Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

airfrnt
Topic Author

Denver International plans security reconfiguration, new lounge and growth

Thu Aug 18, 2016 9:10 pm

A lot has been going on at DEN, the most important of which appears to be that the Airport is moving ahead with plans to reconfigure the majority of the "Great Hall" into airside space to go back to the way it was pre-9/11, with lots of retail and open space under the tent at the airport. The Denver City Council just approved a contract with Ferrovial to start design work on the space, which is being strutted as a public-private-partnership. Ferrovial owns 33% of Heathrow (indirectly through joint ownership) and part of the appeal is no doubt to emulate that airport. It wound't be Denver without a fair bit of controversy and conspiracy theories though.

More details:
http://www.denverpost.com/2016/08/16/ma ... pesen-bid/

Outside of the airport, development is slowly inching forward now that 1A passed opening up 1500 acres of land around the airport for development. The revenue sharing and flat fee Denver is paying is taking time, but moving.

Denver also has RFPs out for two lounges - a common use lounge on A, and a "airport-controlled lounge" immediately adjacent. Given that the only results for "airport-controlled lounge" are hits to Denver RFP, it sounds a bit like a VIP lounge for the Airport, perhaps? This will go into the space where the continental club used to be on A. This will be next-door to the Delta Skyclub that opened on A.

Finally, there has been a lot of talk recently about why traffic is starting to shift towards Denver. There appear to be two positive factors and one negative.The first is that apparently re-banking DEN has greatly improved the efficiency of the airfield, and with UA's long term commitment to the airport, they are continuing to grow their presences. The second factor is that WN staff at DEN believe that DEN will shortly be the largest station for WN, with 300 daily flights. That still will leave them about 75 flights shy of UA, but it's a non-trivial amount of capacity. Concourse C is now pretty much all southwest (except for a single gate for Alaska, B is Star Alliance (except some internationals which must fly into A), and A is everyone else. The negative factor is F9's drawdown of DEN, which is expected to continue.

Zkpilot

Re: Denver International plans security reconfiguration, new lounge and growth

Thu Aug 18, 2016 10:55 pm

Anything to improve the times in security lines at DEN would be welcome! Spending 1 hour in a TSA line is ridiculous!
64 types. 45 countries. 24 airlines.

mariner

Fri Aug 19, 2016 12:06 am

airfrnt wrote:
The negative factor is F9's drawdown of DEN, which is expected to continue.

Is it? Oh, well, maybe. Or not, as the case may be.

Maybe I missed it, but I don't see that in the linked article.

mariner
aeternum nauta

gr8slvrflt

Fri Aug 19, 2016 12:07 am

Are they building more gates on C?
I work for Southwest, but the views expressed are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Southwest.

gr8slvrflt

Fri Aug 19, 2016 12:08 am

I passed through DEN this morning; are they building more gates on C?
I work for Southwest, but the views expressed are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Southwest.

jetmatt777

Fri Aug 19, 2016 12:10 am

We've been told that United plans to add 2-6 more gates to Concourse B on the west end. I don't think the concourse will be physically expanded, but long jetways will be added.

jetmatt777

Fri Aug 19, 2016 12:14 am

airfrnt wrote:
Concourse C is now pretty much all southwest (except for a single gate for Alaska, B is Star Alliance (except some internationals which must fly into A), and A is everyone else. The negative factor is F9's drawdown of DEN, which is expected to continue.

No one goes to B except for United and UAX. All Star Alliance carriers other than United operate from A.

airfrnt
Topic Author

Fri Aug 19, 2016 1:29 am

gr8slvrflt wrote:

At least for the moment, no. There are 3 more gates freed up from DL's move to A, and usually (but not always) DEN refuses to build new gates until they have a contract with the carrier that justifies it. Also bear in mind, international flights have to leave out of A....

AerolineasAR343

Fri Aug 19, 2016 1:33 am

Are they going to do something about the illuminati shelter built underneath? :mrgreen: :lol:

I do have to wonder though, is DEN in so much need of improvement? Anecdotal evidence I know, but the times I flown there the size seemed quite right. Or are they planning to add destinations and airlines as well?

fry530

Fri Aug 19, 2016 1:43 am

AerolineasAR343 wrote:
Are they going to do something about the illuminati shelter built underneath? :mrgreen: :lol:

I do have to wonder though, is DEN in so much need of improvement? Anecdotal evidence I know, but the times I flown there the size seemed quite right. Or are they planning to add destinations and airlines as well?

With all of the growth that is happening here in Denver, and the fact that passenger traffic at DEN is growing every month, I would not be surprised to see more routes/carriers come along. DEN has gained new routes by WN, UA, and even F9 this year, as well as Virgin America, Sun Country, and an LH flight to Munich. UA has been up-gauging lots of routes by putting mainline back on to certain spokes. WN plans to grow. They tried to build DEN for the future, but some things can't fully be planned for, like security increases post-9/11 and rapid growth in a short amount of time.
319 320 32N 321 332 333 722 733 735 73G 738 739 744 752 763 772 77W CR2 CR7 Q400 E145 E170 DC10 MD80
AA BA BD CO DL EI F9 HP NW NZ UA U2 WN Y4

airfrnt
Topic Author

Fri Aug 19, 2016 1:44 am

AerolineasAR343 wrote:

More the later I suspect, as well as the need to drive more revenue via retail. The airport is very very full at the moment, and the TSA security lines have gotten worse and worse as well.

jetmatt777

Fri Aug 19, 2016 2:02 am

airfrnt wrote:
gr8slvrflt wrote:

At least for the moment, no. There are 3 more gates freed up from DL's move to A, and usually (but not always) DEN refuses to build new gates until they have a contract with the carrier that justifies it. Also bear in mind, international flights have to leave out of A....

They only have to arrive on A for customs. Departures to any destination can leave from any gate.

N809FR

Fri Aug 19, 2016 2:44 am

Having grown up with DEN being my home airport, I have started to really dislike flying through there. Security lines have been awful, and everything is overcrowded. I've been spoiled lately by flying out of SMF, but I'm glad DEN is working toward improvements, I'll certainly be through there often enough visiting family.

mtnwest1979

Fri Aug 19, 2016 3:01 am

And the added numbers that any ex-Great Lakes city will regain from somebody else taking over the service should add one or two folks lol.
Riddle: Which lasts longer, a start-up airline or a start-up football league?

chrisair

Fri Aug 19, 2016 5:45 pm

airfrnt wrote:
A lot has been going on at DEN, the most important of which appears to be that the Airport is moving ahead with plans to reconfigure the majority of the "Great Hall" into airside space to go back to the way it was pre-9/11, with lots of retail and open space under the tent at the airport.

How was it configured back then? Were the two flag checkpoints one mass security area?

Not sure where a revamped security area would fit--it seems really tight for space downstairs. There's barely enough room for two people to walk side by side on the sides now.

airfrnt wrote:
Outside of the airport, development is slowly inching forward now that 1A passed opening up 1500 acres of land around the airport for development. The revenue sharing and flat fee Denver is paying is taking time, but moving.

Will the super-secret underground black helicopter base be moving? What about the mass population reprogramming facility? ;)

Frontier14

Fri Aug 19, 2016 7:27 pm

It wound't be Denver without a fair bit of controversy and conspiracy theories though.

Interesting that KDEN (DIA) is moving forward before having approved plans in place for the new TSA check points. Rumors have swirled that they will be upstairs "whatever that means". Those of us who use DIA are aware of the on-going issues with security clearance at the airport. It can be a very distasteful experience. Just imagine what it will be if this re-location is not thoroughly evaluated.

The Denver airport queen "Kimmie Day" has made over expenditures a part of her reign. The new airport hotel was over budget as well as the recently opened commuter rail line to downtown. Whatever the numbers are for this renovation, one better add upwards of 20% to the figure based on Day's past track performance. All of this is going to add to the airlines' operational costs before all is said and done. Pax fees have been declining in recent years and now Day wants to revamp (some of which is necessary), but is the traveling passenger going to see an improvement? That is the $640 million dollar question.

Frontier 14

seatback

Fri Aug 19, 2016 8:32 pm

Coming from a guy who used DEN weekly for over a year, DEN is one of my least favorite airports. Along with long security lines, the concession areas in C and B, and probably A too, are crowded and very unpleasant. Additionally, the trek to the rental car facility is a complete pain.

jetmatt777

Fri Aug 19, 2016 9:13 pm

It's not any better as an employee for work. Usually not to my car door in the employee lot until almost 30 minutes after I clock out. Takes forever to get anywhere on the airport also.

The trains between concourses are also very full a lot of the time. Even when they are running at peak time with 2 minute headways there's just not enough room in them. The other day it took 3 trains to come by before I got on one, as only 2 or 3 people could squeeze in when the doors opened.

rcair1

Fri Aug 19, 2016 9:34 pm

airfrnt wrote:
A lot has been going on at DEN, the most important of which appears to be that the Airport is moving ahead with plans to reconfigure the majority of the "Great Hall" into airside space to go back to the way it was pre-9/11, with lots of retail and open space under the tent at the airport.

Can you expand on what you mean here? Airside means post security, right? I don't recall the main tent being post security - and I actively traveled out of DEN during both stapleton and DIA days.
rcair1

airfrnt
Topic Author

Sat Aug 20, 2016 3:27 am

chrisair wrote:

How was it configured back then? Were the two flag checkpoints one mass security area?

Not sure where a revamped security area would fit--it seems really tight for space downstairs. There's barely enough room for two people to walk side by side on the sides now.

There were still the three security areas, but they took up much less floor space. In addition, the entire floor was basically covered with Trees. It honestly felt a bit like a zoo inside in the hall, as they took advantage of the natural light advantage of the canvas roof.

Rdh3e

Sat Aug 20, 2016 3:31 am

Frontier14 wrote:
The Denver airport queen "Kimmie Day" has made over expenditures a part of her reign. The new airport hotel was over budget as well as the recently opened commuter rail line to downtown.

The auditor's report was released last month and the hotel and transit station program was found to be within scope with limited cost overrun.

"The project’s 2013 budget, approved by Denver City Council, estimated costs of $672 million, meaning the cost overrun is around 7 percent, within the 5 percent to 10 percent range that DIA officials projected."

http://www.denverpost.com/2016/07/21/au ... 9-million/

https://www.denvergov.org/content/denve ... t-cen.html

airfrnt
Topic Author

Sat Aug 20, 2016 3:40 am

Frontier14 wrote:
It wound't be Denver without a fair bit of controversy and conspiracy theories though.

Interesting that KDEN (DIA) is moving forward before having approved plans in place for the new TSA check points. Rumors have swirled that they will be upstairs "whatever that means". Those of us who use DIA are aware of the on-going issues with security clearance at the airport. It can be a very distasteful experience. Just imagine what it will be if this re-location is not thoroughly evaluated.

The documentation I saw indicated that the baggage screening system would be located on the fifth floor (arrivals), presumably to maximize the space available.

The Denver airport queen "Kimmie Day" has made over expenditures a part of her reign.

I don't know here, but I think personal attacks here are uncalled for.

The new airport hotel was over budget as well as the recently opened commuter rail line to downtown.

The commuter line is RTD's responsibility, not the airport. As it was, they dropped the railway bridges that Santiago Calatrava designed to save cost (which also resulted in Calatrava pulling out of the project). not happy with cost overruns, but it's also to be expected somewhat. The cost overrun was less then 10% IIRC, and on a project of this scope is not bad.

Go ask Brandenburg Airport in Berlin how easy airports construction projects are. Or for that matter, look at the original opening of the airport.

Whatever the numbers are for this renovation, one better add upwards of 20% to the figure based on Day's past track performance. All of this is going to add to the airlines' operational costs before all is said and done. Pax fees have been declining in recent years and now Day wants to revamp (some of which is necessary), but is the traveling passenger going to see an improvement? That is the $640 million dollar question.
Frontier 14

It is. I tend to take a more european approach. Infrastructure is something worth overbuilding. If this brings more of the LHR and asian airport style to a American airport, I am all in favor.

airfrnt
Topic Author

Sat Aug 20, 2016 3:45 am

jetmatt777 wrote:
The trains between concourses are also very full a lot of the time. Even when they are running at peak time with 2 minute headways there's just not enough room in them. The other day it took 3 trains to come by before I got on one, as only 2 or 3 people could squeeze in when the doors opened.

This I agree with. I'm a bit bummed that there is not a train system extension here for this.

As a side note, I think it will only be a fair short period of time before you start seeing a rail service from the airport to the car rental locations. This was part of the original design, but descoped for cost.

airfrnt
Topic Author

Sat Aug 20, 2016 3:47 am

rcair1 wrote:
airfrnt wrote:

Can you expand on what you mean here? Airside means post security, right? I don't recall the main tent being post security - and I actively traveled out of DEN during both stapleton and DIA days.

Sorry, I should have been more careful with my language. They want to reconfigure the space to be more open, more green, with more active retailers. The security area would move to enable that (as the security area ate all of the space, and they removed the greenery for security reasons.

WA707atMSP

Sat Aug 20, 2016 9:17 am

mtnwest1979 wrote:
And the added numbers that any ex-Great Lakes city will regain from somebody else taking over the service should add one or two folks lol.

Ha ha ha - well said, mtnwest1979!

You forgot to mention, though, that if the "Great Mistakes" cities shift to SeaPort, then passenger counts will drop because SeaPort management is even more clueless than Great Lakes' managers are.

intotheair

Sat Aug 20, 2016 11:58 am

Even if they sterilize the Great Hall, I don't see how people are going to stay there and peruse the retail and restaurants unless if DIA turns into a place like Heathrow Terminal 4 where you don't find out your gate until boarding time.

In my view, most people prefer to rush to find their gate first before going to concessions. I can picture how they could turn the unused ticketing desks on level 6 into security checkpoints, but I don't understand how they could seal off the secure area from the baggage and arrivals on level 5, or how arriving pax will be able to go from the train to arrivals if the main part of level 5 will be secure.

And aside from some of the food improvements to Concourse C, the concourses are really starting to feel dated and stale. To start, the Concourse B atrium desperately needs something better than a Caribou and the McDonalds and Burger King that visually look the same as they did in 1995.

DIA was the best in the nation then, and while it's still a very manageable airport, other airports have since vastly improved their passenger experience (SFO, LAX TBIT, SEA, IAD A/B).

jetmatt777 wrote:
airfrnt wrote:
Concourse C is now pretty much all southwest (except for a single gate for Alaska, B is Star Alliance (except some internationals which must fly into A), and A is everyone else. The negative factor is F9's drawdown of DEN, which is expected to continue.

No one goes to B except for United and UAX. All Star Alliance carriers other than United operate from A.

Some UA flights do depart from A now. And I believe there are 3-4 common use gates in C in addition to the AS gate, so it's not all WN.
300 319 320 321 332 333 345 346 380 717 733 734 735 73G 738 739 744 752 753 762 763 772 77W 788 789 CR2 CR7 CR9 CRK Q400 E175 DC10 MD82 MD90
AA AF AS AY AZ B6 BA BR DL F9 FI GA HA KF LH MI QX SK SN SQ UA US VY WN

enilria

Sat Aug 20, 2016 1:06 pm

airfrnt wrote:

chrisair wrote:

Are you sure about that? The Great Hall was airside space pre-9/11? I find that VERY hard to believe. I don't see how it is possible the building could be configured to be mostly airside. To my knowledge there was a much smaller checkpoint in the center of the Great Hall and the bridge always had a checkpoint. You are suggesting there were checkpoints on every floor at each access point to the center of the building? That seems insane.

jasoncrh

Sat Aug 20, 2016 3:35 pm

Whoever wrote that is wrong. I've been traveling to that airport since it opened and the current set up is the way it has always been. I have plenty of pictures of me in those lines down in the great hall going through security, of being welcomed in the arrivals area, etc. in sum, the great hall was never a secure area.

enilria wrote:
airfrnt wrote:

chrisair wrote:

Are you sure about that? The Great Hall was airside space pre-9/11? I find that VERY hard to believe. I don't see how it is possible the building could be configured to be mostly airside. To my knowledge there was a much smaller checkpoint in the center of the Great Hall and the bridge always had a checkpoint. You are suggesting there were checkpoints on every floor at each access point to the center of the building? That seems insane.

enilria

Sat Aug 20, 2016 7:31 pm

jasoncrh wrote:
Whoever wrote that is wrong. I've been traveling to that airport since it opened and the current set up is the way it has always been. I have plenty of pictures of me in those lines down in the great hall going through security, of being welcomed in the arrivals area, etc. in sum, the great hall was never a secure area.

enilria wrote:
airfrnt wrote:

chrisair wrote:

I thought that was crap. I only remember the central checkpoint was much smaller and there were concessions in the current queue space. If that were true you couldn't move between ticket counter or baggage claim sides. Lol

United1

Sat Aug 20, 2016 8:42 pm

intotheair wrote:
And aside from some of the food improvements to Concourse C, the concourses are really starting to feel dated and stale. To start, the Concourse B atrium desperately needs something better than a Caribou and the McDonalds and Burger King that visually look the same as they did in 1995.

They are adding a Wendy's :)

Seriously though you are right .....while I love connecting through DEN as there isn't an easier airport in UAs network to transit through the food choices need some major updates.
I know the voices in my head aren't real but sometimes their ideas are just awesome!!!

intotheair

Sat Aug 20, 2016 11:25 pm

enilria wrote:
I thought that was crap. I only remember the central checkpoint was much smaller and there were concessions in the current queue space. If that were true you couldn't move between ticket counter or baggage claim sides. Lol

The OP clarified his response before you posted, look again. The Great Hall was never all airside.
300 319 320 321 332 333 345 346 380 717 733 734 735 73G 738 739 744 752 753 762 763 772 77W 788 789 CR2 CR7 CR9 CRK Q400 E175 DC10 MD82 MD90

enilria

Sun Aug 21, 2016 3:04 am

intotheair wrote:
enilria wrote:

The OP clarified his response before you posted, look again. The Great Hall was never all airside.

I read all of his comments. I suspect if you had a quote that truly clarified that, you would have referenced it. He said "there were three zones". I don't even know what that means.

airfrnt
Topic Author

Sun Aug 21, 2016 3:09 am

intotheair wrote:
Even if they sterilize the Great Hall, I don't see how people are going to stay there and peruse the retail and restaurants unless if DIA turns into a place like Heathrow Terminal 4 where you don't find out your gate until boarding time.

In my view, most people prefer to rush to find their gate first before going to concessions. I can picture how they could turn the unused ticketing desks on level 6 into security checkpoints, but I don't understand how they could seal off the secure area from the baggage and arrivals on level 5, or how arriving pax will be able to go from the train to arrivals if the main part of level 5 will be secure.

DIA was the best in the nation then, and while it's still a very manageable airport, other airports have since vastly improved their passenger experience (SFO, LAX TBIT, SEA, IAD A/B).

jetmatt777 wrote:
airfrnt wrote:

Some UA flights do depart from A now. And I believe there are 3-4 common use gates in C in addition to the AS gate, so it's not all WN.

The post 9/11 security configuration dropped retail revenue in the main terminal through the floor. They are trying to recover as much of that a possible.

airfrnt
Topic Author

Sun Aug 21, 2016 3:12 am

enilria wrote:
intotheair wrote:
enilria wrote:

I read all of his comments. I suspect if you had a quote that truly clarified that, you would have referenced it. He said "there were three zones". I don't even know what that means.

I did in fact clarify it. Please go re-read. I also said nothing about three zones...Give other posters a break before you classify their posts as "crap..."

Anyone know how to add users to the ignore list in the new forum software?
Last edited by airfrnt on Sun Aug 21, 2016 3:24 am, edited 4 times in total.

sccutler

Sun Aug 21, 2016 3:17 am

Between the God-awful rental car trip, and the ridiculous train-trip gate access, Denver (along with Orlando and LAS) is on the all-time "avoid" list.

I love Colorado - why must it have such a crappy airport?
...three miles from BRONS, clear for the ILS one five approach...

jetmatt777

Wed Sep 07, 2016 3:28 am

After some thinking, what if somehow the security checkpoint was relocated to Level 4 of each terminal, and the flow of passengers was reversed?

For example, arriving passengers would exit the train towards the center, and up each escalator (N and S) where the existing checkpoints are. Departing passengers would go to that same level to clear security but from the east and west (on the outside of the train). As far as I know there isn't much on the 4th level and a few walls could probably be knocked down to create security checkpoints on both the east and west terminals on Level 4 and lead directly into the train platforms that current arriving passengers dump into.

Hard to explain without diagrams.

intotheair

Wed Sep 07, 2016 4:00 am

I think you might be confused as to what's level 4....?

If my memory is right, level 4 is where the train platform is, and it's pretty much closed off from everything. I think that's the level that's missing in all the elevators too. There's probably a lot of stuff in it that you couldn't move (auxiliary train tracks and storage, utilities, etc.)

Level 5 has security, some shops, customs, baggage claim, ground transportation, and the entrance to the hotel and RTD train.

Level 6 is the departures level with ticketing, a few shops, departing access to the A bridge, and not much else. It's the very top level.

Maybe you're not confused, but I think putting security in level 4 would be really difficult, if not impossible. Then again, I don't even understand how the professionals are going to pull off the actual plan...

jetmatt777

Wed Sep 07, 2016 4:16 am

Yes I know what Level 4 is, there's not much of anything on the sides of the train platforms. I've been in level 4 (under where the new Subway, all of the ground transport companies, etc.) and there's a lot of mechanical rooms but with some creativity you could clear enough room for two checkpoints on each side leading directly into the train platform.

Atlwarrior

Wed Sep 07, 2016 4:33 am

Marijuana bringing in that much revenue to expand.

intotheair

Wed Sep 07, 2016 5:30 am

jetmatt777 wrote:
Yes I know what Level 4 is, there's not much of anything on the sides of the train platforms. I've been in level 4 (under where the new Subway, all of the ground transport companies, etc.) and there's a lot of mechanical rooms but with some creativity you could clear enough room for two checkpoints on each side leading directly into the train platform.

Huh, interesting. I guess it's dependent on just how important those mechanical rooms are and whether they can be moved without it being cost prohibitive. From what I remember, the big breakthrough of the Fentress architectural design for the airport was that they moved all the utility/mechanical things underground instead of having them atop a really ugly roof, where they would traditionally go.

It'd be a bizarre setup to put security on level 4 (I can't think of any airport that has security underground from the main entrance), but maybe it's not completely impossible.

I still just don't see the point of why the terminal needs to be reconfigured. Sure, security lines get long, but that's mostly only on the south side, and it seems like there would be even less space for security if they move it upstairs. And if they're worried about concessions and retail, then I would much rather see the concourses spruced up and expanded. Those need more work, and those are the buildings where passengers spend most of their time anyway. Maybe it'll make more sense once DIA/Ferrovial release more definite plans.

jetmatt777

Wed Sep 07, 2016 12:10 pm

Really it already is "underground" the main entrance as check in is on Level 6 with security on level 5.

The airport has a bizzare setup anyhow. You have to go up or down one level to get picked up after claiming luggage unless you are taking a commercial vehicle. It's a very confusing setup for many people.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos