Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

 
VC10er
Topic Author
Posts: 4275
Joined: Tue Feb 20, 2007 6:25 am

What does an airline see about you on the computer?

Tue Aug 30, 2016 9:18 am

Hello All,

I estimate that I have flown about 4 million miles in the past 25 years - of those hundreds of flights, across many airlines, I can only think of 3 times where I have gotten into a unpleasant argument with an agent. A few weeks ago I got into my 3rd unpleasant argument...with a gate agent. I pride myself on keeping my cool, not to be an a-hole, even if I feel I have a right to be, being a a-hole will solve nothing. This time, the airline gave away my paid international business class bed seat (12 hour flight) after being assured my seat would be held (I called the airline) as the flight was being held for all of us coming in from a late connecting flight (from the pilot). The gate agents response after about a solid minute of my visible and verbal anger, said in the coldest of ways: "you have a choice, take a center seat in economy or I call security" (I took the center seat - it was horrible, although the crew was wonderful)

Even though I have NEVER been a nasty pax, I did made a big stink this time!

Questions: can this gate agent put a note in my file in the computer? (Clearly she hated me).
Larger question: Does/can and airline flag a passenger in the system so that any future agent can see that they are dealing with a reputed difficult passenger?
To Most the Sky is The Limit, For me, the Sky is Home.
 
tonystan
Posts: 1711
Joined: Sat Jan 07, 2006 7:39 am

Re: What does an airline see about you on the computer?

Tue Aug 30, 2016 10:44 am

Depends on the airline but no, they can't really out a black mark beside your name. She would need to escalate the incident with reports and eye witness accounts and have it all sent and investigated by the airlines asset protection team which all takes time. Basically if she had called security she would need to have a very valid reason to do so and possibly depending on your status could have ended up in a whole lot of trouble.

She's essentially being a bully.

Answer to that one is you don't budge, you demand the correct seat either in that flight or the next available and the airline should put you up if it now means you have to be over nighted.
My views are my own and do not reflect any other person or organisation.
 
rfields5421
Posts: 6374
Joined: Thu Jul 19, 2007 12:45 am

Re: What does an airline see about you on the computer?

Tue Aug 30, 2016 11:07 am

From your post - I assume you had to take the flight, even after being downgraded to economy.

1) Make a formal complaint about the seat not being held, and request the airline refund you the fare difference.

2) Don't mention the gate agent.

Do be aware that at some point in the boarding process the gate agent has to make a decision 'The pax hasn't showed up yet - put XXX in that seat.' In all likelihood, your seat had been given to another passenger, and the gate agent had been told by the aircraft crew that they were not going to wait for you any longer. Use the seat or dispatch the plane with the seat empty. Even though your incoming flight crew assured you the seat on the outgoing flight would be held - they really don't talk to the person responsible for boarding that flight. The incoming flight crew is trying to satisfy you. They are not going to tell you that they are not sure you will get your paid for seat. They are just doing what they can to make sure you make that outgoing flight in whatever seat is available. Part of any extra assistance the outgoing flight crew gave you was likely because the gate agent asked them to take special care of you because of the late flight and losing your premium seat.

You have to understand that at the point you arrived - likely the gate agent had two choices - 1) delay dispatching the flight by going onto the plane and pulling a passenger off the aircraft, possibly having to delay the departure for the passenger's luggage to be pulled from the cargo hold, or 2) giving you the seat in economy. The agent was already likely under pressure from the flight crew to get the door closed with the on-board passenger load and get the plane on its way. The gate agent was likely prepared to accommodate you with an over-night and priority handling for the next flight, but under the time constraints to get the current flight dispatched.

Get over your justifiable anger. Sometimes the airline people simply can't accommodate your paid for seat when you are not there at the start of boarding. There is lots of fine print buried in your ticket terms that say they will do their best to get you to your destination, but if you are not there at X time, you have to take what you can get.

If the airline values you as a customer, they will make it right. If they don't value you as a customer - do you want to continue to fly that airline (realizing that due to a lot of factors, you might not have a choice to choose a different carrier in the future).

In general the airlines are going to try to keep you a happy customer.
Not all who wander are lost.
 
VC10er
Topic Author
Posts: 4275
Joined: Tue Feb 20, 2007 6:25 am

Re: What does an airline see about you on the computer?

Tue Aug 30, 2016 11:44 am

Good advice. Thank you. I didn't want to name the airline because I didn't want this to turn into a thread bashing that airline...because, as I mentioned, I really never had a problem with that airline...although many on A.net do. I have the highest status and 3 million BIS miles on this airline so when I called the desk assigned to my status as I ran toward to the gate, they said the computer still had me in my seat...and assured me that they wouldn't give it away as the flight was being held for many incoming pax. I mentioned this to the gate agent, and her response was "the rep on the phone lied to you"...that angered me too (basically throwing a fellow employee under the bus) The flight the next day had no open seats so I didn't have much of an option. It was when the gate agent threatened to call security within the first minute of me trying to get my seat back...I just shut up. It was very effective: it frightened me!
I do plan to write and get a refund, I was (this will sound snobby) upset given my status that they had upgraded someone into my seat before the door was closed, and I was far from the last person to board the plane. QUESTION: why shouldn't I tell the airline about the agent's attitude and threat? I planned to offset it by naming the FA who was very kind to me. Thanks again so much!
To Most the Sky is The Limit, For me, the Sky is Home.
 
User avatar
aerorobnz
Posts: 8354
Joined: Sat Feb 10, 2001 3:43 pm

Re: What does an airline see about you on the computer?

Tue Aug 30, 2016 11:52 am

VC10er wrote:
Hello All,

I estimate that I have flown about 4 million miles in the past 25 years - of those hundreds of flights, across many airlines, I can only think of 3 times where I have gotten into a unpleasant argument with an agent. A few weeks ago I got into my 3rd unpleasant argument...with a gate agent. I pride myself on keeping my cool, not to be an a-hole, even if I feel I have a right to be, being a a-hole will solve nothing. This time, the airline gave away my paid international business class bed seat (12 hour flight) after being assured my seat would be held (I called the airline) as the flight was being held for all of us coming in from a late connecting flight (from the pilot). The gate agents response after about a solid minute of my visible and verbal anger, said in the coldest of ways: "you have a choice, take a center seat in economy or I call security" (I took the center seat - it was horrible, although the crew was wonderful)

Even though I have NEVER been a nasty pax, I did made a big stink this time!

Questions: can this gate agent put a note in my file in the computer? (Clearly she hated me).
Larger question: Does/can and airline flag a passenger in the system so that any future agent can see that they are dealing with a reputed difficult passenger?


In that circumstance, here's what you do. You stay calm as usual and say you elect not to travel until the airline can put you on a later flight in the class you paid for, cause a further delay while they offload your baggage and demand from the manager on duty that they accommodate you for being disrupted. Then if they still aren't playing ball then you drop a tweet about the incident with the airline hashtag in it and wait for their social media team to take the bait. There is no way that public/popular opinion on this scenario will side with the airline.
Flown to 147 Airports in 62 Countries on 83 Operators and counting. Wanderlust is like Syphilis, once you have the itch it's too late for treatment.
 
User avatar
TheFlyingDisk
Posts: 2154
Joined: Mon Jun 09, 2008 12:43 pm

Re: What does an airline see about you on the computer?

Tue Aug 30, 2016 12:26 pm

VC10er wrote:
QUESTION: why shouldn't I tell the airline about the agent's attitude and threat? I planned to offset it by naming the FA who was very kind to me. Thanks again so much!


I don't see any reason why you shouldn't outline the lousy treatment by the gate agent. Sure, they had a decision to make on whether to release the seat or not but they have no right to threaten you by saying "you have a choice, take a center seat in economy or I call security" especially if they hadn't even tried to soothe you down at all. It wasn't your fault that you were late, it's not as if you were busy perusing the duty free shop that you missed the boarding call, so why should you have to be treated so shoddily?

You should methodically outline what happened & email it to the customer care team - although make sure your tone of message isn't too snide, or even angry. I'm pretty sure since you've stated you have frequently flown on the airline that they have your total history on file & would probably put your complaint on higher priority for investigation compared to others.
I FLY KLM+ALASKA+QATAR+MALAYSIA+AIRASIA+MALINDO
 
rfields5421
Posts: 6374
Joined: Thu Jul 19, 2007 12:45 am

Re: What does an airline see about you on the computer?

Tue Aug 30, 2016 12:52 pm

VC10er wrote:
QUESTION: why shouldn't I tell the airline about the agent's attitude and threat? I planned to offset it by naming the FA who was very kind to me. Thanks again so much!


Step back and look at your attitude when you first talked to the agent. Yes, the rep on the phone told you the seat would be held. But you have to understand the rep on the phone doesn't get to make those decisions. The seat was released by the time you talked to the gate agent. That is apparently a fact no matter what anyone told you. Someone somewhere either didn't talk to the folks on the plane/ gate, or simply gave you an answer you wanted to hear, not an actual fully truthful answer.

You were unhappy because the agent told you something different from what the phone rep told you. And you CHOSE to consider the agent hostile to your request for the paid for seat. You said throwing another employee under the bus. You are apparently saying 'X said the seat would be held' and what can the agent say but 'No that's not true.' Because it obviously wasn't.

You've made it very clear that you were angry, frustrated and confrontational. Now how do you expect an agent to respond? I'm sure the agent could have handled you better. Should have done a better job.

As far as a threat - that's almost exactly word for word what the airlines required their people to say to a confrontational passenger. It's not a threat, it policy.

When your request for refund hits the customer service team, there will be an investigation. The agent will be asked why the seat was released when it should not have been released. And the phone rep you talked to will be asked why they assured you the seat would be held when it wasn't. You can be certain both employees will be counseled about being more truthful and better at customer service.

Maybe I'm looking at what is your goal. To get refunded for a service your paid for and did not receive, or to get revenge on the agent?

I disagree with those who want you to be publicly confrontational. That is much more likely to get your marked as a 'problem' passenger in the airline's system.

Maybe I'm wrong, but escalating and continuing to be a 'victim' doesn't help you, and being understanding will likely make the airline value you more as a customer.
Not all who wander are lost.
 
User avatar
jetfuel
Posts: 1078
Joined: Tue Jan 11, 2005 10:27 pm

Re: What does an airline see about you on the computer?

Tue Aug 30, 2016 1:04 pm

This 100% sounds like United. I have been around long enough to have flown many airlines and had this happen only with UA.
Where's the passion gone out of the airline industry? The smell of jetfuel and the romance of taking a flight....
 
iahcsr
Posts: 4777
Joined: Fri Jun 04, 1999 2:59 pm

Re: What does an airline see about you on the computer?

Tue Aug 30, 2016 1:30 pm

I doubt anyone lied to you ..knowingly... The person on the phone is sitting in a cubical in some call center who knows where. They can see your seating on the flight at that moment, but it can change five seconds later without their knowledge unless they refresh the display.
Also, the decision to hold or not hold fights is made on a case by case basis, usually by a planning dept higher up on the command chain, and only for a set amount of time. Once that time elapsed the agents are required to get the flight closed out ASAP.. Which includes upgrades for any open seats. Not knowing the details in your case I can only speculate the gate agents did what they were required to do ( supposedly) by the time you arrived. Being in the perverbial Rock/Hard place only option they could offer was the Y seat or not go. Calling security seems a bit much.... Unless you were really acting out... And even then it's more proper to call for the team leader/ supervisor first to try and sort the matter out. Refund on fare difference is an absolute given...
Working Hard, Flying Right Friendly....
 
UAL777UK
Posts: 2369
Joined: Sun Nov 20, 2005 1:16 am

Re: What does an airline see about you on the computer?

Tue Aug 30, 2016 1:44 pm

So forgive my ignorance here, so VC10er is told by an agent on the phone that the seat is held and then rocks up at the gate and the seat is gone. Who is this gone to? I can only assume it was a last minute upgrade? Would it not make sense to tell that upgrade, I will put you in J but until we close the door, if the fully paid J rocks up we might need to put you back in Y or is that just not possible? As I say, forgive my ignorance here.
 
DTWPurserBoy
Posts: 2374
Joined: Fri Feb 19, 2010 10:33 pm

Re: What does an airline see about you on the computer?

Tue Aug 30, 2016 2:03 pm

iahcsr wrote:
I doubt anyone lied to you ..knowingly... The person on the phone is sitting in a cubical in some call center who knows where. They can see your seating on the flight at that moment, but it can change five seconds later without their knowledge unless they refresh the display.
Also, the decision to hold or not hold fights is made on a case by case basis, usually by a planning dept higher up on the command chain, and only for a set amount of time. Once that time elapsed the agents are required to get the flight closed out ASAP.. Which includes upgrades for any open seats. Not knowing the details in your case I can only speculate the gate agents did what they were required to do ( supposedly) by the time you arrived. Being in the perverbial Rock/Hard place only option they could offer was the Y seat or not go. Calling security seems a bit much.... Unless you were really acting out... And even then it's more proper to call for the team leader/ supervisor first to try and sort the matter out. Refund on fare difference is an absolute given...


Another thing you can do is request to speak to a CRO--Complaint Resolution Officer. His or her word is final but you are entitled to a refund of the fare difference and I would politely request some form of additional compensation like a free upgrade another flight or some miles.

Calling security is over the top. You have made no threat to the agent but are merely trying to resolve the issue. Also request to speak to his/her supervisor but keep in mind that an on-time departure will far outweigh any passenger complaint. It may be that this is an issue best decided after the flight.

My sincerest condolences on the middle seat for a 12 hour flight. That is torture.
Qualified on Concorde/B707/B720/B727/B737/B747/B757/B767/B777/DC-8/DC-9/DC-10/A319/A320/A330/MD-88-90
 
DTWPurserBoy
Posts: 2374
Joined: Fri Feb 19, 2010 10:33 pm

Re: What does an airline see about you on the computer?

Tue Aug 30, 2016 2:09 pm

UAL777UK wrote:
So forgive my ignorance here, so VC10er is told by an agent on the phone that the seat is held and then rocks up at the gate and the seat is gone. Who is this gone to? I can only assume it was a last minute upgrade? Would it not make sense to tell that upgrade, I will put you in J but until we close the door, if the fully paid J rocks up we might need to put you back in Y or is that just not possible? As I say, forgive my ignorance here.


Might or might not be an upgrade--they could have deliberately oversold the cabin. International upgrades are getting harder and harder to find. When you get to a few minutes before departure the agent has to clear all the remaining standby passengers and close the flight on the computer. They will not tell you who is in "your" seat. Somewhere along the line a supervisor should have been made aware of the delayed last minute connections and advised the agents they were on their way to the gate. Communication failed somewhere along the line. If the flight is delayed even one minute the delay will be charged to a specific department and they will have to account for it so the best way to handle the situation is not to put yourself in it if you are an agent. Just get 'em on and close the door.
Qualified on Concorde/B707/B720/B727/B737/B747/B757/B767/B777/DC-8/DC-9/DC-10/A319/A320/A330/MD-88-90
 
777ord
Posts: 681
Joined: Sat May 15, 2010 12:04 pm

Re: What does an airline see about you on the computer?

Tue Aug 30, 2016 2:12 pm

something doesn't add up.

they released your seat knowing full well you were connecting? And, as you said, were waiting. Sounds like the (gate operation) knew of your incoming arrival and still decided to drop your seat. My question is- who took it, and put YOU back in it. If the person replacing you in your seat is an upgrade revenue- Sorry, you go back to your seat. If it's an employee flying standby, sorry- you go back to your seat. They SHOULD have given you your seat back and asked you to take your seat ASAP.

Putting a note in your file is code for "I'll just put comments in your PNR and, if I decide to tell my supervisor something may happen". 99% of the time we document PNR's just to CYA should anything happen. Cuz, if you interact with 5,000 people how likely are you to recall some time later one guy on one flight who got mad? exactly.

There are systems in place that track the 'abuse' or complaints of customers. 99% of the time, it's seldomly followed up with fault and blame to the customer. But, sometimes the customer is spoken with and told "look, you clearly have a problem with us. please don't fly us then".

I am not sure who you flew, but I'm sorry to hear you had that situation. But, my suggestion as an airline duty manager--> report it to your airlines complaint department, or, 1k/medallion/ EXP desk of whatever airline you are with.
 
coolian2
Posts: 2483
Joined: Sun Oct 22, 2006 3:34 pm

Re: What does an airline see about you on the computer?

Tue Aug 30, 2016 2:21 pm

jetfuel wrote:
This 100% sounds like United. I have been around long enough to have flown many airlines and had this happen only with UA.

Having read many of the original posters threads, I'm fairly convinced I could guess the airline.
Q300/ATR72-600/737-200/-300/-400/-700/-800/A320/767-200/-300/757-200/777-300ER/
747-200/-300/-400/ER/A340-300/A380-800/MD-83/-88/CRJ-700/-900
 
Cubsrule
Posts: 14636
Joined: Sat May 15, 2004 12:13 pm

Re: What does an airline see about you on the computer?

Tue Aug 30, 2016 2:22 pm

DTWPurserBoy wrote:
If the flight is delayed even one minute the delay will be charged to a specific department and they will have to account for it so the best way to handle the situation is not to put yourself in it if you are an agent. Just get 'em on and close the door.


I'm sympathetic to the fact that delays are a problem, but it seems to me that the recent emphasis on D0 has led to some really customer-unfriendly behavior by agents, especially at Delta. Is it really worth it?
I can't decide whether I miss the tulip or the bowling shoe more
 
DLPMMM
Posts: 2281
Joined: Wed Apr 20, 2005 12:34 am

Re: What does an airline see about you on the computer?

Tue Aug 30, 2016 2:53 pm

I have had almost the exact same thing happen to me (I think on DL)...except they told me to wait a few seconds...then brought me on to the plane while they were moving an upgrader back to coach, giving me my J class seat. I would have stood my ground refusing to board while calling the elite line for the airline. Threatening to call security is a BS move on the gate agent's part...I don't put up with bullies.
 
TWA1985
Posts: 646
Joined: Sun Nov 12, 2006 3:24 am

Re: What does an airline see about you on the computer?

Tue Aug 30, 2016 2:54 pm

jetfuel wrote:
This 100% sounds like United. I have been around long enough to have flown many airlines and had this happen only with UA.

I was thinking the same thing! LOL This has only happened to me once, and on UA, of course! My family and I were flying to LHR via IAD and our flight to DC was held for nearly two hours at the gate in ORD while we waited for 6 passengers connecting from a late flight from China. Once we finally got on our way, the captain came on and assured us that anyone with an international connection would have their seat held. My dad even asked the flight attendant specifically and she talked to the captain who assured us we would make our flight. Well ... to make a long story short, we did not. We arrived at the connecting gate only to see the plane being pushed back. Of course, since we were booked in business, the airline gave us the royal treatment. Limo to the hotel, a suite at the Hilton, and breakfast delivered to our room the next morning (and I am talking a huge spread!). So overall it was not a bad experience (and my dad was even able to get us bumped up to first on the return flight after doing a little complaining since we lost an entire day of our trip. I guess the moral of the story is, despite employees assuring your that your aircraft will wait, it's far from a guarantee (tho is was kind of crappy that they waited for international passengers connecting from China, yet could not wait for passengers going to LHR. But oh well, now it's just another story to tell. :-D
Be Young. Be Wild. Be Free.
 
mjoelnir
Posts: 9411
Joined: Sun Feb 03, 2013 11:06 pm

Re: What does an airline see about you on the computer?

Tue Aug 30, 2016 3:02 pm

rfields5421 wrote:
VC10er wrote:
QUESTION: why shouldn't I tell the airline about the agent's attitude and threat? I planned to offset it by naming the FA who was very kind to me. Thanks again so much!


Step back and look at your attitude when you first talked to the agent. Yes, the rep on the phone told you the seat would be held. But you have to understand the rep on the phone doesn't get to make those decisions. The seat was released by the time you talked to the gate agent. That is apparently a fact no matter what anyone told you. Someone somewhere either didn't talk to the folks on the plane/ gate, or simply gave you an answer you wanted to hear, not an actual fully truthful answer.


Step back back and look at this from the side of the customer. For the customer the inner workings of an airline are of no interest. The airline, in the guise of the guy on the telephone, promised to hold the seat and the airline, in the guise of the agent did not keep to the promise.
The customer was late to no fault of his own, but the airline or the alliance or whatever. That is cause for complaint number one, the airline than takes his paid for business class seat and sells it to somebody else, that is not providing a service the guy already had paid for, cause for complaint number two.

To top it the agent is threatening the passenger, stop complaining or I call security. You must be working in the airline industry to find this acceptable. If threatening passengers because they complain is a policy, the whole airline should step back and look at their attitude.
 
ckfred
Posts: 5188
Joined: Wed Apr 25, 2001 12:50 pm

Re: What does an airline see about you on the computer?

Tue Aug 30, 2016 5:12 pm

If you have the employee's name, I would mention it to Customer Service. You paid for a business seat, as opposed to upgrading or using miles. You are the kind of customer that makes an airline profitable. Granted, all customers should be treated well, but the economy passenger who paid the lowest fare isn't as important to the bean counters as someone who paid for a J ticket.

The agent should be willing to take a bit more flak from someone who paid for a J seat and isn't getting it, especially since you weren't late because you decided to cut it close driving to the airport. You were late because of a late inbound flight, which reduced the connection time. Assuming that you didn't change carriers, it's the carrier's fault that your connection became tight (I know that there are issues beyond the carrier's control, such as weather and ATC, but you see my point).

Because of an agent's attitude, a lot of people would swear off a carrier. For someone who flies frequently and pays for international J, that's a lot of lost revenue over the course of years.

The agent could have been more apologetic, explaining that with the need to get the plane out and passengers wanting to upgrade, there came a time where they weren't able to hold your seat, as well as a quick explanation on how to get your refund for the difference between J and Y. Or, if there is a later flight on that carrier or codeshare, with J seats available, that should have been offered.

A friend of mine works for AA. He says that when a customer names an employee specifically, whether for good service or poor service, that letter or e-mail gets put in the personnel file. If an employee gets too many complaint letters, or if there is a serious issue, then the employee will have a meeting with his supervisor, and there will be appropriate action, whether disciplinary or retraining.

Arguing by a customer, so long as it is in a conversational tone, should not cause an employee to threaten to call security. A threat to call security should be for the person who is becoming a threat to the safety of the employee or other passengers.
 
rbavfan
Posts: 3633
Joined: Fri Apr 17, 2015 5:53 am

Re: What does an airline see about you on the computer?

Tue Aug 30, 2016 6:14 pm

VC10er wrote:
Good advice. Thank you. I didn't want to name the airline because I didn't want this to turn into a thread bashing that airline...because, as I mentioned, I really never had a problem with that airline...although many on A.net do. I have the highest status and 3 million BIS miles on this airline so when I called the desk assigned to my status as I ran toward to the gate, they said the computer still had me in my seat...and assured me that they wouldn't give it away as the flight was being held for many incoming pax. I mentioned this to the gate agent, and her response was "the rep on the phone lied to you"...that angered me too (basically throwing a fellow employee under the bus) The flight the next day had no open seats so I didn't have much of an option. It was when the gate agent threatened to call security within the first minute of me trying to get my seat back...I just shut up. It was very effective: it frightened me!
I do plan to write and get a refund, I was (this will sound snobby) upset given my status that they had upgraded someone into my seat before the door was closed, and I was far from the last person to board the plane. QUESTION: why shouldn't I tell the airline about the agent's attitude and threat? I planned to offset it by naming the FA who was very kind to me. Thanks again so much!



So United. After all thats the airline they bash here. lol Just kidding.
 
iahcsr
Posts: 4777
Joined: Fri Jun 04, 1999 2:59 pm

Re: What does an airline see about you on the computer?

Tue Aug 30, 2016 6:41 pm

DTWPurserBoy wrote:
iahcsr wrote:
I doubt anyone lied to you ..knowingly... The person on the phone is sitting in a cubical in some call center who knows where. They can see your seating on the flight at that moment, but it can change five seconds later without their knowledge unless they refresh the display.
Also, the decision to hold or not hold fights is made on a case by case basis, usually by a planning dept higher up on the command chain, and only for a set amount of time. Once that time elapsed the agents are required to get the flight closed out ASAP.. Which includes upgrades for any open seats. Not knowing the details in your case I can only speculate the gate agents did what they were required to do ( supposedly) by the time you arrived. Being in the perverbial Rock/Hard place only option they could offer was the Y seat or not go. Calling security seems a bit much.... Unless you were really acting out... And even then it's more proper to call for the team leader/ supervisor first to try and sort the matter out. Refund on fare difference is an absolute given...


Another thing you can do is request to speak to a CRO--Complaint Resolution Officer. His or her word is final but you are entitled to a refund of the fare difference and I would politely request some form of additional compensation like a free upgrade another flight or some miles.

Calling security is over the top. You have made no threat to the agent but are merely trying to resolve the issue. Also request to speak to his/her supervisor but keep in mind that an on-time departure will far outweigh any passenger complaint. It may be that this is an issue best decided after the flight.

My sincerest condolences on the middle seat for a 12 hour flight. That is torture.


Not exactly... CROs are strictly for ADA (American Disabilities Act) matters. Also legally it's in the contract of carriage for all airlines that passengers must be present at the departure gate X number of minutes prior to scheduled departure or the reservation is subject to cancellation.
Working Hard, Flying Right Friendly....
 
Cubsrule
Posts: 14636
Joined: Sat May 15, 2004 12:13 pm

Re: What does an airline see about you on the computer?

Tue Aug 30, 2016 7:00 pm

iahcsr wrote:
Also legally it's in the contract of carriage for all airlines that passengers must be present at the departure gate X number of minutes prior to scheduled departure or the reservation is subject to cancellation.


So you're suggesting that when all of the UA passengers who were . . . umm . . . inconvenienced in GLA a couple of days ago misconnected in EWR, UA could have canceled their onward flights because they were not present at the gate X number of minutes prior to scheduled departure?
I can't decide whether I miss the tulip or the bowling shoe more
 
alfa164
Posts: 3717
Joined: Sat Oct 06, 2012 2:47 am

Re: What does an airline see about you on the computer?

Tue Aug 30, 2016 8:42 pm

VC10er wrote:
This time, the airline gave away my paid international business class bed seat (12 hour flight) after being assured my seat would be held (I called the airline) as the flight was being held for all of us coming in from a late connecting flight (from the pilot). The gate agents response after about a solid minute of my visible and verbal anger, said in the coldest of ways: "you have a choice, take a center seat in economy or I call security" (I took the center seat - it was horrible, although the crew was wonderful)


Was your late-arriving flight on the same airline (and same ticket) as your international business flight? If so, the agent probably should have held your seat, knowing the situation. If not... then all bets are off...
I'm going to have a smokin' hot body again!
I have decided to be cremated....
 
jetmatt777
Posts: 4343
Joined: Sun Jun 26, 2005 2:16 am

Re: What does an airline see about you on the computer?

Tue Aug 30, 2016 8:56 pm

Cubsrule wrote:
DTWPurserBoy wrote:
If the flight is delayed even one minute the delay will be charged to a specific department and they will have to account for it so the best way to handle the situation is not to put yourself in it if you are an agent. Just get 'em on and close the door.


I'm sympathetic to the fact that delays are a problem, but it seems to me that the recent emphasis on D0 has led to some really customer-unfriendly behavior by agents, especially at Delta. Is it really worth it?


I agree. We are told that D:0 is the absolute best metric for customer satisfaction, only next to A:0. Really, D:15 is the best metric, if airlines were able to purposefully delay flights with no penalty for up to 15 minutes for connections -- everyone would be happier. The customers who would otherwise miss would be happy, more bags would make connections, and less airline expenditures for hotels, rebooking, and vouchers as well as costs to reunite baggage with the owner.

If there were a way to expunge good-will delays from the record, airlines would be more willing to hold flights for 5-15 mins for hot connections. A good-will delay would require proof to be submitted to the DOT that the only reason the flight was held was to improve customer connections. If any other reason were present (maintenance, crew, etc.) it would not be eligible. In essence, the plane has to be otherwise fully boarded and loaded with the handful of connections being the only thing lacking.
 
gzm
Posts: 364
Joined: Thu Aug 21, 2014 1:52 pm

Re: What does an airline see about you on the computer?

Tue Aug 30, 2016 9:19 pm

Boy,you flew into a rage literally,didn't you?wondering what your airline can see on the computer about you...insulting the agent and threatening. What you don't know most of you is that a flight is closed by the Close Out dept., which essentially acts as the check-in supervisor,not by the gate agent.He or she does not have such authority.At least you were prudent enough to board.Once I had a passenger who was so stubborn that he refused to get in and next morning he had to be at work. Was it really worth it? Airport work has all kinds of limitations, it is not only about good public relations and sometimes depends on improvisations. Once I had a passenger at Olympic whose inbound flight arrived earlier than expected and his domestic connecting one was late.His seat had been given to somebody else. But he rushed to the gate, showed us a proper boarding pass and was let in,only to find there was no seat left. I was called in and found him standing. Luckily there was one empty seat left in business,so I explained to the crew who let him in after asking the lady seating next. Needless to say he was groomed and good looking. I was an old hand,you see,and I sorted it out later with the Close Out to cover up for our negligence. That was a lucky upgrade. You get the point.
 
B2468
Posts: 123
Joined: Sun Sep 06, 2009 2:54 pm

Re: What does an airline see about you on the computer?

Tue Aug 30, 2016 9:21 pm

jetmatt777 wrote:

I agree. We are told that D:0 is the absolute best metric for customer satisfaction, only next to A:0. Really, D:15 is the best metric, if airlines were able to purposefully delay flights with no penalty for up to 15 minutes for connections -- everyone would be happier. The customers who would otherwise miss would be happy, more bags would make connections, and less airline expenditures for hotels, rebooking, and vouchers as well as costs to reunite baggage with the owner.

If there were a way to expunge good-will delays from the record, airlines would be more willing to hold flights for 5-15 mins for hot connections. A good-will delay would require proof to be submitted to the DOT that the only reason the flight was held was to improve customer connections. If any other reason were present (maintenance, crew, etc.) it would not be eligible. In essence, the plane has to be otherwise fully boarded and loaded with the handful of connections being the only thing lacking.


I am sorry if this is an ignorant question, but I don't work in the airline industry...

What do "A:0", "D:0", and "D:15" mean?
CNC/DH4/ERJ/306/310/319/320/332/333/343/346/388/72S/731/732/733/734/73G/738/741/744/74E/752/762/763/77E/77W/D95/D1C/M82
 
jetmatt777
Posts: 4343
Joined: Sun Jun 26, 2005 2:16 am

Re: What does an airline see about you on the computer?

Tue Aug 30, 2016 10:19 pm

B2468 wrote:
jetmatt777 wrote:

I agree. We are told that D:0 is the absolute best metric for customer satisfaction, only next to A:0. Really, D:15 is the best metric, if airlines were able to purposefully delay flights with no penalty for up to 15 minutes for connections -- everyone would be happier. The customers who would otherwise miss would be happy, more bags would make connections, and less airline expenditures for hotels, rebooking, and vouchers as well as costs to reunite baggage with the owner.

If there were a way to expunge good-will delays from the record, airlines would be more willing to hold flights for 5-15 mins for hot connections. A good-will delay would require proof to be submitted to the DOT that the only reason the flight was held was to improve customer connections. If any other reason were present (maintenance, crew, etc.) it would not be eligible. In essence, the plane has to be otherwise fully boarded and loaded with the handful of connections being the only thing lacking.


I am sorry if this is an ignorant question, but I don't work in the airline industry...

What do "A:0", "D:0", and "D:15" mean?


A:00 = Arrival exactly at or before scheduled arrival. Example a 7:02 Arrival on a scheduled 7:04 arrival would be A:00
D:00 = Departure exactly at or before scheduled departure.
D:15 isn't a metric used, but under my proposal it would be.
 
rfields5421
Posts: 6374
Joined: Thu Jul 19, 2007 12:45 am

Re: What does an airline see about you on the computer?

Tue Aug 30, 2016 10:25 pm

mjoelnir wrote:
To top it the agent is threatening the passenger, stop complaining or I call security. You must be working in the airline industry to find this acceptable. If threatening passengers because they complain is a policy, the whole airline should step back and look at their attitude.


Nope - never have or will work for an airline. But I have been in customer service for a long, long time.

From the original post

VC10er wrote:
The gate agents response after about a solid minute of my visible and verbal anger, said in the coldest of ways: "you have a choice, take a center seat in economy or I call security"


The original poster admitted that he started the verbal argument, escalating the situation to the point a reasonable employee has to consider a possible physical threat from the customer.

Also, this happened a couple weeks ago, not a day or so.

ckfred wrote:
Arguing by a customer, so long as it is in a conversational tone, should not cause an employee to threaten to call security. A threat to call security should be for the person who is becoming a threat to the safety of the employee or other passengers.


The customer admits he was not conversational. He was refusing to listen to the gate agent. He wanted the J seat, and would not take "Not available" for an answer.

I do not consider it professional behavior for a lower level employee to argue with a customer, especially while that argument is holding up the flight.

Now, I agree there is a lot the airline gate agent could have done differently, many ways he/she should have tried to better accommodate the customer. We don't know the details.

The original post was about what to do about the situation. My response is aimed at one key element - getting his money back. Airlines, like most businesses, take refunds seriously. The reason a good frequent customer was not given his paid for seat is something the airline needs to determine and explain. And make good to the customer.

When he is asked about his experience, how he felt he was treated is a time to mention the gate agent behavior, but to fully admit that the customer was "visible and verbal anger" when dealing with the agent.
Not all who wander are lost.
 
aklrno
Posts: 1578
Joined: Sat Dec 04, 2010 11:18 pm

Re: What does an airline see about you on the computer?

Tue Aug 30, 2016 10:59 pm

jetfuel wrote:
This 100% sounds like United. I have been around long enough to have flown many airlines and had this happen only with UA.

I had the EXACT same thing happen to me at PHX about 5 years ago. My experience was even worse. I lost my seat, the next flight was the next day in economy, , and they could not get me a hotel room. The airline was US. I did not fly on that airline ever again, even when it was more convenient. After the AA merger I continued to avoid them. I do fly an occasional RNO-LAX flight, but that is it. And that is American Eagle.

I tried for compensation. I thought their offer was ridiculous. They wouldn't even give me the proper fare refund, and nothing for the hotel. I asked to appeal to a higher level. They withdrew their offer (some time limit passed) and I got nothing.

When airlines do these things, make it clear that they have lost a loyal customer.
 
Cubsrule
Posts: 14636
Joined: Sat May 15, 2004 12:13 pm

Re: What does an airline see about you on the computer?

Tue Aug 30, 2016 11:03 pm

jetmatt777 wrote:
Cubsrule wrote:
I agree. We are told that D:0 is the absolute best metric for customer satisfaction, only next to A:0. Really, D:15 is the best metric, if airlines were able to purposefully delay flights with no penalty for up to 15 minutes for connections -- everyone would be happier. The customers who would otherwise miss would be happy, more bags would make connections, and less airline expenditures for hotels, rebooking, and vouchers as well as costs to reunite baggage with the owner.

If there were a way to expunge good-will delays from the record, airlines would be more willing to hold flights for 5-15 mins for hot connections. A good-will delay would require proof to be submitted to the DOT that the only reason the flight was held was to improve customer connections. If any other reason were present (maintenance, crew, etc.) it would not be eligible. In essence, the plane has to be otherwise fully boarded and loaded with the handful of connections being the only thing lacking.


As a customer--and probably a reasonably high-value customer on some carriers--I will say that D:0 makes no difference to me except maybe if I'm in a situation where the airline obviously does not care about it. Much more important is A:0 or even, arguably, A:5 or A:10 since other factors (distance from the gate to curbside, whether my Uber driver meets me where he says he is going to be, etc.) can make a bigger difference than arrival time.
I can't decide whether I miss the tulip or the bowling shoe more
 
User avatar
antoniemey
Posts: 1419
Joined: Mon Dec 26, 2005 5:38 pm

Re: What does an airline see about you on the computer?

Wed Aug 31, 2016 2:22 am

Cubsrule wrote:
iahcsr wrote:
Also legally it's in the contract of carriage for all airlines that passengers must be present at the departure gate X number of minutes prior to scheduled departure or the reservation is subject to cancellation.


So you're suggesting that when all of the UA passengers who were . . . umm . . . inconvenienced in GLA a couple of days ago misconnected in EWR, UA could have canceled their onward flights because they were not present at the gate X number of minutes prior to scheduled departure?


No, standard procedure if they're not going to make the connection is to remove them from that flight and allow them to be rebooked on the next available flight in the same class of service. If they never rebook, then, yes they will forfeit the rest of the reservation at the system purge date for their ticket.

VC10er wrote:
Questions: can this gate agent put a note in my file in the computer? (Clearly she hated me).
Larger question: Does/can and airline flag a passenger in the system so that any future agent can see that they are dealing with a reputed difficult passenger?


As others have more or less said, an agent can document the existing PNR (which someone downline may or may not ever read) to cover their butt if you make a complaint. Anything more than that requires getting a lot more corporate level personnel involved than is worth it unless there is a clear pattern of issues with the same passenger.

Based on what you describe, I don't feel the agent you dealt with handled the situation as well as they could have, but I also wasn't there to see it.

When dealing with a high level elite passenger that has not boarded my flight, as a gate agent, I will wait until the time I am supposed to, then give the flight attendant a list of people that can be upgraded to the empty seat AFTER closing the boarding door. In the case of a 1K or Global Service member missing the flight often we will, if able, hold for a couple of extra minutes with all other paperwork and tasks that can be done before door close completed. The crew will also be advised of WHY we're holding for that extra time.

But, I also don't deal with flights that have international business cabins.
Make something Idiot-proof, and the Universe will make a more inept idiot.
 
ikramerica
Posts: 15100
Joined: Mon May 23, 2005 9:33 am

Re: What does an airline see about you on the computer?

Wed Aug 31, 2016 3:44 am

The flight wasn't closed. They seated him in Y. They also knew his connection was late but had arrived because it would be in his record. The gate agent chose to give the seat away.

This happened to me. AA chose to give our paid F seats to Ralph Lauren and friend. We were given the run around at checkin all the way to the gate where they've couldn't confirm our seats. They delayed us at checkin so that when we arrived at the gate we were told we were late. Had to sit in coach and never received compensation.

This was in the late 90s so there was no way to raise a public stink.
Of all the things to worry about... the Wookie has no pants.
 
Cubsrule
Posts: 14636
Joined: Sat May 15, 2004 12:13 pm

Re: What does an airline see about you on the computer?

Wed Aug 31, 2016 1:34 pm

antoniemey wrote:
Cubsrule wrote:
iahcsr wrote:
Also legally it's in the contract of carriage for all airlines that passengers must be present at the departure gate X number of minutes prior to scheduled departure or the reservation is subject to cancellation.


So you're suggesting that when all of the UA passengers who were . . . umm . . . inconvenienced in GLA a couple of days ago misconnected in EWR, UA could have canceled their onward flights because they were not present at the gate X number of minutes prior to scheduled departure?


No, standard procedure if they're not going to make the connection is to remove them from that flight and allow them to be rebooked on the next available flight in the same class of service. If they never rebook, then, yes they will forfeit the rest of the reservation at the system purge date for their ticket.


We're on the same page. He missed a whole lot of nuance.
I can't decide whether I miss the tulip or the bowling shoe more
 
VC10er
Topic Author
Posts: 4275
Joined: Tue Feb 20, 2007 6:25 am

Re: What does an airline see about you on the computer?

Wed Aug 31, 2016 1:41 pm

Thanks to all for your responses!
There is of course more detail to the story that isn't worth getting into, but my primary question has been answered, I think. That is can that agent CAN NOT put a black mark of some sort in a pax record for future agents to see when they have their info up on their computer screen. It seems like "no", not unless it really went pretty far up the chain.

BTW: It was the same airline, same ticket; it was just a connection from one hub to another in order to connect to an international leg. I also want to say that while I admit that I was "visually and verbally angry and upset"...it was in my way, which compared to many other unhappy passengers I've seen in my life, I was not nearly as bad - not even close. As I said, being an A-hole is not my style. I was NOT nasty, I did not swear, and I certainly did not insult this agent. Below is part, not the entire conversation:
- "WHAT???...how could you give my seat away!? (I said in shock)
-""The pilot said that this flight was being held because there were a number of passengers on my flight, as well as more passengers on other late flights" (all incoming flights delayed due to weather)
-"The SUPER PREMIUM desk agent I called just confirmed what the pilot said and said my seat in Business was being held"
(when the agent said "they lied to you" that made me more "cross", still, I never got nasty, difficult perhaps, but not nasty - she said, "call them tomorrow and they will issue a refund")
-"I want the seat I bought, the door is still open and I am not the last of these coming passengers, and I just ran here like crazy to get in my seat"
(I was visibly out of breath - the agent never seemed regretful or as apologetic as I am accustomed to - she was clearly not happy either and mostly stared at her screen and barely looked at me. She said "the flight is full, the flight is very late, it will even be more late... and your seat is gone, all I have are center seats in economy, you can take one of those or we will rebook you.)
-"I said, I tried that and there are no business seats for 2 days plus I would have to be rerouted with 2 stops, no way!"
- I stated my status and asked, "doesn't that count for something?" (no response to that)
-Then, I asked "if someone was "upgraded" into my seat, can't that passenger be told that the original passenger has arrived and give me my seat back?"
THAT IS WHEN I APPARENTLY CROSSED THE LINE
- "NO, I WON'T DO THAT...you either take one of the center seats or I can call security"

I got frightened when she said that, and unhappily said "Ok, I will take a the center seat"

The funny part was once I said "OK, I will take the center seat" she said "I have one at the bulkhead" and I said "great, I will take that"...she printed the boarding pass and when I got to my now assigned center economy seat it was taken. An FA moved someone into it so friends could sit together. I could have made a stink about that, but I didn't want to be a S#1t break-up these 3 friends. So I took the other dead center seat 6 rows back. The flight was at the gate for another 2 hours after I took my center seat.

I am really NOT out to get her. My anger has passed, I'm just irritated and I would appreciate something other than just a refund. This airline used to be very generous, that when things went wrong they automatically would drop 50,000 miles into my account - before complaining. Once, they even sent me a Harry & David fruit and nut tower when they lost my luggage for a couple days. This airline has historically been very, very good to me and this incident is an anomaly out of hundreds of flights. I have never before been this angry with an agent, I'm sure it was a tough night for her, but she clearly was giving me "the hand" (without actually giving me the hand). Given my CLEAR loyalty to this airline that I generally love in spite of it's shortcomings, I didn't want to have my first and only meltdown with them mark me for life: that was my concern.

I have ALWAYS been curious what an agent sees about you when they have your profile up, because sometimes they thank me for my loyalty, more often on board they come to me, when taking my seat and getting the menu, otherwise I am just in boarding group 1, and that's it.

Thanks again to all.
To Most the Sky is The Limit, For me, the Sky is Home.
 
kyrone
Posts: 162
Joined: Thu Mar 31, 2011 1:56 pm

Re: What does an airline see about you on the computer?

Wed Aug 31, 2016 2:45 pm

Having worked in aviation for about fifteen years - you see the good, the bad, and the ugly.

Sometimes agents over-react. Sometimes passengers over-react. I made it practice to always update a PNR when there is an situation, because it is truly amazing how stories change - and you don't always remember everything when a complaint rolls in.

Some examples:

A passenger actually got physical with an employee infront of plenty of witnesses. The police were called. The passenger looked right at the officer, and said it never happened. The officer pointed at the gate camera and said, "What will I see on the camera?" I had never seen someone turn so red.

Or the issues arising from social media. Some airlines want your first and last name on name tags. I had issues with a customer who missed a flight, and he made a complaint. Then he started following me on various personal social media sites, and it was creepy as all get out. After that incident, I will no longer have my last name on a name tag, or give it to a customer. You are welcome to a first name and an employee number - one passenger crossing that line into my personal life was enough.

On the other hand, you have agents with an axe to grind that take it out on customers for no reason. They need to find a new line of work. Aviation is a stressful but rewarding field - if you can no longer have joy in your job or interactions with customers, it's time to move on!
 
iahcsr
Posts: 4777
Joined: Fri Jun 04, 1999 2:59 pm

Re: What does an airline see about you on the computer?

Wed Aug 31, 2016 2:57 pm

Cubsrule wrote:
iahcsr wrote:
Also legally it's in the contract of carriage for all airlines that passengers must be present at the departure gate X number of minutes prior to scheduled departure or the reservation is subject to cancellation.


So you're suggesting that when all of the UA passengers who were . . . umm . . . inconvenienced in GLA a couple of days ago misconnected in EWR, UA could have canceled their onward flights because they were not present at the gate X number of minutes prior to scheduled departure?


Unless the flight is given a hold, it will leave on time without the missing passengers. This is true on most US airlines. The passengers would be rebooked on next available flights and hotel/meals provided if the delay was in the airline control.
The larger the number of pax missing (say 10+) the more likely a hold will be given for a set amount of time.
Working Hard, Flying Right Friendly....
 
mjoelnir
Posts: 9411
Joined: Sun Feb 03, 2013 11:06 pm

Re: What does an airline see about you on the computer?

Wed Aug 31, 2016 3:13 pm

[quote="rfields5421"][/quote]

Typical customer service response: do not bug me with what my company fucked up or promised. I am not responsible and you will never in your life talk to somebody responsible. I am here mainly to stall you. So take what I offer you, you will not get what we sold or promised you anyway.
 
Cubsrule
Posts: 14636
Joined: Sat May 15, 2004 12:13 pm

Re: What does an airline see about you on the computer?

Wed Aug 31, 2016 3:26 pm

iahcsr wrote:
Cubsrule wrote:
iahcsr wrote:
Also legally it's in the contract of carriage for all airlines that passengers must be present at the departure gate X number of minutes prior to scheduled departure or the reservation is subject to cancellation.


So you're suggesting that when all of the UA passengers who were . . . umm . . . inconvenienced in GLA a couple of days ago misconnected in EWR, UA could have canceled their onward flights because they were not present at the gate X number of minutes prior to scheduled departure?


Unless the flight is given a hold, it will leave on time without the missing passengers. This is true on most US airlines. The passengers would be rebooked on next available flights and hotel/meals provided if the delay was in the airline control.
The larger the number of pax missing (say 10+) the more likely a hold will be given for a set amount of time.


You're flip flopping. Rebooking is not the same thing as cancellation . . .
I can't decide whether I miss the tulip or the bowling shoe more
 
OB1504
Posts: 3988
Joined: Tue Jul 27, 2004 5:10 am

Re: What does an airline see about you on the computer?

Wed Aug 31, 2016 5:00 pm

If it was my airline, the most the agent could've done is put some notes in your reservation. The reservation will be purged upon completion of travel. Frontline agents won't be able to see it anymore but I imagine that corporate has a way to pull them up to follow up on feedback received. There's no "permanent record" or anything that a frontline agent can use to mark you as disruptive.

As an agent, I'm extremely busy and dealing with irate customers is part of the job. As such, I usually don't notate records unless it's a baseless complaint (such as the family of 7 who demanded a bigger airplane because a 737 couldn't accommodate them all in one row) or the passenger has engaged in some sort of inappropriate behavior (threats, excessive use of profanity, etc) which would be grounds to terminate the transaction.

For routine check-in, agents don't need to and often don't even look at the notes in the reservation. Usually I only do so when there's a problem, to see what might have caused it and what other problems there have been during the trip. Sometimes there are previous remarks and occasionally you find that someone is a serial complainer. That doesn't affect my treatment of the passenger as I'll still do everything I'm obligated to in order to resolve the problem, but it will affect my willingness to waive/override anything or otherwise break procedure/policy. In that case it's more of a CYA because if the complaint ends up coming in, I want to have done everything by the book so nothing comes back to me.

iahcsr wrote:
Not exactly... CROs are strictly for ADA (American Disabilities Act) matters. Also legally it's in the contract of carriage for all airlines that passengers must be present at the departure gate X number of minutes prior to scheduled departure or the reservation is subject to cancellation.


Technically it's the Air Carrier Access Act (ACAA), not the ADA. Seconded that a CRO won't be able to do anything more than a supervisor could (and in many cases, the CRO and the supervisor are the same person).

Cubsrule wrote:
As a customer--and probably a reasonably high-value customer on some carriers--I will say that D:0 makes no difference to me except maybe if I'm in a situation where the airline obviously does not care about it. Much more important is A:0 or even, arguably, A:5 or A:10 since other factors (distance from the gate to curbside, whether my Uber driver meets me where he says he is going to be, etc.) can make a bigger difference than arrival time.


Agreed. As far as the airlines go, however, an agent causing a flight delay is an unforgivable sin.

kyrone wrote:
Or the issues arising from social media. Some airlines want your first and last name on name tags. I had issues with a customer who missed a flight, and he made a complaint. Then he started following me on various personal social media sites, and it was creepy as all get out. After that incident, I will no longer have my last name on a name tag, or give it to a customer. You are welcome to a first name and an employee number - one passenger crossing that line into my personal life was enough.


For this reason, employees at my company are not required to give last names.
 
VC10er
Topic Author
Posts: 4275
Joined: Tue Feb 20, 2007 6:25 am

Re: What does an airline see about you on the computer?

Wed Aug 31, 2016 7:50 pm

I never worked for an airline in any capacity, especially a front line person. I have been on the front lines at my first 2 jobs: Great Adventure and serving food to hospital patients (I have had food thrown at me). I get the fact that people take out all their anger sometimes on anyone from an amusement ride people loader to a gate agent. The gen-pop can awful, and even that night I lost my Business seat...I remembered how I was treated by people...and it kept me much calmer than I felt inside. God bless all of you who must deal with angry passengers!
To Most the Sky is The Limit, For me, the Sky is Home.
 
Wingtips56
Posts: 1295
Joined: Thu Dec 16, 2010 1:26 am

Re: What does an airline see about you on the computer?

Wed Aug 31, 2016 10:54 pm

I'm surprised to see the implication here that some airlines might not have a function to record comments entered by an agent. At some of the more technically developed airlines I worked for (1981 tech to 2000's tech evolutionary changes being considered), we always documented everything in the record whenever there was something that would likely come back at you, as well as for downline stations. (Then there are the paper incident reports you write for the really big deals.) In Sabre, one can enter "historical remarks", that do live on after the record purges out from the live system. They used to go to microfiche and I assume now are retrievable in more whiz-bang back office systems.

*
As to D.0 departure concerns.... holding a flight for 5 minutes can result in missing a departure slot, resulting in a much longer delay affecting the entire passenger count onboard, or could risk the crew going illegal (not getting in the air before their duty time to begin a trip runs out), and the whole flight cancels. That and passenger complaints about delays is why a gate agent is so much under the gun to get the trip out. At some point, you have to call it a game, seat your upgrades and standbys and go. If a passenger arrives late, whether their own fault or the airline's, you do make an effort to get them onboard, but moving people around is going to cause that delay that affects everyone.

And no, a call to Reservations doesn't get to the gate agent.. The best is a gate-to-gate call, but the departing gate can only wait so long...you could be a runner, or slow walker, stuck on a slow people mover or whatever...they just can't predict when you might actually show up in many situations., and have to get the show on the road. It's not a great spot for you or the gate agent to be in. That said, an agent needs to handle the situation better than it sounds like in the original post.
Worked for WestAir, Apollo Airways, Desert Pacific, Western, AirCal and American Airlines (Retired). Flight Memory: 181 airports, 92 airlines, 78 a/c types, 403 routes, 58 countries (by air), 6 continents. 1,119,414 passenger miles.

Home airport : CEC
 
User avatar
antoniemey
Posts: 1419
Joined: Mon Dec 26, 2005 5:38 pm

Re: What does an airline see about you on the computer?

Wed Aug 31, 2016 11:41 pm

VC10er wrote:
I have ALWAYS been curious what an agent sees about you when they have your profile up, because sometimes they thank me for my loyalty, more often on board they come to me, when taking my seat and getting the menu, otherwise I am just in boarding group 1, and that's it.


Depending on which overlay or direct access system they're using at the moment:

1: name

2: itinerary for the current trip

3: FF number and status if applicable

4: Passport or ID information

5: any contact information given when booking the flight

6: a whole lot of system commentary about changes in flight times, equipment, operating carrier, etc

7: any comments made by other agents you've spoken to.

8: ticket status (checked-in, lifted, used, no value)

A knowledgeable agent will be able to see what changes were made, when, and by whom, but that's about it.
Make something Idiot-proof, and the Universe will make a more inept idiot.
 
User avatar
777Jet
Posts: 6987
Joined: Sat Mar 08, 2014 7:29 am

Re: What does an airline see about you on the computer?

Thu Sep 01, 2016 12:55 am

After a recent experience I wondered if a note could be put on your booking without you knowing saying something like "Give upgrade or exit row if possible on future flight" because of a past experience?

On a flight a few weeks ago a FA spilled my drink over me, the ife screen, the cabin wall, etc (not the usual spill - they flicked the tray up into the bottom of my cup after I took hold of the cup causing the liquid to come up and out everywhere - totally calm flight). Anyway, the following flight a week later, we were seated in the middle of a cabin (between doors), about 10 rows in front of an exit row. An FA asked if we wanted to sit in the exit row. We did not really want to lose our full window view on a 1hr flight and declined, but another FA joined in and insisted. The FAs were being very warm and kind about it so we gave in and moved. There would have been about 80 pax closer to the exit row but they came to us first. The only reason I could think of them picking us out when others were much closer was because a note was in the system in relation to the spill accident on our last flight.

ikramerica wrote:
AA chose to give our paid F seats to Ralph Lauren and friend. We were given the run around at checkin all the way to the gate where they've couldn't confirm our seats. They delayed us at checkin so that when we arrived at the gate we were told we were late. Had to sit in coach and never received compensation.

This was in the late 90s so there was no way to raise a public stink.


Disgusting.

Thank you for mentioning that now.

I'm about to book some SYD-LAX flights and had decided to try to AA 777-300ER; I'll be making to booking in a few hours.

Just reading that means I will avoid AA in this instance and choose another option.

I know all airlines do this but I just read your post now so AA has a tick against it in my mind right now - and that's not good when the credit card is about to be used.

I'll be booking a flight on the UA 789 now :)

I know the revenue from full fare paying premium pax is the most valuable pax money to airlines, but any public complaints can cost the airlines a lot. Even if somebody on a cheap Y ticket posted about their very bad experience, and that review was read by a few thousand people on the internet, and then a few dozen decided not to give business to that airline because of what they read...
DC10-10/30,MD82/88/90, 717,727,732/3/4/5/7/8/9ER,742/4,752/3,763/ER,772/E/L/3/W,788/9, 306,320,321,332/3,346,359,388
 
kennyomg
Posts: 21
Joined: Fri Dec 31, 2010 9:28 pm

Re: What does an airline see about you on the computer?

Thu Sep 01, 2016 1:37 am

This smelled typical UA from the OP on.

VC10er, if you're a GS member you have to face one sad fact: GS agents are selected based on their customer service skills, not their actual knowledge/problem solving ability. Many a times the 1K desk can provide better assistance, assuming you have time to ask not to be bumped to GS before they do it.

As for the incident this very well sounds like they needed the seat for an air marshall. If your plane didn't have First they'd be seated in Business with some unlucky fella getting bumped back to Economy - and the airline will _never_ be able to tell you the reason for this.

Having said that threatening a pax is never good business so you should make sure you report this incident. It will come down to "he said-she said" but facts are on your side (assuming everything you said happened the way you said it). There is also no record where the airline can mark you as a "problem pax", though a list of the more serious offenders are kept, like people who the airline had legal action against, etc.
 
panampreflight
Posts: 132
Joined: Tue Feb 16, 2016 1:12 am

Re: What does an airline see about you on the computer?

Thu Sep 01, 2016 2:57 am

Hi VC10er. I work for an airline there is NO file on you. Each reservation has its own record and that is gone a day after your flight leaves. WHY BE SO POLITICALLY CORRECT???. You should have immediately contacted management at the 800 number and had the agent immediately reprimanded. Never take a bad tone with anyone as it's not any[one 's] persons fault. If you have flown, you know you have to be adult and worldly and a good person. But that agent should have had her behavior brought to the attention to upper management. There is a lot of pressure to behave professionally in this day of customer service. It's her, she's new, or green, not your problem. You paid for your ticket , she didn't. You need to understand where you are in the food chain guy. LOL, LOL--- "FUELGUY" IT DOES SOUND LIKE UNITED. I have been around the world over 40 times and I have never been treated badly except for UA too!!!. Tell the truth and name names on what carrier this was. The world is an open place now and this needs to be told.I actually have friends that work for all the carriers and I like United, there out there doing a hard job everyday too, but these things do happen. Have a sense of humor about this and traveling. Also I would have called the bank and disputed the charge immediately and fought them on it. You should always remain polite, just take a pic of the agent and email it to the presidents office kindly explaining you experience. But ALWAYS be polite.
 
panampreflight
Posts: 132
Joined: Tue Feb 16, 2016 1:12 am

Re: What does an airline see about you on the computer?

Thu Sep 01, 2016 3:34 am

Always REMEMBER, these phones we have are a POWERFUL tool. Use it for good and it will stop this rouge agent abuse.
 
CXfirst
Posts: 3022
Joined: Tue Jan 30, 2007 8:13 pm

Re: What does an airline see about you on the computer?

Thu Sep 01, 2016 3:55 am

VC10er wrote:
Questions: can this gate agent put a note in my file in the computer? (Clearly she hated me).


At the airline I worked for (not going to name it), but which uses a check-in system that many others use. All agents can enter comments that link both with your PNR and your name. Any comment linked with the PNR will show up when you check-in next (likely only the return sector). However, it is very easy to do a search using the name, and all other comments from previous trips will show up. Of course, if you have a very common name, a lot of comments will show up, and an agent is unlikely to read them due to the small chance that they pertain to you.

The agent cannot blacklist you or anything like that, but may put in a comment, contact the security group, and they might. They'd usually base the decision on analysing any other comments that you might have against you and their severity.

All in all, it is very unlikely anyone will look at the comments, unless you become very difficult again, as that section also contains a lot of useless information (documents all sms and emails sent, any changes made to booking, and it isn't unusual for a passenger to have 30 lines of comments that don't really mean anything).

Not sure how long these files last, but I've seen information about passengers that pertains to flights completed at least 6 months ago.

-CXfirst
 
ckfred
Posts: 5188
Joined: Wed Apr 25, 2001 12:50 pm

Re: What does an airline see about you on the computer?

Thu Sep 01, 2016 4:17 am

It's interesting that people on this post have said that US, now AA, has been stingy with refunds for instances where a passenger had paid for a premium seat and wound up sitting in the Y cabin.

Last year, my family was in a a car accident, and both my wife and son wound up with concussions. My son missed several days of school, and about a month of PE, while my wife wound up on short-term disability. My wife had a trip on AA scheduled for about 10 days after the accident, which her doctor strongly advised against taking, in part, because it required a 2-hour drive after the flight.

She contacted AA (the office that deals with refunds, etc must be the former US office, since it's in the Phoenix area), explained her situation, and sent the note from the doctor, as well as the paperwork given by the investigating officer at the scene of the accident.

Long story short, she got a credit for the full value of the ticket.
 
anplatinum
Posts: 44
Joined: Thu Jan 05, 2012 7:57 am

Re: What does an airline see about you on the computer?

Thu Sep 01, 2016 7:00 am

It reminds me of an incident that happened to me a few years ago. I arrived in plenty of time, the sign said that passengers with hand luggage only should proceed to the gate lounge for their boarding pass. I arrived at the gate lounge which was right at the end of the finger and was told that the terminals at the gate lounge were down and I would have to go back to the baggage check in to get a boarding pass. I arrived at the baggage check in, waited in line and when served was told that as it was now 20 minutes before departure they could not issue passes and I would have to go back to the gate lounge to get the boarding pass. When I arrived back at the gate lounge I was told that the flight was full. By then I was getting very red in the face, the boarding attendant took one look at me and said "There is however, a business class seat available and we will upgrade you".
 
cloudboy
Posts: 1124
Joined: Mon Jan 26, 2004 12:38 pm

Re: What does an airline see about you on the computer?

Thu Sep 01, 2016 3:27 pm

Sorry, but I would report the situation, And the employee specifically. In this case the agent was using security as intimidation. That is totally unacceptable in a CS role, and letting things like that go is harmful to both the customer, and even more so the company. While I don't work for an airline, if I had one of my reps do anything like that they probably would not be a rep for long. This is why airlines have such a problem with customer service - issues like these go unreported and unrectified.
"Six becoming three doesn't create more Americans that want to fly." -Adam Pilarski

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos