Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

GRJGeorge

Re: Major Airports that changed names to honor politicians

Sat Aug 27, 2016 10:08 am

JNB springs immediately to mind (Smuts -> Tambo).

Of course this didn't happen directly, it was first changed from Jan Smuts to Johannesburg International and then later on to OR Tambo.
All South African airports were changed from their political names to the city names, so far only JNB and BFN have changed again to another politial figure (BFN to Bram Fischer), and then you had Durban International which were decommissioned and a new airport built which became King Shaka International (not necessarily a political figure)

DoktorR

Sat Aug 27, 2016 10:13 am

CCS/SVMI Aeropuerto Internacional Simón Bolívar. War hero. Unfortunately CCS is no more a major airport though.

OzarkD9S

Sat Aug 27, 2016 12:09 pm

coldhoist wrote:
neutronstar73 wrote:

jfklganyc wrote:
I imagine it is a near certainty that in the next decade ORD or MDW will be renamed for the nations first black president.

Much to the chagrin of some a.netters, if I was a betting man, I would bet on ORD. haha

Given Chicago has a huge black population, Obama is from there, his library is going there, and recent unrest and racial tensions in the city (I think it is now the most dangerous large city in US) this will be a nice nod to the community aimed at improving relationships.

It would be quite appropriate to rename ORD in honor of President Obama, I think. Renaming Midway (no disrespect to Midway, but) would not be appropriate since I think that ORD is an international airport, and renaming an international gateway to America after its first African American President is the best way to honor that distinction.

Midway IS an international airport. It has flights from Canada and Mexico. Renaming either airport after Obama was be wrong. Midway was named to honor the Battle of Midway in WWII and O'Hare was named to honor Butch O"Hare, a naval aviator in WWII.
Since Obama never served in the military, renaming one of these airports after him was dishonor the memory of those who fought in WWII.
If they wanted to add his name at the end of Midway or O'hare, that might be OK, but do not name either airport will just his name.

It could be argued that Obama (and every President) served in the military, in the top job: Commander-In-Chief. Splitting hairs I know.
Next up: STL DEN PSP DEN STL

coolian2

Sat Aug 27, 2016 12:14 pm

HGL wrote:
So far we have managed to avoid the trend in Australia as far as commercial/ civil airports are concerned. Sydney Airport in 1936 was renamed after Australian aviation pioneer Sir Charles Kingsford Smith but all other gateway city airports are named after the city they serve or the location they are in. For example, Melbourne International Airport is also known as Tullamarine.

There are some RAAF bases named after politicians though. Curtin, near Derby in Western Australia is named after the Second World War Prime Minister John Curtin, while the RAAF Base Fairbairn (adjacent to Canberra Airport) is named after a Minister for Air and Civil Aviation, James Fairbairn.

Mind you, it's hard to say that seriously with the Harold Holt Submarine Base...
Q300/ATR72-600/737-200/-300/-400/-700/-800/A320/767-200/-300/757-200/777-300ER/
747-200/-300/-400/ER/A340-300/A380-800/MD-83/-88/CRJ-700/-900

jfklganyc

Sat Aug 27, 2016 12:17 pm

coolian2 wrote:
a380787 wrote:
I wonder if they'll name an airport after Obama (likely event). There were online petition/wishful-thinking about renaming MDW after him.

Barack Hussein Obama Midway Airport?

I have no issues there, but good luck getting it by the wingnuts.

What wingnuts? It is solidly-blue, union strong, Obama home, Chicago.

20 bucks...You will take the Blue Line to Obama International during the Hillary Presidency. :)

klm617

Sat Aug 27, 2016 1:06 pm

ATL Maynard Jackson.
DET Coleman Young
the truth does matter, guys. too bad it's often quite subjective. the truth is beyond the mere facts and figures. it's beyond good and bad, right and wrong...

WIederling

Sat Aug 27, 2016 1:10 pm

SQ22 wrote:
Once it is opened Germany has BER - Willy Brandt, as well as MUC - Franz Josef Strauss,

HAM/EDDH :: Helmut Schmidt .
Murphy is an optimist

rocketPower

Sat Aug 27, 2016 1:29 pm

LaGuardia was named after the 99th mayor of New York City in 1953.
rocketPower

Life is about enjoying being uncomfortable. If you're complacent, something is wrong!

sotnas7

Sat Aug 27, 2016 1:50 pm

The two main airports in Portugal:

OPO - Francisco de Sá Carneiro Airport
and very recently
LIS - Lisbon Humberto Delgado Airport

jelpee
Head Screener

Sat Aug 27, 2016 2:34 pm

CMB (Colombo, Sri Lanka): Bandaranaike International Airport
DEL (New Delhi, India): Indira Gandhi International Airport
Interestingly, both Bandaranaike and Gandhi were women Prime Ministers of their respective countries although CMB was named for the husband of Mrs. B who was assassinated in the 1960's.
Airliners.net Crew - Photo Screener

aviationaware

Sat Aug 27, 2016 2:47 pm

Stripping either Midway or O'hare of its name to pander to Obama would be an extraordinary dumb thing to do; and very disrespectful to their current namesakes. No hero should have to yield to a mediocre President with next to no major achievement in office.

Rockford doesn't have a name yet, that they can name after him.

vpat48

Sat Aug 27, 2016 8:49 pm

HYD - Rajiv Gandhi International Airport

Named for an ex prime minister of India

trintocan

Sat Aug 27, 2016 9:25 pm

The most recent such change in the Caribbean would be TAB, which went from Crown Point International Airport to Arthur Napoleon Raymond Robinson International Airport in 2011. ANR Robinson, born in Castara in Tobago, was the only person to hold the posts of Chief Secretary of the Tobago House of Assembly, Prime Minister and President of the Republic of Trinidad & Tobago at various times in his political career (THA 1980-1986, PM 1986-1991, President 1997-2003). He died in 2014. Some other nearby airports which changed names included GND (Point Salines to Maurice Bishop Int'l, after the former Grenadian Prime Minister of 1979-1983), GEO (Timehri to Cheddi Jagan Int'l for the former President of Guyana Dr Cheddi Jagan (1992-1997)) and SVD (Vigie Airport to E.T. Joshua Airport, after the first Chief Minister of St Vincent and the Grenadines (1956-1967)).

Trintocan.
Hop to it, fly for life!

Gr8Circle

Sat Aug 27, 2016 11:04 pm

I think MRU (Mauritius) is also named after one of their former PMs.....

IPFreely

Sat Aug 27, 2016 11:16 pm

B727skyguy wrote:
I have always found it ironic that the government renamed an airport after the president who threw the entire aviation industry into complete chaos in 1981 by firing all of the air traffic controllers.

Actually, the aviation industry was thrown into chaos on August 3 when 90% of the air traffic controllers failed to show up for work.

They weren't "fired" until two days later. And while it has become commonplace to refer to the event as a firing, it was actually a simple matter of enforcing the law. The law was -- and is --quite clear. Controllers were violating the law and their own oath by striking. And the consequences of violating the law and their own oath was forfeiting their job.

United1

Sat Aug 27, 2016 11:26 pm

enilria wrote:
It's basically every airport

...SFO and DEN might be a notable exceptions.
I know the voices in my head aren't real but sometimes their ideas are just awesome!!!

Viscount724

Sun Aug 28, 2016 12:35 am

bmacleod wrote:
In Canada at least 3 major airports have been given names of former politicians.

YUL - Montreal Dorval became Pierre Elliot Trudeau International Airport.
YHZ - Halifax International became Robert L. Stanfield International Airport
YYZ- Toronto International became Lester B Pearson International Airport

Most (except YWG) not in the "major" category but also:

YWG - Winnipeg James Armstrong Richardson International Airport (former federal member of parliament/cabinet minister and Winnipeg businessman)
YHM - John C. Munro Hamilton International Airport (former federal member of parliament/cabinet minister)
YXE - Saskatoon John G. Diefenbaker International Airport (Prime Minister 1957-1963)
YXY - Erik Nielsen Whitehorse International Airport (longtime federal member of parliament/cabinet minister representing the Yukon, and brother of late Hollywood actor Leslie Nielsen of "Naked Gun" and "Airplane!" movie fame..."I am serious, and don't call me Shirley.")
YTS - Timmins/Victor M. Power Airport (former mayor of Timmins, Ontario)

YYZflyboy

Sun Aug 28, 2016 1:22 am

What about TPE? For a while, it was named Chiang Kai-Shek International Airport!

Prinair

Sun Aug 28, 2016 1:47 am

IPFreely wrote:
O'Hare (ORD) received its code from it's original name which was Orchard Field. It was renamed O'Hare in honor of Edward O'Hare, s US Navy pilot who won the Congrssional Medal of Honor in World War 2.

Removing the name of a legitimate war hero and replacing it with the name of a politician would be a disgrace.

Especially if named after a presidential failure such as Obama.
PRINAIR - Puerto Rico International Airlines

IPFreely

Sun Aug 28, 2016 1:58 am

Prinair wrote:

Especially if named after a presidential failure such as Obama.

That's why naming the 3rd Chicago airport in Peotone after Barack "you didn't build that" Obama would be perfect.

notconcerned

Sun Aug 28, 2016 2:10 am

YYZflyboy wrote:
What about TPE? For a while, it was named Chiang Kai-Shek International Airport!

TPE did a reversal, from Chiang Kai-Shek International Airport to Taiwan Taoyuan International Airport.

enilria wrote:
It's basically every airport

Airports in China, Japan, Korea, Taiwan, Hong Kong, Singapore don't have airports named after any individuals. I'm not aware of any in Thailand or Vietnam either.

Ernie707

Sun Aug 28, 2016 2:13 am

most of the airports in Mexico are named after politicians or military

Viscount724

Sun Aug 28, 2016 2:22 am

kgaiflyer wrote:
euroflyer wrote:
EWRandMDW wrote:
Let's not forget Ronald Reagan Washington National Airport (DCA)!!

Is it really a "major" airport though ?

You need to reel in your terminology.

DCA has more enplanements than Dulles which you mentioned.

So - yes it is a major airport.

It is *not* an international airport - which is what I think you're getting at.

DCA does have international service to Canada. AC is currently 10 x daily (6 to YYZ, 2 to YOW, 2 to YUL). AA and B6 also have seasonal service to Nassau. DCA can only be served from international points with U.S. pre-clearance (and less than 1250 miles without a waiver to the perimeter rule).

a380787

Sun Aug 28, 2016 3:35 am

coolian2 wrote:
a380787 wrote:
I wonder if they'll name an airport after Obama (likely event). There were online petition/wishful-thinking about renaming MDW after him.

Barack Hussein Obama Midway Airport?

I have no issues there, but good luck getting it by the wingnuts.

Naming an airport is a very local matter, possibly within city jurisdiction. I'm not even sure if state legislatures have power over that.

If they name ORD after Obama that be funny, cuz UA's 2 largest hubs will be called Obama and Bush (41).... Hahahha . DC city boundaries is like what, 75-80% democrat ? Yet no one gave a crap when naming the most convenient airport as Reagan.

Most presidents are worth honoring regardless of your affiliation, except obviously disgraced ones like Nixon. I'm not gonna be dumb enough to avoid an airport just because of its name.

eta unknown

Sun Aug 28, 2016 3:48 am

neutronstar73 wrote:
McCarran Airport back home (LAS) was renamed for Pat McCarran in 1941.

And now there's an attempt to remove his name. While McCarran did great things for Nevada, and Las Vegas in particular, he was McCarthy's right hand man and by today's modern society standards, a vile human being.

a380787

Sun Aug 28, 2016 4:00 am

eta unknown wrote:
neutronstar73 wrote:
McCarran Airport back home (LAS) was renamed for Pat McCarran in 1941.

And now there's an attempt to remove his name. While McCarran did great things for Nevada, and Las Vegas in particular, he was McCarthy's right hand man and by today's modern society standards, a vile human being.

I see that as pettiness. Unless someone is thoroughly disgraced, I really dislike removing names of politicians once it's official, regardless of political affiliation. That's just wasting everyone's time.

An airport name really gives it character. MY-CITY INTERNATIONAL is such a snooze.

alasizon

Sun Aug 28, 2016 6:17 am

910A wrote:
The then mayor of Phoenix (Rimza) tried to get the name of Phoenix Sky Harbor changed to honor Barry Goldwater, needless to say that idea was dead on arrival.

To be fair, T4 is named the Barry M Goldwater terminal. Changing the name from Sky Harbor would probably never ever fly at this point given how used to it everyone is.

eta unknown wrote:

And yet to me, it will still be McCarran even if the name is removed. Certain airports really take on the name of whomever its named after while others it is more of a hindrance. For instance, a lot of people refer to SNA as John Wayne even though its just as easy to say Santa Ana.Then there are others like CMH and DCA (Port Columbus and National respectively), where certain names just stick and the person's name doesn't fit colloquially.
Airport (noun) - A construction site which airplanes tend to frequent

AirIndia

Sun Aug 28, 2016 6:27 am

Ammad wrote:
Peshawar Airport renamed to Bacha Khan Airport, After a party got Majority whose founding leader was Bacha Khan.

Bacha Khan was a leading personality duing the Indian independence movement. He was often referred to as Frontier Gandhi.

FlySSC

Re: Major Airport that changed names to honor politicinas

Sun Aug 28, 2016 8:08 am

CBRboy wrote:
ACJ - Jimmy Carter Regional Airport - Americus, Georgia
STT - Cyril E King Airport, US Virgin Islands, was known as Harry S Truman Airport until 1984
ICT - Wichita Dwight D. Eisenhower National Airport, Wichita, Kansas
GRR - Gerald R. Ford International Airport, Grand Rapids, Michigan
DCA - Ronald Reagan Washington National Airport, Arlington County, Virginia
LIT - Bill and Hillary Clinton National Airport, Little Rock, Arkansas
MDW - Chicago Midway Airport has been suggested as a possible candidate for renaming as Obama Airport
EUX - F. D. Roosevelt Airport, Sint Eustatius, Caribbean Netherlands
DAR - Julius Nyerere International Airport, Dar es Salaam, Tanzania
NBO - Jomo Kenyatta International Airport, Nairobi, Kenya
RAI - Nelson Mandela International Airport, Praia, Cape Verde
DEL - Indira Gandhi International Airport, Delhi, India
CGK - Soekarno–Hatta International Airport, Jakarta, Indonesia
CDG - Paris Charles de Gaulle Airport, Paris, France
JNB - O. R. Tambo International Airport, Johannesburg, South Africa

I'm sure there's lots more. Why name an airport after a politician?

Paris CDG didn't change name to honor Charles de Gaulle... It was always named CDG since its inauguration in 1974 (Charles de Gaulle died in 1970).

luv2cattlecall

Sun Aug 28, 2016 8:15 am

Not really a major airport, but was LIT always renamed as the Bill and Hillary Clinton Airport, or was it just Bill when it was first renamed? If so, what was the impetus to add the name of his wife?

cumulushumilis

Wed Aug 31, 2016 6:26 pm

Viscount724 wrote:
bmacleod wrote:
In Canada at least 3 major airports have been given names of former politicians.

YUL - Montreal Dorval became Pierre Elliot Trudeau International Airport.
YHZ - Halifax International became Robert L. Stanfield International Airport
YYZ- Toronto International became Lester B Pearson International Airport

Most (except YWG) not in the "major" category but also:

YWG - Winnipeg James Armstrong Richardson International Airport (former federal member of parliament/cabinet minister and Winnipeg businessman)
YHM - John C. Munro Hamilton International Airport (former federal member of parliament/cabinet minister)
YXE - Saskatoon John G. Diefenbaker International Airport (Prime Minister 1957-1963)
YXY - Erik Nielsen Whitehorse International Airport (longtime federal member of parliament/cabinet minister representing the Yukon, and brother of late Hollywood actor Leslie Nielsen of "Naked Gun" and "Airplane!" movie fame..."I am serious, and don't call me Shirley.")
YTS - Timmins/Victor M. Power Airport (former mayor of Timmins, Ontario)

Don't forget YOW - Ottawa Macdonald–Cartier International Airport (Sir John A. Macdonald Canada's first Prime Minister and Sir George-Étienne Cartier Father of Confederation) Only Airport I think of that shares its name with two politicians.

skyduster

Fri Sep 02, 2016 12:39 pm

IPFreely wrote:
O'Hare (ORD) received its code from it's original name which was Orchard Field. It was renamed O'Hare in honor of Edward O'Hare, s US Navy pilot who won the Congrssional Medal of Honor in World War 2.

Removing the name of a legitimate war hero and replacing it with the name of a politician would be a disgrace.

Plus, the name "O'Hare" has become so iconic...like "Heathrow". I don't see a name-change happening.

I could see Midway being named Midway-Obama, or something like that, one day. Or, possibly, HNL which is currently just "Honolulu International Airport". (Unless the people of Hawaii would prefer to name the airport "Queen Liliuokalani").
mostly lurker, very rare poster

skyduster

Fri Sep 02, 2016 12:46 pm

Andy33 wrote:
ATH - Eleftherios Venizelos, after the Prime Minister of Greece between 1910 and 1920 and 1928-1933, widely regarded as the father of modern Greece.

Now technically the name has been with ATH since it moved to its current site, but the original ATH was called Hellenikon.

Officially, it was just "Athens International Airport". "Hellenikon" was never official. It's just commonly referred to as such, after the Athens suburb it was located in. During it's heyday, it was rarely referred to as such, since it there was no need to distinguish it from Eleftherios Venizelos.
mostly lurker, very rare poster

mafaky

Fri Sep 02, 2016 7:28 pm

KrustyTheKlown wrote:
IST - Istanbul Atatürk Airport after Mustafa Kemal Atatürk, previously known as Yeşilköy airport (due to its location).

I wonder if the new Istanbul airport will eventually be named Erdogan Airport.

Hell, NOoooOOO !!! :(
A veteran Electronics & Communications Engineer from Istanbul-Turkey, highly interested in civil and military aviation.

mozart

Fri Sep 02, 2016 7:59 pm

Since yesterday (I think): HAM - Helmut Schmidt
Since opening: MUC - Franz Josef Strauss
If it ever opens: BER - Willy Brandt

Also some that are named after monarchs:

SXM - Queen Beatrix, former Queen of the Netherlands
AMM -Queen Alia
JED - King Abdulaziz
RUH - King Khalid
CMN - King Mohamed V
DUR - King Shaka

A great to place to look for airports named after politicians is Africa where they have this person cult

NBO - jomo Kenyatta
ABV - Nnamdi Azikiwe
MRU - Seewoosagur Ramgoolam
DAR - Julius Nyerere
DKR - Léopold Sédar Senghor
WDH - Hosea Kutako
ZNZ - Abeid Amani Karume
HME - Krim Belkacem
GBE - Sir Seretse Khama
HAH - Said Ibrahim of Grand Comore
LVI - Harry Mwanga Nkumbula,
NIM - Diori Hamani

mandargb

Fri Sep 02, 2016 8:14 pm

(BOM) Mumbai, India : Named Chhatrapati Shivaji International Airport (Shivaji was king in 17th Century)

B727skyguy

Sat Sep 03, 2016 1:59 am

notconcerned wrote:
Airports in China, Japan, Korea, Taiwan, Hong Kong, Singapore don't have airports named after any individuals. I'm not aware of any in Thailand or Vietnam either.

Vietnam has a whole city (Ho Chi Minh City, formerly Saigon) named after a political figure.

notconcerned

Sat Sep 03, 2016 3:21 am

B727skyguy wrote:
notconcerned wrote:

Vietnam has a whole city (Ho Chi Minh City, formerly Saigon) named after a political figure.

Yes but the airport itself, SGN, is called Tan Son Nhat Airport, which is not a political figure or an individual. :D

mad20001

Mon Oct 10, 2016 2:33 pm

Ideekay wrote:
FNC - Madeira Airport have just recently changed their name to Cristiano Ronaldo Airport

Actually, it hasn't...it has been anouced by local Goverment but no official change has been made yet....only Flight Radar seem to be in a hurry to do so....

csavel

Mon Oct 10, 2016 3:25 pm

Question is how many people actually *use* the renamed name? I'd actually like to know how many people from Istanbul call it 'Ataturk' rather than 'Yesilkoy.' I think people are often resistant to airport renames. It works best when the airport has that name from the get-go like LGA. OK JFK is one obviously but does anyone really call YUL anything other than Dorval? Almost everyone I know still calls DCA just 'National' and IAH 'Houston Intercontinental'. For that matter does anyone actually call EWR 'Newark Liberty?'
I may be ugly. I may be an American. But don't call me an ugly American.

hispanola

Mon Oct 10, 2016 3:37 pm

Many South American airports are named after politicians. From a quick Wikipedia search:
UIO, Quito's Mariscal Sucre Airport.
EZE, Buenos Aires' Ministro Pistarini Airport
MVD, Monte Video's Carrasco Airport
CCS, Caracas' Simón Bolívar Airport

(I know some of these have already mentioned, but it's nice te refresh the memory)

And back at home there is a movement to name DUB after Taoiseach Seán Lemass
✈️

ORDSpotter7

Mon Oct 10, 2016 3:44 pm

a380787 wrote:

That would be a terrible move. The battle of Midway which MDW is named after, has more historical importance than even a 2 term US President.

(This is not a political statement supporting or opposing Obama)

airxliban

Mon Oct 10, 2016 4:07 pm

Much to my chagrin, BEY changed from BIA (Beirut International Airport) to RHIA (Rafic Hariri International Airport) following the assassination of former Prime Minister Rafiq Hariri.

With all due respect to the slain ex-PM and other politicians who have been martyred, our one and only airport will always be BIA to me.
PARIS, FRANCE...THE BEIRUT OF EUROPE.

Johnv707

Mon Oct 10, 2016 4:28 pm

What about airports named after movie stars:
Burbank, CA - Bob Hope Airport
Orange County, CA - John Wayne Airport

SaabFA71

Mon Oct 10, 2016 4:49 pm

ERI in Pennsylvania: Tom Ridge Field. Named after the former governor.
I used all of my sick days, so now I'm calling in dead.

airzim

Mon Oct 10, 2016 5:17 pm

ojjunior wrote:
That's the same point trying to change JFK's name; it will always be JFK.

That's interesting given that JFK was not the original name. It was Idelwild, IDL.

In time, people pick up the new names. There's no more Pan Am building, 59th St bridge, etc.

jbpdx

Mon Oct 10, 2016 6:04 pm

^

stlgph

Mon Oct 10, 2016 6:40 pm

this one is easy people.

Honolulu Int'l. can become Obama Intl.

or Nairobi. ;)
if assumptions could fly, airliners.net would be the world's busiest airport

RogerMurdock

Mon Oct 10, 2016 10:43 pm

EWRandMDW wrote:
Let's not forget Ronald Reagan Washington National Airport (DCA)!!

Yes, congress decided that DCA needed the name of a second president when it was already named after a much better one (George Washington).

kgaiflyer wrote:
DCA...
is *not* an international airport - which is what I think you're getting at.

I guess I'm imagining the flights to Canada, Bermuda, and the Bahamas then?

BobPatterson

Mon Oct 10, 2016 10:53 pm

Depending on how far down in airport size one is willing to go, you can probably find almost all U.S. President names at some airport (I couldn't find Nixon). Some airports carry the names of counties or cities that were named after a President (same thing?).

Dickinson Theodore Roosevelt Regional Airport, DIK, Dickinson, ND

Roosevelt Municipal Airport, 74V, Roosevelt, UT (town named after TR)

Fillmore Municipal Airport, FIL, Fillmore, UT (Millard Fillmore, 13th President)

Garfield County Regional Airport. RIL, Rifle, Garfield County, Colorado. (County named after President James A. Garfield)

Grant County International Airport, MWH , Moses Lake, WA. (County named after President Ulysses S. Grant)
Facts are fragile things. Treat them with care. Sources are important. Alternative facts do not exist.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos