Aptivaboy
Topic Author

SNA and the 737MAX

Wed Aug 24, 2016 9:30 pm

Good afternoon,

Please indulge me Santa Ana/John Wayne Airport fantasy. With the eventual coming of the 737MAX, I'm wondering if there are any plans already made public for new routes of of SNA using the MAX? A lot of us in Orange County have a recurring fantasy of flying transcon nonstop out of SNA, which is much more convenient than driving up to the nightmare that is LAX. Or, of seeing SNA - Hawaii flights like Aloha once did.

I'm just wondering if Southwest or any of the other announced 737MAX customers have said anything regarding MAX ops out of SNA, or indeed if there is any informed speculation on this topic.

Many thanks,

Bob

TWA772LR

Re: SNA and the 737MAX

Wed Aug 24, 2016 10:33 pm

SNA already has TCON service. UA (through CO) has been serving SNA-EWR for almost 2 decades now as well as DL to ATL. Once Southwest rolls out their new res system, I can see SNA-Hawaii returning, although I'm not sure how high it will be on their to-do list. Keep in mind West Coast to Hawaii is hyper competitive with most major US carriers flying in that market, it's a lot harder than breaking into the Caribbean market.
When wasn't America great?

The thoughts and opinions shared under this username are mine and are not influenced by my employer.

gregn21

Wed Aug 24, 2016 11:21 pm

I can see AA or DL doing SNA-JFK, but not with the MAX. I do think that WN could possibly look into routes like SNA-BWI, SNA-MCO, SNA-HNL, SNA-OGG with the MAX though.

Sancho99504

Thu Aug 25, 2016 7:05 am

TWA772LR wrote:
SNA already has TCON service. UA (through CO) has been serving SNA-EWR for almost 2 decades now as well as DL to ATL. Once Southwest rolls out their new res system, I can see SNA-Hawaii returning, although I'm not sure how high it will be on their to-do list. Keep in mind West Coast to Hawaii is hyper competitive with most major US carriers flying in that market, it's a lot harder than breaking into the Caribbean market.

UA uses the 73G to EWR and 752 before 73G while DL uses 752 to ATL. I think the MAX 8 will allow new transcons to be served from SNA with a meaningful load, more profitably than a 73G or 757. Places like BOS, JFK, PHL, IAD, BWI, RDU, MIA......
kill 'em all and let God sort 'em out-USMC

deltal1011man

Thu Aug 25, 2016 7:13 am

gregn21 wrote:
I can see AA or DL doing SNA-JFK, but not with the MAX. I do think that WN could possibly look into routes like SNA-BWI, SNA-MCO, SNA-HNL, SNA-OGG with the MAX though.

Pretty sure DL tried JFK-SNA (after moving CVG-SNA to DTW-SNA then to JFK-SNA and finally LAS-SNA and then gave up the slot.)

9w748capt

Thu Aug 25, 2016 4:17 pm

This is off topic, but can the A321 operate normally at SNA? Reason I ask is we fly into SNA all the time but AA only flies the 738 from DFW. Would love to see the new A321 on this route - I do vaguely recall reading that SNA's runway is too short for the 321 though?

32andBelow

Thu Aug 25, 2016 4:37 pm

gregn21 wrote:

Why not AS?

ucdtim17

Thu Aug 25, 2016 5:13 pm

32andBelow wrote:
gregn21 wrote:

Why not AS?

I'm sure they would be first to start Hawaii service. I'm surprised they haven't found a way to make it work with current 738s, or that it's not worth their while to get ETOPS 73Gs they could use on this and other Hawaii routes on slower days/seasons
Last edited by ucdtim17 on Thu Aug 25, 2016 5:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DocLightning

Thu Aug 25, 2016 5:18 pm

9w748capt wrote:
This is off topic, but can the A321 operate normally at SNA?

I believe so, just as the 752 can. It's the 739 that gets into difficulty because of the short MLG.
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

FriscoHeavy

Thu Aug 25, 2016 6:04 pm

DocLightning wrote:
9w748capt wrote:
This is off topic, but can the A321 operate normally at SNA?

I believe so, just as the 752 can. It's the 739 that gets into difficulty because of the short MLG.

The A321 would struggle with flights longer than a few hours - Transcon would not work on the A321. It does not have the same "get up and go" as the 752.
Whatever

Sancho99504

Thu Aug 25, 2016 7:04 pm

The A321 as it is right now, could do SEA-DFW, IAH, AUS, easily. ORD, DTW, ATL would be pushing it without being weight restricted.
kill 'em all and let God sort 'em out-USMC

Aptivaboy
Topic Author

Thu Aug 25, 2016 7:52 pm

I'm sure they would be first to start Hawaii service. I'm surprised they haven't found a way to make it work with current 738s, or that it's not worth their while to get ETOPS 73Gs they could use on this and other Hawaii routes on slower days/seasons

Just my view, but I believe Southwest will start Hawaii ops when they can also fly at least some interisland. Even the odd Honolulu - Kahalui/Hilo/Lihue run would make things quite interesting for Hawaiian, and it would allow Southwest to move more passengers without losing them to Hawaiian interisland ops. I could see existing 737s (engines permitting) doing the interisland stuff and the MAX doing the west coast to Hawaii runs.

gmcc

Thu Aug 25, 2016 7:55 pm

ucdtim17 wrote:
32andBelow wrote:
gregn21 wrote:

Why not AS?

If I remember last time this came up I think EACOAS said that the 738 takes a pretty large seat block penalty to make ETOPS work out of SNA. The 73G would be the plane to make it work but it think the costs to have the AS 73Gs ETOPSed was prohibitive.

They might try it with the MAX but I don't think it will be too high on anyone's list as their are probably better places to fly the MAX.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos