Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

tacobell101
Topic Author

Dragonair to be called Cathay Dragon Starting November 21st

Thu Sep 01, 2016 7:08 am

November 20th will be the last day Dragonair will be called Dragonair. Starting November 21st Dragonair will be Cathay Dragon. Everything that changes is the following.

- The name. From Dragonair to Cathay Dragon
- The logo change and all signs at Gates and check in ETC
- New Luggage tags and Boarding Passes.
- New Cabin Crew Uniform Accessories.
- The Dragonair website will show up as the Cathay Pacific Website.

There will be 7 Aircraft painted in the new livery by the 21st. 3 are currently painted. B-HYQ (A333), B-HSO (A322) B-HSM (A322)

More information to come in the following months leading up to the 21st of November.

All information found here: http://downloads.cathaypacific.com/cx/p ... CXW244.pdf

-Taco

kriskim

Re: Dragonair to be called Cathay Dragon Starting November 21st

Thu Sep 01, 2016 7:12 am

When you said "The Dragonair website will show up as the Cathay Pacific Website", so will both airlines use the same 1 website? Meaning that KA won't have its own webpage anymore?
A world built upon connectivity.

tacobell101
Topic Author

Thu Sep 01, 2016 7:15 am

kriskim wrote:
When you said "The Dragonair website will show up as the Cathay Pacific Website", so will both airlines use the same 1 website? Meaning that KA won't have its own webpage anymore?

That is correct. Everything will be done under the Cathay Pacific website

LAX772LR

Fri Sep 02, 2016 1:45 am

tacobell101 wrote:
Everything will be done under the Cathay Pacific website

It'll be interesting to see how they manage that.

Most of what I've heard of KA has been in praise, but I imagine that there could still be some issues if someone was booking what they think was CX and instead was on KA.
I myself, suspect a more prosaic motive... ~Thranduil

RL777

Fri Sep 02, 2016 1:54 am

LAX772LR wrote:
tacobell101 wrote:
Everything will be done under the Cathay Pacific website

It'll be interesting to see how they manage that.

Most of what I've heard of KA has been in praise, but I imagine that there could still be some issues if someone was booking what they think was CX and instead was on KA.

The new website will differentiate between CX and KA operated flights.

Coal

Fri Sep 02, 2016 8:37 am

LAX772LR wrote:

Although MI has its own website, some routes you book on the SQ website are flown on MI. Same concept. Same as booking UA and getting one of those regional airlines flying a CRJ.
Nxt Flts: SQ SIN-KIX | HD UKB-CTS | NH CTS-NRT | SQ NRT-SIN | AK SIN-DPS-SIN

cathay747

Fri Sep 02, 2016 2:14 pm

thanks for the link to CX World...very good piece in there about the final 744's ops!!! And the final aircraft to fly will be B-HUJ which I've flown on!
Try a Little VC-10derness

CXfirst

Fri Sep 02, 2016 2:43 pm

This rebrand definitely makes sense.

My parents booked Australia-HKG-PEK once, and were given the option to connect onto Dragonair or Air China (from CX). They assumed Dragonair was some Chinese low cost airline, and figured Air China would be the safer and better option. They were quite shocked to find out Dragonair was Cathay's regional arm, and by that point, it was too late (too expensive) to rebook.

-CXfirst

tacobell101
Topic Author

Tue Nov 22, 2016 4:03 am

Well the change is in effect now. If anybody has flown with them since the rebrand, what is it like?

ikolkyo

Tue Nov 22, 2016 4:04 am

tacobell101 wrote:
Well the change is in effect now. If anybody has flown with them since the rebrand, what is it like?

It hasn't even been a day yet man.

RacheyFlies

Tue Nov 22, 2016 4:09 am

tacobell101 wrote:

I think they want to be a more better airline than CX I think.
But many planes such as A320's and A330's are already in Cathay Dragon livery.
The best plane I've flown is an A380. They were the biggest and the best than other plane I've been on. :lol:

intotheair

Tue Nov 22, 2016 4:39 am

Coal wrote:
LAX772LR wrote:

Although MI has its own website, some routes you book on the SQ website are flown on MI. Same concept. Same as booking UA and getting one of those regional airlines flying a CRJ.

Eh, not entirely. Dragonair/Cathay Dragon is wholly owned by CX, whereas most regional flying in the US is contracted out to independent carriers operating under the main airline's brand.* There are also some mileage accrual and redemption differences. MI earns no miles on UA MileagePlus or any Star partner, and I think Cathay Dragon has some limited accrual (I don't think it earns any AS miles), while flying UAX/DCI/AAE earns just as many miles as mainline UA/DL/AA flights on participating mileage programs.

*AA owns Envoy, DL owns Endeavor, and AS owns Horizon, but the majority of regional flying is still done by independent carriers like Skywest and Republic.
300 319 320 321 332 333 345 346 380 717 733 734 735 73G 738 739 744 752 753 762 763 772 77W 788 789 CR2 CR7 CR9 CRK Q400 E175 DC10 MD82 MD90
AA AF AS AY AZ B6 BA BR DL F9 FI GA HA KF LH MI QX SK SN SQ UA US VY WN

coolian2

Tue Nov 22, 2016 4:49 am

RacheyFlies wrote:
tacobell101 wrote:

I think they want to be a more better airline than CX I think.
But many planes such as A320's and A330's are already in Cathay Dragon livery.

That's competitiveness :) I've worked in two companies who ran a brand within a brand. One time the "good" brand, one time the "lesser" (although publicly perceived as better).

When we were little brother, we loved to outshine them. When I was with little brother, we took great pride in outshining the big guys.

I have zero doubt Cathay Dragon and Cathay Pacific have a similar culture. Want the best for the overall group, but pride in the uniform anyway.
Q300/ATR72-600/737-200/-300/-400/-700/-800/A320/767-200/-300/757-200/777-300ER/
747-200/-300/-400/ER/A340-300/A380-800/MD-83/-88/CRJ-700/-900

kriskim

Tue Nov 22, 2016 5:06 am

intotheair wrote:
Coal wrote:
LAX772LR wrote:

Eh, not entirely. Dragonair/Cathay Dragon is wholly owned by CX, whereas most regional flying in the US is contracted out to independent carriers operating under the main airline's brand.* There are also some mileage accrual and redemption differences. MI earns no miles on UA MileagePlus or any Star partner, and I think Cathay Dragon has some limited accrual (I don't think it earns any AS miles), while flying UAX/DCI/AAE earns just as many miles as mainline UA/DL/AA flights on participating mileage programs.

*AA owns Envoy, DL owns Endeavor, and AS owns Horizon, but the majority of regional flying is still done by independent carriers like Skywest and Republic.

The main difference here between MI and KA is that KA is a OW affiliate member, whilst MI has no affiliation with *A whatsoever. As a affiliate member, you will get all OW benefits when flying with KA. You can't earn AS miles on KA because, it has nothing to do with KA, AS is only partners with mainline CX. These regional subsidiaries operate independent from their parent companies, so not everything that applies to mainline will apply to them, KA and CX are 2 seperate entities, not 1 large one.
A world built upon connectivity.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos