Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

chiraagnt
Topic Author

Scoot launches SIN-ATH from 20 June 2017

Tue Aug 16, 2016 3:03 am

It's official! Scoot is set to enter Europe from 20 June! First flight will be to Athens!

The Singapore-Athens route will be serviced by Scoot’s fleet of Boeing 787-8 Dreamliners. The planes are fitted with eight crew bunks and a total of 329 seats, including 18 in ScootBiz.

There will be four flights from Singapore to Athens per week, taking off at 2am (Singapore time) and arriving in Athens at about 8.30am (Athens time).

Source: http://www.flyscoot.com/en/sg-athens
http://m.todayonline.com/singapore/scoo ... ing-athens
Last edited by chiraagnt on Tue Aug 16, 2016 5:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

Freshside3

Re: Scoot launches SIN-ATH from 20 June 2017

Tue Aug 16, 2016 3:56 am

ATH has needed an Asian trip in the worst way. TG stopped flying to ATH a few years back. KE flew ICN-ATH last year, but for whatever reason, didn't renew it for this summer.

SQ was part of this deal called the "Tag Initiative" which was supposed to make ATH into a hub, with the cooperation of the ATH airport, and A3(plus the possibility of AC and CA being involved). Not only did this initiative not materialize, but SQ did not come back for the summer.

CI was supposed to start TPE-ATH a couple of months ago, but the Greek government denied them the authority to fly into ATH at the last minute.

This leaves only CA, which has a very inconvenient and convoluted routing of PEK-MUC-ATH-MUC-PEK, with backtracking in both directions.

Glad to see Scoot step up to the plate!!

910A

Tue Aug 16, 2016 4:02 am

Freshside3 wrote:
CI was supposed to start TPE-ATH a couple of months ago, but the Greek government denied them the authority to fly into ATH at the last minute.

What was the government reasoning to denied the authority to CI?

LGAviation

Tue Aug 16, 2016 4:05 am

910A wrote:
Freshside3 wrote:

What was the government reasoning to denied the authority to CI?

Maybe that has something to do with their involvement with the Chinese in the Athens Piraeus seaport deal, but that is just speculation
2018: ADD CPH DAR DEN DME DUB FRA HAH HAM IST JIB KEF LYR MEL OSL PEK PKC PVG RAK STN SVO SYD YVR

chiraagnt
Topic Author

Tue Aug 16, 2016 4:18 am

This is the perfect example of how the group matrix strategy is coming along (having a long haul FSC and LCC, and a short haul LCC and FSC). SIA couldn't make Athens work previously after it suspended the route (other than charter flights) so Scoot gets the chance to make it work from the SIN hub. Wouldn't be surprised if more suspended routes follow like MAD. Apparently, BCN seemed to be a contender for a scoot flight but SIA announced increases to BCN for the upcoming winter period so it should be doing well enough!

9MMPD

Tue Aug 16, 2016 4:52 am

chiraagnt wrote:
This is the perfect example of how the group matrix strategy is coming along (having a long haul FSC and LCC, and a short haul LCC and FSC). SIA couldn't make Athens work previously after it suspended the route (other than charter flights) so Scoot gets the chance to make it work from the SIN hub. Wouldn't be surprised if more suspended routes follow like MAD. Apparently, BCN seemed to be a contender for a scoot flight but SIA announced increases to BCN for the upcoming winter period so it should be doing well enough!

Did SQ serve MAD with their own metal? I thought BCN was their first entry into the Spanish market. I would say FCO would and even IST would be on the list for Scoot. Both are mainly leisure driven routes and both would feed quite well with the high number of Italians and Turkish populations that live in Australia, not to mention both destinations are very popular for Australians to holiday.

imagoagnitio

Tue Aug 16, 2016 5:08 am

OOL(Gold Coast)-ATH flights around $440 O/W.

Can't resist 10 days in the sun at that price and a couple of days shopping in SIN.

:shock:

MrHMSH

Tue Aug 16, 2016 5:18 am

9MMPD wrote:
chiraagnt wrote:

Did SQ serve MAD with their own metal? I thought BCN was their first entry into the Spanish market. I would say FCO would and even IST would be on the list for Scoot. Both are mainly leisure driven routes and both would feed quite well with the high number of Italians and Turkish populations that live in Australia, not to mention both destinations are very popular for Australians to holiday.

My memory may be faulty on this, but I believe SQ served MAD from ZRH. I remember seeing it on a route map somewhere, but I'd need clarification.

Good to see TZ going far, I would love if they launched destinations in Western Europe.

OA260

Tue Aug 16, 2016 7:27 am

Freshside3 wrote:
ATH has needed an Asian trip in the worst way. TG stopped flying to ATH a few years back. KE flew ICN-ATH last year, but for whatever reason, didn't renew it for this summer.

SQ was part of this deal called the "Tag Initiative" which was supposed to make ATH into a hub, with the cooperation of the ATH airport, and A3(plus the possibility of AC and CA being involved). Not only did this initiative not materialize, but SQ did not come back for the summer.

This leaves only CA, which has a very inconvenient and convoluted routing of PEK-MUC-ATH-MUC-PEK, with backtracking in both directions.

That hub idea of SQ "rumor" was a non starter when chatter started to emerge. Most people knew it would not happen.

b747400erf

Tue Aug 16, 2016 8:06 am

This could be a brilliant move if Greece stops being an economic disaster, or it could be a total failure. Time will tell.

Viscount724

Wed Aug 17, 2016 5:13 am

9MMPD wrote:
chiraagnt wrote:

Did SQ serve MAD with their own metal? I thought BCN was their first entry into the Spanish market.

Yes SQ served MAD. Not sure when it began but they terminated MAD service on October 31, 2004. At that time it was 3 x week 747-400 nonstop SIN-MAD.
http://www.luchtzak.be/forums/viewtopic.php?t=28648

Someone83

Wed Aug 17, 2016 6:04 am

imagoagnitio wrote:

Can't resist 10 days in the sun at that price and a couple of days shopping in SIN.

Looking at the schedule, the ATH-SIN flights doesn't match at all the SIN-Australia flights for Scoot, without having a 20hr stop-over in SIN

Australis

Wed Aug 17, 2016 6:30 am

Viscount724 wrote:
9MMPD wrote:
chiraagnt wrote:

Did SQ serve MAD with their own metal? I thought BCN was their first entry into the Spanish market.

Yes SQ served MAD. Not sure when it began but they terminated MAD service on October 31, 2004. At that time it was 3 x week 747-400 nonstop SIN-MAD.
http://www.luchtzak.be/forums/viewtopic.php?t=28648

I remember flying this routes in March 2004. It was SIN-CDG-MAD as MAD was a tag on to CDG at the time. Pity that the route ended, but hopefully it can come back.

In regards to the topic of this thread, Scoot to Athens seems like the first step to a much bigger strategy to be rolled out by SQ me thinks in targetting routes that perhaps SQ cant make profit on and have Scoot fly them or open up past routes that SQ left. Could also be the case if the routes Scoot operate to become successful and profitable, SQ might consider flying themselves the route instead of Scoot, but guess we will just have to wait and see on that.

Freshside3

Sat Aug 20, 2016 2:13 pm

OA260 wrote:
Freshside3 wrote:

That hub idea of SQ "rumor" was a non starter when chatter started to emerge. Most people knew it would not happen.

Actually, it wasn't just a rumor, and an official announcement was made(see link below)......but the bottom line was, in the end, SQ didn't come through...
http://news.gtp.gr/2015/06/10/tag-athen ... potential/

lesfalls

Sat Aug 20, 2016 5:50 pm

I wonder what the starting price will be for the flight.
Lufthansa: Einfach ein bisschen besser.

Freshside3

Sat Aug 20, 2016 6:22 pm

lesfalls wrote:
I wonder what the starting price will be for the flight.

They are currently running some advance specials, that need to be purchased by the end of this month.....I think it is $400 from SIN-ATH in Coach, and $888 for Business Class

Dutchy

Sun Aug 21, 2016 9:52 am

Good for Scoot and good for Athens. Greece can use some more tourist, beautiful country, friendly people, with some problems at the moment.

Is Scoot going to launch more European flights soon?

Dit they stop flying their 777? This site seems to think so: http://www.airfleets.net/flottecie/Scoot.htm
Many happy landings, greetings from The Netherlands!

OA260

Sun Aug 21, 2016 12:38 pm

Freshside3 wrote:
OA260 wrote:
Freshside3 wrote:

Actually, it wasn't just a rumor, and an official announcement was made(see link below)......but the bottom line was, in the end, SQ didn't come through...
http://news.gtp.gr/2015/06/10/tag-athen ... potential/

It was nothing more then a media stunt . It was an idea to route a few thousand more via ATH. Not a hub.

CanadaFair

Sun Aug 21, 2016 12:50 pm

Athens also had JAL, Philippine Airlines and Garuda back in the day.

a320fan

Sun Aug 21, 2016 2:38 pm

Dutchy wrote:
Dit they stop flying their 777? This site seems to think so: http://www.airfleets.net/flottecie/Scoot.htm

Yes, for some time now. They were only temporary while the 787's were coming in.
A319, A320, A321, A330-200, A350-900, A380, 737-700, 737-800, 777-200ER, 777-300, 777-300ER, 787-8, Q300, Q400

neutrino

Sun Aug 21, 2016 2:51 pm

Dutchy wrote:

It is so. They are now an all-787 fleet, with total orders of twenty split evenly between the -8 & -9; with about a dozen in service currently.
Potestatem obscuri lateris nescitis

6thfreedom

Mon Aug 22, 2016 1:15 am

Someone83 wrote:
imagoagnitio wrote:

Looking at the schedule, the ATH-SIN flights doesn't match at all the SIN-Australia flights for Scoot, without having a 20hr stop-over in SIN

One would assume that most of the traffic will come from Australia, so it is surprising that the schedule didn't focus on these markets.

Most of the Australian flights get into SIN by 7pm, so rather than 0200am departure, TZ could have operated a slightly different schedule.

SIN 2200 - 0430 - ATH

ATH 0600 - 2225 SIN

This would connect across all of the TZ/TT network on the way to ATH, and the return schedule would capture TZ to Australia, and also the 6am TT connections across the network.

6thfreedom

Thu Sep 01, 2016 1:53 am

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/indi ... 951638.cms

Scoot also expanding into jaipur? very clever play in naming the aircraft KAMASCOOTRA!

it's a lot of capacity for a previously unserved sector. Probably out of reach for Tiger operations, but possibly within B738 range for Silk?

skyduster

Sun Sep 04, 2016 2:17 pm

b747400erf wrote:
This could be a brilliant move if Greece stops being an economic disaster, or it could be a total failure. Time will tell.

The financial crisis doesn't affect visitors. It affects locals. There's reduced demand for locals to travel abroad, but international tourism arrivals have been hitting record numbers since the dip of 2011.

Scoot is an LCC, and looks like they're targeting Asian and [especially] Australian leisure travelers to Greece, and perhaps to the rest of Europe (they can theoretically hop on a Ryanair flight at ATH, which is one of FR's bases now).
mostly lurker, very rare poster

MaverickM11

Sun Sep 04, 2016 2:39 pm

This doesn't make much sense. Scoot better hope fares go way up. You can already fly ATHBKK/SIN for about $600rt all in today on QR or BA.
I don't take responsibility at all

usflyer123

Sun Sep 04, 2016 3:14 pm

i dont think australians would really fly those 20+ hour flights when they have so many leisure sites next to them: Bali, Queenstown, fiji and many more. also many in australia itself. so i really dont see them flying to greece...
for most people the sky is the limit. for those who love aviation, the sky is home...

rutankrd

Sun Sep 04, 2016 3:38 pm

usflyer123 wrote:
i don't think australians would really fly those 20+ hour flights when they have so many leisure sites next to them: Bali, Queenstown, fiji and many more. also many in australia itself. so i really dont see them flying to greece...

Clearly know nothing about the Australian youth then.

They travel extensively around Europe in numbers !

OA260

Sun Sep 04, 2016 3:40 pm

usflyer123 wrote:
so i really dont see them flying to greece...

The fastest growing destinations for Aussies

Greece, Spain and Italy have topped the charts as the fastest growing outbound destinations for Aussies, according to data released by Webjet.

The findings were based on growth in bookings between January to August 2014 compared to January to August 2015. Greece saw a total year-over-year increase of 162 per cent while Spain and Italy saw an increase of 107 per cent and 91 per cent respectively.

http://www.travelmonitor.com.au/the-fas ... r-aussies/

shnoob940

Sun Sep 04, 2016 4:41 pm

usflyer123 wrote:
i dont think australians would really fly those 20+ hour flights when they have so many leisure sites next to them: Bali, Queenstown, fiji and many more. also many in australia itself. so i really dont see them flying to greece...

I am an Australian youth. Last night I returned from three months of backpacking around the European continent, including Athens. If I had a dollar for every "australian youth" I met during this three months, I would almost have enough money to purchase a ticket on this new service.

Gibbo

skyduster

Mon Sep 05, 2016 3:30 pm

usflyer123 wrote:

Backpacking around Europe is quite popular with young Australians, with Greece being one of the countries often visited. But whether that's enough to justify LCC long-hauls when Australians have several nearby options is something I can't answer. Most tourism is indeed regional, after all. Most outbound tourism from the US is within North America, for example (Canada, Mexico, Costa Rica, Bermuda, Caribbean). And it's the same for Europeans. The number of Australians visiting Greece is still dwarfed by Germans, Brits, Scandinavians, Poles, Russians, Italians, Netherlanders, Austrians, Hungarians, even Americans and Canadians. (USA-Greece isn't very far anyways...about the same distance as MEL/SYD to Vietnam or Thailand). If you hang around backpacking hostels, yeah, you'll come across loads of Australians; but the posters that have done that have gotten a bit of a skewed picture of Greece's tourism industry. That doesn't necessarily mean there won't be enough Australians.

It's definitely an interesting business decision. Some of the nearer leisure destinations for Australians, like Thailand and Queensland, have opposite tourism season than Europe/Mediterranean. For Europe/Med, it's May-September. For Thailand it's October-February; similar for Queensland. OTOH, places like Fiji and Bali have their high seasons around the same time as Europe. So, if the price is low enough, Scoot may be able to create more demand for leisure travel to the Med.

So, we'll see. Maybe there is a niche out there for Scoot. They're an established airline too, not some garbage business venture, like SkyGreece, which thought it can build a business on the so-called "diaspora market" (guaranteed to fail) with no local network/feeder flights or code-share agreements, whatsoever.

MaverickM11 wrote:
This doesn't make much sense. Scoot better hope fares go way up. You can already fly ATHBKK/SIN for about $600rt all in today on QR or BA.

You mean you can fly from ATH (and other points in Europe) to Southeast Asia and Australia via DOH/AUH/DXB with QR, EY, and EK.
mostly lurker, very rare poster

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos