Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

LeCoqFrancais
Topic Author

American Airlines pilots injured by laser beam

Thu Sep 01, 2016 8:11 pm

An American Airlines Airbus A321-200, registration N509AY performing flight AA-1806 from Charlotte,NC to Boston,MA (USA), was on final approach to runway 22L descending through about 2000 feet MSL when a laser beam through the windshield struck both pilots causing eye injuries to both of them. The crew managed to land the aircraft safely about 3 minutes later.
The FAA reported two flight crew received unknown eye injuries when the aircraft was struck by a laser.

http://avherald.com/h?article=49d669a9
--
We really need to have a harsh sentence for the people who perform such acts.

PC12Fan

Re: American Airlines pilots injured by laser beam

Thu Sep 01, 2016 9:35 pm

LeCoqFrancais wrote:

I think attempted mass murder would be appropriate. It has the potential to happen.

alasizon

Thu Sep 01, 2016 9:40 pm

PC12Fan wrote:
LeCoqFrancais wrote:

I think attempted mass murder would be appropriate. It has the potential to happen.

I wouldn't be surprised if some hot shot came along and tried charging them with 150 counts of attempted murder/manslaughter but the problem really is they have to prove intent to kill.

clrd4t8koff

Thu Sep 01, 2016 10:05 pm

I've never used a laser so perhaps it's easier than I'm guessing - but how does one get a laser beam to shoot 2000 feet into the air, perfectly aim it to hit the cockpit, AND directly into the eyes of the pilots? Seems challenging especially with the plane traveling the speed it's going.

PDX757

Thu Sep 01, 2016 10:48 pm

clrd4t8koff wrote:
I've never used a laser so perhaps it's easier than I'm guessing - but how does one get a laser beam to shoot 2000 feet into the air, perfectly aim it to hit the cockpit, AND directly into the eyes of the pilots? Seems challenging especially with the plane traveling the speed it's going.

The beam scatters proportionally to the distance from the source. So absolute precision isn't necessary as the width of the beam is large enough to hit a relatively large portion of an aircraft. At 2000 feet, the aircraft would be low and slow enough to allow a scofflaw to wave a laser pointer around enough to at least briefly flag it.

airplanedaj

Fri Sep 02, 2016 12:30 am

clrd4t8koff wrote:

I've seen a few videos about this, and typically the perpetrator is just running their laser over the general area of the airplane as it goes near them, and hoping to get lucky (or for the pilots, unlucky). At those distances, the laser is still very potent, and actually increases in size from a point a few inches across to a foot wide or more. And also, these airplanes are not moving so fast that it is difficult to track either.

flyingclrs727

Fri Sep 02, 2016 12:45 am

How hard is it to add laser protection to cockpit windows?

YZF101

Fri Sep 02, 2016 3:16 am

flyingclrs727 wrote:
How hard is it to add laser protection to cockpit windows?

It should be relatively easy - same as putting tint on (in) automobile windows. Perhaps silver or gold for reflectivity. (isn't there a USN jet that has a gold cockpit canopy?) I am aware that tinitng for a car is a lot different than for an aircraft....testing/certification etc., but considering the frequency of these incidents, something should be pursued.

lebda

Fri Sep 02, 2016 3:30 am

I can't believe people think this is a good idea. It's disgusting.

Viscount724

Fri Sep 02, 2016 3:48 am

There are usually 5 to 10 laser strike reports in the Transport Canada daily occurrence reports almost every day, and that's just in Canada. There must be hundreds worldwide.

RWA380

Fri Sep 02, 2016 3:49 am

alasizon wrote:
PC12Fan wrote:
LeCoqFrancais wrote:

I wouldn't be surprised if some hot shot came along and tried charging them with 150 counts of attempted murder/manslaughter but the problem really is they have to prove intent to kill.

That is not correct, you don't have to prove intent, by the laser being pointed at a plane you already have intent. Even if the person aiming that laser has no intent of blinding pilots & causing an accident, it's a reasonable conclusion to a reckless & very illegal act. Hang 'em in the town square!

People are convicted of murder without any intent at all, like involuntary homicide for example. But this act is far more dastardly, this person has with intent, pointed a laser at a plane full of people, it wouldn't be hard or a stretch to place 150 attempted murder charges on any sick freak who does this.

The problem is they are having a hard time finding those sources of laser attacks, what many may not know is there is technology available that can trace back laser beams even after they have stopped being energized. I won't claim to know what that technology looks like or how it operates, but trust me, such an animal exists in military applications. I have heard it senses where disruptions are made in air particles at a certain frequency.

Brewfangrb

Fri Sep 02, 2016 4:48 am

RWA380 wrote:
alasizon wrote:
PC12Fan wrote:

That is not correct, you don't have to prove intent, by the laser being pointed at a plane you already have intent. Even if the person aiming that laser has no intent of blinding pilots & causing an accident, it's a reasonable conclusion to a reckless & very illegal act. Hang 'em in the town square!

People are convicted of murder without any intent at all, like involuntary homicide for example.

No, this is incorrect. Murder is a form of homicide that DOES require intent. All murders are homicides, but not all homicides are murders.

You might think it's semantics, but the words matter.

The problem is, attempted manslaughter doesn't really exist, because manslaughter, by definition, requires an unintentional act.

Absent a crash, you could easily charge 2 counts of battery for the injury to the pilots. You could charge reckless endangerment or a substantively similar offense for the risk of crashing the plane. I don't really know if you could charge a count of reckless endangerment for each passenger.

But battery is typically a felony. 2 counts there with a maximum sentence and a maximum sentence for 1 count of reckless endangerment is still a fairly severe term.
Last edited by Brewfangrb on Fri Sep 02, 2016 4:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

airjamaica

Fri Sep 02, 2016 6:38 am

It really annoys me to read about the jack asses who keep doing this. Hopefully they will be able to add laser protection to cockpit windows as a previous poster suggested as these idiots continue this dangerous practice.

b747400erf

Fri Sep 02, 2016 10:41 am

airjamaica wrote:
It really annoys me to read about the jack asses who keep doing this. Hopefully they will be able to add laser protection to cockpit windows as a previous poster suggested as these idiots continue this dangerous practice.

They are easily available and people do not understand what damage they can do. I do not see this as malicious more just bored and doing stupid things for fun, without realizing you can damage the eyesight of pilots.

Seabear

Fri Sep 02, 2016 1:52 pm

Laser-guided munitions?

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos