Legend757
Topic Author

OO-AA Announce Daily SGU-PHX

Fri Aug 12, 2016 4:00 pm

"SkyWest Airlines, a subsidiary of SkyWest, Inc. is pleased to bring new daily American Airlines flights between St. George, Utah
and Phoenix beginning Nov. 4, 2016. Tickets become available for purchase Saturday, Aug. 13..."

St. George to Phoenix
Depart Arrive Freq
8:00 a.m. 8:05 a.m. Daily

Phoenix to St. George
Depart Arrive Freq
5:00 p.m. 7:05 p.m. Daily

Aircraft: CRJ

http://www.skywest.com/assets/Uploads/P ... elease.pdf

Nice to see air service growth at this new airport. Unfortunately, the airport's close proximity to LAS hampers a lot of air service growth. Currently, OO-UA operates 2 daily flights to DEN and OO-DL operates 4 daily to SLC. UA used to offer LAX on EMB-120s. With a very fast growing metro of over 150,000 and a host of very popular state and national parks near SGU, I would think they would be able to support additional service.

Perhaps:
DFW on AA
SFO on UA (possibly the return of LAX)
SEA on DL or AS
Maybe even SY to MSP for the winter months?

mtnwest1979

Re: OO-AA Announce Daily SGU-PHX

Fri Aug 12, 2016 4:16 pm

I see they will be changing the times a week or so after starting, due to UT switch back to MST. Nice to see the add to PHX.
Riddle: Which lasts longer, a start-up airline or a start-up football league?

MIflyer12

Fri Aug 12, 2016 7:11 pm

Since one needs a car to visit the national parks, anyway, LAS is better for virtually all international travelers and most domestic travelers. Frequency, fare competition, mainline reliability, attractions of Las Vegas -- all of it.

Maybe they'll get enough well-heeled retirees out of St George who won't make the 2-hr drive to LAS.

clrd4t8koff

Fri Aug 12, 2016 7:22 pm

MIflyer12 wrote:
Since one needs a car to visit the national parks, anyway, LAS is better for virtually all international travelers and most domestic travelers. Frequency, fare competition, mainline reliability, attractions of Las Vegas -- all of it.

Maybe they'll get enough well-heeled retirees out of St George who won't make the 2-hr drive to LAS.

Just did this drive in May when visiting Zion and Bryce Canyon. Very scenic drive and some cool areas outside of Vegas on the way, namely Valley of Fire. But being able to fly into SGU would have been much more convenient.

910A

Fri Aug 12, 2016 10:29 pm

mtnwest1979 wrote:
I see they will be changing the times a week or so after starting, due to UT switch back to MST. Nice to see the add to PHX.

Why would they start this two days before the time change?

toltommy

Fri Aug 12, 2016 11:04 pm

Does this flying fall under AA's regular contract for AA flying or is it at risk flying by OO? It could be an easy way to get the plane back to SGU for regular MX. But I'm sure it'll be welcome service at SGU.
A300/A310/A319/A320/A321/A332/A333/707/712/727/732/733/734/735/738/739/752/753/762/763/764/772/789/DC8/DC9-10/30/40/50/MD81/83/87/88/90/L1011-/250/500/CRJ200/440/700/900/EMB135/140/145/170/175/190/328Jet/F70/SF3/BE1/J31

CIDFlyer

Sat Aug 13, 2016 1:33 am

Good to see this add, now SGU has service on all 3 legacies. Was always a little surprised they didnt have a PHX flight. Wonder if G4 would ever start there? maybe to LAX or OAK? I got to visit this city a couple years ago and was amazed on how beautiful it was and I couldnt get over seeing palm trees in Utah (granted they are close to the AZ/NV border but still. Would love to go back.

DiscoverCSG

Sat Aug 13, 2016 1:43 am

clrd4t8koff wrote:

Just did this drive in May when visiting Zion and Bryce Canyon. Very scenic drive and some cool areas outside of Vegas on the way, namely Valley of Fire. But being able to fly into SGU would have been much more convenient.

If I had written this post myself, it would have been 100% accurate - I flew into LAS in May, rented a car, drove through Valley of Fire and past SGU to hike in Zion and then Bryce, then returned to LAS.

I hate Las Vegas (I had a horrible experience with a hotel there when I arrived after midnight with a confirmed reservation and they told me to come back after 6:00 a.m. so I could get into my room, and a similarly bad experience with the car rental place about a scratch. Plus I can't stand the gambling/partying scene), and I like hiking in Utah. Flights to SGU (on AA... I'm an EXP) would have been worth paying extra.

usxguy

Sat Aug 13, 2016 4:14 am

this is probably all at-risk, but since SGU is home to SkyWest and also a fairly large maintenance facility, this could be an easy way to cycle planes around without doing a lot of empty-leg or repo flying.
xx

mountainwest90

Sat Aug 13, 2016 10:34 am

toltommy wrote:
It could be an easy way to get the plane back to SGU for regular MX. But I'm sure it'll be welcome service at SGU.

usxguy wrote:
this is probably all at-risk, but since SGU is home to SkyWest and also a fairly large maintenance facility, this could be an easy way to cycle planes around without doing a lot of empty-leg or repo flying.

I agree that this is probably at risk Pro-rate flying, but just to set the record straight SkyWest has no MX facilites in SGU. They use to a long time ago when they were at the old airport but not anymore. AA flying in PHX gets its regular MX done either in PSP/FAT/SLC/TUS.

Still I'm happy for the add. I think the route will do better than expected. I know the SGU-DEN flying does pretty good. I'm surprised they haven't tested out 3 daily flights on that route.

usxguy

Sat Aug 13, 2016 3:08 pm

I keep forgetting about the "OLD" airport... btw what ever happened to the pilot that took a CRJ for a joyride into the parking lot at SGU?
xx

amcnd

Sat Aug 13, 2016 4:21 pm

toltommy wrote:
Does this flying fall under AA's regular contract for AA flying or is it at risk flying by OO? It could be an easy way to get the plane back to SGU for regular MX. But I'm sure it'll be welcome service at SGU.

No MX in sgu.. Mater of fact. No Hanger either...

usflyer123

Sat Aug 13, 2016 5:39 pm

maybe UA can add SFO and its not likely but maybe an AS SEA-SGU...
for most people the sky is the limit. for those who love aviation, the sky is home...

whatusaid

Sat Aug 13, 2016 6:46 pm

mountainwest90 wrote:
toltommy wrote:
It could be an easy way to get the plane back to SGU for regular MX. But I'm sure it'll be welcome service at SGU.

usxguy wrote:

I agree that this is probably at risk Pro-rate flying, but just to set the record straight SkyWest has no MX facilites in SGU. They use to a long time ago when they were at the old airport but not anymore. AA flying in PHX gets its regular MX done either in PSP/FAT/SLC/TUS.

Still I'm happy for the add. I think the route will do better than expected. I know the SGU-DEN flying does pretty good. I'm surprised they haven't tested out 3 daily flights on that route.

I believe that aircraft to be used at SGU had rotated into FAT nightly for MX work. As of November 4, there's a Mesa CRJ900 on that FAT flight instead of the OO CRJ200.

Maverick623

Sat Aug 13, 2016 7:21 pm

usxguy wrote:
I keep forgetting about the "OLD" airport... btw what ever happened to the pilot that took a CRJ for a joyride into the parking lot at SGU?

He killed himself while still on the airplane.
"PHX is Phoenix, PDX is the other city" -777Way

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos