Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

jayspilot
Topic Author

NASA "Global Hawk" doing 60,000 ft 24 hour long hurricane partrol

Thu Sep 01, 2016 3:41 pm

http://flightaware.com/live/flight/NASA872

I noticed one plane over the middle of the Tropical Storm/Hurricane in the Gulf of Mexico so I clicked on it and up pops a NASA drone 18 hours into a 24 hour mission at 60,000 ft doing patrols over the storm. Pretty cool.... I noticed the hold after departure.... they likely had to climb above controlled airspace in a hot MOA before proceeding on course.

ronfu

Re: NASA "Global Hawk" doing 60,000 ft 24 hour long hurricane partrol

Fri Oct 07, 2016 6:07 pm

Now it's circeling above Mathew along the Florida coast.

ojjunior

Fri Oct 07, 2016 7:49 pm

jayspilot wrote:
http://flightaware.com/live/flight/NASA872

I noticed one plane over the middle of the Tropical Storm/Hurricane in the Gulf of Mexico so I clicked on it and up pops a NASA drone 18 hours into a 24 hour mission at 60,000 ft doing patrols over the storm. Pretty cool.... I noticed the hold after departure.... they likely had to climb above controlled airspace in a hot MOA before proceeding on course.

Right now at FL620 and flying back home apparently.
Amazing flight path right over the border limits to avoid Mexican airspace but still, why not a straight ahead fligh path? Perhaps just a sneak peak to border on the way?

YZF101

Fri Oct 07, 2016 9:21 pm

Saw that earlier....hadn't noted the altitude, just the NASA designation. Pretty cool, I'd imagine the data must have been very interesting. Love to see some photos of that mission. Much safer this way, but still need to do penetration flights, don't think a Global Hawk could take the beating?

The routing probably due to less traffic being parallel to the border, perhaps? (yeah, not so sure this makes much sense at FL600+ lol)

RetiredWeasel

Fri Oct 07, 2016 10:12 pm

YZF101 wrote:
Saw that earlier....hadn't noted the altitude, just the NASA designation. Pretty cool, I'd imagine the data must have been very interesting. Love to see some photos of that mission. Much safer this way, but still need to do penetration flights, don't think a Global Hawk could take the beating?

The routing probably due to less traffic being parallel to the border, perhaps? (yeah, not so sure this makes much sense at FL600+ lol)

Most likely doing survey imaging for the future "Trump Wall". :lol: :roll:

RogerMurdock

Sat Oct 08, 2016 12:53 am

YZF101 wrote:
Much safer this way, but still need to do penetration flights, don't think a Global Hawk could take the beating?

The NOAA WP-3D Orions have been flying through the hurricane at FL100 over the past few days. Here's video of what it's like to fly through the eye wall into the eye: https://twitter.com/JamesVanFleet/statu ... 0536726528

YZF101

Sat Oct 08, 2016 4:33 pm

RetiredWeasel wrote:
YZF101 wrote:

Most likely doing survey imaging for the future "Trump Wall". :lol: :roll:

I was going to make a tongue-in-cheek comment about The Wall, but figured I'd keep the politics outta this one. Touche, Mr/Ms Weasel :)

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos