Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

 
User avatar
KTPAFlyer
Topic Author
Posts: 764
Joined: Sat Oct 10, 2015 8:08 pm

Should PIA restart Houston?

Tue Aug 23, 2016 8:28 pm

Hello A.net,

With the recent news of the new Islamabad Airport, the new A330 premium to LHR, the selling of A310's, and Boeings pitch of 787's to PIA, particularly the latter, I was wondering that if they did order 787's, where would they fly them? The obvious elephant in the room is IAH which has easily the best chance of any airport in the US. It is an obvious hole missing in their global network, because it has the largest US-PK community outside of NY lives in Houston. Is this a viable route? What are your thoughts? If PIA buys 787's as part of this buying/selling spree, they have to fly them somewhere and I imagine this has to be pretty high up on the list as it would open up an opportunity to serve IAH profitably, which I imagine wasn't possible before. All contributations appreciated, thank you.
 
IAHWorldflyer
Posts: 887
Joined: Mon Feb 06, 2012 7:22 pm

Re: Should PIA restart Houston?

Tue Aug 23, 2016 8:49 pm

You're talking about a very long ( 16+ hours) flight to serve mostly VFR taffic. VFR traffic is usually low yield. PIA really doesn't offer many connections on their end excepting the Pakistani domestic market. Then there is the fallout in oil prices which means that premium travel demand anywhere out of IAH is suffering. For these reasons, I don't see PIA re-launching a flight to IAH anytime soon. VFR traffic can and does use QR and EK with arguably a better product.
 
NichCage
Posts: 916
Joined: Wed Jun 22, 2016 6:43 pm

Re: Should PIA restart Houston?

Tue Aug 23, 2016 8:54 pm

Emirates and Qatar Airways are two airlines that have made quite a scene in Pakistan. PIA if I recall struggles to be profitable, and re-launching a direct flight from Pakistan to Houston will just be a loss for the airline.
 
klakzky123
Posts: 689
Joined: Mon Jul 04, 2016 4:05 am

Re: Should PIA restart Houston?

Tue Aug 23, 2016 9:10 pm

I'm not sure how they could profitably run that route. I realize a direct flight would be nice but Indians and Pakistanis are incredibly price conscious and I suspect Qatar and Emirates will still win on price. Plus Turkish Airways has some competitive prices that PIA would have to deal with.

IAH is very well served at this point. When PIA first entered the market (I think in 2005 or 2006), they were dealing with a completely different market with far smaller levels of capacity to Pakistan. I dont think they stand a chance today, even with a direct flight.
 
User avatar
KTPAFlyer
Topic Author
Posts: 764
Joined: Sat Oct 10, 2015 8:08 pm

Re: Should PIA restart Houston?

Tue Aug 23, 2016 9:11 pm

IAHWorldflyer wrote:
You're talking about a very long ( 16+ hours) flight to serve mostly VFR taffic. VFR traffic is usually low yield. PIA really doesn't offer many connections on their end excepting the Pakistani domestic market. Then there is the fallout in oil prices which means that premium travel demand anywhere out of IAH is suffering. For these reasons, I don't see PIA re-launching a flight to IAH anytime soon. VFR traffic can and does use QR and EK with arguably a better product.


The product is better on EK and QR, but doesn't a nonstop beat it every time? I believe there was a similar discussion in the UA EWR-DEL thread, about how United can make that nonstop work, even against fierce competition from the ME3 on top of an inferior product for exactly this reason.
 
AAIL86
Posts: 466
Joined: Wed Feb 09, 2011 6:00 am

Re: Should PIA restart Houston?

Tue Aug 23, 2016 9:24 pm

I live in Houston and would welcome any new carrier here. That being said - lets chalk this one up to "extremely unlikely".
EK just downgraded to 77W and it looks like that is going to stick for the foreseeable future.
If IAH does get another carrier from the middle east, I'd assume EY has the best shot of being it.
" Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness ... Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime. ” - Mark Twain, 1869
 
LAXdude1023
Posts: 6214
Joined: Thu Sep 07, 2006 3:16 pm

Re: Should PIA restart Houston?

Tue Aug 23, 2016 9:59 pm

KTPAFlyer wrote:
IAHWorldflyer wrote:
You're talking about a very long ( 16+ hours) flight to serve mostly VFR taffic. VFR traffic is usually low yield. PIA really doesn't offer many connections on their end excepting the Pakistani domestic market. Then there is the fallout in oil prices which means that premium travel demand anywhere out of IAH is suffering. For these reasons, I don't see PIA re-launching a flight to IAH anytime soon. VFR traffic can and does use QR and EK with arguably a better product.


The product is better on EK and QR, but doesn't a nonstop beat it every time? I believe there was a similar discussion in the UA EWR-DEL thread, about how United can make that nonstop work, even against fierce competition from the ME3 on top of an inferior product for exactly this reason.


The two routes aren't even remotely comparable. NYC-DEL is a MASSIVE market. IAH-Pakistan is about 10% as large. That's all of Pakistan, not just one city.

It would be a massive failure. It wont happen. If VFR drove routes, MSP-Mogadishu would have been launched years ago.
FOR THE LOVE OF GOD BRING BACK THE PAYWALL!!!!
 
KaiTak747
Posts: 347
Joined: Thu Aug 16, 2012 11:08 pm

Re: Should PIA restart Houston?

Tue Aug 23, 2016 10:23 pm

A route of this length with trash yields can only be a disaster. Also, bare in mind that for those outside of Karachi (particularly in Islamabad and Lahore) a connection would be required anyway so flying PIA to IAH would be no advantage over the ME3 + Turkish.

Are PIA even allowed to operate to the US these days? Is Pakistan CAA Category 1?
 
KaiTak747
Posts: 347
Joined: Thu Aug 16, 2012 11:08 pm

Re: Should PIA restart Houston?

Tue Aug 23, 2016 10:25 pm

Just checked - Pakistan is category 1 so I would assume that service to the US would be possible if they don't already fly there
 
User avatar
787fan8
Posts: 517
Joined: Thu May 01, 2014 8:05 pm

Re: Should PIA restart Houston?

Tue Aug 23, 2016 11:01 pm

One word: No. The demand is not there, and who in their righteous mind who want to travel to Pakistan anyway.
Atlanta is an incredibly cool city - Andrew Lincoln

Future Auburn graduate
 
User avatar
LatAmFlyer
Posts: 143
Joined: Thu Jul 10, 2014 1:48 pm

Re: Should PIA restart Houston?

Wed Aug 24, 2016 5:26 am

787fan8 wrote:
One word: No. The demand is not there, and who in their righteous mind who want to travel to Pakistan anyway.


Humanitarians, mountain trekkers, photographers, UN officials, explorers, journalists and merchants to name a few. I went to Karachi last year to perform in a classical concert (I am a pianist), and I would do it again.
 
RohanDXB
Posts: 111
Joined: Thu Jul 02, 2015 8:26 am

Re: Should PIA restart Houston?

Wed Aug 24, 2016 5:47 am

Could this not be compared to AI's SFO-DEL route? Or is there such a large difference in yields between those flying from SFO vs those from IAH.
Apparently the route is quite profitable for AI with passengers willing to accept the drop in quality (vs the options) for a non-stop flight.

Ro
 
User avatar
Ytraveller
Posts: 1287
Joined: Tue Jul 09, 2013 3:47 pm

Re: Should PIA restart Houston?

Wed Aug 24, 2016 6:25 am

KaiTak747 wrote:
Just checked - Pakistan is category 1 so I would assume that service to the US would be possible if they don't already fly there

They already fly nonstop to JFK (and YYZ) from Pakistan and used to fly to ORD via BCN.
 
User001
Posts: 1131
Joined: Sun Jun 19, 2016 2:18 pm

Re: Should PIA restart Houston?

Wed Aug 24, 2016 7:20 am

PIA don't and cannot fly direct to the USA. The JFK flights are required to stop at Manchester on the outbound to have a secondary security check before it can continue to the USA.

It does fly direct back from JFK to Pakistan, however.

The Toronto flights are permitted to fly direct there and back and do so.
 
hohd
Posts: 948
Joined: Sat May 17, 2008 1:03 am

Re: Should PIA restart Houston?

Wed Aug 24, 2016 1:54 pm

LatAmFlyer wrote:
787fan8 wrote:
One word: No. The demand is not there, and who in their righteous mind who want to travel to Pakistan anyway.


Humanitarians, mountain trekkers, photographers, UN officials, explorers, journalists and merchants to name a few. I went to Karachi last year to perform in a classical concert (I am a pianist), and I would do it again.


All these groups you mentioned still would amount to not much traffic. Bulk of traffic to Pakistan is VFR and they would choose PIA only if it is price competitive. The last time they flew to IAH, it was a disaster.
 
thomasphoto60
Posts: 3891
Joined: Thu Jan 27, 2000 1:04 pm

Re: Should PIA restart Houston?

Wed Aug 24, 2016 2:45 pm

Yeah, I concur with overall consensus, never mind the fact that TK, EK and QR would "eat their lunch".
"Show me the Braniffs"
 
User avatar
CanadaFair
Posts: 1120
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2016 5:22 pm

Re: Should PIA restart Houston?

Wed Aug 24, 2016 2:45 pm

Ytraveller wrote:
KaiTak747 wrote:
Just checked - Pakistan is category 1 so I would assume that service to the US would be possible if they don't already fly there

They already fly nonstop to JFK (and YYZ) from Pakistan and used to fly to ORD via BCN.


ORD was also done via Birmingham and then Manchester previously with A310..

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos