dubaiamman243
Topic Author

Swiss is satisfied with CS100 operations

Sat Aug 20, 2016 12:01 am

Swiss International Airlines have stated that they are satisfied with the first month of operations. Although there was some minor technical glitches, the airline has stated that the dispatch dispatch reliability has reached 99%. Swiss once had a technical snag in-flight due to air-conditioning and had to return to departure airport.

Source: http://atwonline.com/airframes/swiss-sa ... 600ee9cdc8
Last edited by KarelXWB on Sat Aug 20, 2016 6:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Changed title
The next airline CEO :crossfingers:

LeCoqFrancais

Re: Swiss is satisfied with CS300 operations

Sat Aug 20, 2016 12:08 am

You might want to edit the title, its the CS100 (or BD-500-1A10) that LX is op. the CS300 (or BD-500-1A11) will be launched with airBaltic later this year.
Sébastien C. Tourillon

outoftheice

Re: Swiss is satisfied with CS100 operations

Sat Aug 20, 2016 2:08 pm

"Satisfied" isn't exactly the rave review that I was hoping to hear. The numbers sound promising but none of the comments in the article are of the kind that Bombardier could put in a press release and shop around to prospective customers. Am I reading too much into the comments? Either way one month in service is another milestone for the C-Series. Now bring on the CS 300!

DLPMMM

Sat Aug 20, 2016 2:27 pm

outoftheice wrote:
"Satisfied" isn't exactly the rave review that I was hoping to hear. The numbers sound promising but none of the comments in the article are of the kind that Bombardier could put in a press release and shop around to prospective customers. Am I reading too much into the comments? Either way one month in service is another milestone for the C-Series. Now bring on the CS 300!

Remember cultural differences! I would say you are reading way too much between the lines. For a Swiss company...especially one owned by Germans...I would say this is a rave review! ;)

Dutchy

Sat Aug 20, 2016 2:34 pm

Great news, one month of operation and achieving a 99% dispatch rate is not bad.

DLPMMM wrote:
outoftheice wrote:

Remember cultural differences! I would say you are reading way too much between the lines. For a Swiss company...especially one owned by Germans...I would say this is a rave review! ;)

Haha, indeed, it is not like the Americans, which tend to use amazing or awesome every other word. ;-)

And airlines aren't going to order the CS-series just because Swiss will use the word world chancing in their press release. They will look at the actual numbers, as far as they are available, from the testing and now the numbers from Swiss. Words are meaningless, numbers are kind.
Many happy landings, greetings from The Netherlands!

tommy1808

Sat Aug 20, 2016 2:55 pm

DLPMMM wrote:
outoftheice wrote:

exactly! "Not bad" pretty much means "well done".

best regards
Thomas
This Singature is a safe space......

YYZYYT

Sat Aug 20, 2016 5:06 pm

Dutchy wrote:
Remember cultural differences! I would say you are reading way too much between the lines. For a Swiss company...especially one owned by Germans...I would say this is a rave review! .

Awesome post, bro! :D

Does anyone have figures for dispatch reliability from other recent EIS experiences (787, 380, 350, A320NEO)?

How does 99% reliability after 30 days rank?

Revelation

Sat Aug 20, 2016 5:35 pm

tommy1808 wrote:

best regards
Thomas

Interesting, if you want to say "well done" why not just say "well done" instead of "not bad"?
Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world
The heart has its beaches, its homeland and thoughts of its own
Wake now, discover that you are the song that the morning brings
The heart has its seasons, its evenings and songs of its own

JeremyB

Sat Aug 20, 2016 6:16 pm

YYZYYT wrote:
Dutchy wrote:
Remember cultural differences! I would say you are reading way too much between the lines. For a Swiss company...especially one owned by Germans...I would say this is a rave review! .

Awesome post, bro! :D

Does anyone have figures for dispatch reliability from other recent EIS experiences (787, 380, 350, A320NEO)?

How does 99% reliability after 30 days rank?

The Boeing 787 is currently around 99%, the A350 was at 98,5% according to Airbus at the Farnborough Airshow and the A320NEO (just 8 in operation at that point) had a dispatch reliability of 99,7%. I can't find the numbers for the A380 but it was at 99,3% in September 2012 that's all I could find.

99% for a new airplane after just 30 days is remarkable.

outoftheice

Sat Aug 20, 2016 6:28 pm

A few more stats available from Bombardier:

At the 30-day in-service milestone, the aircraft had completed 136 flights and flown more than 91,000 km. It has served 13,250 passengers and four destinations (Paris, Manchester, Prague and Budapest) from its base in Zurich

A few, minor technical and operational issues relating to de-icing, air conditioning and ground handling were quickly resolved with the help of Bombardier’s on-site Customer Services team. The team is reporting that the CS100 aircraft is proving to be relatively easy to service and troubleshoot, and the valuable field experience is quickly contributing to the team’s knowledge base

http://news.commercialaircraft.bombardier.com/cs100-aircraft-reaches-30-day-in-service-milestone/

lightsaber

Sat Aug 20, 2016 7:48 pm

Satisfied sounds like "How was your date, 'OK' " Not exactly what I hoped for.

But then again, it would be a Lufthansa order that we C-series fans hope for. :) Note: I do not mean necessarily for LH, but another order by the LH group.

outoftheice wrote:
A few more stats available from Bombardier:

At the 30-day in-service milestone, the aircraft had completed 136 flights and flown more than 91,000 km. It has served 13,250 passengers and four destinations (Paris, Manchester, Prague and Budapest) from its base in Zurich

A few, minor technical and operational issues relating to de-icing, air conditioning and ground handling were quickly resolved with the help of Bombardier’s on-site Customer Services team. The team is reporting that the CS100 aircraft is proving to be relatively easy to service and troubleshoot, and the valuable field experience is quickly contributing to the team’s knowledge base

http://news.commercialaircraft.bombardier.com/cs100-aircraft-reaches-30-day-in-service-milestone/

I always appreciate links! Thank you.

99% isn't bad for the first month. I had hoped for better, but for a new type, that isn't bad. I expect we'll see much more intense operation of the type by winter.

Sigh... As a Pratt fan I've had to develop more patience. ;)

Lightsaber
IM messages to mods on warnings and bans will be ignored and nasty ones will result in a ban.

JetBuddy

Sat Aug 20, 2016 7:56 pm

Revelation wrote:
tommy1808 wrote:

best regards
Thomas

Interesting, if you want to say "well done" why not just say "well done" instead of "not bad"?

Understatements is a thing in many European cultures. Saying "not bad" is a sign you did well. Americans are much better at praising each other and cheering each other when someone has done good, or something has gone well. In Europe it's not always like that.

LXA340

Sat Aug 20, 2016 8:01 pm

Just yesterday there must have been an issue with one of the C series on LX 380 bound for MAN. I saw it standing next to runway 28 on the side of the E gates facing the terminal. After some minutes it taxied back and turned around and then lined up to the runway. Saw that it left gate on time but took off over an hour late

anfromme

Sat Aug 20, 2016 8:33 pm

Revelation wrote:
tommy1808 wrote:

best regards
Thomas

Cultural differences.
I lived in the South of Ireland for the better part of seven years. There, the standard response to the question "How are you (doing)?" was "Not too bad." If you responded "OK", people would often ask what was wrong. Even elsewhere in Ireland - not the biggest country in the world by any means - this would work quite differently.

I might also add that I worked in customer support for a while, dealing with customers from all over the world. Feedback surveys were a regular thing - and everybody in my team (including myself) could attest that getting a 10/10 rating from a German customer was quite a lot more difficult than getting the same rating from other countries.
In the meantime, I've switched sides and occasionally have to submit feedback surveys to customer support - and I find as a customer, I'm actually exactly the same, i.e. I rarely give a 10/10 (or equivalent). For a 10/10, my expectations have to be exceeded by a pretty big margin.

Getting back to Swiss - they're not only choosing their words carefully because they're Swiss/owned by Germans, but because - as they say in the article - they don't have enough CS100 in their fleet to get reliable numbers on operations. Which makes sense.

scbriml

Sat Aug 20, 2016 10:10 pm

Satisfied? Talk about damned with faint praise!
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!
There are 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary and those that don't.

rbrunner

Sat Aug 20, 2016 10:29 pm

Let us wait until we've got at least 6 aircraft flying passengers around for at least 6 months until we draw any conclusions.

Dutchy

Sun Aug 21, 2016 1:15 am

A personal anecdote (approximately 30 years ago):

My aunt and uncle had a first diner with my grandfather. My uncle is the son of my grandfather. So you know how this goes, my aunt really made a fuss about this dinner, trying to impress my grandfather. So she made this fancy dinner, everything was just right.
Now some back ground info is needed. The Netherlands is traditionally divided and in some sense it still is culturally in the protestant north and catholic south. My grandfather was a farmer in the most northern province and my aunt is from the south.

The dinner went great, so my aunt was content how it went and thought my grandfather was entertained as well. So she asked him how he liked his dinner, he answered that it was quite good. Now in the south this means almost that you've poisoned the person, in the north it means that it was the best dinner he had ever had :-)

That is the cultural difference in 200km / 120miles for you yanks in a country of only 17million people.

So we need te be careful how we interpreted certain things and just let us analyze cold hard data instead :-)
Many happy landings, greetings from The Netherlands!

rheinwaldner

Fri Nov 04, 2016 12:30 pm

Here is a new summary about this topic from a report from beginning of October:
  • Overall the airline is very happy
  • Regarding teething issues the phase in has been spectacularly smooth (compared with new aircraft in general, but also in particular compared with the Saab 2000 introduction as launch customer by Crossair).
  • 100% reliability of the geared fan
  • Fuel burn better than promised in the contract
  • Pilots could not believe, that a flight Zurich Stuttgart would not require more than 900kg fuel.
  • Only two times a C series aircraft had to stay on ground and be replaced by a reserve aircraft for a flight. One time due to an air conditioning issue and the second due to a reported error in the de-icing area
  • The only systematic but minor failures are (absolute peanuts IMO):
    • Mic feedback because a loudspeaker is placed exactly where the FAs make their announcement
    • Instable supply of drinking water to the coffee machine

A remark about the deliveries: the planned number of 7 will not be reached anymore in 2016. Reason: the production rate for fan blades at P&W is not sufficient.

http://www.aargauerzeitung.ch/wirtschaf ... -130618831
Many things are difficult, all things are possible!

mjoelnir

Fri Nov 04, 2016 2:14 pm

Revelation wrote:
tommy1808 wrote:

best regards
Thomas

Because you translate out of your own language and German is not into the American English superlatives.

nikeson13

Fri Nov 04, 2016 2:21 pm

rheinwaldner wrote:
Here is a new summary about this topic from a report from beginning of October:
  • Overall the airline is very happy
  • Regarding teething issues the phase in has been spectacularly smooth (compared with new aircraft in general, but also in particular compared with the Saab 2000 introduction as launch customer by Crossair).
  • 100% reliability of the geared fan
  • Fuel burn better than promised in the contract
  • Pilots could not believe, that a flight Zurich Stuttgart would not require more than 900kg fuel.
  • Only two times a C series aircraft had to stay on ground and be replaced by a reserve aircraft for a flight. One time due to an air conditioning issue and the second due to a reported error in the de-icing area
  • The only systematic but minor failures are (absolute peanuts IMO):
    • Mic feedback because a loudspeaker is placed exactly where the FAs make their announcement

A remark about the deliveries: the planned number of 7 will not be reached anymore in 2016. Reason: the production rate for fan blades at P&W is not sufficient.

Feedback looks all good, find it funny that everything is perfect but the loudspeaker and coffee machine, two things probably overlooked for other things in the design process. I liked this quote from the article (translated from German):
"Of course this is not yet very clear. We have only two planes in a short time. But basically the CSeries 100 consumes really little. We had pilots who did not want to believe that they needed only 900 kilograms of fuel from Stuttgart to Zurich."
Nikolas

Rajahdhani

Fri Nov 04, 2016 3:53 pm

Dutchy wrote:
A personal anecdote (approximately 30 years ago):

My aunt and uncle had a first diner with my grandfather. My uncle is the son of my grandfather. So you know how this goes, my aunt really made a fuss about this dinner, trying to impress my grandfather. So she made this fancy dinner, everything was just right.
Now some back ground info is needed. The Netherlands is traditionally divided and in some sense it still is culturally in the protestant north and catholic south. My grandfather was a farmer in the most northern province and my aunt is from the south.

The dinner went great, so my aunt was content how it went and thought my grandfather was entertained as well. So she asked him how he liked his dinner, he answered that it was quite good. Now in the south this means almost that you've poisoned the person, in the north it means that it was the best dinner he had ever had :-)

That is the cultural difference in 200km / 120miles for you yanks in a country of only 17million people.

So we need te be careful how we interpreted certain things and just let us analyze cold hard data instead :-)

#BEST.POST.EVER , er-ehm- I mean, quite good!

Back to topic, it's also a little impressive that any statement is being made, at all. Considering that this is the first, of the type, at a new operator, on another Continent (from the manufacturer), it is impressive at 99%. Kudos to the C-Series, Bombardier, and Swiss! Quite Good, indeed!

tommy1808

Fri Nov 04, 2016 4:04 pm

JetBuddy wrote:
Revelation wrote:

Understatements is a thing in many European cultures. Saying "not bad" is a sign you did well. Americans are much better at praising each other and cheering each other when someone has done good, or something has gone well. In Europe it's not always like that.

Yup, we exaggerate offense, but we understate praise. "Not shitty" is usually also a praise, on the other hand i can tell my boss "fuck you" or "geh sterben" (go and die) no problem, unless of course i would obviously be serious about it.

best regards
Thomas
This Singature is a safe space......

StTim

Fri Nov 04, 2016 4:08 pm

Not bad is commonly used in the UK to mean pretty good.

oldannyboy

Fri Nov 04, 2016 4:15 pm

Revelation wrote:
tommy1808 wrote:

best regards
Thomas

Ha!... go tell (us) Brits about it! :-)

oldannyboy

Fri Nov 04, 2016 4:19 pm

I would think that those numbers, plus the statement, are clear indicators of a very satisfactory introduction...

CRJ900

Fri Nov 04, 2016 5:29 pm

lightsaber wrote:

But then again, it would be a Lufthansa order that we C-series fans hope for. :) Note: I do not mean necessarily for LH, but another order by the LH group.
Lightsaber

I'm hoping too. LH Group airlines collectively have 100 A319 (LH mainline, Austrian, Germanwings, Brussels) - I'm leaving SWISS out as they already have the CS100/300 on order - and the CS300 would be a great replacement for the A319. Perhaps not 100 aircraft but maybe 70-80 CS300. The Group's A320s will all have 174-180 seats eventually, and 140-150-seat CS300 will slot nicely in. The GTF commonality with the A320/A321NEOs will come in handy too, I imagine.

Glad to read that SWISS is happy with the CS100 - according to flightradar24 the three aircraft fly six flights each every day with good on-time performance.

Now longing for the beautiful airBaltic CS300 to enter service :)
Come, fly the prevailing winds with me

kaitak

Fri Nov 04, 2016 6:44 pm

anfromme wrote:
Revelation wrote:
tommy1808 wrote:

best regards
Thomas

Cultural differences.
I lived in the South of Ireland for the better part of seven years. There, the standard response to the question "How are you (doing)?" was "Not too bad." If you responded "OK", people would often ask what was wrong. Even elsewhere in Ireland - not the biggest country in the world by any means - this would work quite differently.

In Irish, the phrase is "beo ar eigin", (or "alive anyway"), as in "ah, sure grand, amn't I alive anyway?"). It doesn't really translate too well into the aviation world, which is why Aer Lingus will never say of their aircraft, "ah sure they're grand".

As someone who works with Swiss banks on a regular basis, I can tell you "satisfactory" or "acceptable" is very good indeed.

I think it's no bad thing for Bombardier to have Swiss as its first customer, as in "if you can satisfy Swiss ... "

Good luck to the C-series; can't wait to fly on it!

aerolimani

Fri Nov 04, 2016 7:56 pm

A joke I heard from my German friend:

"A [insert nationality here] couple had adopted a German baby. However, after some years, they became increasingly worried because the child never never spoke. Then, when he was 8 years old, while eating a strudel, he suddenly said "This strudel is cold." His parents, in great shock, asked "Wolfgang, why have you never spoken before?" He replied "Well… up until now, everything has been satisfactory."

rheinwaldner

Sat Nov 05, 2016 7:46 am

kaitak wrote:
As someone who works with Swiss banks on a regular basis, I can tell you "satisfactory" or "acceptable" is very good indeed.

And as a Swiss who works in a Swiss Bank I can tell you, that the wording in the article I have linked means, that they are extraordinarily satisfied. Word by word the C Series fleet representative within Swiss said:
"What we have experienced, must be called sensational.". This is rare and extremely positive talk in Swiss business circles, you could say they are enthusiastic...
Many things are difficult, all things are possible!

opticalilyushin

Sat Nov 05, 2016 8:07 am

Another often miss-understood expression is referring to something as 'half-decent', meaning pretty good, not bad etc. but describing something as only 50% decent or good can obviously cause issues in translation.

Anyway, I look forward to flying the C-Series next month (attempt no. 2)

NYCRuss

Sat Nov 05, 2016 3:49 pm

rheinwaldner wrote:
kaitak wrote:

And as a Swiss who works in a Swiss Bank I can tell you, that the wording in the article I have linked means, that they are extraordinarily satisfied. Word by word the C Series fleet representative within Swiss said:
"What we have experienced, must be called sensational.". This is rare and extremely positive talk in Swiss business circles, you could say they are enthusiastic...

This is great to hear. I'm hoping that the CSeries turns out to be a tremendous success for the airlines purchasing it, as well as for Bombardier.

JulietteBravo

Sat Nov 05, 2016 5:18 pm

rheinwaldner wrote:
(...)
[*]The only systematic but minor failures are (absolute peanuts IMO):
[/list]

... :lol:
So funny, but working on the CS1, these two failures were in fact the only ones i have experienced on my flights so far! I felt like a priest in a cathedral making my announcements because of the hall/feedback effect :D

I can confirm the statement that flight and cabin crew are very happy working on her (Americans: "very happy" means in this case "enthusiastic" ;) )

CRJ900

Sat Nov 05, 2016 6:21 pm

JulietteBravo wrote:
I can confirm the statement that flight and cabin crew are very happy working on her (Americans: "very happy" means in this case "enthusiastic" ;) )

Can you pleeeeease elaborate a bit more? Are the ergonomics better on this new bird, like - is the galley better laid out, more comfy jumpseats, emergency equipment better positioned etc? You are so lucky to work onboard this new bird - I'm green with envy :)

r2rho

Mon Nov 07, 2016 2:09 pm

99% dispatch reliability, 2 AOGs, issues with the mic and the coffee machine, and a "satisifed" Swiss customer is extremely good performance for a new type, even more so considering BBD is treading on completly new territory for them - this is not an A320NEO.

To put it in American wording, the CSeries is an awesome, disruptive, transformational, empowering and excellent aircraft ;). Some well needed (and well deserved IMO!) positive feedback on the program.

JulietteBravo

Sat Nov 12, 2016 4:02 pm

CRJ900 wrote:

Can you pleeeeease elaborate a bit more? Are the ergonomics better on this new bird, like - is the galley better laid out, more comfy jumpseats, emergency equipment better positioned etc? You are so lucky to work onboard this new bird - I'm green with envy :)

:)

Well let me try, CRJ900:
First that depends with which aircrafts you compare. Swiss cabin crews use to work shorthaul on the A320 family and/or Avro RJ100. So we compare with these.

- Compared to the Galleys on a Avro the CS Galleys are big, roomy, nicely bright and well structured. Location of emergency equipment is easy to get familiar with and easily accessible.
- Compared to the A320P (Swiss has the space flex Airbus galleys): C Class and Y Class Galleys of the CSeries can be described as quite similar to the ones we have on A320P. But for only 125 instead of 180 Pax. Aft galley only 2 halfsize trolleys in a row instead of 3 on A320P. And forward galley with a fwd facing and a rear facing galley part. So for a smaller Aircraft the CSeries has a roomy galley like an Airbus (LX galley versions). Also positive is that door 1R and therefore gally is more in the front than 1L. While boarding no disturbance when you work in the fwd galley.
Jumpseats are similar to A320 but I felt less hard.

Other things that are very positive when you work as CCM:
- Overheadbins are in fact huge -> no discussions with Pax nor desperatly searching for a free space.
- Noise level is more comfortable (middle section loud because of aircon - but jumpseat areas silent).
- Toilets bigger than on most longhaul aircrafts.
- with it's huge windows it feels bright and gives a roomy overall feeling - even if full house, Pax are less feeling squeezed and therefore less agressive ;)

I tried to upload fotos i took of of the galleys - unfortunately I don' t get how i could do that. Sorry. But maybe this tripreport gives you an idea - there is one foto of the aft galley: https://www.airliners.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=1346987

KarelXWB

Tue Nov 29, 2016 10:14 am

New article:

Swiss grades CS100 after four months in service

As a subsidiary of Lufthansa, an airline highly experienced with introducing new aircraft types, Swiss’s expectations for the CS100’s debut were set slightly lower than Bombardier’s pronounced goal of achieving a “flawless” entry into service. Bombardier defined flawless as a dispatch rate of at least 99%, a standard that would compare the upstart CSeries favourably with far more mature competitors in the narrowbody sector.

With only three CS100s flying, Koch cautions against drawing too many conclusions from such a statistically small sample. Weekly trends shift more dramatically with a fleet of three than of 20, which is Swiss’s planned stable of CS100s within two years. So far, the three-member CS100 fleet runs below the 99% dispatch reliability standard on some weeks, he says.

But the overall trend still exceeds Swiss’s expectations. Software bugs are a frequent source of serious teething problems for new aircraft, especially those featuring advanced fly-by-wire control systems. The main irritation are “nuisance messages”, which distract the flight crew with unnecessary status messages or — more worrisomely — phantom caution alerts.

Regarding the fuel burn:

Swiss is still measuring the CS100’s precise fuel burn data, so has not reached a final conclusion on the central performance issue for Bombardier’s latest commercial product. The initial data, however, seems promising.

“We’re very happy with the fuel burn,” Koch says. “The performance of the aircraft shows to be even better than what Bombardier promised, but now we’re waiting for the statistics.”

Regarding engine startup time:

The CSeries is less exposed to the start-up delay than the version of the A320neo powered by a larger PW1100G. Early customers complained of start-up delays measuring several minutes to fire up both engines, when the industry standard is 2min or less. By contrast, the CS100 requires 2min30sec to start-up both engines, Koch says.

“So it’s longer than other engines but still within a good timeframe,” he says.
What we leave behind is not as important as how we've lived.

CRJ900

Mon Dec 05, 2016 7:17 pm

JulietteBravo: thanks so much for sharing :D

The CSeries sound like great aircraft and I am a believer that they will make an impact when there are more of them flying and passengers get used to the nicer experience of flying. There are more and more videos popping up of airBaltic's CS300 and they look nice too.

Will SWISS take all the ordered CS100 before introducing the CS300 or will they take some CS300 in between the CS100?

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos