Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

adamblang
Topic Author

UA AFA membership ratifies contract

Fri Aug 12, 2016 5:47 pm

The AFA-represented employees of United have ratified a new, unified contract, 53-47, with 90% of eligible co-workers participating in the vote.

https://ourcontract.org/news/2016/8/12/united-is-united

Glad to see this outstanding, complicated, and thorny piece of the merger has finally been resolved.

And since I'm not an AFA-represented United employee, I have no opinion on the merit of the contract – it's not my place to say.

United1

Re: UA AFA membership ratifies contract

Fri Aug 12, 2016 5:51 pm

You beat me by 30 seconds :)

90% voted with 53% approving the contract...was a bit closer than I would have liked but it's done.

Now just need to get the mechanics together which is something that Oscar has been working on personally.
I know the voices in my head aren't real but sometimes their ideas are just awesome!!!

CALTECH

Fri Aug 12, 2016 5:55 pm

Yes, they were waiting to see what the Flight Attendants would do. They supposedly were meeting all this week.

http://unitedafa.org/news/details.aspx?id=17113
You are here.

seabosdca

Fri Aug 12, 2016 5:55 pm

This is fantastic news.

Now let's hope the losing FAs have more maturity about the result than the sUA and sCO dead-enders around here.

Does anyone have a sense of whether the dissent all came from one side (sUA or sCO)?

MSPNWA

Fri Aug 12, 2016 5:59 pm

From an operational perspective, hallelujah. Finally.

But it was close, and I hope the results don't drive unfriendly behavior from the 47% to customers.

Also, I don't know any of details of the contract, so I just hope it was a fair deal for all three sides.

CALTECH

Fri Aug 12, 2016 6:08 pm

MSPNWA wrote:
From an operational perspective, hallelujah. Finally.

But it was close, and I hope the results don't drive unfriendly behavior from the 47% to customers.

Also, I don't know any of details of the contract, so I just hope it was a fair deal for all three sides.

There were items that were liked and disliked for all sides. That usually means it was pretty fair. Time to move along.....
You are here.

CALTECH

Fri Aug 12, 2016 6:10 pm

seabosdca wrote:
This is fantastic news.

Now let's hope the losing FAs have more maturity about the result than the sUA and sCO dead-enders around here.

Does anyone have a sense of whether the dissent all came from one side (sUA or sCO)?

Heard most sCAL didn't like it, sUAL did. But heard today from Operations it was the other way around. Maybe the breakdown will be released, but it really doesn't matter, there is a joint FA contract.
You are here.

United787

Fri Aug 12, 2016 6:17 pm

That is great news!!! Congratulations to UA and Oscar especially.

jetblastdubai

Fri Aug 12, 2016 6:51 pm

CALTECH wrote:

Maybe the breakdown will be released, but it really doesn't matter, there is a joint FA contract.

There are no more sides. They're finally ONE group. Those that are still carrying the hatchet need to bury it now and get on with business.

United787

Fri Aug 12, 2016 6:54 pm

Does anyone have any idea of timetable for implementation?

http://newsroom.united.com/news-releases?item=124698

mmahpeel

Fri Aug 12, 2016 7:04 pm

United787 wrote:
Does anyone have any idea of timetable for implementation?

http://newsroom.united.com/news-releases?item=124698

page 316 of the Agreement starts a detailed implementation plan:

http://ourcontract.org/docs/ta/ta-full.pdf

AAlaxfan

Fri Aug 12, 2016 7:41 pm

Question: How is the seniority provision going to effect combined list and is it a "fair" provision? Quoted below.

"Upon assignment to the line, a newly employed Flight Attendant shall have her/his
Flight Attendant, Company and pay seniority dates adjusted to the date of entering
Flight Attendant training, provided such training period was unbroken prior to
successful completion and assignment to the line. "
My favorite airport is the one I'm flying to! :airplane:

piedmont762

Fri Aug 12, 2016 7:43 pm

Congratulations! Happy that the airline can finally merge.

Unbelievable it took this long and really shows how Smisek didn't care about unity.

etops1

Fri Aug 12, 2016 8:06 pm

Congrats to the United team .... This also benefits the AA FA's ..

AA Flight Service & Labor Communications
Friday, August 12, 2016
All flight attendants

New joint collective bargaining agreement for United flight attendants

Earlier today United announced their flight attendants voted to accept the tentative agreement they reached back in June. This is great news for them as they’ve been working under separate contracts since their merger with Continental Airlines in 2010.

As we mentioned before, it’s possible the economics of their agreement may affect the American/APFA JCBA. We’ve been reviewing United’s proposed contract and, now that their flight attendants have given it a thumbs up, we plan to meet with APFA in the coming weeks to discuss our findings. We hope to be able to share more information soon.

Keith McCarty

Manager, Flight Service & Labor Communications

Tugger

Fri Aug 12, 2016 8:24 pm

Congratulations to the United FA's and the whole United Team!

Still one group to go but this was the toughest out there as it really split the airline and loyalties as there were two separate groups both doing supposedly the same job. Now they get to move forward as a single team together. That is invaluable to both the FA's and United.

Tugg
I don’t know that I am unafraid to be myself, but it is hard to be somebody else. - W. Shatner
There are many kinds of sentences that we think state facts about the world but that are really just expressions of our attitudes. - F. Ramsey

Prost

Fri Aug 12, 2016 8:27 pm

Congratulations. I'm a member of Delta now after the DL/NW merger, and I've made a lot of friends. Now that United is getting their contracts settled, they can refine what they've been doing for the past 12 months, and all employees and their customers will benefit as well. I've made a lot of friends from 'the other side' and we're all on the same side now. You'll all do well, and you'll finally be getting a well deserved raise.

Congratulations to you all, and I look forward to seeing you folks at the airport!

Tugger

Fri Aug 12, 2016 11:58 pm

I must admit I am curious what the FA's themselves think. I am sure are pleased, some are not, and some are just glad its done.

Tugg
I don’t know that I am unafraid to be myself, but it is hard to be somebody else. - W. Shatner
There are many kinds of sentences that we think state facts about the world but that are really just expressions of our attitudes. - F. Ramsey

jetblastdubai

Sat Aug 13, 2016 12:53 am

United1 wrote:
Now just need to get the mechanics together which is something that Oscar has been working on personally.

This just came across the wires:

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/united-ai ... 48052.html

"Aug 12 (Reuters) - United Continental Holdings Inc has reached a deal for the first labor contract in its history that covers all 9,000 maintenance technicians at the company, their union and the airline said on Friday, a breakthrough just months after the union sought U.S. regulatory approval to strike."

etops1

Sat Aug 13, 2016 2:00 am

Wow! If these mechanics get a signing bonus or retro then the FA's are going to be royally pissed . They are gonna feel like they were played .

mcdu

Sat Aug 13, 2016 11:44 am

etops1 wrote:
Wow! If these mechanics get a signing bonus or retro then the FA's are going to be royally pissed . They are gonna feel like they were played .

It was explained to them by their leadership. There was x amount of money. It could all go to pay and work rules but it would be diluted with a retro or signing bonus. They chose the first two. I understand why they did that with the tri party negotiations it would have been a difficult split plus all the new FA's most likely would not have been able to participate. I think they knew they needed the junior votes so you wouldn't want to alienate them in the process.

OOer

Sat Aug 13, 2016 6:39 pm

The UAL Contract will bring UAL F/As slightly above AA F/As and substantially above DL F/As. The hourly rates are all very similar $61-62 per hour but UAL benefits and other compensation measures are far better than DL F/As and somewhat better overall than AA F/As.

etops1

Sun Aug 14, 2016 1:09 am

True but ... Our company (AA) will basically match what UA just got . Our union (APFA) is in talks with the company to see what enhancements we will get in response to UA's new contract . The one airline that comes out losing here is Delta in my opinion .

OOer

Sun Aug 14, 2016 1:22 am

etops1 wrote:
True but ... Our company (AA) will basically match what UA just got . Our union (APFA) is in talks with the company to see what enhancements we will get in response to UA's new contract . The one airline that comes out losing here is Delta in my opinion .

Yes, I agree. AA will have to match the value of what UAL got. That doesn't mean the hourly rate will be the same because compensation is made up of so much more than just hourly rate.

DL will probably come out and announce a small raise for F/As (3-4%) and implement it next April as they usually do. Then they'll say..."hey look, you're paid more than AA and UAL" because the hourly rate will be a little higher. All you have to do is look at Delta's health insurance plans to see how they screw their employees. That alone is worth thousands of dollars per year for AA and UAL.

etops1

Sun Aug 14, 2016 2:53 am

So right ! It's not just compensation . It's the over all package . Although we were told that if UA's contract value exceeded AA's total value then we would see the gains in our wages .

CALTECH

Mon Aug 22, 2016 11:19 pm

etops1 wrote:

Why do you think it was announced so quickly after the Flight Attendants contract approval ?
You are here.

klwright69

Fri Sep 02, 2016 3:04 pm

Okay so the new contract is inked and done. Will there be a lot of movement of flight attendants to other bases? When will the FA's from both groups completely merge and start doing flights together as one group? UA still has a crew base in CLE right?

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos