lightsaber
Topic Author

Hundred thousand aircraft in operation

Sun Aug 21, 2016 4:10 am

While searching for other aviation related information, I stumbled across the fact that

Business jets+business turboprops+helicopters+commercial airliners+commercial turboprops=100,030 aircraft in operation.

The pdf link: http://www.jetnet.com/news/JETNET_JuneMarketInfo.pdf

Even without general aviation aircraft we now have a hundred thousand aircraft in operation (note: includes piston powered helicopters).

That number pleasantly surprised me (I didn't expect to see over a hundred thousand, without general aviation piston aircraft, this soon). :)

Thoughts?
Lightsaber
IM messages to mods on warnings and bans will be ignored and nasty ones will result in a ban.

CaptainKramer

Re: Hundred thousand aircraft in operation

Sun Aug 21, 2016 10:18 am

Thanks for posting that figure Lightsaber. Years ago I wondered what that figure would have been, if you just factor in all aspects of Commercial Aviation, after reading about the public perception of Commercial Aviation's adverse impact on the environment, somehow being greater or more significant than other transport modes across the Globe.

An advert even ran on U.K. T.V.,initially showing a small parked car. The camera dollied in on the car as an airplane flew overhead out of shot, the reflection of which was shown in the wind screen of the car. A graphic appeared, stating words to the effect that travelling by car has a higher impact in terms of CO2 emissions than Commercial Aviation, which IIRC only contributes about 2% of overall emissions.

Anyone have any idea how many Cars, Vans, Trucks. Buses and Motorcycles there are in the world at present? Same for Commercial Boating and Shipping. Love to know!

uta999

Sun Aug 21, 2016 12:47 pm

There are approximately 1 billion to 1.2 billion motor vehicles in the world today. It is not possible to get a more accurate figure.

The environmental impact caused by aviation is hugely overstated. There is no way that less than 100k aeroplanes are giving out 2% of overall emissions, when over a billion cars, lorries and buses are in use constantly. Then there are 7 billion people, factories, power generation, natural disasters, weather events, even wars. Aviation is probably closer to 0.01%.
Your computer just got better

flightsimer

Sun Aug 21, 2016 2:56 pm

100K is not that much when you put into perspective that the USAF has ~6,500 aircraft in its inventory, the USN has ~2,400, USMC has ~1,300, Army has ~4,400 aircraft and the coast guard 210. That's 15,000 aircraft, of which I would say there could be an error of up to 10% higher than actual.

I would say between GA, commercial and military, we are looking at a number around 500,000 aircraft.
Commercial / Airline Pilot

Gr8Circle

Sun Aug 21, 2016 11:48 pm

What would be the rough number of planes in the air or taxiing / with engines running, at any point of time? That would be more relevant for the environmental issues.....

lightsaber
Topic Author

Mon Aug 22, 2016 4:56 am

flightsimer wrote:
100K is not that much when you put into perspective that the USAF has ~6,500 aircraft in its inventory, the USN has ~2,400, USMC has ~1,300, Army has ~4,400 aircraft and the coast guard 210. That's 15,000 aircraft, of which I would say there could be an error of up to 10% higher than actual.

I would say between GA, commercial and military, we are looking at a number around 500,000 aircraft.

General aviation has, per the link I found, 155,180 piston in 2011 (trend is downward). So total aircraft, including GA, is just over a quarter million. The global military makes it probably about 300,000 in total. Military air budgets are not a fraction of what they used to be during the cold war (there is a reason so much of the global arsenal is cold war relics even about 27 years after the fall of the Berlin wall.

I'm still impressed as to the total numbers. :) I like finding out facts that are better than I had thought.

Lightsaber
IM messages to mods on warnings and bans will be ignored and nasty ones will result in a ban.

JetBuddy

Mon Aug 22, 2016 10:20 am

CaptainKramer wrote:
An advert even ran on U.K. T.V.,initially showing a small parked car. The camera dollied in on the car as an airplane flew overhead out of shot, the reflection of which was shown in the wind screen of the car. A graphic appeared, stating words to the effect that travelling by car has a higher impact in terms of CO2 emissions than Commercial Aviation, which IIRC only contributes about 2% of overall emissions.

Anyone have any idea how many Cars, Vans, Trucks. Buses and Motorcycles there are in the world at present? Same for Commercial Boating and Shipping. Love to know!

uta999 wrote:
The environmental impact caused by aviation is hugely overstated. There is no way that less than 100k aeroplanes are giving out 2% of overall emissions, when over a billion cars, lorries and buses are in use constantly. Then there are 7 billion people, factories, power generation, natural disasters, weather events, even wars. Aviation is probably closer to 0.01%.

An interesting fact regarding the talk of pollution; the 15 biggest ships in operation in the world today pollute more than all the cars in the world combined. And livestock pollute more than the entire aviation industry combined.

N14AZ

Mon Aug 22, 2016 10:31 am

Does anybody remember the JP airliner fleet books? I wonder how big it would be nowadays...

EIDL

Mon Aug 22, 2016 11:27 am

lightsaber wrote:
(note: includes piston powered helicopters).

And piston commercial aircraft, I'd assume - BN2/BN3, any remaining DC3s, etc.

SomebodyInTLS

Mon Aug 22, 2016 3:06 pm

uta999 wrote:
There are approximately 1 billion to 1.2 billion motor vehicles in the world today. It is not possible to get a more accurate figure.

Don't forget that the effect of aviation is much greater than simply the proportion of its pollutants...

• Aviation puts many of its pollutants at the worst possible location, i.e. where they most affect the ozone layer, where they seed clouds, where they most directly influence greenhouse forcing, where there are the lowest chances of mitigating factors such as CO2 absorption by plant life, etc.
  • Forming of vapour trails, which have an uninhibited tendency to grow into much larger "clouds" at that level of the atmosphere, combined with the aforementioned forcing and seeding effects mean that the direct contribution to greenhouse effect is greatly magnified.
  • Manufacture of aluminium, due to much higher requirements that in just about every other industry, results in an enormous economic/energy/environmental cost in refinement and then again in the high level of wastage compared to other industries. Many nasty chemicals used for priming etc. (although this is rapidly changing). Manufacture of composites possibly even worse due to processes and components and subsequent non-recyclability.

Don't get me wrong, I'm a fan of the business I'm in, but we shouldn't kid ourselves that these aren't issues - they are. At least they're being worked on...
"As with most things related to aircraft design, it's all about the trade-offs and much more nuanced than A.net likes to make out."

flightsimer

Tue Aug 23, 2016 9:34 pm

lightsaber wrote:
flightsimer wrote:

General aviation has, per the link I found, 155,180 piston in 2011 (trend is downward). So total aircraft, including GA, is just over a quarter million. The global military makes it probably about 300,000 in total. Military air budgets are not a fraction of what they used to be during the cold war (there is a reason so much of the global arsenal is cold war relics even about 27 years after the fall of the Berlin wall.

I'm still impressed as to the total numbers. :) I like finding out facts that are better than I had thought.

Lightsaber

In 2011, there was a quarter of a million planes registered in the US ALONE, excluding military aircraft according to AOPA.

While GA is slowly trending down, (in reality it isn't, what is happening is that the registrations of non-flying aircraft that haven't been flying for years are finally expiring off the records) overall aviation numbers are growing in the US YOY.
Commercial / Airline Pilot

simairlinenet

Tue Aug 23, 2016 9:48 pm

Here are figures on U.S. vehicles of all types: http://www.rita.dot.gov/bts/sites/rita. ... 01_11.html

For 2014, of note:
-6,676 airliners
-204,408 general aviation aircraft
-1.3 million freight cars for trains
-12 million boats
-260 million highway vehicles

SomebodyInTLS wrote:
uta999 wrote:

Don't forget that the effect of aviation is much greater than simply the proportion of its pollutants...

Taking the numbers above, consider that:
A typical car is 3,000 lbs. vs. a 150,000-lb. airliner (50x)
The airliner also travels at 500 mph vs. 25 mph (20x)
The airliner is also used 12 hours per day vs. 1 hour per day for the car (12x)

So by those estimates, each airliner consumes ~12,000 times as much fuel per year as the car does. Therefore, 6,676 airliners = 80 million highway vehicles.

(I have done fuel efficiency and aviation environmental issues for a living--so I can offer more precise figures and back them up if needed. These are just to demonstrate the magnitude of comparing cars and aircraft.)

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos