LeCoqFrancais
Topic Author

No more special meals onboard Air Transat flights for passengers in Economy

Tue Aug 23, 2016 10:33 am

TORONTO — A popular airline says it has stopped offering meal accommodations for the majority of travellers who require special diets for health or religious reasons.
Air Transat says passengers flying economy class on transatlantic flights are required to choose from a selection of hot sandwiches which cannot be adapted to address allergies or other restrictions.
The airline says its EuroBistro menu includes an option for vegetarians and says it can accommodate requests for kosher meals, but says it cannot provide choices suitable for conditions such as gluten-intolerance or meals that conform with other religious traditions.

http://www.ctvnews.ca/business/travelle ... -1.3039720
--
Already that I find this move dumb, I find that they made it dumber by keeping the Kosher meal option. I mean, either stop ALL special meals or don't stop them at all.
Sébastien C. Tourillon

jfklganyc

Re: No more special meals onboard Air Transat flights for passengers in Economy

Tue Aug 23, 2016 10:53 am

Thank you!!!! We have become a self absorbed, self obsessed society.

Need a special meal? Bring it from home. If not, eat the same in flight gruel that 99% of people eat (to pass the time honestly) and call it a day.

shufflemoomin

Tue Aug 23, 2016 12:02 pm

"Self-absorbed and self-obsessed"? Don't be so ridiculous. Besides lifestyle or religious reasons, some people have legitimate medical dietary requirements such as not being able to consume gluten or lactose. You think those people should pack enough food for an 8 hour flight and bring it from home, even though they're paying the same price as everyone else? I haven't heard such an ignorant and stupid statement in a long time.

DC1979

Tue Aug 23, 2016 12:11 pm

jfklganyc wrote:

Need a special meal? Bring it from home. If not, eat the same in flight gruel that 99% of people eat (to pass the time honestly) and call it a day.

What a ridiculous statement. There's a difference between I don't like something and I can't have something for religious/medical reasons and these people should not have to pack food for an eight hour flight. A self absorbed and self obsessed society? Based on your comment, I'd say more like a world filled with people without compassion and respect for others.

LeCoqFrancais
Topic Author

Tue Aug 23, 2016 12:19 pm

jfklganyc wrote:

I have numerous food allergies (beef, gluten, rice, tapioca, dairy and eggs), so I can NOT have the standard meal that is served on most flights. But it would be selfish of me to ask for a meal I can eat considering the airline is not charging me less then my neighbour that can eat the standard meal? I always bring my own onboard, but not everybody can. And also its not fare for us with allergies to pay the same fare as everyone and receive less.
Sébastien C. Tourillon

Dominion301

Tue Aug 23, 2016 12:48 pm

jfklganyc wrote:

On behalf of all those with celiac disease and food allergies, we collectively applaud your kind, caring attitude towards your fellow human beings.

jfklganyc

Tue Aug 23, 2016 1:43 pm

Sorry to offend, but I am going to further offend.

There are legit people with real sickness out there. Kids that have throat closures from peanuts. People with celiac disease. Colitis. My heart goes out to them.

Most of you claiming allergies or gluten are the victims of an overdiagnosed, over medicated society.

I am old enough to tell you that I never heard of a gluten allergy until the mid 90s. Now a day doesnt go by that I dont come across someone that gets viciously sick if they have any gluten at all.

I am old enough to tell you that in NYC I went to several schools with 2000 + kids and I never came across a person with peanut allergy that prohibited us from having PB and J for lunch. Ever. Now every school across the US has multiple such students.

At 34, I'm not that old.

So either we, as humans, have devolved in a terrible way in 25 years

Or, we really have altered our development with VERY toxic hormones in 25 years

Or, we really have altered our development with a VERY toxic environment in 25 years

Or...we are an over diagnosed, over medicated, self absorbed society.

For 99%, enjoy the crappy chicken or pasta included with the fare (for now).

For the 1%, bring food for the quick overnight flight...when you normally wouldnt eat anyway!

If that offends you...sorry.

Varsity1

Tue Aug 23, 2016 2:19 pm

shufflemoomin wrote:
"Self-absorbed and self-obsessed"? Don't be so ridiculous. Besides lifestyle or religious reasons, some people have legitimate medical dietary requirements such as not being able to consume gluten or lactose. You think those people should pack enough food for an 8 hour flight and bring it from home, even though they're paying the same price as everyone else? I haven't heard such an ignorant and stupid statement in a long time.

There are quite literally an unlimited number of 'special' food tolerances out there, medical or religious. Asking for an airline to keep all these on hand is unreasonable. They aren't your parents. Grow up and take responsibility for yourself and your own needs.
"PPRuNe will no longer allow discussions regarding Etihad Airlines, its employees, executives, agents, or other representatives. Such threads will be deleted." - ME3 thug airlines suing anyone who brings negative information public..

ricport

Tue Aug 23, 2016 2:58 pm

Varsity1 wrote:
shufflemoomin wrote:

There are quite literally an unlimited number of 'special' food tolerances out there, medical or religious. Asking for an airline to keep all these on hand is unreasonable. They aren't your parents. Grow up and take responsibility for yourself and your own needs.

EXACTLY. I feel sorry for the airlines and other industries who have to cater to special, little snowflakes. Here in the U.S., I don't know how we managed to survive over 200 years of existence without everyone being treated like a spoiled, coddled child. If I don't like the airline meal -- for WHATEVER reason -- I bring my own, or there are now lots of options at most airports to buy your special meal and bring it on board.

LeCoqFrancais
Topic Author

Tue Aug 23, 2016 3:03 pm

jfklganyc wrote:

There are legit people with real sickness out there. Kids that have throat closures from peanuts. People with celiac disease. Colitis. My heart goes out to them.

Most of you claiming allergies or gluten are the victims of an overdiagnosed, over medicated society.

I am old enough to tell you that I never heard of a gluten allergy until the mid 90s. Now a day doesnt go by that I dont come across someone that gets viciously sick if they have any gluten at all.

I am old enough to tell you that in NYC I went to several schools with 2000 + kids and I never came across a person with peanut allergy that prohibited us from having PB and J for lunch. Ever. Now every school across the US has multiple such students.

At 34, I'm not that old.

Or, we really have altered our development with a VERY toxic environment in 25 years

For the 1%, bring food for the quick overnight flight...when you normally wouldnt eat anyway!

You are the rudest, most self centered, ignorant and simply indifferent member I've seen. Despite what you say at the top of your post, you show no sympathy what so ever too any one with religious beliefs or special need. I hope that when you get a child of your own he has numerous food allergies so that you can learn from him, or maybe I don't wish that for your kid, because from what I read in yours posts you would simply feed him food he can't have...
Varsity1 wrote:
shufflemoomin wrote:

You are not much better, its only reasonable for people with allergies to get the same service and amenities as a person with out allergies as both of them pay the same fare. Sometimes you can't bring your own food with you even if you want, lets say I'm staying at a hotel and then I have 8 hour flight, how do I prepare myself a meal? I can't.
I bring my own food with me, and most people with severe food allergies do as well, but it does not mean that the ones that don't are not grown up and don't watch for themselves or take responsibility for themselves. And even if I bring my own food, it does not mean its fare or normal that I do, considering I am paying for a meal I can not eat.
Sébastien C. Tourillon

jetblueguy22

Tue Aug 23, 2016 3:15 pm

LeCoqFrancais wrote:
jfklganyc wrote:

At 34, I'm not that old.

You are the rudest, most self centered, ignorant and simply indifferent member I've seen. Despite what you say at the top of your post, you show no sympathy what so ever too any one with religious beliefs or special need. I hope that when you get a child of your own he has numerous food allergies so that you can learn from him, or maybe I don't wish that for your kid, because from what I read in yours posts you would simply feed him food he can't have...
Varsity1 wrote:
shufflemoomin wrote:

You are not much better, its only reasonable for people with allergies to get the same service and amenities as a person with out allergies as both of them pay the same fare. Sometimes you can't bring your own food with you even if you want, lets say I'm staying at a hotel and then I have 8 hour flight, how do I prepare myself a meal? I can't.
I bring my own food with me, and most people with severe food allergies do as well, but it does not mean that the ones that don't are not grown up and don't watch for themselves or take responsibility for themselves. And even if I bring my own food, it does not mean its fare or normal that I do, considering I am paying for a meal I can not eat.

Calling someone rude, and then saying what you did. Unreal. You are doing the exact same thing as him, just using the victim card.

I happen to agree with him, and I have numerous allergies, including peanuts. I don't expect the airline to give me special treatment over it. I'm an adult, I can find a solution to my own problems.
Look at sweatpants guy. This is a 90 million dollar aircraft, not a Tallahassee strip club

frmrCapCadet

Tue Aug 23, 2016 3:16 pm

I suspect the simplest solution would be a variety of food-packs - think Fritos, potato chips, energy bars. The corn ones, the oaten ones, tinned fruits. beef or lamb jerky would avoid other commonly compromising ingredients and be acceptable to all sects. If someone needs foods blessed by their sect they probably should bring or buy their own. The small shops found close to gates could carry them.
Buffet: the airline business...has eaten up capital...like..no other (business)

TheFlyingDisk

Tue Aug 23, 2016 3:50 pm

Varsity1 wrote:
shufflemoomin wrote:

Airlines don't "keep" the special meals in stock at all - the meals will be ordered from the caterer whenever there is a request for it. So technically, it will only cost the airline when someone asks for that meal.

If Air Transat don't want to prepare special meals for those who require it, then they should give those people the option to have the cost of a meal deducted from their ticket.
I FLY KLM+ALASKA+QATAR+MALAYSIA+AIRASIA+MALINDO

CanadaFair

Tue Aug 23, 2016 3:53 pm

Only the health issues grouip will be affected, vegans will go for the veggie option including Hindus, while Muslims can opt for Kosher and vegetarian.
Last edited by CanadaFair on Tue Aug 23, 2016 4:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

KentB27

Tue Aug 23, 2016 3:59 pm

If you need special meals or accommodations then it is your responsibility to make arrangements with the airline prior to your trip or make preparations to deal with the situation yourself. It's not the airline's responsibility to be prepared for every situation and every person who has unique needs if you, the person who is needing to be accommodated didn't do what you should have done in the first place, which is either 1. Prepare and plan your trip accordingly, or 2. You didn't contact the airline in advance or do your research to see if/how they will accommodate you.

I understand that sometimes an airline will promise something and not follow through, and then you have every right to be upset, but you can't expect an airline to cater to your every need if you didn't prepare for it or failed to tell them in advance. Don't count on an airline to accommodate you. They don't have to offer special meals if they don't want to. You're better off preparing accordingly or finding another way to travel or a different airline if you don't like it and have another option.

My heart goes out to those who have conditions that make life more difficult for them, but my point is that sometimes if you want something done right you have to do it yourself instead of relying on others, or in this case, an airline. I have a couple of friends with food allergies. They all recognize that it's not the airline's problem. They deal with it themselves.

Dominion301

Tue Aug 23, 2016 4:35 pm

TheFlyingDisk wrote:
Varsity1 wrote:
shufflemoomin wrote:

Airlines don't "keep" the special meals in stock at all - the meals will be ordered from the caterer whenever there is a request for it. So technically, it will only cost the airline when someone asks for that meal.

If Air Transat don't want to prepare special meals for those who require it, then they should give those people the option to have the cost of a meal deducted from their ticket.

Exactly, airlines don't make the meals themselves. TS' $ savings from this will be minimal. As someone who used to do commissary for a decent-sized airline, the price differential between the 'regular' and 'special' meals is negligible, about $1 per meal. The lost ticket sales from those with special meal needs now choosing to fly with other airlines that will accommodate them, will likely far outweigh any added cost of special meals. About the only real savings will be FAs will have a few extra minutes per flight on their hands by not needing to figure out who ordered what, but on a 3 to 10 hour flight, this won't make you any more productive.

Here's another angle to that, what about TS' own staff that have special dietary needs working said flights? Is management going to say to them 'Sorry, you're on your own now' or 'Suck it up and brown bag it'.

YXXMIKE

Tue Aug 23, 2016 4:39 pm

Given the blood bath which has been taking place on transatlantic flights from the UK to Canada it's no wonder that TS is going to try and lower costs. It may be a bit cold blooded but if you don't like it you can fly WS and pay for your pile of slop or just bring you own food like many people have suggested!

I actually commend TS for doing this; it keeps their level of service better than TS and I believe they include luggage on all of their flights already and is likely to lower some costs. This is the low hanging fruit for a charter operator and good to see them going for it. If you are gluten free (like my better half) or any other food allergy/religious requirement then you pack accordingly; which is something we always do and we both travel a lot (30 + flights for me this year, 16+ for her).

Aesma

Tue Aug 23, 2016 4:49 pm

I'm not allergic to anything, thanks I believe to a good exposition to lots of stuff as a kid (scouting, sailing, traveling, having a large family, etc.), but if I was, I'm not sure I would trust anybody I don't know with my food, anyway.
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

usxguy

Tue Aug 23, 2016 4:51 pm

for pete's sake, this is *Air Transat* we are talking about!

I also support jfklganyc - I'm just a hair older, but yes, no one in my educational years had food allergies or all these issues we have today. Then again, I grew up in the middle of the ritalin-years where parents just medicated us because we had too much sugar and didn't use that energy.

I sympathize with some people, but I think its getting to the breaking point. We stuff our bodies with unnatural foods full of chemicals that are *killing us* and causing some of these issues that LeCoq has. In the 80s, we changed from sugars to manufacture - based sugars. Remember the Coke blunders?? New Coke? Coke II... (and I shiver at the fact Crystal Pepsi is showing its face again). Food is killing us and causing all these problems.

But back to above -- if an airline can't accommodate a passenger's diet - then bring food with you or don't fly.
xx

Aeroflot777

Tue Aug 23, 2016 5:46 pm

LeCoqFrancais wrote:
You are the rudest, most self centered, ignorant and simply indifferent member I've seen.

That's a bit over the top there. A member stated his opinion, and in typical, recent A.net fashion the righteous members come out and attack. Everyone is entitled to an opinion, we are on a public forum. Your response post is not angelic either, so not sure name calling makes sense since you are just as guilty of what you are accusing him of.

Now, back on topic. There are thousands of allergies out there, and I'm not sure how airline meals can keep up with each, or whether they even should. Also, many various religions out there, in fact I can start a religion of my own tomorrow. I'll start praying to the morning dew on the grass at 5:55am everyday and prohibit members of said new religion from eating beans and spinach, just because. No medical reason necessary. I expect all airlines to accommodate me starting tomorrow. :roll:

A lot of our eating habits these days are by choice. Religious meals are a choice and if you choose to follow a certain religion then come prepared, don't expect airlines to offer you something. Medical allergies are a bit different, come in various severities and do require some extra care. But having 5+ choices for people is unrealistic. You never see this food prepared yourself, so how can you even be sure that it wasn't contaminated? If I had an allergy, I would be damn sure that I would bring my own meal, not even a question. One can easily bring enough food for him or herself on a 12 hour long-haul flight. We're talking ready-made options that don't require prep.

I'm sorry but I don't buy the whole "hotel" excuse. You buy a ticket, you know when you are traveling. Any sensible grown adult should be able to prepare and take care of themselves.

Aesma wrote:
I'm not allergic to anything..., but if I was, I'm not sure I would trust anybody I don't know with my food, anyway.

THIS.

hOMSaR

Tue Aug 23, 2016 6:52 pm

jfklganyc wrote:

At 34, I'm not that old.

So...let's see. You're 34, which means that in the mid-90s (when you first heard of a gluten allergy), you'd have been in middle school or maybe high school. Yep, definitely qualified to speak about the various ailments and allergies out there.

jfklganyc wrote:

Or, maybe in the time between your adolescence and adulthood, you became more aware of what was always out there.

You know what else has changed in the last 25 years? The way we communicate and find out information. I can almost guarantee you, if Air Transat made this announcement 25 years ago, you wouldn't have even known about it. You wouldn't have read someone else (who maybe lives halfway around the world) react to it, and you wouldn't have known you were supposed to be indignant about people who have these allergies you'd never heard of.

Your source of news would be the newspaper, the local TV news (on for 30 minutes, 3 or 4 times per day), or the national news (usually on at 6 and 10 pm...ish). Maybe you had cable, but even then, there wasn't really much in the way of constant news. So all these things you'd never heard of were simply due to lack of access to information.
The plural of Airbus is Airbuses. Airbii is not a word.
There is no 787-800, nor 787-900 or 747-800. It's 787-8, 787-9, and 747-8.
A321neoLR is also unnecessary. It's simply A321LR.
Airplanes don't have isles, they have aisles.

rbavfan

Tue Aug 23, 2016 8:05 pm

LeCoqFrancais wrote:
jfklganyc wrote:

I have numerous food allergies (beef, gluten, rice, tapioca, dairy and eggs), so I can NOT have the standard meal that is served on most flights. But it would be selfish of me to ask for a meal I can eat considering the airline is not charging me less then my neighbour that can eat the standard meal? I always bring my own onboard, but not everybody can. And also its not fare for us with allergies to pay the same fare as everyone and receive less.

Having grown up wth allergies to food I can buy most everything you listed except Beef even though the list sounds more life choice than allergy. I don't like Okra & chrizzo (Choice), Mushrooms can kill me (Allergy) Your wording seems to make his point.
Last edited by rbavfan on Tue Aug 23, 2016 8:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rbavfan

Tue Aug 23, 2016 8:18 pm

shufflemoomin wrote:

Ok so they can charge you extra for the "Gluten Free" items that cost up to double to buy & if only 1 passenger needs it they have to throw out the rest as it goes bad. I have meet lots of people that when you ask if the Doctor diagnosed them with a Gluten allergy I get a response of no my friends an expert and they told me its bad for you. It's only bad if your actually allergic otherwise it can cause other dietary issues as you do not get some nutrition items in your diet anymore. A DR. has to actually diagnose it!

As for people that say you can't have any nuts on a flight because my child is allergic to peanuts. Then no peanuts (Which are Legumes NOT nuts) but I can have my almonds brazil nuts, ect. If your worried about peanut allergies how about cutting all beans from your diet as they ARE legumes same general family.

Had a friend at my house bitching about someone had peanuts and her kid almost died from being in the same room. She has never noticed the nuts , including peanuts in our house in the bowl for visitors. Her kid was breathing fine until we noted it and then she went over to tell him breath harder honey till we get outside away from your allergy. Funny how that worked.

LeCoqFrancais
Topic Author

Tue Aug 23, 2016 8:24 pm

usxguy wrote:
We stuff our bodies with unnatural foods full of chemicals that are *killing us* and causing some of these issues that LeCoq has.

rbavfan wrote:
Having grown up wth allergies to food I can buy most everything you listed except Beef even though the list sounds more life choice than allergy. I don't Okra & chrizzo (Choice), Mushrooms can kill me (Allergy) Your wording seems to make his point.

Both of you must be Doctors, since both of you know what caused my health issues or know that I don't have some of the ones I listed. If you are not a Doctor or not in the medical field, I suggest you don't go saying that you know what causes a health issue or decide what allergies are real and which ones are not.
It turns out people allergic to dairy are also allergic to beef because of the bovine proteine (look it up on the internet).
And for the member saying that you can pack yourself food for 12 hour flight...sure I can pack myself food but can I pack myslef a decent meal like the one I would enjoy having and like the ones my neighbours are having? Sometimes its not possible. So, yes I can bring food, but its discriminatory to make me eat something of lesser value just because I'm allergic to food items.
Sébastien C. Tourillon

LeCoqFrancais
Topic Author

Tue Aug 23, 2016 8:37 pm

Considering how most of the members on this website scream murder and ask for blood when a airline removes a single olive from their salad, I'm very surprised and saddened that most of the posts in this thread are telling people like me either that we are liars or to suck it up, pay for a meal we can't have and bring food with us.
Sébastien C. Tourillon

Aesma

Tue Aug 23, 2016 8:52 pm

hOMSaR : so as kids of the 90's you think we were sheltered from other kids ?

Fact : at school I ate with hundreds of kids, all the same food (only exception, beef for muslim kids instead of pork, but served side by side, and no halal nonsense), no vegetarian option, no special this or that free meal.

Fact : as a scout I ate and prepared food with dozen of kids, we never even considered the possibility of avoiding some foodstuff.

As for gluten intolerance, if you think you will convince us it isn't a gigantic fad of the last few years, you need to try harder.
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

rbavfan

Tue Aug 23, 2016 8:59 pm

LeCoqFrancais wrote:
usxguy wrote:
We stuff our bodies with unnatural foods full of chemicals that are *killing us* and causing some of these issues that LeCoq has.

rbavfan wrote:
Having grown up wth allergies to food I can buy most everything you listed except Beef even though the list sounds more life choice than allergy. I don't Okra & chrizzo (Choice), Mushrooms can kill me (Allergy) Your wording seems to make his point.

Both of you must be Doctors, since both of you know what caused my health issues or know that I don't have some of the ones I listed. If you are not a Doctor or not in the medical field, I suggest you don't go saying that you know what causes a health issue or decide what allergies are real and which ones are not.
It turns out people allergic to dairy are also allergic to beef because of the bovine proteine (look it up on the internet).
And for the member saying that you can pack yourself food for 12 hour flight...sure I can pack myself food but can I pack myslef a decent meal like the one I would enjoy having and like the ones my neighbours are having? Sometimes its not possible. So, yes I can bring food, but its discriminatory to make me eat something of lesser value just because I'm allergic to food items.

Actually I have been a nurse and spent most of my early life in and out of hospitals. And yes I am trained in nutrition.

BTW was allergic to milk as a child. Turned out it was due to a protein that changes when milk is mixed with other things. Lots of foods go through changes when mixed or cooked. Others do not. Spent years not being allowed anything with milk & drinking soy. Back when soy was nasty & grainy.

Chick-fil-A uses purified peanut oil. When it goes through the purifying process it kills the protein that causes the allergic reaction to peanuts. Thats why people with peanut allergies can eat it. My friend son loves his Chick-fil-A. If you toss him a peanut or anything with peanut in it he will swell up and have problems breathing.

Can you pack yourself a decent meal as the person next to you. Yes you can if you cared to take the time and it will be better tasting and hopefully larger and more filling. The meals on planes are small & quit frankly suck. I have a carry on and it can fit what I need if I chose to pack my own meal. I would rather have SWA snack box at times than the hot meal from the airline that would get a restaurant shut down. As I did on one airline because all their options had mushrooms in the entree. I asked about it and was told well mushrooms are very flavorful. Told them thats nice, but when I quit breathing can you guarentee I'l make it to the first available airport. My EpiPen's would not have kept me alive for the 3 hour ETOPS diversion to a hospital.

Also discrimination is a word thats overused to death. So saying you having to eat what you see as a lesser value item than the person next to you is discrimination is insulting. Under that kind of comment we should all get the same meal as first class as we are all buying a ticket. If I get a cheaper/smaller meal than First class they are discriminating against you? Every airline, restaurant & public place should not have to go to far beyond what others get from them due to my disabilities. I have to work with them on what I really need as opposed to what I want. Same as my father does with his hearing problems. He does not have the right to make everyone in a restaurant to whisper so he can hear better any more than I have no right to make people not smoke on the patio just because I have lung damage & choose to sit on the patio. It's outside where the smokers have to be in most of the US. I have plates for my car & a placard for my disabilities. Note they are supposed to be for when you need them. Its not a I have it so it's my space. There are far to few spaces. If I am feeling good I do not park in the spaces as I don't always need it.

rbavfan

Tue Aug 23, 2016 9:01 pm

Aesma wrote:

Fact : at school I ate with hundreds of kids, all the same food (only exception, beef for muslim kids instead of pork, but served side by side, and no halal nonsense), no vegetarian option, no special this or that free meal.

Fact : as a scout I ate and prepared food with dozen of kids, we never even considered the possibility of avoiding some foodstuff.

As for gluten intolerance, if you think you will convince us it isn't a gigantic fad of the last few years, you need to try harder.

Agree. Mind you as a Scout we always made sure we had food we could all safely eat.

hOMSaR

Tue Aug 23, 2016 9:20 pm

Aesma wrote:

I'm not trying to convince anyone of anything. I'm merely stating that, as a kid (boy scout or not), you not having "heard of" stuff doesn't mean it didn't exist.
The plural of Airbus is Airbuses. Airbii is not a word.
There is no 787-800, nor 787-900 or 747-800. It's 787-8, 787-9, and 747-8.
A321neoLR is also unnecessary. It's simply A321LR.
Airplanes don't have isles, they have aisles.

Aeroflot777

Tue Aug 23, 2016 9:31 pm

LeCoqFrancais wrote:
sure I can pack myself food but can I pack myslef a decent meal like the one I would enjoy having and like the ones my neighbours are having?

We are all talking about standard, long-haul, Economy-class meals we all get, right? If so, then the answer to your question is an undeniable "Yes". Yes, you can pack a decent meal like the one your neighbor is 'enjoying'. In fact, I hope that you would pack something even better seeing as airline food quality is down in the dumpster compared with what you can even get at the post-security store at the airport while waiting for your long-haul flight.

For the amount of shock you seem to be having about fellow members not sharing your opinion over your multiple food allergies and airline not being sensitive to them, I'm equally shocked that you allow someone else prepare your food without your supervision. If in fact you actually have the multiple allergies you've listed. The nearest airport could be many hours away when you are flying high above the ocean somewhere... and have a reaction to a known allergy. Something that is easily preventable should you pack your own tasty meal.

usxguy

Tue Aug 23, 2016 10:09 pm

LeCoqFrancais, its a shame we can't block members.

I'm not going to justify my medical knowledge or associations on an airline website. You do NOT need to be a doctor to know what is and isn't killing us. However, I bet that your parents & doctors babied you to the point you take 20-30 pills a day.

I'm not about to tell my story here, its no one's business when we're talking Jet A and airplane types, but lets say I have not only survived but somehow got rid of my ailments. Medical proof. Not fiction. I've had my share of bone marrow drawn and its not fun. I'm highly normal/functional from a health perspective and my allergies are severely limited compared to when I was a toddler.

Travelers with specific dietary needs should plan and take care of themselves and not whine when an airline can't accommodate or provide a special need/meal. That's not what airlines are in business for, unless you are Aeroflot before 1989.
xx

OA412

Tue Aug 23, 2016 10:15 pm

I've never understood why so many people on this site cheer so loudly in favor of the airlines whenever a customer unfriendly change is implemented. This is Air Transat, so you don't exactly expect the world from them, but it's just good customer service to offer a special meal to those who have legitimate dietary restrictions, particularly since it doesn't exactly cost the airlines all that much more over the price of a standard meal. Yes they can pack their own food, but sometimes for circumstances outside the person's control, they can't do so. What about those who may have their food confiscated by security for whatever reason? Sure these things may not happen with any sort of regularity, but it's really not killing the airlines to offer certain special meals.
Aesma wrote:

Sure, the entire gluten intolerance thing is BS, but celiac disease is not.
Hughes Airwest - Top Banana In The West

LeCoqFrancais
Topic Author

Tue Aug 23, 2016 10:17 pm

For most people with food allergies, its not about if they can bring their food or not with them, its not about having a better meal then their neighbours, its about not feelling different then the others and feelling normal and not strange. If you start saying to someone that he can't eat your food because he has allergies and he has to bring his own food then that person will be reminded that he is not like everyone else and that he never will be, and most of us try and forget that.
usxguy wrote:
LeCoqFrancais, its a shame we can't block members.

I'm not going to justify my medical knowledge or associations on an airline website. You do NOT need to be a doctor to know what is and isn't killing us. However, I bet that your parents & doctors babied you to the point you take 20-30 pills a day.

I'm not about to tell my story here, its no one's business when we're talking Jet A and airplane types, but lets say I have not only survived but somehow got rid of my ailments. Medical proof. Not fiction. I've had my share of bone marrow drawn and its not fun. I'm highly normal/functional from a health perspective and my allergies are severely limited compared to when I was a toddler.

Travelers with specific dietary needs should plan and take care of themselves and not whine when an airline can't accommodate or provide a special need/meal. That's not what airlines are in business for, unless you are Aeroflot before 1989.

Option one, you tell me one way or another (by private message or via this thread) your story so I can believe you, option two, I simply don't believe you.
And as much as its not our place to know your private life, its not your place to judge how a kid was raised or too say that you know how someone was raised by reading 5-6 posts of 5 sentences max each on an aviation thread....
Sébastien C. Tourillon

LeCoqFrancais
Topic Author

Tue Aug 23, 2016 10:36 pm

And for your information usxguy, I take well over 40 pills a day, not to stay healty but simply to stay alive.
Sébastien C. Tourillon

airzona11

Tue Aug 23, 2016 11:23 pm

LeCoqFrancais wrote:
For most people with food allergies, its not about if they can bring their food or not with them, its not about having a better meal then their neighbours, its about not feelling different then the others and feelling normal and not strange. If you start saying to someone that he can't eat your food because he has allergies and he has to bring his own food then that person will be reminded that he is not like everyone else and that he never will be, and most of us try and forget that..

So if Air Transat is not your safe space, dont fly AirTransat. Maybe fly private and avoid all those people that make you "feel different."

Air Transat is in the business of making money, if this choice was as game changing as people on here are making it seem, they would not have done it. Load factors aren't going to go down. But if they do, I will eat my words.

Highcroft

Wed Aug 24, 2016 12:06 am

There are legit food allergies out there with peanut allergies probably being the most familiar to most people and the one with the clearest consequences for the person allergic. However, It seems like many of the trends in food lately center around a gross overstatement of food sensitivity rather than genuine allergies. Sensitivity, according to the Mayo Clinic, is you eat something and your body reactions but the reaction does not trigger a response in the immune system. An allergy, on the other hand does. It seems like people are more prone to highlight their food sensitivities and expect options that cater to that sensitivity (even though a sensitivity reaction would not like be medically harmful apart from digestive discomfort). Current science can't account very well for higher trends in food allergies but I would guess, along with overdiagnosis, that people highlighting their sensitivities (rather than actual allergies) is one part in that.

Now, as for food on airlines, they do not typically charge extra (and if any airlines do, I'd be curious to know) for special meals. This is a pattern despite, and I don't have production numbers to show this but I can surmise about relative production costs, the great likelihood that special meals do not enjoy the same economy of scale as the ingredients needed for the regular type meal. In theory, the special meal could cost more to produce (though we can debate economy of scale and savings from not having to buy meat and related things). This means that people who are receiving special meals are getting a special service that is subsidized by the rest of the passengers. Is that quite fair to everyone else? It sounds silly but it's really not.

I'm not saying this to diminish anyone's experience with food allergy but if there's a lack of willingness to recoup the costs for the special meals on either the airline side (by charging more) or the customer (by paying more) then it's no wonder that Air Transat has decided to do away with some special meals.

yoni

Wed Aug 24, 2016 12:55 am

Thanks for this, LeCoqFrancais. I totally agree with you. I guess TS is now adopting a low-cost service style. But it's quite ridiculous to keep on offering kosher meals and not the others. It's not consistent at all, unless the catering company is offering them for free.

The lack of empathy and the agressive tone of many A.netters when expressing their views is undoubtedly a daunting experience. It's so easy to do it behind a computer screen. That's one of the reasons I don't post comments on a regular basis. All the best.

IPFreely

Wed Aug 24, 2016 1:18 am

shufflemoomin wrote:
You think those people should pack enough food for an 8 hour flight and bring it from home, even though they're paying the same price as everyone else?

They have the option of flying any of a dozen different airlines. Air Transat is an airline, not a restaurant or a health food store. If they decide catering to every special meal for medical/allergy/religious/superstitious need imaginable isn't good business, that's their decision to make. People need to stop acting like they're entitled to a one-off custom meal because they bought a $200 long haul ticket on one of the lowest budget operators in the world.

If you want to spend the least amount of money possible to get from point A to point B and are willing to sit in steerage class and eat the same gruel as everyone else then Air Transat is for you. If not, there are plenty of full service airlines who will accomodate you.

OSUk1d

Wed Aug 24, 2016 2:34 am

LeCoqFrancais wrote:
Despite what you say at the top of your post, you show no sympathy what so ever too any one with religious beliefs or special need.

Why is it an airline's responsibility to cater to religious beliefs?

LeCoqFrancais wrote:
And even if I bring my own food, it does not mean its fare or normal that I do, considering I am paying for a meal I can not eat.

Maybe it's more expensive to cater to special needs and it would not be fair for you to not pay the cost and eat into the profit margin.

b747400erf

Wed Aug 24, 2016 5:15 am

jfklganyc wrote:

You get enjoyment out of being obnoxious on the internet. Congratulations.

b747400erf

Wed Aug 24, 2016 5:17 am

OSUk1d wrote:
LeCoqFrancais wrote:
Despite what you say at the top of your post, you show no sympathy what so ever too any one with religious beliefs or special need.

LeCoqFrancais wrote:
And even if I bring my own food, it does not mean its fare or normal that I do, considering I am paying for a meal I can not eat.

Maybe it's more expensive to cater to special needs and it would not be fair for you to not pay the cost and eat into the profit margin.

No one said it is an airlines responsibility, but if they are a service company, they should accommodate people that have different viewpoints and needs.

This is a cost cutting move of a desperate airline. And the only people applauding it besides bean counters are those that love to be obnoxious and can never put themselves in anyone's shoes. Basically a conservative.

Aeroflot777

Wed Aug 24, 2016 6:06 am

LeCoqFrancais wrote:
And for your information usxguy, I take well over 40 pills a day, not to stay healty but simply to stay alive.

LeCoqFrancais, respectfully I'm still not understanding your viewpoint. Living in San Francisco, I am friends and acquaintances with many people that claim food sensitivity and allergies. Some are medically backed and others are just outward exhibitionists of alternate lifestyles, to each his own. However, if you are on 40 (FORTY!?) pills a day, I feel for you and I hope that you do indeed get better and eventually find relief and cure to get off those pills. BUT, please don't tell me you are making a fuss over the airline meal that you don't prepare yourself. If you take that amount of pills to ensure your daily health stability, you should probably not be eating a lousy rubber chicken with mushrooms in a foil container heated up in a galley the size of a bathroom stall that has a high probability of cross-contaminating your food with something that might kill you.

yoni wrote:
The lack of empathy and the agressive tone of many A.netters when expressing their views is undoubtedly a daunting experience.

Opinions and viewpoints go two ways, my friend. And the aggressiveness here in this thread alone comes from both sides. You might not agree to something but you can't write it off as lack of empathy. In our world, people will never be on the same page, that's what makes us who we are. We discuss things together to learn and share our thoughts. But labeling someone as having lack of empathy is beyond necessary if they happen to not share your own opinion.

b747400erf wrote:
they should accommodate people that have different viewpoints and needs.

This is a cost cutting move of a desperate airline. And the only people applauding it besides bean counters are those that love to be obnoxious and can never put themselves in anyone's shoes. Basically a conservative.

So how many types people do they "have" to accommodate? Where is the line? This isn't a restaurant, but an airline, a mode of transit. A meal is something you get as a perk, they are not obligated to serve anything at all. In fact, as we already know, many low-cost carriers don't serve anything at all on long-haul. Food for purchase for everyone, right? Well if you need to purchase something on the flight, then you can easily purchase something on the ground in case you have a special circumstance to deal with. No harm done.

ASFlyer

Wed Aug 24, 2016 6:56 am

LeCoqFrancais wrote:
For most people with food allergies, its not about if they can bring their food or not with them, its not about having a better meal then their neighbours, its about not feelling different then the others and feelling normal and not strange. If you start saying to someone that he can't eat your food because he has allergies and he has to bring his own food then that person will be reminded that he is not like everyone else and that he never will be, and most of us try and forget that.

and yet, you would have no problem with a Flight Attendant singling you out in front of other passengers as they deliver your "special meal" to you. Frankly, I think it would be less conspicuous to just bring some food out of a bag you brought on board yourself.

These people are right, if you have special dietary requirements, find an airline that will suit your needs. If it means you have to pay more then that's the way it goes. OR, if you choose to fly an airline that isn't catering to your health needs then bring your own food. Stop complaining - there are choices. You seem to be enjoying victimhood.

yoni

Wed Aug 24, 2016 7:36 am

Aeroflot777 wrote:

Opinions and viewpoints go two ways, my friend. And the aggressiveness here in this thread alone comes from both sides. You might not agree to something but you can't write it off as lack of empathy. In our world, people will never be on the same page, that's what makes us who we are. We discuss things together to learn and share our thoughts. But labeling someone as having lack of empathy is beyond necessary if they happen to not share your own opinion.

I am afraid that we do not share the same definition for empathy. Empathy does not mean agreement, unless the word has a new meaning that I am not aware of. It's being sensitive to someone's experience or, in this case, health issues. No need to agree. Many comments were clearly insensitive. Even though I am not concerned with TS's change, I understand that some people with health issues are not happy about this change as they feel that they deserve the same service as any other clients for the price they paid, especially in a non-low-cost airline such as TS. I am not sure at all this move will improve their bottom line. If they want to survive along with AC rouge and WS, I think they need to review their business model, things they are not ready to do.

aerorobnz

Wed Aug 24, 2016 7:49 am

I hope more airlines go down this direction. or alternatively charge for special meal choices. They cost airlines a lot to maintain a special meal list and order customised flight requirements, and currently it doesn't get passed on. If it were me I would pay for a $20-25 meal if it came as a higher specification.
Flown to 147 Airports in 62 Countries on 83 Operators and counting. Wanderlust is like Syphilis, once you have the itch it's too late for treatment.

Aeroflot777

Wed Aug 24, 2016 7:50 am

yoni wrote:
I am afraid that we do not share the same definition for empathy. Empathy does not mean agreement, unless the word has a new meaning that I am not aware of. It's being sensitive to someone's experience or, in this case, health issues.

I'm well aware of what empathy means. As as I said before, just because a person has a different opinion and is not in agreement, does not mean he lacks empathy. We can feel for the poster, at least I sure can if he/she is taking 40 pills a day for a medical condition. And believe me, my life is not without medical problems. I could only wish I was able to take pills to alleviate a chronic condition. But I do not expect people and businesses around me to cater to my specific needs.

yoni wrote:
they deserve the same service as any other clients for the price they paid, especially in a non-low-cost airline such as TS.

Keyword... "same service". Air Transat will offer the same service to everyone. However if the "same service" doesn't equate to one's specific needs, alternate arrangements must be made.

The weird mushroom concoction and pudding that Austrian Airlines serves me on my countless flights sits horribly with me, not sure why. I make alternate arrangements since I know I can't have that meal and buy something at the store. Simple concept really.

yoni

Wed Aug 24, 2016 8:10 am

Aeroflot777 wrote:
yoni wrote:
I am afraid that we do not share the same definition for empathy. Empathy does not mean agreement, unless the word has a new meaning that I am not aware of. It's being sensitive to someone's experience or, in this case, health issues.

I'm well aware of what empathy means. As as I said before, just because a person has a different opinion and is not in agreement, does not mean he lacks empathy. We can feel for the poster, at least I sure can if he/she is taking 40 pills a day for a medical condition. And believe me, my life is not without medical problems. I could only wish I was able to take pills to alleviate a chronic condition. But I do not expect people and businesses around me to cater to my specific needs.

yoni wrote:
they deserve the same service as any other clients for the price they paid, especially in a non-low-cost airline such as TS.

Keyword... "same service". Air Transat will offer the same service to everyone. However if the "same service" doesn't equate to one's specific needs, alternate arrangements must be made.

The weird mushroom concoction and pudding that Austrian Airlines serves me on my countless flights sits horribly with me, not sure why. I make alternate arrangements since I know I can't have that meal and buy something at the store. Simple concept really.

Well you haven't read the comments....

Special meals do not mean that it will be much to the passenger's liking either. But at least, they have that option. As I said, TS should change their business model if they want to survive, not take symbolic measures that won't improve their bottom line.

OSUk1d

Wed Aug 24, 2016 10:53 am

b747400erf wrote:
OSUk1d wrote:
LeCoqFrancais wrote:

LeCoqFrancais wrote:

No one said it is an airlines responsibility, but if they are a service company, they should accommodate people that have different viewpoints and needs.

If they are a service company, they should provide whatever service they choose, and not need to be coerced by religious kooks and those slipping through the natural selection process.
And I'm not sure how eating habits became political, but I am the exact opposite of a conservative.

VSMUT

Wed Aug 24, 2016 11:19 am

My parents are allergic to wheat and milk, something that has involved frequent trips to the hospital from time to time. Neither them nor I have any issues with this, as onboard service can't really be taken for granted anymore - and the fact that all proper modern airports have a bunch of shops selling meals to bring onboard in the airport has pretty much made onboard and/or special meals unnecessary.

While I don't have any objections towards an airline deciding not to offer special meals anymore, I am however a bit bewildered by the specifics of this decision. They say they are going to offer a selection of "hot sandwiches".

Actual allergy or not, gluten is one of the most widespread and fastest growing allergies out there. I know several airlines (primarily charter airlines) that are making a change towards only offering gluten (and milk) free meals only, often going organic at the same time. The alternatives have never been more widespread, cheap and of a better quality. The stone-age food craze has opened up even more alternatives. Even McDonalds has begun offering gluten free burger buns! It is obvious that many people want it, regardless of allergies or not. Surely they could have gone for something else (and more interesting too), other than completely normal sandwiches? :)

jfklganyc wrote:

The food we eat has changed, especially processed food. Manufacturers constantly try to lower the price of their products by filling them with cheap alternatives such as wheat-flour and milk products. Try living as a gluten and milk allergic for just one day. Every single time you buy a product you need to squint through the miniscule text on the rear of the packaging, to read the ingredients list.

Marinated meat? Nope, typically contains gluten of some kind.
A tasty sandwich? Better make sure they didn't use butter.
Sausages? The manufacturer decided to go cheap and mixed the meat with flour.
All those E-numbers? Some of them might contain gluten products.
Potato chips/crisps? Only the plain sea salt variants, and no dips.
Co-worker brought a cake to celebrate his/her birthday? Not for you, you will just have to make do with an apple. Every single ******* time.

It's not exactly an easy or convenient way to live, and I wouldn't have done it if I had a choice ;) Thankfully, things are changing for the better where I am living.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos