I have never had a bad one. I love airplanes, pickup trucks, guns, being from Texas, rowing, a good game of basketball, camping, and hiking. And I enjoy being myself and having such an awesome group of friends who define each other by who we are and the friendships we share, not because of it.

euroflyer

Fri Aug 12, 2016 10:01 am

Eirules wrote:
I have often wondered about the number of gay people on anet & the number of gay people interested in aviation generally. In my experience there is a disproportionately large number of gay people interested in aviation versus many other hobbies / interests.

I also share this point of view, and I can't help to think that's it's in some way related to the "phallic shape" of airplanes ;) I mean there's not that much crowd when it comes to helicopters for example haha...
Please don't see any offense, I'm gay myself !
Born to fly !

oldannyboy
Topic Author

Fri Aug 12, 2016 10:16 am

Dear Friend,

I am herein extending you all my sincere thanks for making this thread so interesting, honest, collegial and constructive. I was certainly not envisaging so much interest...
I appreciate all your feedback.
And I am glad that not a single nasty or venomous comment has been posted, and that we've all -gay and non-gay!- managed to keep the discussion open and respectful.

Regards,

Danny

oldannyboy
Topic Author

Fri Aug 12, 2016 10:22 am

ro1960 wrote:
An767 wrote:

AN767

I don't think the OP meant to apply tags. It's more a question of openness and visibility. As simple as saying things like "my husband/boyfriend" for men or "my wife/girlfriend" for women in the briefing room or in the cockpit.

Exactly.
All about being frank about who I am when/if the moment comes.

oldannyboy
Topic Author

Fri Aug 12, 2016 10:30 am

NW747-400 wrote:
I am a gay pilot. I am not always completely open at work; I usually base the decision to talk about my personal life on how receptive my audience might be. Someone summed it up nicely: most pilots are white, heterosexual, conservative males and many have prior military service.

That being said, I've never felt uncomfortable at work. Most pilots have seen enough of the world to be generally accepting of gays and other minorities. I've had to occasionally let people know that their comments are getting inappropriate and offensive and I won't hear another word about it for the remainder of the trip.

There are thousands of gay pilots in the US alone. We all love our careers, and our companies are all very supportive of the LGBT community. The flight deck environment has taken quite a bit more time to evolve and welcome minorities compared to other departments in the industry, but overall its a very comfortable work environment and improving every day.

Thanks for your great feedback!