Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

a3xx900
Topic Author

Eurowings longhaul ops - mismanagement?

Fri Aug 12, 2016 11:30 am

Hi everyone,

EW has cancelled all CGN BOS flights. No flights available for booking anymore and already booked pax (me and a friend included) received a simple email today stating that the flight was cancelled and EW would work on rebooking to other airlines "within the next few days".
No official statement from EW yet, however, a little birdy confirmed this is due to lack of crews.

After axing of LAS flights, multiple incidents of day-long delays and stranded passengers, now BOS cancellation and rumors have it that DXB will get axed for the winter schedule as well - can you still blame the lack of crews or is it simply put really bad management? In the end, they have the word "Lufthansa" written on the planes - how can a large and successful company like LH accept this kind of carelessness?

I am not writing this to rant about EW because I am one of the "victims" (at least i will get rebooked to LH, that's what they said on the hotline at least). I simply think this is really, really bad management and would like to hear your opinions/insights on this.
Why is 10 afraid of 7? Because 7 8 9.

steman

Re: Eurowings longhaul ops - mismanagement?

Fri Aug 12, 2016 12:03 pm

It does look like a lack of organisation and bad management. You can expect that from a small startup airline, like WOW Air, when they started long haul. But not really from what effectively is a Lufthansa Group airline.
It kinda feels as if LH didn´t really put their heart in it.
They are definitely losing time and causing damage to their image if they want to become a credible alternative to Norwegian, WOW, air berlin, Condor, etc on the long haul leisure market.

oldannyboy

Fri Aug 12, 2016 1:40 pm

Really bad scene me thinks... I feel that LH have done a real balls up with having EW go long-haul... Of course there is bad managerial skills behind this, but also a lack of a mid-term strategy..no clear thinking... and no plan B.

TUGMASTER

Fri Aug 12, 2016 2:44 pm

Unsure about EW..., but I know LH were >1000 cabin staff short this summer... Due to the poor wages it pays new hires... And if LH can't fill the gaps, I
Pretty much doubt it's loco operation can.

hjulicher

Fri Aug 12, 2016 2:59 pm

EW is run completely independently from LH so perhaps that's why we're seeing so many operational issues. LH didn't want the LH mentality and 'way of doing things' interfere with a 'real' LCC, so EW is effectively run by different people who have few if any ties to LH.

In the beginning, the problem was that EW had too few aircraft that if an aircraft went AOG, they had hardly any options as they didn't have spares.

Then a 3rd aircraft was added to the fleet, but since SunExpress flight crews are doing the flying, there aren't enough crews to man the flights. This is likely the reason why we see BOS and LAS being cancelled. LAS being just too far and taking too much block time, and BOS not being as much of a leisure destination as MIA.

Naturally this is beneficial for the Air Berlin out of DUS. I doubt many people in the US realize that Eurowings is part of the Lufthansa Group. So the most damage is being done in the home market.

LH itself is short flight crew as well as it refuses to hire any new pilots until a new agreement is reached with VC. Therefore, the only growth you can expect to see is from Jump routes, and given that we're seeing a start of a recession, I doubt that there will be very much ASM growth long-haul coming from LH.
Detroit Moves the World!
LH 442

VS4ever

Fri Aug 12, 2016 3:24 pm

steman wrote:
It does look like a lack of organisation and bad management. You can expect that from a small startup airline, like WOW Air, when they started long haul. But not really from what effectively is a Lufthansa Group airline.
It kinda feels as if LH didn´t really put their heart in it.
They are definitely losing time and causing damage to their image if they want to become a credible alternative to Norwegian, WOW, air berlin, Condor, etc on the long haul leisure market.

Well in some ways this helps with the BOS crush at 5pm 3x weekly, but sad to see. I am sure AB will be happy, but i wonder if it opens the door for someone else to fill the gap if CGN was doing ok? especially if there are a bunch of folks out there who have booked already and looking for options now? It's short notice, or do the other services BOS has from DUS, FRA and MUC take up the slack?
That feeling when you sit at the end of a runway, brakes are released and the raw power takes over. Now that is a thing of beauty and it never gets old.

a3xx900
Topic Author

Fri Aug 12, 2016 6:18 pm

The service was supposed to be seasonal with last flight on 10/30. but effective 8/28 all flights are cancelled and already booked pax will be accommodated on LH group "or other" airlines. We received the cancellation notice today and no word on other options. It will "take a few days" to provide us with a rebooking option which we can use or get our money back. Let's see what they can come up with.

It is true that EW is independently run and most brand damage is done in Europe, but as LH I would want the damage to be as small as possible. Especially since the strikes and word about low payments for new staff already did take its toll.
Why is 10 afraid of 7? Because 7 8 9.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos