Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Corpsnerd09
Topic Author

AA Launches New Ad Campaign and Slogan

Tue Aug 30, 2016 4:27 pm

https://skift.com/2016/08/28/american-a ... e-airline/

Two years after American Airlines launched ads focused on its passenger-friendly improvements — like new airplanes, more Wi-Fi and more business class flatbeds — the carrier is switching course with a new, more sophisticated campaign designed to “humanize” its message.

The now-retired ‘Going for Great’ Campaign, “felt like it was a lot about us,” American vice president for marketing Fern Fernandez said, while new ads highlight “the shared mindset between our customers and our employees.”

Instead of bragging about product or routes, American mostly will emphasize its passengers, calling them the “world’s greatest flyers.”

Thoughts?

No more "Going for Great" now it's "The greatest flyers fly American".

Is this related to Kirby leaving?

ckfred

Re: AA Launches New Ad Campaign and Slogan

Tue Aug 30, 2016 4:57 pm

I suspect that the ad campaign was in the making, before Kirby's departure was announced. It's typical for a company that is in or just come out of Chaper 11 to have a campaign about how it's trying to be better. Once you get several years removed from Chapter 11, then you have to change directions with advertising.

Polot

Tue Aug 30, 2016 5:02 pm

AA will not have an all new ad campaign up in running, with commercials already developed, less than 24 hour after someone leaves. This started well before Kirby's departure, and he certainly knew about it. 99% of the people out there could not care less about Kirby and AA(/UA)'s boardroom politics, the ad campaign is completely unrelated.

Corpsnerd09
Topic Author

Tue Aug 30, 2016 5:17 pm

For the record, I'm only asking if you think it's related. I don't think so myself, but it's a good topic to discuss.

I like this over Going for Great, which implied they weren't great to start with. Do you all believe they're going to have a more "human" approach? How would they achieve that?

A friend of mine also suggested this could be thin insult at Delta's Keep Climbing, mostly the "Instead of bragging about product or routes, American mostly will emphasize its passengers, calling them the “world’s greatest flyers.” part. I disagree, but wouldn't mind seeing what others think.

jumbojet

Tue Aug 30, 2016 5:36 pm

AA can change their ad campaign and slogans to whatever they want. What AA really needs to change is their culture of continually and constantly screwing over the flying public, at least those that choose to fly AA. The Big Bad Wolf attitude has always existed at AA and it will never change. This is akin to slapping lipstick on a pig.

MaverickM11

Tue Aug 30, 2016 6:15 pm

It's awful. The world's greatest fliers love babies? What on earth? It makes no sense. I like the idea of world's greatest fliers and it would have been great to do a take on the "Up in the Air" movie--how the greatest fliers expertly navigate travel and how AA helps them do it--but this is just a mess.
I don't take responsibility at all

910A

Tue Aug 30, 2016 10:49 pm

MaverickM11 wrote:
It's awful. The world's greatest fliers love babies? What on earth? It makes no sense. I like the idea of world's greatest fliers and it would have been great to do a take on the "Up in the Air" movie--how the greatest fliers expertly navigate travel and how AA helps them do it--but this is just a mess.

I just saw a new ad. It was awful, the first question for me, what are they selling? On time, No..Great Service, No..

AA737-823

Tue Aug 30, 2016 11:47 pm

I realize that time marches on, yadda yadda yadda, but... the latest rounds of airline slogans in the US are pretty much pitiful.
United's ABC_Friendly is halfway decent. But a bit ironic, given their pretty sad customer service reputation until recently.

So why doesn't American just pick something original, like.... I dunno... Something Special in the Air. Doing what we do best.
With a catchy jingle. Catchy jingles are obsolete, so update it a bit, but... all the other stuff they've come up with is hardly worth the millions they're paying!

Cointrin330

Wed Aug 31, 2016 12:36 am

Yawn.

etops1

Wed Aug 31, 2016 12:51 am

I must admit .. We could've done better ... It doesn't make me say "wow" ..

Sooner787

Wed Aug 31, 2016 1:06 am

I have a better slogan for AA " We love to annoy our customers and it shows" LOL :)

phxsanslcpdx

Thu Sep 01, 2016 9:32 pm

I like this as the kickoff to a broader marketing campaign. I like that it's a thank-you and kudos to AA's passengers, while gently educating non-frequent-fliers about how simple changes to their behavior might lead to a better flying experience. It seems likely that follow-on marketing will make points about how AA is working to support those greatest fliers, surprise giveaways or social media highlighting good works by AA passengers, and how flying AA helps support a well-compensated middle-class American workforce and the various charitable causes AA supports.

I think the primary target audience is millennials with a social-welfare orientation and virtue-signalers of all ages... the types of people who drive a Prius or Tesla and avoid shopping at Wal-Mart, and appreciate being congratulated for their social awareness. It subtly makes the point that such "great" people should take that consideration with them when they fly, too... instead of lining up and throwing elbows to try to snag a good seat on Southwest or paying bottom-of-the-barrel fares on ULCCs that compensate their employees less, the greatest fliers can feel good about a decision to fly AA.

If it were just the ads out so far, this seems disappointing, but looking forward as part of an integrated branding and marketing campaign, this looks like a great start. AA's brand awareness is already plenty high, and the customers they most want to target aren't necessarily going to be impressed by wow-factor advertising. So the real challenge is differentiating AA and its niche... this seems like a solid start to that effort, with the potential side benefit of altering a few travelers' behavior for the better and making an all-around better flying experience.

IPFreely

Thu Sep 01, 2016 9:51 pm

MaverickM11 wrote:
It's awful. The world's greatest fliers love babies? What on earth? It makes no sense.

I think their point is the world's greatest fliers sit in front of a screaming baby for 2 hours and keep their complaints about that and anything else to themselves. They're basically telling passengers to sit down, shut up, don't expect anything from us, and if you have a bad experience it's your own fault.

I like it. These ads probably won't last a month but they'll be part of advertising history for many many years.

BobPatterson

Sat Sep 03, 2016 1:40 pm

IPFreely wrote:
MaverickM11 wrote:
It's awful. The world's greatest fliers love babies? What on earth? It makes no sense.

I think their point is the world's greatest fliers sit in front of a screaming baby for 2 hours and keep their complaints about that and anything else to themselves. They're basically telling passengers to sit down, shut up, don't expect anything from us, and if you have a bad experience it's your own fault.

I like it. These ads probably won't last a month but they'll be part of advertising history for many many years.

A wonderful advertising campaign would include something like:

"Our new fleet-wide improvements introduce the first-ever nursery class lounge (a hermetically sealed area at the rear of all our aircraft) that is a delight for infants-through-4-year-olds. Equipped with sky cribs, crayolas and catered with Oreos, our future first class fliers will love our FA nannies. And parents...............you will at last enjoy flying with bawling babies and escaping the glare from and rude comments by other nap-deprived passengers. Early boarding is now standard for Americans' Premium Nursery Class Service! And don't forget, Babies Earn Double Mileage Points Too!"
Facts are fragile things. Treat them with care. Sources are important. Alternative facts do not exist.

jumbojet

Sat Sep 03, 2016 4:28 pm

how about forgetting the new ads and work on making sure there are gates available for planes that land on schedule. My wife flew AA the other day, LAX-JFK and the flight landed on time. However, they had to wait a whopping 40 minutes for a gate. I mean, really? Whats going on with AA at JFK around 2130 hours that they don't have gates available?

11725Flyer

Sun Sep 04, 2016 1:09 am

This is the best they could do?

pdx

Sun Sep 04, 2016 4:38 am

Sooner787 wrote:
I have a better slogan for AA " We love to annoy our customers and it shows" LOL :)

Or maybe..............

"Making American great again." ???

shamrock350

Sun Sep 04, 2016 5:03 am

It's a good idea on paper but in reality it's completely missed the mark and comes across as patronising instead of celebratory of their passengers. The worst part for me is when it says, "They know their mood contributes to the mood of their flight", because it sounds like they're saying no matter how bad our service is, everything will be great if you all keep smiling!

Visually it's very nice, good choice of music and nice to see the new logo take centre stage but the message has been blurred too much.

MaverickM11 wrote:
I like the idea of world's greatest fliers and it would have been great to do a take on the "Up in the Air" movie--how the greatest fliers expertly navigate travel and how AA helps them do it--but this is just a mess.

This is pretty much how Aer Lingus is currently delivering a similar campaign, instead of being the greatest fliers, Aer Lingus calls their passengers the smartest. The 'Smart Flies Aer Lingus' slogan which was introduced last year is a little bothersome from a grammatical point of view but once paired with the visuals it works very well and explains how we've always loved to travel, become experts in flying and thanks to new service options from Aer Lingus have become the smartest fliers, it gives passengers a well deserved pat on the back while also educating them about new options available to them to make their journey with Aer Lingus even better.

Smart Flies Aer Lingus advert, featuring their 757 at the end: https://vimeo.com/128124129

Shamrock350

Chemist

Sun Sep 04, 2016 8:32 am

I agree it's patronizing. I'm a lifetime million miler on AA and yet the last few years I've been flying Southwest. You know why? Because they have frequency at my local airport, and in over 100 flights I've never encountered anything but pleasant and service-oriented staff. Sure the experience is basic, but there is something to be said for not feeling like you are getting screwed over at every turn with poor attitudes and being nickel and dimed. So AA, instead of a lame new slogan, why not put some of those funds into really improving your service to your customers?

PM

Sun Sep 04, 2016 8:49 am

Does anyone take any of these slogans seriously? We love to fly and it shows. Something special in the air. Blah, blah, blah. Has any slogan ever resulted in a single sale? "I was going to fly with Airline X but I love Airline Y's new slogan!"

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos