Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

dfwjim1
Topic Author

Non-ticketed persons past security?

Tue Aug 16, 2016 3:47 pm

I am just wondering if there are any larger airports worldwide that allow non-ticketed passengers past security and into departure/arrival areas on a day-to-day basis.

Thanks for your responses
Last edited by dfwjim1 on Tue Aug 16, 2016 6:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tjwgrr

Re: Non-ticketed passengers past security?

Tue Aug 16, 2016 4:17 pm

In the U.S., airlines can issue gate passes if someone needs to accompany a minor, or someone with special needs requiring assistance. It's basically a boarding pass with no flight info on it which tells the TSA that that person is okay to go through the checkpoint.
Direct KNOBS, maintain 2700' until established on the localizer, cleared ILS runway 26 left approach.

DDR

Tue Aug 16, 2016 4:36 pm

If you stay at the DFW Grand Hyatt, you can get a pass to access the secured side.

"Registered guests of the Grand Hyatt can obtain a permit to access the secure side of DFW's terminals to take advantage of the specialty shops, restaurants and services in all five terminals."

Andy33

Tue Aug 16, 2016 4:37 pm

Whereas in Europe passengers requiring assistance are taken airside by contractors working for the airport, and those airlines that carry unaccompanied minors collect them from the check-in desk. Two different ways of doing things and I'm sure there are other ways still in different parts of the world.

MrHMSH

Tue Aug 16, 2016 4:38 pm

I think in Australian domestic terminals it happens, it certainly happened for me in PER when my friend was able to see me off at the gate, in 2011 and 2013. I was a bit surprised at first!

Jetty

Tue Aug 16, 2016 6:03 pm

At AMS you can get past security without a ticket when being a 'Privium' (AMS’s service programme for frequent fliers) member.

dmstorm22

Tue Aug 16, 2016 6:08 pm

DDR wrote:
If you stay at the DFW Grand Hyatt, you can get a pass to access the secured side.

"Registered guests of the Grand Hyatt can obtain a permit to access the secure side of DFW's terminals to take advantage of the specialty shops, restaurants and services in all five terminals."

Is this normal? Also, is this really needed? Are there that many people staying at the DFW Grand Hyatt that are not flying that would or want access to shops/restaurants post-security?

I feel like I am missing something or some population that this is intended for.

stevend08

Tue Aug 16, 2016 6:28 pm

dmstorm22 wrote:
DDR wrote:

Is this normal? Also, is this really needed? Are there that many people staying at the DFW Grand Hyatt that are not flying that would or want access to shops/restaurants post-security?

I feel like I am missing something or some population that this is intended for.

Many of the passengers staying at the Grand Hyatt are overnight transfers having a connecting flight the next day. With a pass to access the secure area of the terminal, they can eat/shop without the hassle of finding transportation out of the airport.

hivue

Tue Aug 16, 2016 6:34 pm

dmstorm22 wrote:
Are there that many people staying at the DFW Grand Hyatt that are not flying that would or want access to shops/restaurants post-security?

I think the problem is with the original, bizarre term "non-ticketed passenger." There may be "ticketed passengers" staying at the hotel whose flight leaves tomorrow, but they want to visit the shops this evening, but they don't have a boarding pass yet to get through security. (Also, can someone tell me how I can become a "non-ticketed passenger?" It would save me a lot of hassle flying.)
"You're sitting. In a chair. In the SKY!!" ~ Louis C.K.

dfwjim1
Topic Author

Tue Aug 16, 2016 6:54 pm

hivue wrote:
dmstorm22 wrote:
Are there that many people staying at the DFW Grand Hyatt that are not flying that would or want access to shops/restaurants post-security?

I think the problem is with the original, bizarre term "non-ticketed passenger." There may be "ticketed passengers" staying at the hotel whose flight leaves tomorrow, but they want to visit the shops this evening, but they don't have a boarding pass yet to get through security. (Also, can someone tell me how I can become a "non-ticketed passenger?" It would save me a lot of hassle flying.)

My bad...meant to say the non-ticketed public.

dfwjim1
Topic Author

Tue Aug 16, 2016 6:54 pm

hivue wrote:
dmstorm22 wrote:

dfwjim1
Topic Author

Tue Aug 16, 2016 6:55 pm

hivue wrote:
dmstorm22 wrote:

dmstorm22

Tue Aug 16, 2016 7:05 pm

stevend08 wrote:
dmstorm22 wrote:
DDR wrote:

Many of the passengers staying at the Grand Hyatt are overnight transfers having a connecting flight the next day. With a pass to access the secure area of the terminal, they can eat/shop without the hassle of finding transportation out of the airport.

Got it, knew I was missing something. This makes complete sense. Is this one of the few hotels / airports to offer this?

smi0006

Tue Aug 16, 2016 7:28 pm

MrHMSH wrote:
I think in Australian domestic terminals it happens, it certainly happened for me in PER when my friend was able to see me off at the gate, in 2011 and 2013. I was a bit surprised at first!

Yup domestically in Australia you don't need a boarding pass, anyone can go through security and see someone off, meet someone on arrival, or just shop and people watch.

Security queues are a lot shorter here outside of big business peaks so pretty stress free way to travel. This helps when people can have a more social airport visit.

RDUDDJI

Tue Aug 16, 2016 9:08 pm

dmstorm22 wrote:
stevend08 wrote:
Got it, knew I was missing something. This makes complete sense. Is this one of the few hotels / airports to offer this?

I believe the Westin at DTW also does this. If I had to guess, when they give you the pass, they're running your name through "the system" (whatever that is) to make sure you aren't flagged as no-fly or some other not ideal status.
Sometimes we don't realize the good times when we're in them

aklrno

Re: Non-ticketed persons past security?

Tue Aug 16, 2016 9:24 pm

You need a boarding pass at New Zealand international gates but not domestic.

DTWPurserBoy

Tue Aug 16, 2016 9:28 pm

Persons meeting or dropping of an unaccompanied minor or a passenger with special needs can be given a gate pass at the counter. We don't want 7 year olds or nice grannies with Alzheimers wandering around a busy airport alone. Family take the best care of them when the airline staff are overwhelmed with other tasks.
Qualified on Concorde/B707/B720/B727/B737/B747/B757/B767/B777/DC-8/DC-9/DC-10/A319/A320/A330/MD-88-90

CDG777FAN

Tue Aug 16, 2016 10:12 pm

When returning from ORD to CDG on AF on July there were a group of unaccompanied minors who were taken to the gate by an adult and the latter wasn't travel. I suppose staff gave her a pass in order to go through security.

StrandedAtMKG

Tue Aug 16, 2016 10:12 pm

DTWPurserBoy wrote:
Family take the best care of them when the airline staff are overwhelmed with other tasks.

This. Larger airports contract wheelchair/disabled assistance out to third-party vendors, and they're usually pretty bad. Prospect at DTW is particularly awful. I've never felt like more of an inconvenience/nuisance or been treated more poorly because of my disability than by the Prospect wheelchair attendants at DTW. I'd much rather let a family member or friend do it than deal with one of those people if I can avoid it.

OB1504

Tue Aug 16, 2016 10:19 pm

RDUDDJI wrote:
dmstorm22 wrote:
stevend08 wrote:

I believe the Westin at DTW also does this. If I had to guess, when they give you the pass, they're running your name through "the system" (whatever that is) to make sure you aren't flagged as no-fly or some other not ideal status.

Correct. I believe even gate passes require collection and transmission of Secure Flight data.

hansieAMS

Tue Aug 16, 2016 11:21 pm

Here in Australia, non-travelers can access the domestic terminals past security. You just go through security as per normal, no BP needed.
As a QF Plat FF i can even bring 2 guest into the Domestic Business Lounge who do not need to be traveling.

dfwjim1
Topic Author

Tue Aug 16, 2016 11:37 pm

StrandedAtMKG wrote:
DTWPurserBoy wrote:
Family take the best care of them when the airline staff are overwhelmed with other tasks.

This. Larger airports contract wheelchair/disabled assistance out to third-party vendors, and they're usually pretty bad. Prospect at DTW is particularly awful. I've never felt like more of an inconvenience/nuisance or been treated more poorly because of my disability than by the Prospect wheelchair attendants at DTW. I'd much rather let a family member or friend do it than deal with one of those people if I can avoid it.

Shame on Prospect. I was at MIA last winter and there was a couple who were both in wheelchairs that were being taken care of by a couple of contract employees of the airport. The employees were very kind and helpful to the couple and as a result of their efforts each one got a $20 tip from the couple.

OB1504

Wed Aug 17, 2016 12:51 am

dfwjim1 wrote:
StrandedAtMKG wrote:
DTWPurserBoy wrote:

Shame on Prospect. I was at MIA last winter and there was a couple who were both in wheelchairs that were being taken care of by a couple of contract employees of the airport. The employees were very kind and helpful to the couple and as a result of their efforts each one got a $20 tip from the couple.

Is tipping the wheelchair attendant expected? I usually don't, particularly at MIA where they're well paid to begin with.

dfwjim1
Topic Author

Wed Aug 17, 2016 1:07 am

OB1504 wrote:
dfwjim1 wrote:
StrandedAtMKG wrote:

Is tipping the wheelchair attendant expected? I usually don't, particularly at MIA where they're well paid to begin with.

Not sure if it is expected but I certainly would especially if the service was there. I enjoy tipping and I always figure that helping someone out who is working hard won't kill my wallet.

trex8

Wed Aug 17, 2016 2:07 am

In the US families of military passengers leaving on a flight can get passes to the gate to be with their family member till they board. I suspect you can do the same arriving (but maybe not as you wont have your military loved one with you with their military ID) but I've never tried that one. Just as well. Used to embarrass the kid to no end mom insisting on going with him to gate!

flyDTW1992

Wed Aug 17, 2016 3:43 am

Semi-relevant:

A Part 121 airline badge--even one without "flight deck access" or "crew" on it--Will often be accepted by itself to go through TSA at US airports. I think it's against regulations, but it most certainly happens. I, for example, work for a cargo carrier where we can't simply list as a nonrev to get through TSA, but many of my coworkers have gotten through TSA to wander the the terminal or meet flight crew buddies with a simple flash of an air carrier badge.
Now you're flying smart

VapourTrails

Wed Aug 17, 2016 11:06 am

smi0006 wrote:
MrHMSH wrote:

Yup domestically in Australia you don't need a boarding pass, anyone can go through security and see someone off, meet someone on arrival, or just shop and people watch.

Security queues are a lot shorter here outside of big business peaks so pretty stress free way to travel. This helps when people can have a more social airport visit.

Yes, I was thinking this only last night, when I did the (domestic) airport visit. Let us hope that this continues for many years to come. Never thought any different but realise it is a privilege and a freedom we enjoy.. compared to abroad.

dfwjim1
Topic Author

Wed Aug 17, 2016 4:42 pm

I flew in and out of Lima, Peru a couple of years ago and one is not allowed to even enter the terminal unless they have a boarding pass, ticket or some other proof of travel.

klakzky123

Wed Aug 17, 2016 5:03 pm

dfwjim1 wrote:
I flew in and out of Lima, Peru a couple of years ago and one is not allowed to even enter the terminal unless they have a boarding pass, ticket or some other proof of travel.

This is done in several other countries as well. Its a crowd control measure to prevent departure halls from getting out of control. Some airports let people without tickets in but you have to pay to get in.

Andy33

Wed Aug 17, 2016 5:24 pm

klakzky123 wrote:
dfwjim1 wrote:

This is done in several other countries as well. Its a crowd control measure to prevent departure halls from getting out of control. Some airports let people without tickets in but you have to pay to get in.

India, too, but they have a security scan combined with the BP/ticket/itinerary check. The objective there is to stop terrorists setting off bombs or using firearms in the terminal building. Obviously they could do it outside the terminal instead but presumably the authorities believe that the attack would be less effective there. Seems to work for them.

VS4ever

Wed Aug 17, 2016 5:31 pm

AT BOS, if you need to go to the TSA pre-check office to sign up, you have to go through security in Terminal A, just walk up to the Delta counter, tell then what you need, show them your paperwork and you get a boarding pass type document to walk through security. I thought when i did it, it was going to be a nightmare, but it was actually very simple and no hassle. Not sure you could be Joe Public doing that generally...but if you have a reason to be there, it can be done.
That feeling when you sit at the end of a runway, brakes are released and the raw power takes over. Now that is a thing of beauty and it never gets old.

Grandpa

Wed Aug 17, 2016 5:52 pm

About 20 years ago I stayed overnight at AMS waiting for an early flight next morning to MXP. My hotel was inside the secure area of the airport but most restaurants and shops were out of it. I crossed security check a few times to have dinner, to buy a magazine, and so forth.
IIRC, I checked-in to MXP in the morning only. But that was a few years before 9/11.

tmoney

Thu Aug 18, 2016 4:19 am

In Burma you can buy a pass to go through security in both intl and domestic terminals (of any airport) and see your friend off till the gate. But you have to leave your national ID card, which is super hard to get a replacement, at the pass-issuing office.
Same works for arrivals pax as well. But you can't cross past the one-way immigration office booths.

They also let embassy staff/diplomats access airside free to receive foreign dignitaries and help out with their special immigration processes. My mom being a diplomat of over 30 years in the country has done it countless times.
Yokes > Side-sticks
Mingarladon heros. RGN.

BartSimpson

Thu Aug 18, 2016 5:25 am

smi0006z wrote:

Interesting. But how do you get out then? Is there a designated exit? Is it common for people to just spend some time in the domestic terminal for those purposes?

IndianicWorld

Thu Aug 18, 2016 5:44 am

BartSimpson wrote:
smi0006z wrote:

Interesting. But how do you get out then? Is there a designated exit? Is it common for people to just spend some time in the domestic terminal for those purposes?

The domestic gates exit process is easy as there is no controls required. Just walk out :)

International and domestic use different terminals which makes it straightforward.

dampfnudel

Thu Aug 18, 2016 6:13 am

I have some nice memories from when I was a kid waiting at the gate (EWR) several times during the 1990s for my dad who was in the merchant marine. The excitement I felt seeing the aircraft approach the gate and waiting to see my dad after he was away for a couple of months. He passed away in 2010 and those memories mean a lot to me now.
A313 332 343 B703 712 722 732 73G 738 739 741 742 744 752 762 76E 764 772 AT5 CR9 D10 DHH DHT F27 GRM L10 M83 TU5

ERJ135

Thu Aug 18, 2016 6:54 am

In Australia as mentioned you can easily pass security and go to a gate in a domestic terminal without a ticket, after all you have passed security so are considered safe however you can not board an aircraft without a boarding pass, same as everywhere. I remember being in Cairns in 2002 with security at high level being a new thing to us here, I was sitting in the departure lounge which was a common area for all departures, and behind me was a very nervous American gent worried by as he put it "Members of the public" who had passed security but weren't flying.
As a younger man living in Sydney I could make my way to the old Ansett terminal go to the end at gate 6 with no barriers or security and get a great view of the runway action. Those were the days!
I so want to fly on SCAT one day!

VapourTrails

Thu Aug 18, 2016 8:40 am

BartSimpson wrote:
smi0006z wrote:

As said, you leave where the arriving pax would leave, after they disembark the aircraft into the terminal. There is only one pax exit. I would say it is quite common but perhaps not as common as it was pre 9/11? Terminals are patrolled by Feds these days and IMHO if you did it regularly as a visitor or walked in and out a few times in one day it would probably gain attention. If you are doing everything above board, and spending money there LOL it shouldn't be any problem broadly speaking? Thing is, parking costs a bit these days. If you are spending time watching planes at the airport for a few hours on a Sunday the parking can get expensive.

Qantas16

Thu Aug 18, 2016 10:47 am

VapourTrails wrote:
BartSimpson wrote:
smi0006z wrote:

As said, you leave where the arriving pax would leave, after they disembark the aircraft into the terminal. There is only one pax exit. I would say it is quite common but perhaps not as common as it was pre 9/11? Terminals are patrolled by Feds these days and IMHO if you did it regularly as a visitor or walked in and out a few times in one day it would probably gain attention. If you are doing everything above board, and spending money there LOL it shouldn't be any problem broadly speaking? Thing is, parking costs a bit these days. If you are spending time watching planes at the airport for a few hours on a Sunday the parking can get expensive.

I honestly doubt anyone would notice you coming and going, after all there is no I.D. required to go through domestic security. The burger chain Carls Jnr recently opened at BNE Domestic and has seen a lot of people making the journey to the airport, paying for parking, and going through security just to enjoy a burger (only the 2nd Carls Jnr in Australia so exciting stuff for some people...). It makes retail more attractive for the airport as they can expand their reach to friends/family visiting, as well as attract non-fliers if they offer the right shops (e.g. Victoria Secret). Heck, I could only find a book I wanted at a bookshop at BNE Domestic so I went there, and through security, just to purchase it.

VapourTrails

Thu Aug 18, 2016 11:30 am

Qantas16 wrote:
I honestly doubt anyone would notice you coming and going, after all there is no I.D. required to go through domestic security. The burger chain Carls Jnr recently opened at BNE Domestic and has seen a lot of people making the journey to the airport, paying for parking, and going through security just to enjoy a burger (only the 2nd Carls Jnr in Australia so exciting stuff for some people...). It makes retail more attractive for the airport as they can expand their reach to friends/family visiting, as well as attract non-fliers if they offer the right shops (e.g. Victoria Secret). Heck, I could only find a book I wanted at a bookshop at BNE Domestic so I went there, and through security, just to purchase it.

Interesting - thanks. I think at CBR they would, but not at MEL, and BNE as you say - being relative to the size. Thanks for the info about Carls Jnr, I will check that one out at BNE. CBR also holds non-flying events at the airport. I haven't been to these but it is like fashion shows, that utilise the space and the building for other events airside.

OSUk1d

Thu Aug 18, 2016 11:47 am

flyDTW1992 wrote:
Semi-relevant:

A Part 121 airline badge--even one without "flight deck access" or "crew" on it--Will often be accepted by itself to go through TSA at US airports. I think it's against regulations, but it most certainly happens. I, for example, work for a cargo carrier where we can't simply list as a nonrev to get through TSA, but many of my coworkers have gotten through TSA to wander the the terminal or meet flight crew buddies with a simple flash of an air carrier badge.

No, it's not against regulations. All you need is an aircraft operator ID.

bmacleod

Thu Aug 18, 2016 12:34 pm

"What good are wings without the courage to fly?" - Atticus

dmstorm22

Thu Aug 18, 2016 1:21 pm

Andy33 wrote:
klakzky123 wrote:
dfwjim1 wrote:

India, too, but they have a security scan combined with the BP/ticket/itinerary check. The objective there is to stop terrorists setting off bombs or using firearms in the terminal building. Obviously they could do it outside the terminal instead but presumably the authorities believe that the attack would be less effective there. Seems to work for them.

I believe most airports in India allow you to buy a guest pass to enter the check-in/departure hall - so I'm not sure if this is geared towards terrorism and much like the post about Peru, was primarily geared at crowd control.

That said, maybe they've now taken away the paid entry option after recent terrorist attacks in other airports.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos