Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

BUFJACK10
Topic Author

ERJ vs CRJ Which is more efficient?

Sun Aug 21, 2016 12:02 am

It's common knowledge that 50 seat aircraft are slowly leaving scheduled service in favor of more efficient aircraft. I've always been curious as to which overall is the more cost effective of the 2. I couldn't find any information on this using the search function

VSMUT

Re: ERJ vs CRJ Which is more efficient?

Sun Aug 21, 2016 8:52 am

The ERJ I would guess. Why?

The ERJ is a smaller and lighter aircraft, and the 50 seat variant is probably more optimized for the mission. The CRJ was capable of being stretched into a 100 seater, which says a lot about how much different it was.

The CRJ-100/200 had it's first flight in 1991, but was essentially just a stretched version of the CL-600, a 1970s design optimized for a different mission. The CF-34 engine dates from 1981.

The ERJ had it's first flight in 1995, and while the fuselage came from the EMB-120, the wings were of a completely new design. It is powered by the RR AE 3007, an engine that had it's first run in 1991.

I think the ERJ was generally also carried the lowest price-tag of the two.

To sum it up, the ERJ was designed specifically for the 50-seat regional mission, and was optimized for that. It was a newer design, and featured newer technology. It could not be stretched any further though, had a shorter range and arrived slightly later. It also came at a time when fuel was cheap.

jfern022

Re: ERJ vs CRJ Which is more efficient?

Sun Aug 21, 2016 9:35 pm

I would agree with the ERJ. The CR2's are enjoying the low fuel cost, hence why some are being dug out of the graveyard for Endeavor.
The E145 is also more preferred by the passenger.