Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

 
Americanp
Topic Author
Posts: 17
Joined: Sat Nov 29, 2014 2:31 am

United extra gates in DEN

Thu Aug 18, 2016 11:34 pm

During the 10am east coast bank, I have noticed that United has started to use some A Gates. When will Denver extend the B concourse?
 
deltal1011man
Posts: 5362
Joined: Mon Sep 19, 2005 9:17 am

Re: United extra gates in Den

Thu Aug 18, 2016 11:44 pm

how much more can B be extended. Doesn't look like much, maybe an extra two gates on the west end. I would assume if UA needs a large amount of space they will extend A or C and give UA some space there.
Or if they need more large gates get rid of the CRJ/EMB parking on the east end of B.
 
United1
Posts: 4164
Joined: Wed Oct 08, 2003 9:21 am

Re: United extra gates in Den

Fri Aug 19, 2016 1:08 am

deltal1011man wrote:
how much more can B be extended. Doesn't look like much, maybe an extra two gates on the west end. I would assume if UA needs a large amount of space they will extend A or C and give UA some space there.
Or if they need more large gates get rid of the CRJ/EMB parking on the east end of B.


UA plans on adding 2-6 gates onto the west end of B...probably just long jet bridges vs a physical building but there is room for at least 6 gates if not more on that end of B.
I know the voices in my head aren't real but sometimes their ideas are just awesome!!!
 
Beatyair
Posts: 856
Joined: Mon Feb 10, 2014 9:09 pm

Re: United extra gates in Den

Sat Aug 20, 2016 4:10 am

It appears C is expanding now.
 
jetmatt777
Posts: 4297
Joined: Sun Jun 26, 2005 2:16 am

Re: United extra gates in Den

Sat Aug 20, 2016 4:30 pm

Also keep in mind the airport was designed to be expanded to the west. Note that the gates start at B15/16, one more extension is possible to bring the gates to B1/2
 
User avatar
enilria
Posts: 10252
Joined: Fri Feb 22, 2008 7:15 pm

Re: United extra gates in Den

Sat Aug 20, 2016 7:28 pm

UA is way down from peak flight level. Any chance those flights are there due to CBP usage? Maybe they even arrived the prior night from Mexico and they sit till they go out.
 
User avatar
piedmont762
Posts: 456
Joined: Thu Jun 18, 2015 9:14 pm

Re: United extra gates in Den

Sat Aug 20, 2016 7:30 pm

UA has been using the A concourse for 787 flights next to the Delta and Frontier gates. I think it goes to NRT, but might also fly to IAH as well. Not sure since it's usually parked with no place to go during the day when I fly out.
 
United1
Posts: 4164
Joined: Wed Oct 08, 2003 9:21 am

Re: United extra gates in Den

Sat Aug 20, 2016 8:36 pm

enilria wrote:
UA is way down from peak flight level.


UA is down from their peak number of flights but keep in mind they transitioned to a banked hub from a rolling one so the number of gates they require went up a bit.
I know the voices in my head aren't real but sometimes their ideas are just awesome!!!
 
jetmatt777
Posts: 4297
Joined: Sun Jun 26, 2005 2:16 am

Re: United extra gates in Den

Sat Aug 20, 2016 8:53 pm

enilria wrote:
UA is way down from peak flight level. Any chance those flights are there due to CBP usage? Maybe they even arrived the prior night from Mexico and they sit till they go out.


We operate domestic to domestic turns several times per day on A. Most international arrivals are towed to B for the domestic departure. As noted above, with the banked hub gate usage is maxed out several times per day on B.
 
panam330
Posts: 2161
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2004 11:58 am

Re: United extra gates in Den

Sun Aug 21, 2016 2:00 am

We desperately need extra gates in DEN. Operations continue to slowly expand from DEN, and as already mentioned, the switch to banks has maxed out gate usage several times a day. Severe gate shortages also arise very early on in just about every IROP we've had in the past year; only SFO hurts for gates more. 6-8 more gates would do wonders for us with the current schedule - more, if they continue to expand Denver.
 
jetmatt777
Posts: 4297
Joined: Sun Jun 26, 2005 2:16 am

Re: United extra gates in Den

Sun Aug 21, 2016 3:01 am

panam330 wrote:
We desperately need extra gates in DEN. Operations continue to slowly expand from DEN, and as already mentioned, the switch to banks has maxed out gate usage several times a day. Severe gate shortages also arise very early on in just about every IROP we've had in the past year; only SFO hurts for gates more. 6-8 more gates would do wonders for us with the current schedule - more, if they continue to expand Denver.


Not only are overall departures increasing in the banks, so is aircraft size. They have loaded a domestic 772 to ORD and SFO.

It looks like the aircraft routings will be:

HNL-DEN-SFO
ORD-DEN-HNL
SFO-DEN-ORD

I just looked in October and now see the following widebody departures:

3 772 (ORD SFO HNL)
2 788 (IAH NRT)

DEN will now have 5 UA scheduled widebody departures a day, up from 3 today. From what I hear this is set to increase further as more 772's enter the domestic fleet.
 
sldispatcher
Posts: 405
Joined: Thu Mar 29, 2007 3:55 am

Re: United extra gates in Den

Sun Aug 21, 2016 3:09 am

It would be nice to see those extra gates. I believe there has been some scheduling changes to markets (albeit not big ones) just because they have run out of gate space at 10am. Extending west would be a great idea off of B. Any terminal change will add quite a bit of connection time and they already seem a bit optimistic at times with present operations for making connections. DEN really is a powerhouse position for a connection hub out west. With that, I would indeed expect more and more widebodies on hub-hub markets. DEN really is the best connector hub in the UA system for passenger convenience.
 
panam330
Posts: 2161
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2004 11:58 am

Re: United extra gates in Den

Sun Aug 21, 2016 4:26 am

jetmatt777 wrote:
DEN will now have 5 UA scheduled widebody departures a day, up from 3 today. From what I hear this is set to increase further as more 772's enter the domestic fleet.


Indeed. I'm not sure if they're still loaded, but just a couple of weeks ago I noticed 2 roundtrip LAXDEN and 2 roundtrip SFODEN 777s in the late winter/early spring break season. I can't wait for all of the domestic 777s to be configured and for our new 73Gs to come online - our domestic operation (especially hub-hub) is going to look a lot different!
 
jetmatt777
Posts: 4297
Joined: Sun Jun 26, 2005 2:16 am

Re: United extra gates in Den

Mon Aug 22, 2016 4:10 am

panam330 wrote:
jetmatt777 wrote:
DEN will now have 5 UA scheduled widebody departures a day, up from 3 today. From what I hear this is set to increase further as more 772's enter the domestic fleet.


Indeed. I'm not sure if they're still loaded, but just a couple of weeks ago I noticed 2 roundtrip LAXDEN and 2 roundtrip SFODEN 777s in the late winter/early spring break season. I can't wait for all of the domestic 777s to be configured and for our new 73Gs to come online - our domestic operation (especially hub-hub) is going to look a lot different!


Just looked in early Feb, found this. Drop the 772 to ORD in favor of LAX and EWR. Net gain of 1 772

This is a really robust domestic widebody schedule, compared to today. (Included NRT because it turns to/from domestic)

HNL-DEN 0646 0820 DEN-SFO 772
EWR-DEN 1023 1130 DEN-HNL 772
IAH-DEN 1031 1225 DEN-NRT 788
NRT-DEN 1245 1505 DEN-IAH 788
LAX-DEN 1620 1915 DEN-LAX 772
SFO-DEN 1630 1800 DEN-EWR 772
 
User avatar
STT757
Posts: 14126
Joined: Tue Mar 28, 2000 1:14 am

Re: United extra gates in Den

Mon Aug 22, 2016 1:29 pm

panam330 wrote:
jetmatt777 wrote:
DEN will now have 5 UA scheduled widebody departures a day, up from 3 today. From what I hear this is set to increase further as more 772's enter the domestic fleet.


Indeed. I'm not sure if they're still loaded, but just a couple of weeks ago I noticed 2 roundtrip LAXDEN and 2 roundtrip SFODEN 777s in the late winter/early spring break season. I can't wait for all of the domestic 777s to be configured and for our new 73Gs to come online - our domestic operation (especially hub-hub) is going to look a lot different!


Indeed, 25 additional A319s, 65 additional 73Gs, and an additional 12 738s, 12 739s and the 99 737-9Max on order is going to change the dynamics at UA's hubs.
Eastern Air lines flt # 701, EWR-MCO Boeing 757
 
durangomac
Posts: 446
Joined: Fri Dec 08, 2006 5:18 am

Re: United extra gates in Den

Mon Aug 22, 2016 6:46 pm

deltal1011man wrote:
how much more can B be extended. Doesn't look like much, maybe an extra two gates on the west end. I would assume if UA needs a large amount of space they will extend A or C and give UA some space there.
Or if they need more large gates get rid of the CRJ/EMB parking on the east end of B.


I wish they would rebuild the north arm of the regional gates on the B Concourse. Building the new structure further north so they can get back those 10 or so gates they lost when the south arm opened up. It would be a better experience for everyone.
 
jetmatt777
Posts: 4297
Joined: Sun Jun 26, 2005 2:16 am

Re: United extra gates in Den

Mon Aug 22, 2016 6:50 pm

Definitely can't get rid of any of the RJ gates. They have just as much of a gate crisis during peak banks as mainline does. This will be relieved a little bit with more upgauging, but not by much.
 
User avatar
ADent
Posts: 1115
Joined: Fri Dec 22, 2006 12:11 pm

Re: United extra gates in Den

Tue Aug 23, 2016 6:41 am

There is plenty of real estate at DEN to expand. Just need some money to pay for yourself if the airport is not interested in doing it.

C was recently expanded and is getting some concrete replaced, I hear plans to expand A, and there are contracts being bid on to reconfigure the main terminal to get security out of the great hall.
 
iahcsr
Posts: 4777
Joined: Fri Jun 04, 1999 2:59 pm

Re: United extra gates in Den

Tue Aug 23, 2016 7:46 am

STT757 wrote:
panam330 wrote:
jetmatt777 wrote:
DEN will now have 5 UA scheduled widebody departures a day, up from 3 today. From what I hear this is set to increase further as more 772's enter the domestic fleet.


Indeed. I'm not sure if they're still loaded, but just a couple of weeks ago I noticed 2 roundtrip LAXDEN and 2 roundtrip SFODEN 777s in the late winter/early spring break season. I can't wait for all of the domestic 777s to be configured and for our new 73Gs to come online - our domestic operation (especially hub-hub) is going to look a lot different!


Indeed, 25 additional A319s, 65 additional 73Gs, and an additional 12 738s, 12 739s and the 99 737-9Max on order is going to change the dynamics at UA's hubs.


The last count I saw was a total of 13 738/9s (7&6). 'Previously used' A319s 11-25 due uncertain availablity.
Working Hard, Flying Right Friendly....
 
jetmatt777
Posts: 4297
Joined: Sun Jun 26, 2005 2:16 am

Re: United extra gates in Den

Wed Sep 14, 2016 10:43 pm

Heard today it will be a total of 2 additional gates for the west end. Not the 5-6 initially told. Construction will begin with the next few months.
 
jetmatt777
Posts: 4297
Joined: Sun Jun 26, 2005 2:16 am

Re: United extra gates in Den

Tue Oct 25, 2016 11:19 pm

Update on the DIA "Great Hall" project:

Security to move to Level 6 and the bridge security checkpoint to also be closed.

Still not sure how this will work... doesn't make a ton of sense. Still no plans released to public and DIA giving out very very little info even to tenants/airlines.

Also, construction on B concourse west gates has begun. Concrete and asphalt is in the process of being removed.

Image

Image
 
alasizon
Posts: 2598
Joined: Sat Apr 28, 2007 8:57 pm

Re: United extra gates in Den

Tue Oct 25, 2016 11:23 pm

jetmatt777 wrote:
Update on the DIA "Great Hall" project:

Security to move to Level 6 and the bridge security checkpoint to also be closed.


So security wait times are just going to go up? The bridge checkpoint has its problems but helps spread the load.
Airport (noun) - A construction site which airplanes tend to frequent
 
Americanp
Topic Author
Posts: 17
Joined: Sat Nov 29, 2014 2:31 am

Re: United extra gates in Den

Wed Oct 26, 2016 2:21 am

I honestly think that United should just keep using A gates for the 10am bank. Denver is getting really crowded. I thought Delta wanted to get more gates also.
 
caverunner17
Posts: 267
Joined: Tue Jun 14, 2016 9:50 pm

Re: United extra gates in DEN

Wed Oct 26, 2016 4:24 am

I do wonder if there will be any further long haul international expansion for UA or another *A partner at DEN. I could see UA or CA flying to PEK (UA with the 788 or CA with the A332 (I think the 332 can make the trip)) and maybe TK to IST.

I've been surprised that UA doesn't fly a 763 to LHR or CDG in the summer, even if 3-4x weekly from Memorial day to Labor day.
 
User avatar
intotheair
Posts: 1890
Joined: Sun Aug 31, 2014 12:49 pm

Re: United extra gates in DEN

Wed Oct 26, 2016 4:57 am

That would suck if the bridge security closed. That was always my favorite checkpoint. And the only reason why I stopped using it is that I got Precheck, and there's no Precheck lane there. I'm still very skeptical about how this whole terminal reconfiguration is going to work.

Americanp wrote:
I honestly think that United should just keep using A gates for the 10am bank. Denver is getting really crowded. I thought Delta wanted to get more gates also.


They went from five to six gates when they moved from C to A. Do they want even more? I guess I could see that, as that end of A is a little tight with all those jetways converging at the end.

caverunner17 wrote:
I do wonder if there will be any further long haul international expansion for UA or another *A partner at DEN. I could see UA or CA flying to PEK (UA with the 788 or CA with the A332 (I think the 332 can make the trip)) and maybe TK to IST.

I've been surprised that UA doesn't fly a 763 to LHR or CDG in the summer, even if 3-4x weekly from Memorial day to Labor day.


This has been talked about a lot before. I don't think a 763 can make it in the summer with DEN's altitude, as DEN-LHR was operated with a 772 in the past. The conventional wisdom also said that UA makes better use of its LHR slots through other hubs than through one DEN-LHR. DEN-CDG also seems unlikely to me unless if DL started it as one of those oddball routes that they sometimes fly. A Skyteam TATL nonstop to DEN would be nice.

If another Star partner comes to DEN, it would probably be TK first. That's the one that's at least been talked about in rumors.
300 319 320 321 332 333 345 346 380 717 733 734 735 73G 738 739 744 752 753 762 763 772 77W 788 789 CR2 CR7 CR9 CRK Q400 E175 DC10 MD82 MD90
AA AF AS AY AZ B6 BA BR DL F9 FI GA HA KF LH MI QX SK SN SQ UA US VY WN
 
weekendppl
Posts: 106
Joined: Tue Sep 01, 2015 5:59 am

Re: United extra gates in DEN

Wed Oct 26, 2016 5:44 am

intotheair wrote:
I'm still very skeptical about how this whole terminal reconfiguration is going to work.

I want to believe they know what they are doing and this is a great idea. But I'm skeptical as well. This seems to me like it means converting three screening checkpoints to six or more. It has to encroach on the ticket counter spaces on six which, at peak times, are already fairly crowded. It means no intrinsic ability to share security screening capacity between terminal east and west. It means, near as I can tell since I haven't been there since it was all finished, re-doing the new pathways at the south end between the Westin and A-line and the terminal to put that all outside the sterile area. It also means, near as I can figure, extending the sterile area all the way across level five and means you have to put in secured exit-only paths from level five to all the bag claims. Seems to me like you are changing four security portals (A-bridge, north, and south departure and west escalator/elevator arrival) for at least 12 (three on each side of level six for departures and three on each side for arrivals). It also means departing passengers have to go through level 6 regardless. When I was working and travelling for business I only very rarely needed to go via level 6. Go to DFW and watch how that works and tell me more small security portals works better than a few large ones. I want to believe...
 
User avatar
enilria
Posts: 10252
Joined: Fri Feb 22, 2008 7:15 pm

Re: United extra gates in DEN

Wed Oct 26, 2016 7:16 am

weekendppl wrote:
intotheair wrote:
I'm still very skeptical about how this whole terminal reconfiguration is going to work.

I want to believe they know what they are doing and this is a great idea. But I'm skeptical as well. This seems to me like it means converting three screening checkpoints to six or more. It has to encroach on the ticket counter spaces on six which, at peak times, are already fairly crowded. It means no intrinsic ability to share security screening capacity between terminal east and west. It means, near as I can tell since I haven't been there since it was all finished, re-doing the new pathways at the south end between the Westin and A-line and the terminal to put that all outside the sterile area. It also means, near as I can figure, extending the sterile area all the way across level five and means you have to put in secured exit-only paths from level five to all the bag claims. Seems to me like you are changing four security portals (A-bridge, north, and south departure and west escalator/elevator arrival) for at least 12 (three on each side of level six for departures and three on each side for arrivals). It also means departing passengers have to go through level 6 regardless. When I was working and travelling for business I only very rarely needed to go via level 6. Go to DFW and watch how that works and tell me more small security portals works better than a few large ones. I want to believe...

I haven't seen what they have built, but the problem with more smaller checkpoints is that it handles peaks poorly since some points become jammed while others are dead. Not sure if this fixes that or aggravates it.
 
a380787
Posts: 4573
Joined: Tue Jul 09, 2013 4:38 pm

Re: United extra gates in DEN

Wed Oct 26, 2016 7:58 am

someone correct me here - are all international arrivals, including UA, required to dock at Concourse A ?
 
User avatar
intotheair
Posts: 1890
Joined: Sun Aug 31, 2014 12:49 pm

Re: United extra gates in DEN

Wed Oct 26, 2016 9:35 am

a380787 wrote:
someone correct me here - are all international arrivals, including UA, required to dock at Concourse A ?


Yes. The only gates with access to customs facilities are in the A concourse. These gates are also common use, so UA has been using them for both domestic arrivals and departures at peak times. UA planes that are international arrivals arrive in A and are then towed to B for an international departure. I think Southwest also does the same thing with their international flights.

It's a bit messy, but it's a design quirk from the airport's early planning. Initially, DEN was supposed to have international T gates on the north end of the terminal just like ATL. But early on, when CO was the only pro-DIA airline, CO was able to convince officials to change the design to build an air bridge to A (which would have been their concourse) and to put all the international gates in A as well. Obviously that's a great setup if you're CO and have most of Concourse A to yourself, not so great if you're UA in B. Of course, CO dehubs DEN before DIA opens (mostly because of UA tactics to push them out of the market), UA and CO later merged, and UA is now still in the B concourse. Funny how things shake out, isn't it?
300 319 320 321 332 333 345 346 380 717 733 734 735 73G 738 739 744 752 753 762 763 772 77W 788 789 CR2 CR7 CR9 CRK Q400 E175 DC10 MD82 MD90
AA AF AS AY AZ B6 BA BR DL F9 FI GA HA KF LH MI QX SK SN SQ UA US VY WN

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos