Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

yvphx
Topic Author

PHX TSA detains 9 year old boy for pacemaker

Wed Aug 24, 2016 1:49 am

This story is very disheartening. The boy requested alternate screening, but went thru a lengthy inspection process. Missed their flight, and had to wait 15 hours for the next one.

When will TSA be accountable for their actions? This behavior needs to stop.

My personal favorite line, was that the TSA has stopped many children terrorists with bombs implanted inside of them selves.

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/tsa ... -1.2762908
Last edited by qf789 on Thu Aug 25, 2016 2:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Spelling mistake in title

OSUk1d

Re: PHX TSA detains 9 year oly boy for pacemaker

Wed Aug 24, 2016 2:18 am

yvphx wrote:

When will TSA be accountable for their actions? This behavior needs to stop.

When will passengers be accountable for exaggerating, embellishing and completely making things up?
This lady turned "TSA is reviewing Saturday’s incident and working to contact the family" into “The representative said ‘We will find you and apologize,’ so clearly she twists things.
Throwing in that airport police have tasers and guns is clearly meant to sensationalize. Police everywhere have these things.
She is looking for attention. People are crazy, and the general public is not that smart. They also love to assume things they have no actual clue and state it as fact.

BobPatterson

Wed Aug 24, 2016 2:42 am

I guess it would be too simple to expect TSA to give the boy and his parents photo-ID cards allowing them automatic passes around screening equipment.
Facts are fragile things. Treat them with care. Sources are important. Alternative facts do not exist.

LatAmFlyer

Wed Aug 24, 2016 4:07 am

kabq737

Wed Aug 24, 2016 5:03 am

Even if the story is stretched by the media it has become clear that the TSA has many many problems. They need to either get their act together or get out of our airports so that we can get some qualified security agencies in.
Been on: 320, 321, 333, 733, 73G, 738, 739, 744, 752, 763, 764, 772, 789, C208, CR7, CR9, BE20, MD83, MD88, MD90, E70, E75, E90, TRIM
Flown: SEEKER, C150M C172N, C172R, C172S, C182RG, DA40, PA-46

deltal1011man

Wed Aug 24, 2016 7:27 am

kabq737 wrote:
Even if the story is stretched by the media it has become clear that the TSA has many many problems. They need to either get their act together or get out of our airports so that we can get some qualified security agencies in.

who is going to pay for it?

A few airports have private companies and they aren't any better than the TSA.

kabq737

Wed Aug 24, 2016 5:18 pm

deltal1011man wrote:
kabq737 wrote:

My experience at SFO with the private contractor has been FAR superior to my experiences at other airports who use TSA.

In terms of who pays that is an interesting question. Does anybody know how much it would cost to run a checkpoint at say KPHX? If it's not significant in the grand scheme of things residents could vote on if they would like to pay an extra small tax to pay for better security. Just an idea. Not sure if it would work but we have so many TSA problems now I don't see any reason we can't at least discuss alternatives.
Been on: 320, 321, 333, 733, 73G, 738, 739, 744, 752, 763, 764, 772, 789, C208, CR7, CR9, BE20, MD83, MD88, MD90, E70, E75, E90, TRIM
Flown: SEEKER, C150M C172N, C172R, C172S, C182RG, DA40, PA-46

DTWPurserBoy

Wed Aug 24, 2016 5:29 pm

How quickly we forget. Prior to 9/11 all airport screenings were done by private contractors. Many were rude, had limited training and from what I could see very little in the way of social skills. People used to joke that these companies took the people that McDonald's turned down. The establishment of TSA was seen as a breakthrough.

I have the TSA-PreScreen clearance and it shows as such on my boarding pass. However, every single time I fly when I tell the screeners that I had both hips replaced with titanium implants, I get hauled off for a "special screening." One was so thorough in ATL that if I were not already married this guy and I would have to be as I had no secrets from him. I have got to figure out a way that TSA stops this time-wasting, embarrassing "searches" just because of a medical implant. They clearly show up on the type of screener where you raise your hands above your head and the machine moves around you.
Qualified on Concorde/B707/B720/B727/B737/B747/B757/B767/B777/DC-8/DC-9/DC-10/A319/A320/A330/MD-88-90

readytotaxi

Wed Aug 24, 2016 5:37 pm

kabq737 wrote:
deltal1011man wrote:
kabq737 wrote:

My experience at SFO with the private contractor has been FAR superior to my experiences at other airports who use TSA.

I am off to SFO shortly, did not know they had a private company doing the chek, look forward to the experience.
you don't get a second chance to make a first impression!
Growing older, but not up.

ikramerica

Wed Aug 24, 2016 11:53 pm

The TSA rules say that children should not be scrutinized or detained. Every time it happens it's a violation of the law. There has never been a child used as a bomb in the USA and until that happens, harassing children is simply a step at making them more accepting of a police state.
Of all the things to worry about... the Wookie has no pants.

ikramerica

Wed Aug 24, 2016 11:56 pm

DTWPurserBoy wrote:
How quickly we forget. Prior to 9/11 all airport screenings were done by private contractors. Many were rude, had limited training and from what I could see very little in the way of social skills. People used to joke that these companies took the people that McDonald's turned down. The establishment of TSA was seen as a breakthrough.

I have the TSA-PreScreen clearance and it shows as such on my boarding pass. However, every single time I fly when I tell the screeners that I had both hips replaced with titanium implants, I get hauled off for a "special screening." One was so thorough in ATL that if I were not already married this guy and I would have to be as I had no secrets from him. I have got to figure out a way that TSA stops this time-wasting, embarrassing "searches" just because of a medical implant. They clearly show up on the type of screener where you raise your hands above your head and the machine moves around you.

The answer was better oversight, standards and training. What we got was the same people rehired as government employees.
Of all the things to worry about... the Wookie has no pants.

DiamondFlyer

Thu Aug 25, 2016 12:10 am

kabq737 wrote:

Exactly. While I've never been thru SFO since 9/11, I can say that the other airports I've been to that are privatized are much better to deal with. MCI, ROC, FSD all come to mind as places that are so much easier to deal with, compared to a similarly sized airport with TSA.
From my cold, dead hands

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos