Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

dasFlugzeug

Re: Airport Food Options: Getting too High-End, too Expensive

Fri Sep 02, 2016 3:06 pm

Just recently I was blown away at the prices in MIA. I stopped at the Nathan's hotdog joint and got three hotdogs, soft drinks, and one small order of fries for myself and my travel companions. Even with my airport employee discount, it still came to $30. Unbelievable. I suppose it was my fault for ordering without checking prices first. Oh and btw, the hotdogs were gross.

panampreflight

Fri Sep 02, 2016 3:06 pm

YOU ARE RIGHT!!!. LAX is the WORST. I got stuck there for about 4 hours on a DL connection back in May and I had to pay $17 for a SMALL PIZZA and that did not include the tip of $5 I left because the prices were so high the other customers were only leaving $1 and I felt sorry for the kind waitress. Other airports are better, New Orleans is very reasonable and you get excellent local food, many choices. Atlanta is great too as I got off a night flight with DL and got a quick Mc Donalds Mc Muffin for $3. YAY for ATL!!!. It probably is coming from the governments [airports] charging HIGH rent so the merchants have to charge $20 for a coke to make a profit. You are not the olne one that has noticed this.

psa188

Fri Sep 02, 2016 3:17 pm

DCA-ROCguy wrote:
Is it just me, or are airport food options getting too high-end and too expensive? When I am in an airport, food is a blast of protein and caffeine to get me through my trip to where I'm going. That's it. I usually travel alone and it is not a social experience. I want to stay functional and get where I'm going. I do not want to pay a lot of money. I am only interested in your local food / brewery if I am not going to overpay for it. Lunch total should not cost more than $6, dinner not more than $12, maybe $15. If I get a bottle of water and candy bar the total cost needs to be under $5. I do not care how grand the airport you are building is. That is not my problem.Jim

I'm with you. I hate paying $10 for a grab and go sandwich washed down with a $5 bottle of water. Problem is, they've got you by the 'nads if you're past security.

jetwet1

Fri Sep 02, 2016 3:24 pm

mtnwest1979 wrote:

LAS by far of the airports I have been to is the most outrageous on price. A Wendy's sausage biscuit that was $.99 at SEA was $2.99 at LAS.
I always tell people to avoid flying thru LAS if they plan on eating on the fly, yet I always seem to end ip in LAS then , lol. Even yesterday is an example of that.
:)

While I agree that the burger joints at LAS have a high pricing point, look further, Pei Wei is at LAS now, most of their meals are maybe $1 more than street price and it is still less than a burger meal.

Also at SFO I hit Deli Up pretty much every time when i'm in the international terminal, not bad pricing and good sandwiches.

BUFJACK10

Fri Sep 02, 2016 3:26 pm

I do have to say the offerings at BUF are relatively good ranging from fast food to sit down. Checkers replaced Burger King and if you're in the mood for Mickey D'S or Starbucks and have the time, they're a short walk across Genessee Street. The prices may be a little higher but all in all not too bad. They are much better now than a few years ago. I do have to admit the NFTA has done a nice job in attracting decent eateries.

Too many airports now price gouge, but one also has to remember when visiting airports like JFK, LGA,LAX,SFO DCA, prices may be more based on the cost of living in those areas and what locals are used to paying.

http://buffaloairport.com/Guide/Shops.aspx
AA AK AL AQ AS B6 CO DL EA FL F9 HP KN NY MO NW PA PE PI RC QX TW UA UR US WN AF AN AO CS IB OA TR VS
A300 A319 A320 BAE146 BAC111 DC8 DC9 DC10 MD80 707 717 727 737 747 757 767 777 787 L10 F27 F28 F100 ERJ CRJ SE-210 SSC B1900 ATR42 ATR72 DH8 E120 SWM

manny

Fri Sep 02, 2016 6:49 pm

I am ok with having decent food options. But they should be reflected in the food quality as well and not just a means of gouging money.

Also for some people it is a matter of affordability. A couple of years back at The Chophouse in Terminal A in Denver which charged like 9-10 bucks for a beer back than. I saw a American serviceman on the way home looking at his bill in disbelief after getting a couple of beers. It was great that a few of us chipped in to pay that bill. But the food and drink options need to be varied enough to be afforded by all.

Indy

Fri Sep 02, 2016 7:03 pm

Personally I think ATL is terrible when it comes to dining choices. Not many places to choose from if you want to dine in. I used to go to Chili's but they took it out. I think MSP has some great choices. Maybe one of the best when it comes to true variety.
Indy = Indianapolis and not Independence Air

ATA L1011

Fri Sep 02, 2016 9:12 pm

I agree with all of the LAX comments about the high high pricing it so so true, one thing that you can do if you have a long enough layover which many people do currently is to do the following. Walk to the In and Out, or Ralphs grocery store with several other options in that shopping center area all on Sepulveda Bl to eat. I would not suggest doing it for a short layover although.
Treat others as you expect to be treated!

intotheair

Fri Sep 02, 2016 11:13 pm

ATA L1011 wrote:
I agree with all of the LAX comments about the high high pricing it so so true, one thing that you can do if you have a long enough layover which many people do currently is to do the following. Walk to the In and Out, or Ralphs grocery store with several other options in that shopping center area all on Sepulveda Bl to eat. I would not suggest doing it for a short layover although.

That certainly sounds adventurous. I'd also suggest just going to the new TBIT if you're past security and can walk there airside (I think you can do it from T4-8). I've never had a flight out of there, but I had a layover of sorts when I had an arriving flight and had to wait around a few hours for my Global Entry appointment, so I spent the afternoon in TBIT. I was impressed. I didn't go anywhere other than one of the Starbucks, but even that was very nice. It's a real Starbucks with lots of nice, comfortable seating, and it's even one of their new concept stores that serves beer and wine. ;) It looked like there were a lot of high quality restaurants in the middle of the concourse as well.
300 319 320 321 332 333 345 346 380 717 733 734 735 73G 738 739 744 752 753 762 763 772 77W 788 789 CR2 CR7 CR9 CRK Q400 E175 DC10 MD82 MD90
AA AF AS AY AZ B6 BA BR DL F9 FI GA HA KF LH MI QX SK SN SQ UA US VY WN

ikramerica

Fri Sep 02, 2016 11:23 pm

jfklganyc wrote:
He's right. Airports are saying goodbye to McDonalds and China Panda and hello to more upscale dining. And yes, the price is higher.

The flying public wants better food options. But you are correct, they should still keep a Mickey Ds for the people that want a fast food, cheap, quick option.

Not likely the entire monolithic flying public wants these things. What it is is the same reason that the internet went all white/white space, and they pulled out IFE on UA in favor of streaming on tablets, and all sorts of other things. Some millennial consultants 2 years out of college asked a focus group lots of questions, then hear what they (the millennials who ran the group) to hear, and impose it on everyone. The airports want to be "hip" and "with it" and want to be able to brag about all this, so they approve taking out high volume, popular but "not cool" chains and put in local, slow service, trendy ingredient sit down places. And then, since XYZ airport did it, then ZYX has to do it lest some jaded journalist condemn them for actually providing places people wanted to eat at.

You are attributing a mass desire to pay more and sit around to a flying public that will step over their grandmother to board first and to pay next to nothing for a seat, and will show no loyalty to any airline if airline B offers an inferior product for $1 less. Yet these same people are demanding EXPENSIVE, CHI-CHI food everywhere they go? Hardly...
Of all the things to worry about... the Wookie has no pants.

zkncj

Fri Sep 02, 2016 11:55 pm

MAH4546 wrote:
MIA does not allow tenants to charge more than local street pricing for food items, which keeps prices there in check.

LAX is ridiculous. The best bargains are the domestic airline lounges - Alaska and American have pretty good menus that can fill you up for less than $10.

Outside of the USA these lounges would typically provide 'free meals' rather than an menu that you have to purchase from.

DTWPurserBoy

Fri Sep 02, 2016 11:57 pm

One of the problems, in addition to the higher costs of having the food screened by security and prepared by cleared workers is the exorbitant rents charged by the airports to the vendors. Many simply cannot offer their products at street prices, pay the high rents and stay in business. Grab and go sandwiches and the ubiquitous water bottle are here to stay.
Qualified on Concorde/B707/B720/B727/B737/B747/B757/B767/B777/DC-8/DC-9/DC-10/A319/A320/A330/MD-88-90

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos